Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Super Slash posted:

So uh... when it comes to doing a handover/knowledge transfer of your whole SMB environment what's the best way to go about it? Or at least what are the most important subjects to cover within a day?

My last day is this Friday and there's a guy coming in to replace me who I don't know their name nor their experience level. I do have a Confluence knowledgebase with lots of articles for the IT side of the business in addition to a KeePass database and different service providers, fortunately there's also going to be one of our MSP engineers here as well.

Although I do hate the place I at least want to give the best send off I can so my successor isn't just twisting in the wind.

Just braindump the most critical stuff, show him where your documentation is, and then laugh your rear end off when you hear about him quitting a week after you "trained" him (may have happened to me after my last job)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sickening posted:

I didn't exactly care about free, just before I buy something again I wanted opinions for options. I have used visio for years for no other reason than that is what was available to me.

Do any of the alternatives to visio have any way to generate shapes programatically? I desperately want something I can integrate with an MS SQL DB and say "run this query, create a square for every row returned, and label it with field 1 space field 2 newline field 3 x field 4".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't that UML?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
It's looking like I'm going to :yotj: before the end of the week. new company is trying to get me to give a 1 week or 1.5 week notice. I'd like to not burn any bridges so what does the thread think about giving < 2 weeks notice. seems like bad form but this is my second salaried job

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they want you then I don't see why they can't wait an extra week / half a week. Depends how you feel about your current place, I'd always want to give my notice period though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

If they want you then I don't see why they can't wait an extra week / half a week. Depends how you feel about your current place, I'd always want to give my notice period though.

this is the correct statement

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Do any of the alternatives to visio have any way to generate shapes programatically? I desperately want something I can integrate with an MS SQL DB and say "run this query, create a square for every row returned, and label it with field 1 space field 2 newline field 3 x field 4".

Don't know about alternatives, but I've been able to draw some simple diagrams with Powershell. I have a standard form at work for new servers, and using it I can automatically create Visio diagrams.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kashuno posted:

this is the correct statement

I'd also add that it's not a good sign that your new company is asking this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

:agreed:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

On the Mac side I like OmniGraffle.

This times infinity. With the pro option you can export Visio format as well.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

:ohdear:

It's odd. The CEO reached out to me about a month ago regarding the position and things were fairly slow moving until this week. I'm wondering if someone left recently and they've been getting slammed with support calls. I certainly don't hate where I work now so I'd like to be as courteous as possible when exiting as I am not sure that they see this coming. I think I'll stick to two weeks - what's really the difference between starting on a Thursday and starting on the following Monday?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh man...

so the most senior member of our team (besides CIO) walked in today, said 'Goodbye' and walked out. :yotj: ?
OH MAN I just realized that today was his 5 year anniversary. He's now vested for his pension. Yeah, he totally quit.

Okay so this isn't as great as I thought. He was actually put on leave right in the middle of several critical projects. All of his work is being reassigned, nobody knows what the gently caress is going on with half this poo poo and we are probably gonna have to start over on most of it.
Apparently the whole thing was because he went to the doctor to get bloodwork done, the boss didn't see his out of office notification, and when we had an outage he was unreachable. There were like 4 other people in the office and he wasn't even on call. He came in, manager grabbed him and said "you can't be here" and he left with a really confused face. What in the actual gently caress?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Okay so this isn't as great as I thought. He was actually put on leave right in the middle of several critical projects. All of his work is being reassigned, nobody knows what the gently caress is going on with half this poo poo and we are probably gonna have to start over on most of it.
Apparently the whole thing was because he went to the doctor to get bloodwork done, the boss didn't see his out of office notification, and when we had an outage he was unreachable. There were like 4 other people in the office and he wasn't even on call. He came in, manager grabbed him and said "you can't be here" and he left with a really confused face. What in the actual gently caress?

Hahaha holy poo poo :rip:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:rip:

What the hell even is this

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:rip:

What the hell even is this

I've been asking myself that all day.
It appears like they're gonna fire the most senior member of our team for taking sick leave to go to the doctor.

If that doesn't scream "wrongful termination suit" then I have no loving clue what would.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It appears like they're gonna fire the most senior member of our team for taking sick leave to go to the doctor.

If that doesn't scream "wrongful termination suit" then I have no loving clue what would.

