Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the psychiatrist nods, hmms, and checks the box marked "JUST AN rear end in a top hat" on his clipboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
There are lazy people out there. We don't need to classify every lazy person as mentally ill. It's probably easy to fall into laziness if you're enabled.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the psychiatrist nods, hmms, and checks the box marked "JUST AN rear end in a top hat" on his clipboard

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

There are lazy people out there. We don't need to classify every lazy person as mentally ill. It's probably easy to fall into laziness if you're enabled.

mental illnesses are not caused by specific strains of insanity bacteria that the headshrinkers test your bloodwork for, they're clinical descriptions of unhealthy mindsets that, human brains tending to work similarly, can often be treated similarly

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 31, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Circles it in red pen aggressively

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Milotic posted:

My [34F] boyfriend [32M] believes that the average woman in a relationship initiates sex several times a week by putting on lingerie and getting things started.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that 32M has only had one other girlfriend/wife and just assumes the things she was into are the things all women are into

mental illnesses are not caused by specific strains of insanity bacteria that the headshrinkers test your bloodwork for, they're clinical descriptions of unhealthy behaviors and mindsets that, human brains tending to work similarly, can often be treated similarly

It generally also describes biological and physiological processes, though. Purely behavioral issues can be mental illnesses but for a layman's purposes they might as well be "chronic laziness" or "terminal rear end in a top hat" if the person is resisting treatment. What do you do about somebody with chronic treatment-resistant dysthymia or somebody with Borderline who doesn't want to be helped? Dick all. Dick all is what you do, because medication does not work and following and responding to treatment is entirely on the person being treated. If he doesn't want to be helped, he can't be helped.

It's certainly reductive to call it chronic laziness but if he's refusing to improve and doesn't respond to medication, treating him as a disabled snowflake is not the appropriate response no matter how severe his behavioral disorder is.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 31, 2017

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

mental illnesses are not caused by specific strains of insanity bacteria, they're clinical descriptions of unhealthy behaviors and mindsets that, human brains tending to work similarly, can often be treated similarly
Yet the people qualified to diagnose mental illness came to the conclusion that he's just lazy. Have you honestly never met anyone that is just plain lazy? Effortophobia is not recognized by the DSM.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

Yet the people qualified to diagnose mental illness came to the conclusion that he's just lazy. Have you honestly never met anyone that is just plain lazy? Effortophobia is not recognized by the DSM.

I'm going to guess it's borderline and all the medical terms completely went over their head, they just drilled down on the "It can't be treated with medication" and "behavioral change is entirely up to him, and he doesn't want to be treated right now" and translated it to "he's just lazy", which isn't really that far from the truth.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

haha, I was thinking of the current Queen. What, do you think I'm some sort of filthy papist or something?

I guarantee that if her current Maj had died you would have heard about it, 'avoiding the news' or not. Same with the pope even if you're not a papist :sun:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
You don't need to pathologize every rear end in a top hat in existence.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

Most lazy people aren't lazy to the point of ignoring their survival instinct, so maybe there's actually something mentally going on with this dude who thinks "live on the street with Cheetos" is a good life plan.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Why can't we discuss the stories as they're told instead of filling in the blanks with whatever we want? Mirthless, you are the worst offender.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

WampaLord posted:

Most lazy people aren't lazy to the point of ignoring their survival instinct, so maybe there's actually something mentally going on with this dude who thinks "live on the street with Cheetos" is a good life plan.

If he still had Cheetos he wasn't left there long enough.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mirthless posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that 32M has only had one other girlfriend/wife and just assumes the things she was into are the things all women are into

It generally also describes biological and physiological processes, though. Purely behavioral issues can be mental illnesses but for a layman's purposes they might as well be "chronic laziness" or "terminal rear end in a top hat" if the person is resisting treatment. What do you do about somebody with chronic treatment-resistant dysthymia or somebody with Borderline who doesn't want to be helped? Dick all. Dick all is what you do, because medication does not work and following and responding to treatment is entirely on the person being treated. If he doesn't want to be helped, he can't be helped.

It's certainly reductive to call it chronic laziness but if he's refusing to improve and doesn't respond to medication, treating him as a disabled snowflake is not the appropriate response no matter how severe his behavioral disorder is.

