Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Counterpoint: I enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
skyward sword ruled on my homebrew wii where i turned fi off and started with the hylian shield and two clawshots that extended infinitely to the horizon and could grab anything

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I wish I could hack my switch to play awesome BotW mods, but I'm easily intimidated by the sheer wall of poo poo you have to do to accomplish it.

Also don't want Nintendo mad at me because I wanted to play a single player game differently.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Aren't the BotW mods mostly intended to work with the Wii U version via emulator?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Skyward Sword was extremely fun the first time around. Even the stealth bits. But it does not hold up to repeat playthroughs.

However, it was a necessary step to get us Breath of the Wild because they kept all the good stuff while listening to the fans about the bad.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Many fans complained about the art style in Windwaker. Those fans were deeply wrong and should be ignored.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

canyoneer posted:

Many fans complained about the art style in Windwaker. Those fans were deeply wrong and should be ignored.

I was a little bit salty about it when it came out but completely turned around when I got a GC and really saw it in motion, now it's the Best Thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wind Walker will age better than every other Zelda. It will literally always look good.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was a little bit salty about it when it came out but completely turned around when I got a GC and really saw it in motion, now it's the Best Thing.

Cel shading is great. Notable hits include Jet Grind Radio and ofc BotW.

Not included apparently is Borderlands but c'mon

c'mon

e: phone "game" The Wolf Among Us was also good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I want nothing more in life than a remake of Majora's Mask in WW's much-improved engine and art style.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

then you have an unskippable stealth challenge and holy poo poo Jesus Skyward Sword sucks so bad Jesus Christ
If you weren't busy blowing your gasket about lovely unskippable stealth sequences you might have noticed that those sequences are actually really fun and basically made to test your skills in navigating the environment quickly. They're clearly the best version of the content reuse Skyward Sword gets up to because there's actually a point to reusing the environment: you already know how it's laid out and don't have to waste time first learning the map and then clearing it successfully.

Also they last like three minutes for a successful run

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
If they port Twilight Princess to the Switch will it be the left-handed GameCube version or the flipped right-handed Wii version?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They already ported it to the WiiU, if you've forgotten. So they would just port that version again.

And the answer to the question is: Both!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gruckles posted:

Aren't the BotW mods mostly intended to work with the Wii U version via emulator?

That's the easiest way to get them working.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's a rough port. They HD'd the textures but used the same models and seeing HD features on a 6 polygon face is jarring.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

If you weren't busy blowing your gasket about lovely unskippable stealth sequences you might have noticed that those sequences are actually really fun and basically made to test your skills in navigating the environment quickly. They're clearly the best version of the content reuse Skyward Sword gets up to because there's actually a point to reusing the environment: you already know how it's laid out and don't have to waste time first learning the map and then clearing it successfully.

Also they last like three minutes for a successful run

No u waste time waiting for the sentinels to patrol, it’s stupid, it’s nonsensical, and comes out of nowhere. Compared to the stealth in Windwaker, which has a place and contextually makes sense in the game.

But I’m also arguing in bad faith because the game huffs dog rear end.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Real talk though, the way Wind Waker handles its stealth section is cool as hell and blows basically all other stealth sections in non-stealth games out of the water.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It... is? What's so special?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Amppelix posted:

It... is? What's so special?

Because the critical path requires zero stealth because those moblin/ barrel hallways actually suck poo poo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah that's what I thought, the stealth loving sucks rear end like most videogame stealth and if you get caught it wastes a ton of time too

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
About the best praise I can give the stealth sections is Skyward Sword is that I had forgotten about them until people started talking about them.

I definitely did not enjoy them at the time though. Skyward Sword does not value your time or your entertainment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*dies 15 times in difficult platforming challenge* I have to get better through practice, this is a good and fun use of my time and I will feel great when I conquer this difficult section!

*fails stealth mission and has to redo it, but technically doesn't "die"* Oh my God this is bullshit his game doesn't respect my time as a gamer

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm playing BotW again on Master Mode, avoiding the beasts until I beat Ganon but making a point to explore and visit every town before heading to Hyrule Castle. I decided to also not use fast travel this time around and I am really enjoying just exploring rather than constantly teleporting. Shrines do definitely take me out of it but they're a necessary evil because I also decided not to use any consumables. Anyway I got enough hearts for the Master Sword after visiting every town except Goron City, and since the Korok Forest is near there I made it my next destination. I tried a few different routes to try and make it there to buy the Flamebreaker Armor without burning up using just my 13 hearts, like flying from the tower to the lower hot springs area, refilling health there and moving on through the southern mine, but could not quite make it trying to get there on the regular path.

So I circled around the mountains to the west to the highest point that was nearest the city without being a burning area. From there I could just barely land near town and trigger the beast cutscene which reset burning, then finally made a mad dash talking to the chain of gorons leading to the armor shop (talking to someone also resets burning). I just barely made it to the shop with half a heart left and bought the armor.

Yeah, kind of a pointless challenge at the end of the day but it goes to show that you really can play BotW any way that you want. That said the only reason I even decided to do a no consumables run is because I think the current food system is a little too forgiving, and while I don't expect them to make major changes to it in the sequel it would be cool if you couldn't stuff your face with wood and acorns or w/e on Master mode. BotW 2 could really be my dream game with just a few changes.

