Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think Midsommar did a pretty good job capturing what being on acid is like, my last experience with it was sitting on a beach wondering why my hand was merging with sand and Dani has a similar scene but with grass

Or it coulda been a metaphor for how she needs to touch grass
She's dissociated af throughout that entire movie, and it's also b/c the cult in that movie does textbook poo poo to keep the victims tired, hungry, and off-balance so they're more pliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mind the walrus posted:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the closest to actual dreamfeel I've ever seen in a movie, although it's hamstrung by forcing characters to scream what's going on lest the audience feel confused for even a millisecond.

I hate hate hate hated this movie. Might have been because I had a terrible girlfriend at the time and went and saw it with her terrible mother and they wouldn't shut the gently caress up about how brilliant it was.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I hate hate hate hated this movie. Might have been because I had a terrible girlfriend at the time and went and saw it with her terrible mother and they wouldn't shut the gently caress up about how brilliant it was.

It's not as brilliant as it thinks it is, that's for drat sure. That's pretty much every Kaufman script, though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

It's not as brilliant as it thinks it is, that's for drat sure. That's pretty much every Kaufman script, though.
Synecdoche, New York is legit genius though.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah Midsommar did it best. In my experience psychedelics are subtle like that with the effects where the breathing objects and oscillating colors just kind of blend in with reality and you get this overwhelming feeling of things being "off" or "strange"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's twee as balls, Jim Carrey is 12 years too old for his part, and the insights it has are kind-of basic...

... but it has some really good poo poo in it. Kate Winslet and Elijah Wood are really good.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Haven't seen it, added to my queue.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Prob my favorite movie of all time :hai:

dreezy posted:

even more egregious was the end of synedoche new york where a preacher yells the theme of the movie directly at the audience

This is kind of a funny take because of how hard it misses the actual themes of the movie. The title of the movie is literally synecdoche, new york and you missed the fact that the preacher's monologue is one of many literal synecdoches in the movie, which in that specific case is largely a metaphor for getting caught up in your own bullshit and thinking it isolates you from society because it's something no one else understands despite the fact that everyone understands it and could have helped give you perspective on it if you hadn't spent your entire life pushing them away because you thought they'd never understand. The point of the monologue was showing PSH's character what the audience already knew in the most direct and obvious way possible - because it's a reductive synecdoche, the thing that the movie is about. The whole point is that he's not some ultra-complex inexplicable genius like he thinks he is, he's just A Guy who has the same experience as everyone else, to the point where a random preacher was able to explain his entire life story (the thing he's putting together a gigantically-scaled play for and still failing to capture) in a single simple monologue.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 1, 2024

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think Midsommar did a pretty good job capturing what being on acid is like, my last experience with it was sitting on a beach wondering why my hand was merging with sand and Dani has a similar scene but with grass

Or it coulda been a metaphor for how she needs to touch grass
I thought they (the cult) were drinking some hallucinogenic stuff

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

mind the walrus posted:

It's twee as balls, Jim Carrey is 12 years too old for his part, and the insights it has are kind-of basic...

... but it has some really good poo poo in it. Kate Winslet and Elijah Wood are really good.

my favorites in that were tom wilkinson and mark ruffalo. however my kaufman film of choice is definitely adaptation. cage cooper and streep are all just perfect in it

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Prob my favorite movie of all time :hai:

This is kind of a funny take because of how hard it misses the actual themes of the movie. The title of the movie is literally synecdoche, new york and you missed the fact that the preacher's monologue is one of many literal synecdoches in the movie, which in that specific case is largely a metaphor for getting caught up in your own bullshit and thinking it isolates you from society because it's something no one else understands despite the fact that everyone understands it and could have helped give you perspective on it if you hadn't spent your entire life pushing them away because you thought they'd never understand.

no i got it i just didnt like it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, Syncedoche is surprisingly uncomplicated it just requires a long time to trace its thematic and narrative shapes properly, so by the end of the movie you're spent

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, Syncedoche is surprisingly uncomplicated it just requires a long time to trace its thematic and narrative shapes properly, so by the end of the movie you're spent

This is a good take because it is itself a synecdoche of what the entire movie is about and warns against :hmmyes:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Saltburn

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

temple posted:

I thought they (the cult) were drinking some hallucinogenic stuff
They (the American visitors) take mushrooms when they first get to Sweden and start the walk into the woods to the commune. That's where Dani has the major hallucination of her dead parents in the outhouse.
e: yeah they also drink something hallucinogenic during the maypole dance at the end.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Krustic posted:

Saltburn

Entertaining and engaging, but then falls apart in the final act, and reveals itself to have nothing of value to say at all. A movie made by a huge posho, about huge poshos.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Hate to say it but the most realistic dream sequences I’ve ever seen are AI generated. I can’t find it now but one showed up on Instagram recently that was way too much like a real dream. loving vague shifting images you can never really focus on. Not hyper realistic cinema experiences with distorted faces, but brief and bewildering and somehow completely unmemorable.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Hereditary sucked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

Entertaining and engaging, but then falls apart in the final act, and reveals itself to have nothing of value to say at all. A movie made by a huge posho, about huge poshos.
No but you see if we say it's a satire then it's a satire. If we say it's about the discomfort and discontent of the upper class something something then everyone wins, right? That's how it works?

