Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MrSargent posted:

I have been wanting to purchase a few effects pedals to use as "outboard" gear from Ableton since I have been reading that this is a really good way to add some character to tracks I produce primarily in the box. The problem is I have no idea where to begin because there are a million pedals out there. Two effects that I have heard are good choices are distortion and reverb (would appreciate other recommendations too) but I have no idea what model/brand I should start with. Would it be worth it to stop by a pawn shop and just pick up a used one?

Can you post some links to youtube videos of songs with time stamps of sounds you like? This will be very helpful in figuring out what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Shugojin posted:

Can you post some links to youtube videos of songs with time stamps of sounds you like? This will be very helpful in figuring out what you want.

There isn't really a certain tone or sound, I just want to distort some 808s or synths through a pedal instead of a plugin on the computer. I am mostly producing various electronic music (mostly house) and hip-hop. I would more be using these to experiment.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MrSargent posted:

There isn't really a certain tone or sound, I just want to distort some 808s or synths through a pedal instead of a plugin on the computer. I am mostly producing various electronic music (mostly house) and hip-hop. I would more be using these to experiment.

Fuzzes and funky delayverbs are what you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo2hDMZnMi0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyFE5sIqfGo

Get a Fuzz Face and an Avalanche Run then thank me later.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you aren't sure what you want then maybe a midrange multifx would be an idea? What sort of budget were you looking at?

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

MrSargent posted:

I have been wanting to purchase a few effects pedals to use as "outboard" gear from Ableton since I have been reading that this is a really good way to add some character to tracks I produce primarily in the box. The problem is I have no idea where to begin because there are a million pedals out there. Two effects that I have heard are good choices are distortion and reverb (would appreciate other recommendations too) but I have no idea what model/brand I should start with. Would it be worth it to stop by a pawn shop and just pick up a used one?

You said you're making electronic music so I don't know how well it will translate but you can search pretty much any pedal on YouTube and find a review of it where someone messes around with the settings while they play a guitar through it. One thing to note is that a more expensive pedal doesn't always mean it's going to sound great to you. My favorite distortion pedal is an OctoFuzz that I picked up for $20. It's a cheap, plastic POS but I love the way it sounds.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
My apologies, I am doing a terrible job describing what I am looking for but I appreciate you guys trying to help. Here is where this "idea" came from. I took the deadmau5 Masterclass and during one of the instructional videos he talks about cheap ways of getting unique sounds. He recommended picking up used guitar pedals at garage sales or pawn shops and experimenting with them in your tracks. Specifically he said he likes collecting distortion pedals because he likes the distortion quality you can get from a pedal vs. a distortion/drive/saturation plugin.

I guess a good place to start would be one of the "tried and true" distortion pedals like the Boss DS-1 (i think that is the one I saw earlier in the thread but I could be mistaken). If there are any other "classic" pedals that might be along this line of thinking, I would definitely like other recommendations that I can put into a list. My budget varies a bit depending on the pedal but I don't think I am looking to spend more than 200 on a single one and would prefer to keep it 100 or less. I do plan on checking out some garage sales and pawn shops for pedals but it would be helpful to know what to look for.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The Pro Co RAT is a staple and should be widely available. I think hardcore guys like to use it for their kick drum? The Tube Screamer is very popular for guitar but would probably suck for synths since the effect is pretty subtle and is mainly used to enhance an amp distortion rather than provide distortion on its own. The Big Muff is probably a bit overbearing but could be cool if you want very unsubtle things to happen.

One of the online retails put out a video specifically about plugging synths into distortion pedals -- IIRC it was Sweetwater. It'd probably be worth checking that out, if you can find it from my vague description.

[edit]Yep, it was Sweetwater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Pzoo06O20

BDA fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 2, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

As someone who has been in electro/techno/hip-hop worlds AND metal/fuzzzzzcore guitar poo poo, trust me: fuzzes and delays. Fuzzes are distortion pedals but more "active" (constantly shifting overtones) and less ice-picky than a straight up hard-clipping distortion like a DS1 or Distortion+. Synthesizers are all about waveform shaping and pattern sequencing. The weird waveform shaping of a Univox Superfuzz (very asymmetrical) and the lumpy oscillation ability of something like a Catalinbread Echorec will have you creating really fun poo poo almost immediately.