They'll spin it as he was late a few times.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

If that is actually what's going down, it sounds like the ship is sinking.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Whoops he's going to hit his pension" termination. It won't be wrongful unless he's in a special state, union, or contract. That pension has me hopeful it's the latter.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Nah that's definitely not the case.
However I wouldn't be surprised if they're just using the absence as an excuse to get rid of him. He regularly questions the terrible decisions of our management, openly disagrees when bad knee jerk reactions to problems are made, and generally refuses to take the blame for the issues caused by management. So naturally, he never got along well with the management.

H110Hawk posted:

"Whoops he's going to hit his pension" termination. It won't be wrongful unless he's in a special state, union, or contract. That pension has me hopeful it's the latter.

Nah, he already GOT it. Plus he's not even fired yet, he's still on leave. I'm flabbergasted honestly.

Sickening posted:

Sounds like a micromanager that has and employee who refuses to be micromanaged.

VVV bingo. But why now after 5 loving years?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sounds like a micromanager that has and employee who refuses to be micromanaged.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

However I wouldn't be surprised if they're just using the absence as an excuse to get rid of him. He regularly questions the terrible decisions of our management, openly disagrees when bad knee jerk reactions to problems are made, and generally refuses to take the blame for the issues caused by management. So naturally, he never got along well with the management.

Yep. I mean doing these things all require a bit of finesse though. He probably knew the risks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nah, he already GOT it. Plus he's not even fired yet, he's still on leave. I'm flabbergasted honestly.

Do days on administrative leave count towards pension vesting?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This sounds like an actually good manager.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I was going to say. My manager agrees on every subject with his manager, and is worthless.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

H110Hawk posted:

Do days on administrative leave count towards pension vesting?

Not sure, but he's already vested as of today anyway and vacation time counts which I'm sure he still has.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This sounds like an actually good manager.

I think he would have made an actually good manager. :(

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So I splurged and bought myself a 1TB SSD for my home PC, ostensibly (and honestly) with the intended purpose of serving as the storage for my VMs. In reality I only need like 150-200GB max for that. The rest will be Steam games, probably.

I enabled Hyper-V on my PC and I have two VMs, Server 2016 and W10. Got them talking to each other (took longer than I'd like: first I had to figure out the right network adapter, get their IPs/masks configured, and then an exception on the firewall for ICMP Echos) and now I'm about to promote the 2016 VM to be a DC.

I really, really should've done this stuff a long time ago. Even in the basic setup stuff I feel like I'm learning a lot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If you haven't given notice yet, this is an opportunity for a signing bonus. "Leaving my current position on less than two weeks notice would come at a cost to my professional reputation, so I consider it only fair that I be compensated in some way."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I really, really should've done this stuff a long time ago. Even in the basic setup stuff I feel like I'm learning a lot.
Oh god yes. I learn more in my lab than I do at work. That's not diminishing my job at all, but the job is about maintaining those five nines and working on whichever project we sold to whoever is throwing money at us this month. At home, it's "you know, I'm hearing the word Jenkins a lot lately, let's grab a copy, install it, and see what trouble we can get into."

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
For those of you stuck managing iSeries devices, does anyone use a hosted provider? We have one in-house that we're looking to either move off-site o just switch to a vendor who will host it for us. It's critical for our day-to-day operations at the moment so it has to be included in our soon-to-be-revamped DR setup,

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've never used a hosting provider but given how unique the whole platform happens to be there's a big benefit to simply outsourcing the whole thing.

DR depending how far you want to go can be simple as an Option 21 Backup to tape or virtual tape which any decent System Admin can at the least perform backups. For a restore you'd probably want help from a Vendor or IBM.

Power HA is also an option but obviously needs care and isn't cheap.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Tab8715 posted:

I've never used a hosting provider but given how unique the whole platform happens to be there's a big benefit to simply outsourcing the whole thing.

DR depending how far you want to go can be simple as an Option 21 Backup to tape or virtual tape which any decent System Admin can at the least perform backups. For a restore you'd probably want help from a Vendor or IBM.

Power HA is also an option but obviously needs care and isn't cheap.

I agree, we have the benefit of having 2 programmers for it in--house but as our use of it continues to dwindle we really don't want to have to deal with the whole hardware/software upgrade dance. Our current DR strategy is simply that, restoring a 21 backup at a colo we rent from an MSP. However as we look to move our prod infrastructure to AWS or something we don't want to be stuck with the iSeries on-prem.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

:ohdear:

It's odd. The CEO reached out to me about a month ago regarding the position and things were fairly slow moving until this week. I'm wondering if someone left recently and they've been getting slammed with support calls. I certainly don't hate where I work now so I'd like to be as courteous as possible when exiting as I am not sure that they see this coming. I think I'll stick to two weeks - what's really the difference between starting on a Thursday and starting on the following Monday?

