Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

she's real good at her job in congress. if you just give ground on everything the republicans irrationally hate then you'd have a bunch of democrats driving diesel trucks and eating nothing but red meat for fear of offending. grow a spine

Speaking as someone who was pretty consistently Republican until recently, she's an anchor in every state where it matters. She's been in the job long enough and has been vilified to the extent where she's the Right's new boogie man now that Hillary is hopefully finally gone.

I get that Democrats don't need to cater to the wishes of Republicans, but Pelosi gets GOP voters out while really doing nothing to help Democratic turn-out. Going with younger leadership without a poo poo ton of baggage isn't giving into Republicans. Keeping her in a position of party power is about as smart as dragging Hillary out for another run (or running her twice in the first place).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Glazier posted:

The Democrats will be allowed to exist in pockets but never enough to challenge ironclad GOP rule. Within a generation we will see the first President for Life and the end of elections.

Like, do you ever take a step back from the keyboard and read this? This is Alex Jones level fear mongering

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

FizFashizzle posted:

they're already doing this with elizabeth warren

they went after her for wanting to deregulate the hearing aid industry

But I thought republicans hated regulations? :confused:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aves Maria! posted:

have you ever tried being a little more realistic

Yeah and the realistic view is that a whole loving lot of people are going to die, sorry if I'm having trouble getting out from under that cloud

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

What's different between what you're saying now and what Karl Rove asserted in 2005?

Karl Rove was right.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

OctaMurk posted:

maybe the dems are no the problem

maybe america is the problem

Por que no los dos

jeremy
Jun 19, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not Pelosi. Pelosi is a tribal totem. If she goes they'd just pick another totem.

I was wondering why so many Ossoff fundraising emails namedropped Paul Ryan. It's as though some consultant took a look at Republican anti-Pelosi attack ads, and said "drat, that's a great way to connect with potential Democratic and liberal voters!."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dirt posted:

Dems have managed to lose to:

A guy who literally beat up a reporter

A woman who says "I do not support a living wage" on camera.

It's impressive.

This isn't a slam against democrats, it's a slam on all the racist fucktwats that live in the south.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The national democratic party is run by incompetent losers. That isn't changing before the midterms.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dems winning just enough of a majority to stop the Republicans shouldn't be the goal. Let's try to imagine aiming higher

I mean I can dream of a hundred seat tsunami, but one step at a time here. Gotta flip the House before you can start securing it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dems winning just enough of a majority to stop the Republicans shouldn't be the goal. Let's try to imagine aiming higher

You got to learn how to walk before you run, and so far they are still crawling.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know much about her career, who did she ratfuck?

Honestly the only thing that comes to mind when I hear the name Nancy Pelosi is the Obamacare 'Gotta pass it to read it', which will forever be sad and hilarious to me.

TGLT posted:

I mean I can dream of a hundred seat tsunami, but one step at a time here. Gotta flip the House before you can start securing it.

We're going to get single payer healthcare before we ever come close to flipping the House.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 21, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glazier posted:

Oh yeah, as a black man I know my days are numbered. If I ever get pulled over I'm dead, we don't survive police encounters in Trump's America.

dude, you seriously need to get help

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cravius posted:

Like, do you ever take a step back from the keyboard and read this? This is Alex Jones level fear mongering

Pretty sure he was being ironic, dude. Still though, it's become pretty clear that we can't win elections, for whatever reason. Somebody had a pretty good post about the rise of narrativism that I personally found convincing.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah and the realistic view is that a whole loving lot of people are going to die, sorry if I'm having trouble getting out from under that cloud

yeah, that's loving sad but that was going to happen and is happening no matter the result of these special elections. sometimes you need to take a step back for your own mental health

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

No one made Ossoff run his general campaign strictly on deficit reduction instead of on the massively unpopular healthcare bill.

Is this a joke?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Bottom Liner posted:

This isn't a slam against democrats, it's a slam on all the racist fucktwats that live in the south.

Muh daddy died of lung cancer in the mines and buh gawd I'll die by lung cancer in the mines and I wouldnt have it any other way

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Dirt posted:

Dems have managed to lose to:

A guy who literally beat up a reporter

A woman who says "I do not support a living wage" on camera.

It's impressive.

Democrats seem to have decided that the key to winning is polling and analytics. At some point they will remember that the candidate also happens to be a key factor.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

maybe the dems are no the problem

maybe america is the problem

Democrats won pretty big in the Obama 2008 election. Then they used the 2 years of complete sovereignty to gently caress over taxpayers and bail out billionaires. It's not America. It's the party and politics that is the problem.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Pretty sure he was being ironic, dude. Still though, it's become pretty clear that we can't win elections, for whatever reason. Somebody had a pretty good post about the rise of narrativism that I personally found convincing.

I think it's because Democrats have a lot of trouble articulating a believable message that they'll make people's lives materially better

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Honestly the only thing that comes to mind when I hear the name Nancy Pelosi is the Obamacare 'Gotta pass it to read it', which will forever be sad and hilarious to me.

yes, republican propaganda is quite often sad and hilarious

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have my regular weekly appointment on Friday, and I've been taking my meds, not that it will help.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Back in freshman year of college I got woken up by one of my roommates blaring Johnny Rebel to the delight of his friends.