Definitely don't want to get into the Skyward Sword chat despite loving the game, all I'll say is that I doubt they'll make a final dungeon that interesting any time soon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

mrw people wish for ways to make games harder

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Bloop posted:

*fails stealth mission and has to redo it, but technically doesn't "die"* Oh my God this is bullshit his game doesn't respect my time as a gamer
The thing about this is, most of the time stealth levels in videogames are designed in a way that just makes you wait. A really long time. For things to happen. Having to start one of those over just feels awful.

The SS levels are good because they don't fall into this trap at all. If you get caught you just need to reach the next objective quickly to reset the chase. And the levels are laid out in such a way that you rarely have to stop even if you do want to avoid getting caught.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Fukkin a right. It was goddamned great and people being pissy about it were the worst.

One of the best things that came out of BOTW was having a big tutorial area that didn’t loving feel like a tutorial area. I never want poo poo like “go hit these targets with arrows!” While some goddamned NPC talks to me ever again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

*dies 15 times in difficult platforming challenge* I have to get better through practice, this is a good and fun use of my time and I will feel great when I conquer this difficult section!

modern platformers are designed for rapid iteration, so yes, 15 deaths in a difficult platforming challenge is usually faster than redoing a Zelda stealth segment

lol at calling someone a gamer for not wanting to spend more time playing games though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

It's almost like this isn't any fun.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Bloop posted:

Now imagine a Zelda Souls game where dying means all the enemies respawn and you have to get to the point where you died to get back your stuff.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the stealth segments in skyward sword would have made for great optional side quests. actually lots of the main quest stuff would have made for great optional side quests

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don't remember why I had to collect music notes to unflood a forest, I just remember it sucking.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm playing BotW again on Master Mode, avoiding the beasts until I beat Ganon but making a point to explore and visit every town before heading to Hyrule Castle. I decided to also not use fast travel this time around and I am really enjoying just exploring rather than constantly teleporting. Shrines do definitely take me out of it but they're a necessary evil because I also decided not to use any consumables. Anyway I got enough hearts for the Master Sword after visiting every town except Goron City, and since the Korok Forest is near there I made it my next destination. I tried a few different routes to try and make it there to buy the Flamebreaker Armor without burning up using just my 13 hearts, like flying from the tower to the lower hot springs area, refilling health there and moving on through the southern mine, but could not quite make it trying to get there on the regular path.

So I circled around the mountains to the west to the highest point that was nearest the city without being a burning area. From there I could just barely land near town and trigger the beast cutscene which reset burning, then finally made a mad dash talking to the chain of gorons leading to the armor shop (talking to someone also resets burning). I just barely made it to the shop with half a heart left and bought the armor.

Yeah, kind of a pointless challenge at the end of the day but it goes to show that you really can play BotW any way that you want. That said the only reason I even decided to do a no consumables run is because I think the current food system is a little too forgiving, and while I don't expect them to make major changes to it in the sequel it would be cool if you couldn't stuff your face with wood and acorns or w/e on Master mode. BotW 2 could really be my dream game with just a few changes.

Definitely don't want to get into the Skyward Sword chat despite loving the game, all I'll say is that I doubt they'll make a final dungeon that interesting any time soon.

Um, you do know you can get a piece of flamebreaker armor before the mountain starts burning your lungs out, right? In the mining camp, by catching lizards for a tourist?

But yeah, I'm doing a no-teleport-except-for-medallion run, and it's great.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Amppelix posted:

The thing about this is, most of the time stealth levels in videogames are designed in a way that just makes you wait. A really long time. For things to happen. Having to start one of those over just feels awful.

The SS levels are good because they don't fall into this trap at all. If you get caught you just need to reach the next objective quickly to reset the chase. And the levels are laid out in such a way that you rarely have to stop even if you do want to avoid getting caught.

The best option to deal with a botched stealth area is to let the player run (Assassin's Creed style) or stand against ridiculous/impossible odds (BotW Yiga hideout or getting caught in Hitman and trying to fight off a small private army)

Honorable mention to WW for putting you in an easily escapable jail as many times as it takes but that "aw shucks you got me guess I'll go back to.my cell" is kinda lame but better than instant fail and no way to go out fighting

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

"Link wouldn't be so easily caught/defeated" and they give you a chance to prove it in BotW. That feels fair enough. Badass your way through being caught should be an option.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BotW's one forced stealth section is loving awful too, and is only salvaged by the room full of bananas which went on to fuel my next 15 meals.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

Um, you do know you can get a piece of flamebreaker armor before the mountain starts burning your lungs out, right? In the mining camp, by catching lizards for a tourist?

But yeah, I'm doing a no-teleport-except-for-medallion run, and it's great.

Is that not past the 2nd station? Either way what's done is done lol

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Is that not past the 2nd station? Either way what's done is done lol
Yeah, that sidequest is well inside the "temperature = fire" zone.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

stev posted:

BotW's one forced stealth section is loving awful too, and is only salvaged by the room full of bananas which went on to fuel my next 15 meals.

there were bananas when following the korok around the forest and he'd randomly turn around?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dictator. posted:

there were bananas when following the korok around the forest and he'd randomly turn around?

Oh yeah, that was horrible. Not mandatory though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Huh, guess I'm too dependent on elixirs.

I don't need them! I can quit them any time! (glug glug glug)