Technowrite posted:

Hereditary sucked.
Only movie I've seen where every piece is great but the whole somehow sucks a butt. Think I've said it before but gently caress it I'm stale -- it feels like what happens when you skip a freshman ahead a few years because of high test scores.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Remember when podcasts about a series had the good graces to be hosted by nobodies and you didn't have to be embarrassed hearing advertisements by c-listers from the show beg you for clicks

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't listen to podcasts. Problem solved.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
If everyone seems to love something I automatically love it too, can't help you op

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Grem posted:

If everyone seems to love something I automatically love it too, can't help you op

I honestly have a problem with this if I watch it with an enthusiastic group. I'll see something in a theater, vibe with everyone, and then watch it with someone at home and be like, "Oh woah, this sucks!" I have to rewatch stuff solo before I can confidently recommend it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i always watch things alone just to ensure ill properly despise them

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

rodbeard posted:

I don't listen to podcasts. Problem solved.

Man I'm not sure I've ever seen a group pat themselves on the back more than people that don't listen to podcasts.

Cool, great.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There's some good podcasts out there.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man I'm not sure I've ever seen a group pat themselves on the back more than people that don't listen to podcasts.

Cool, great.

its the new "i dont watch tv"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

If you put on a show or movie but don't pay attention isn't that like a podcast with extra steps? makes u think

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I guess it doesn't make sense really, but I definitely like podcasts less when I know the people making them are earning like £70k per month just from the pod revenue alone, and then do sell out arena tours of the podcast to supplement their income.

I think podcasts feel kind of intimate and personal, and the vast amounts of money being made from them kinda ruins that effect.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah and when they get to that point the ads typically get ramped up too, gotta chase that bag.

Humans kinda suck, for the most part.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There's a podcast, not naming names, that preaches all the be wholesome, be kind to everyone mentality, quick force it into every episode how liberal we are and yeah I wish all humans were that lovely, maybe we would be all that nice if we earned £10,000 a month talking about videogames as our job. Lmao

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I know it was a couple pages back and its hardly a beloved film but goddamn do I hate Dunkirk. How the hell do you make Dunkirk, of all things, look so goddamn unimpressive. There were like...6 boats and 4 planes in the whole movie.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Roblo posted:

I know it was a couple pages back and its hardly a beloved film but goddamn do I hate Dunkirk. How the hell do you make Dunkirk, of all things, look so goddamn unimpressive. There were like...6 boats and 4 planes in the whole movie.

I don't like Atonement, but the Dunkirk scene in it is far better at depicting the scale & conditions of the evacuation.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Some podcasts are ok. I listened to many episodes of one called The History of English that traced etymology of many words as far back as it could and also how the words changed through time

I do think it’s weird how people just need a direct pipeline to slurping down another persons thoughts on a thing tho

Slurp slurp

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Worf posted:

I do think it’s weird how people just need a direct pipeline to slurping down another persons thoughts on a thing tho

Always have op.

Talk radio and commentary shows were around for a long time before the first podcast.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Always have op.

Talk radio and commentary shows were around for a long time before the first podcast.

Yes, and the people that need those in their lives for the same reason are identical for the same reason

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Worf posted:

how is a podcast any different in that regard than a book or article? and what on earth wrong with listening to or reading about another persons thoughts on a thing :confused:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i dont really see how youd ever understand my position, since youre begging me to infuse your head with it

but it has a lot to do with people simply adopting another person's perspective as their own wholesale, and the frequency with which that happens

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Worf posted:

i dont really see how youd ever understand my position, since youre begging me to infuse your head with it

Maybe you should try podcasting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Worf posted:

but it has a lot to do with people simply adopting another person's perspective as their own wholesale, and the frequency with which that happens

yea there's nothing at all particular to podcasts in that regard. or any media. again people do exactly that with books, stories, commentators who write articles, tv channels, etc. it's also like one of the fundamental mechanisms by which religions and cultures and political idealogies have spread over large areas. the invention of the podcast changed literally nothing in that regard