He was a real treat of a roommate.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think it's because Democrats have a lot of trouble articulating a believable message that they'll make people's lives materially better

Yes but the other side is literally, actively screwing over all the little guys who vote for them. It's ridiculous.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Phlairdon posted:

I've been seeing this thrown around in this forum since 2004.

wasn't that also the last time a republican won the popular vote?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

Or you might want to give him a little latitude seeing as the dashcam footage of the Castile shooting came out today and it's a bit harrowing to see a cop practically unload a clip because a scary black man with his wife and kid in the car calmly said he had a gun and probably made the fatal mistake of moving his hand afterward.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If the Democrats were run entirely by white men they might win something

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pelosi was more responsible for Obamacare than Obama. So yeah I can't stand her but she pushed that poo poo and made every Democrat step in line to get it through. I don't like her but to say she's a incompetent buffoon is a bit much.

People wanting some young person in the Democratic leadership position is loving retarded. I'll remind you that millenials were the ones that pushed for not canvasing in Wisconsin and there was a 30 year old Brooklynite getting out the urban vote in the campaign. Yeah it's great and we need young people in the party, but you need someone like Nancy Pelosi and the like in the party to be like " Look this is how things actually work". Otherwise you just get idiots like the tea party members etc.. in office who can't find their rear end with both hands.

I'll take a shrewd political operator over a young idealist any day of the week.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gohmak posted:

Don’t worry. When Mary Norwood wins Atlanta mayor and gentrifies the poo poo out of the rest of the city there goes Lewis’s seat.

it's not really possible to increase atlanta's gentrification rate

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Aves Maria! posted:

yes, republican propaganda is quite often sad and hilarious

:lol: Don't try to shift the absurdity of that statement on republican propaganda.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Democrats won pretty big in the Obama 2008 election. Then they used the 2 years of complete sovereignty to gently caress over taxpayers and bail out billionaires. It's not America. It's the party and politics that is the problem.

The only way Democrats can get the dolts in their base off their asses to actually vote is a spectacularly charismatic presidential candidate.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Yes but the other side is literally, actively screwing over all the little guys who vote for them. It's ridiculous.

Explaining to poor people that they are not billionaires is taboo

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Three things killed Ossoff. The run-off system, the fact he didn't live in his district, and Nancy Pelosi. Almost every attack ad focused on where he lived and how he'd take orders from Pelosi. That woman is a loving anchor on any Democrat running in a red or purple district. I can't see how the Democratic Party is benefiting from her in a leadership role. It's not like she has preceded over a never ending string of victories over the last 4 years.

loving Democrats.

Nancy Pelosi doesnt have anything to do with it. The Republican tactic is to demonize whoever the top democrat is. The flavor of the week is democrat obstruction stopping the republicans from getting anything done (I swear these Republican motherfuckers have the memory of a goldfish) and the current femi-nazi America hating secret muslim at the head of all of it is Pelosi.

If Jesus Christ was ressurected and elected into the minority leader position as a democrat all the Republicans would convert to Islam within a week. It doesnt matter who is at the top of the democrats, they will be slandered and demonized 24/7 on Fox and AM radio, and every irrational, incapable-of-critical-thought Republican (all of them) will take the bait and line up around the block to vote against whatever the current enemy stands for.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Krispy Kareem posted:

Speaking as someone who was pretty consistently Republican until recently, she's an anchor in every state where it matters. She's been in the job long enough and has been vilified to the extent where she's the Right's new boogie man now that Hillary is hopefully finally gone.

I get that Democrats don't need to cater to the wishes of Republicans, but Pelosi gets GOP voters out while really doing nothing to help Democratic turn-out. Going with younger leadership without a poo poo ton of baggage isn't giving into Republicans. Keeping her in a position of party power is about as smart as dragging Hillary out for another run (or running her twice in the first place).

Because there's no way they could demonize someone like, say, Barack Obama in the eyes of their base quickly.

Anything you can say about Pelosi motivating Republicans out of pure hate applies to the Democrats as a party.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BardoTheConsumer posted:

OK, but "I'm not them" is not actually a great message that gets people out to vote. That has been proven for the Democrats over and over again, I;m not sure why they refuse to learn it

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or you might want to give him a little latitude seeing as the dashcam footage of the Castile shooting came out today and it's a bit harrowing to see a cop practically unload a clip because a scary black man with his wife and kid in the car calmly said he had a gun and probably made the fatal mistake of moving his hand afterward.

Man, he's been posting like that non-stop since before the inauguration.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Vegetable posted:

If the Democrats were run entirely by white men they might win something

Have unironically seen this argument posted in this thread.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

:lol: Don't try to shift the absurdity of that statement on republican propaganda.

Nancy Pelosi posted:

“We have to pass the bill,” she said, “so that you can find out what is in it — away from the fog of the controversy.”

this is an entirely reasonable statement, and the only way you could find it not to be is if you're an idiot

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hollismason posted:

I don't like her but to say she's a incompetent buffoon is a bit much.

She's not incompetent - she's an extremely intelligent person. She's a great leader, but she's a bad fighter.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Phlairdon posted:

I've been seeing this thrown around in this forum since 2004.

I've been seeing it since 1994.

People don't seem to realize that the left is completely irrelevant in this country, and getting moreso.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Once again the Democrats didn't have 2 years of complete sovereignty, they had like 6 months before Ted Kennedy croaked (plus Lieberman was still in office then).

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/877351572946042880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Glazier posted:

The Democrats will be allowed to exist in pockets but never enough to challenge ironclad GOP rule. Within a generation we will see the first President for Life and the end of elections.

How's life in that prison camp?

• Locked thread