They can map to biological processes but unless you've got something really exciting the headshrinkers aren't taking an MRI of your brain to see where it's hosed up structurally, they're looking at you sleeping all day and showing no interest in anything and saying "yup this guy is depressed pump 'im full of Xanax and see if that fixes 'im". The go-to mental health treatment for just about everything you're likely to see is cognitive behavioral therapy - they're literally exclusively diagnosing you through behavior, and treating you through coaching you to modify that behavior, and the underlying neurochemical processes driving you in the first place are educated guesswork at best.

dysthymia and borderline might not be curable by CBT or an SSRI or adderall in which case 99% of psych is useless to them, but they're still diagnosable, clinical mental illnesses whereas "lazy" is not; and there's a big difference in implied honest attempt to ever understand or resolve the problem between "I went to the doctor and the doctors can't do anything, guy's just always gonna be a shitbag" and "I went to the doctor and they diagnosed my brother in law with extreme fail AIDS". Dude's condition might be totally treatable or it might not, who can say, the OP doesn't give a poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 31, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

54 40 or gently caress posted:

"Tell me about your mother," says the psychiatrist as he tunes out the patient and begins doodling an exquisitely detailed male sex.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Based on the inflection in story they are actually savagely raping the Cheetos brother.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Some people are pretty strange about gifts. I think it's really nice to receive gifts but I can't imagine being upset for not getting them the right way.

My wife [30F] is upset because the "baby" [5 months] didn't get her a birthday gift. I [30M] don't know whether to play along or call her out on the crazyness.

quote:

My wife and I have been married 4 years, and we just had our first child 5 months ago. On Saturday we were celebrating my wife's birthday (just the three of us). It was a fun day for the most part, and my wife was really happy with everything I did/planned up until I gave her gifts from me. She gets to the last one, and after she realizes that there are no more gifts, her mood seemed to change instantly. She went from really bubbly and happy to very somber.

I asked her if something was wrong and she told me almost verbatim "I'm a little disappointed because the baby didn't get me anything." I ask her what she means, and she says that she thought maybe she would get something from the baby, a special gift, for her birthday. I made some comment about that being silly, but I quickly dropped it because I saw that she was actually serious.

Same story this week. All week she's been very down, and so today I finally asked her what the problem was. She said she was still sad because she didn't get anything from the baby. I asked her why she would ever think the "baby" would get her anything when he has no idea what's going on but she said she was hoping to get a special present since this is the first birthday she's had since our son was born.
I have tried not to argue to much about this or point out that this is crazy, but I find it ridiculous. Even if I played along here and got her something from the baby, it would really be just another gift from me. I know I'm right about this being silly, but I wonder if I should just play along to make her happy even though it's bizarre from my perspective or if I should refuse to go along with this weird idea.

My second question is about whether this is typical, atypical behavior? I'm not sure if it's as weird as I think or if maybe I missed some memo.

tl;dr: Wife is upset because our baby did not get her a b-day present even though he is 5 months! I think this is a very bizarre idea she has, but I'm not sure whether to call her on it or just play along to keep her happy. Is this normal behavior, or am I right to think this is silly at best and maybe a bit concerning at worst?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

Why can't we discuss the stories as they're told instead of filling in the blanks with whatever we want? Mirthless, you are the worst offender.

...We're discussing the story, though, as it's been told? It's a weird point of detail in the story. How could we not discuss it?

I'm "filling in the blanks" (contributing my opinion, framed as an opinion, opened with "I'm guessing...") because I've been through the mental health system a bit, ok? I've also had to deal with plenty of family members who have made some pretty uncharitable assumptions about my illness. What is up with people ITT complaining every time a discussion about a post goes for more than a few one-liner joke comments?

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Mirthless posted:

...We're discussing the story, though, as it's been told? It's a weird point of detail in the story. How could we not discuss it?

I'm "filling in the blanks" (contributing my opinion, framed as an opinion, opened with "I'm guessing...") because I've been through the mental health system a bit, ok? I've also had to deal with plenty of family members who have made some pretty uncharitable assumptions about my illness. What is up with people ITT complaining every time a discussion about a post goes for more than a few one-liner joke comments?

It's because the discussion involves you posting words from your brain

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mirthless posted:

That's what she said!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

They can map to biological processes but unless you've got something really exciting the headshrinkers aren't taking an MRI of your brain to see where it's hosed up structurally, they're looking at you sleeping all day and showing no interest in anything and saying "yup this guy is depressed pump 'im full of Xanax and see if that fixes 'im". The go-to mental health treatment for just about everything you're likely to see is cognitive behavioral therapy - they're literally exclusively diagnosing you through behavior, and treating you through coaching you to modify that behavior, and the underlying neurochemical processes driving you in the first place are educated guesswork at best.

dysthymia and borderline might not be curable by CBT or an SSRI or adderall in which case 99% of psych is useless to them, but they're still diagnosable, clinical mental illnesses whereas "lazy" is not; and there's a big difference in implied honest attempt to ever understand or resolve the problem between "I went to the doctor and the doctors can't do anything, guy's just always gonna be a shitbag" and "I went to the doctor and they diagnosed my brother in law with extreme fail AIDS". Dude's condition might be totally treatable or it might not, who can say, the OP doesn't give a poo poo

Well, yeah, no argument here on any of this, I'm just saying that most of what we consider mental illnesses are broadly treatable with therapy and often treatable with medication, whereas some mental illnesses are either barely treatable with CBT or completely untreatable altogether. If this case is the latter, I can see where the family would have drawn their conclusions. I don't think it's defensible, mind you, just "I can see how they got from point A to point B on this"

I Was The Fury posted:

It's because the discussion involves you posting words from your brain

Cool, I'm not gonna stop posting in this thread so if you guys don't want to see words from my brain go post somewhere else, there's literally dozens of boards and thousands of other threads to post in

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Some people are pretty strange about gifts. I think it's really nice to receive gifts but I can't imagine being upset for not getting them the right way.