Even cheaper and just as fun:

Fuzz Face $70
https://reverb.com/item/2425612-analog-fox-voodoo-fuzz-fuzz-face-clone-free-worldwide-shipping

Joyo AnalogDelay $40
https://reverb.com/p/joyo-analog-delay

The Joyo is the same basic analog-like PT2399-based delay everybody else uses. The whole 808-loving effects package runs you a whopping $110. Not bad.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 2, 2017

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I probably wouldn't use a faithful germanium fuzz face clone like that one in front of a synth. May not sound very good; they were intended to work on passive guitar pickups, and they tend to get harsh with any sort of a buffered signal (though Hendrix put a wah in front of his, and nobody's going to tell him he was wrong).

There are lots of good options though. I like the Black Arts Pharaoh. Earthquaker makes lots of good fuzzes. Big muffs should be cheaply available. Should not be hard to pick something up used.

Don't get me wrong, I bet that fuzz sounds great. Fuzz faces are my favorite fuzz. Just not sure it will work for you intended purpose.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing is, if you're using it for a synth, then the usual things people desire in distortion pedals; buttery mids and amp like feel or whatever nonsense, don't really apply. Just get whatever's cheap and start loving things up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If you wanna do that then just grab like any joyo that looks neat, they're pretty cheap.

You can also find the danelectro plastic ones out there used for real cheap (unless it's the occasional one that took off for some reason)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Sounds like time for a Behringer shopping spree.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Nux pedals are also super cheap and get good reviews. Besides my issue with my mod core which got exchanged for free, I think their delays and distortion are good options to have cheap fun with synths.

I also got a better reverb from TC and it's very good and versatile

Sure strymon are cools but no way I'm paying that much for an effect

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

I probably wouldn't use a faithful germanium fuzz face clone like that one in front of a synth. May not sound very good; they were intended to work on passive guitar pickups, and they tend to get harsh with any sort of a buffered signal (though Hendrix put a wah in front of his, and nobody's going to tell him he was wrong).

There are lots of good options though. I like the Black Arts Pharaoh. Earthquaker makes lots of good fuzzes. Big muffs should be cheaply available. Should not be hard to pick something up used.

Don't get me wrong, I bet that fuzz sounds great. Fuzz faces are my favorite fuzz. Just not sure it will work for you intended purpose.

Oh.. yep! That's true!!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MrSargent posted:

My apologies, I am doing a terrible job describing what I am looking for but I appreciate you guys trying to help. Here is where this "idea" came from. I took the deadmau5 Masterclass and during one of the instructional videos he talks about cheap ways of getting unique sounds. He recommended picking up used guitar pedals at garage sales or pawn shops and experimenting with them in your tracks. Specifically he said he likes collecting distortion pedals because he likes the distortion quality you can get from a pedal vs. a distortion/drive/saturation plugin.

I guess a good place to start would be one of the "tried and true" distortion pedals like the Boss DS-1 (i think that is the one I saw earlier in the thread but I could be mistaken). If there are any other "classic" pedals that might be along this line of thinking, I would definitely like other recommendations that I can put into a list. My budget varies a bit depending on the pedal but I don't think I am looking to spend more than 200 on a single one and would prefer to keep it 100 or less. I do plan on checking out some garage sales and pawn shops for pedals but it would be helpful to know what to look for.