So I told the CEO that, out of respect for my current employer, I'd like to stick to two weeks notice (I set the expectation that I'd need at least two weeks at least three times during our previous conversations). In the same email where he asked me to give a week notice, he said I'd have an offer yesterday. Radio silence. No offer, no followup email. :iiam:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

So I told the CEO that, out of respect for my current employer, I'd like to stick to two weeks notice (I set the expectation that I'd need at least two weeks at least three times during our previous conversations). In the same email where he asked me to give a week notice, he said I'd have an offer yesterday. Radio silence. No offer, no followup email. :iiam:

If they don't respond because you want to give a 2 week notice, they're really lovely and you dodged a bullet

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

NO offense, but if the CEO is calling you for a support job the company is dogshit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone purchased independent ST/LT disability insurance? If so, who's a good provider? The startup that hired me has a group health insurance plan, but they don't have disability insurance yet.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
FWIW. My predecessor got fired on the spot and they wanted someone ASAP. They still respected my 1 month notice period.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

For those of you stuck managing iSeries devices, does anyone use a hosted provider? We have one in-house that we're looking to either move off-site o just switch to a vendor who will host it for us. It's critical for our day-to-day operations at the moment so it has to be included in our soon-to-be-revamped DR setup,
Take a look at Blue Hill. We are moving our mainframe there and they have been excellent so far. They also do 400 work.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh god yes. I learn more in my lab than I do at work. That's not diminishing my job at all, but the job is about maintaining those five nines and working on whichever project we sold to whoever is throwing money at us this month. At home, it's "you know, I'm hearing the word Jenkins a lot lately, let's grab a copy, install it, and see what trouble we can get into."

My challenge right now is two-fold on working to expand my skills for the future. I could easily grab an unused DL580 G7, take it home, and go hog wild, but:

- with three kids 3 and under, there just isn't any goddamn time to do any lab stuff at home unless I take away from what little leisure activity time I have

- after working on systems all day, the last thing I want to do is come home and deal with more computer poo poo. I used to have a couple of VM hosts for messing around, keeping a separate Sabnzbd VM, etc, but got rid of them because you don't mess with Production, aka keep the wife acceptance factor high.

I'm not terribly concerned right now, if I truly need to learn something I can carve out work time to do a pluralsight course, POC something with old hardware, etc. Down the road I'll definitely need to do more learning on my own, but for now, it's going to have to be learn as things are thrown at me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Do not take a DL580 into your home, please I beg you.

Just slap an extra DIMM of memory into whichever PC you've got kicking around. Lab VMs are very lightweight - even an extra 8gb of memory could get you 6 running VMs at a time since you're just one person doing one task at a time - give the domain controller like 800mb of memory, an app server 1.3gb, etc. Not building it out like production. You can fit so many VMs on a standard desktop PC. Also remember that not every VM needs to be running at a time. If you're practicing your SQL queries, maybe your Chef server doesn't need to be up, for example.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Do not take a DL580 into your home, please I beg you.

Just slap an extra DIMM of memory into whichever PC you've got kicking around. Lab VMs are very lightweight - even an extra 8gb of memory could get you 6 running VMs at a time since you're just one person doing one task at a time - give the domain controller like 800mb of memory, an app server 1.3gb, etc. Not building it out like production. You can fit so many VMs on a standard desktop PC. Also remember that not every VM needs to be running at a time. If you're practicing your SQL queries, maybe your Chef server doesn't need to be up, for example.

Yeah, I've got an i5-6500k (kinda wish I'd gone for the i7 now, but meh, I don't need it) with 16GB of RAM at home and I was just giving them each 2-4GB of RAM, which was definitely overkill, but caused no problems. Once I have the need for more than two VMs running at a time I'll probably drop it down.

Also before I went to bed I successfully promoted my 2016 VM to be a DC, got DNS going, got my W10 client looking at it for DNS and go it to resolve the server via hostname. Had it domain-joined before I had to sleep. Felt pretty good.

I'm technically supposed to be studying for CCNA Security but that's all book and video learning right now, and this is more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you get an AWS account you can have all the VMs and simultaneously teach yourself another valuable skill.