My wife [30F] is upset because the "baby" [5 months] didn't get her a birthday gift. I [30M] don't know whether to play along or call her out on the crazyness.

In the spirit of the thread, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that there is some Disney merch in this household

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

uhhhh

what

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

some of these are pretty chilling in that a presumably normally intelligent, perceptive person managed to marry and put a baby in someone this loving crazy without realizing they're this loving crazy before it was too late

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
the psychiatrist nods, hmms, and checks the box marked "MIRTHLESS" on his clipboard

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Tell me about Mirthless," says the psychiatrist as he tunes out the patient and begins doodling an exquisitely detailed male sex.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

some of these are pretty chilling in that a presumably normally intelligent, perceptive person managed to marry and put a baby in someone this loving crazy without realizing they're this loving crazy before it was too late

Most serious mental illnesses present between your mid-20s and early-30s and can be triggered by major life events, so it's possible she was completely sane going into this and pregnancy hormones triggered what was lying just below the surface.

It could happen to anybody. :(

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Mirthless posted:

Cool, I'm not gonna stop posting in this thread so if you guys don't want to see words from my brain go post somewhere else, there's literally dozens of boards and thousands of other threads to post in

I mean I don't mind you posting your discussions because if it's too many words I just scroll past, I was just answering your question about why people always complain about discussions on the posts.

Me [34F] with my Husband [36 M/] 11 years, financial infidelity
This story is not worth reading, basically the husband is a scammer who has taken money from family and friends for his "business" and fake "car repairs" but I thought this part was good:

quote:

Side note: Recently I was ranting about what a liar Trump was during the healthcare debacle and husband offhandedly said to me "oh, he's just a salesman" (husband's career). I know it's crazy but that makes this seem so much worse too.
Also the husband was talking poo poo to his mom about the wife taking the kids to the Womens March

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

On the one hand parents giving each other gifts "from the kids" is incredibly common and lol at how confused the guy is by the concept. On the other actively getting depressed for over a week about it is incredibly weird.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ouhei posted:

On the one hand parents giving each other gifts "from the kids" is incredibly common and lol at how confused the guy is by the concept. On the other actively getting depressed for over a week about it is incredibly weird.
Right it's not that weird to do it, but expecting it wordlessly and being upset about it is weird. Like she would have been okay if one of his presents said it was from the baby?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJvKBO-qBho

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, he had already gotten her gifts, she literally just wanted him to claim that one was from "the baby" because hormones made her nutso.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Splicer posted:

"Tell me about Mirthless," says the psychiatrist as he tunes out the patient and begins doodling an exquisitely detailed male sex.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Like, benefit of the doubt, my take on this is that the husband/a family member/somebody did not get her something and sign it "To Mom From The Baby" with adorable chickenscratch and backwards B etc etc. I really really really hope this woman isn't upset that her not-yet-crawling child was not able to purchase a gift for her with funds acquired through labor or sale of goods.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Buzkashi posted:

Like, benefit of the doubt, my take on this is that the husband/a family member/somebody did not get her something and sign it "To Mom From The Baby" with adorable chickenscratch and backwards B etc etc. I really really really hope this woman isn't upset that her not-yet-crawling child was not able to purchase a gift for her with funds acquired through labor or sale of goods.
Yeah, that's definitely what it is, I just can't fathom actually being upset at what the "from" tag says on a gift. Obviously it's a tradition that's meaningful to her but, like, why not talk about it that way instead of pouting?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nothing says theyre humans. If I was a xenomorph queen and my five month old child forgot my birthday Id be mad enough to bite their head off.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Forget it Jeffrey, it's r/relationships

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

It doesn't seem like that big of an issue. Maybe she came from a family where that was normal or maybe she's just feeling weird about being a mother and getting a year older. Who knows. Just buy her a locket with the a picture of the mom and baby or something. Unless she's crazy in other areas, who cares? She's not the first mother to eventually lose her poo poo over something like this.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 31, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Buzkashi posted:

I really really really hope this woman isn't upset that her not-yet-crawling child was not able to purchase a gift for her with funds acquired through labor or sale of goods.
I really hope this is the case because it is equal parts hilarious and :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Just take a picture of baby, put some paint on baby's hand and put it against the pic to sign it.