Get a cheap multieffect. It will do all those sounds at 90% efficiency, which if you're not plugging a guitar in with all of the variables in tone will be everything you need. It will cost less money and you will have access to a lot of toys.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Gorgar posted:

i really wish boss made a fuzz pedal that wasn't a loving modeling one for this exact reason since every one of them is buffered (seriously the waza craft people need to get on this)

since all boss pedals are buffered they are perfect for synths and they're are so loving many of them out there you can walk into basically any pawn shop and get something useful for cheep

except for fuzz, those fetch way more than they're worth since there have only been 2 of them

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Gringostar posted:

i really wish boss made a fuzz pedal that wasn't a loving modeling one for this exact reason since every one of them is buffered (seriously the waza craft people need to get on this)

since all boss pedals are buffered they are perfect for synths and they're are so loving many of them out there you can walk into basically any pawn shop and get something useful for cheep

except for fuzz, those fetch way more than they're worth since there have only been 2 of them

The Behringer SF300 is a $25 Boss FZ-2 clone. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you meant though since by the demos it's a lot more Dopethrone than Purple Haze.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Anime Reference posted:

The Behringer SF300 is a $25 Boss FZ-2 clone. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you meant though since by the demos it's a lot more Dopethrone than Purple Haze.

that's one of the few viable alternatives though

i've heard good things about synths through the swollen pickle if you want more of a muff sound

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gringostar posted:

Lol you know they made the Boss Hyperfuzz, right? The sound of Electric Wizard who is a band that rules? The pedal that is the ultimate evolution of the Univox Superfuzz? THAT ONE?!!

*breathes heavy and slowly into a paper bag*

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lol you know they made the Boss Hyperfuzz, right? The sound of Electric Wizard who is a band that rules? The pedal that is the ultimate evolution of the Univox Superfuzz? THAT ONE?!!

*breathes heavy and slowly into a paper bag*

that's what i was talking about yeah and it sucks that they're selling for so much on the used market for what they are

the behringer is a good alternative if you don't mind a plastic enclosure and want that sound though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gringostar posted:

that's what i was talking about yeah and it sucks that they're selling for so much on the used market for what they are

the behringer is a good alternative if you don't mind a plastic enclosure and want that sound though

You're right! I love pretty much all the pedals that derive from the Superfuzz circuit.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Spoiler alert: Tumnus in front of any amount of gain (in my case, the Dracarys or the higher-gain channel on the 65amps Ventura) pretty much sounds awesome. Tried several guitars, several different amounts of gain, lots of different sets of knobs--they pretty much all sound good in their own ways.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tumnus is a klone right? I've been messing with the one in the Helix and I think I get why people fixate on them now.

its got a bit of midrange push, but not the nasaley midrange push of a tubescreamer, rather it just adds a nice meaty "clang" right in the place where distorted electric guitar likes it. It really works whether you want bluesy grind or tight metal.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

massive spider posted:

Tumnus is a klone right? I've been messing with the one in the Helix and I think I get why people fixate on them now.

its got a bit of midrange push, but not the nasaley midrange push of a tubescreamer, rather it just adds a nice meaty "clang" right in the place where distorted electric guitar likes it. It really works whether you want bluesy grind or tight metal.
Yeah, it's a klone, and that's exactly my take. It's a little bit of boost and a little bit of compression and a little bit of EQ, but it's all in just the right places whether you want a little bit of grit or something much heavier.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It sucks how after buying an Ethereal I am intensely drawn to owning every Wampler pedal I see.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

It sucks how after buying an Ethereal I am intensely drawn to owning every Wampler pedal I see.

Which is why the Wampler group on facebook is 20,000+ people. Nothing but people posting their boards of over a dozen Wampler pedals.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Which is why the Wampler group on facebook is 20,000+ people. Nothing but people posting their boards of over a dozen Wampler pedals.

I joined it like a month ago and have been suffering since

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Has anyone had experience with the TC Electronics Ditto pedal crapping out on them? I've had the X2 for about a year (just for messing around at home, not every day use) and lately it has started fluctuating volume, distorting, or just straight up losing the recorded loop. Checked the cables and power supply and I haven't found anything wrong with them. It's doesn't seem to be consistent either. A buddy of mine has a brand new single Ditto and has been having some of the same issues.

Are they crap pedals or are we just unlucky?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Has anyone had experience with the TC Electronics Ditto pedal crapping out on them? I've had the X2 for about a year (just for messing around at home, not every day use) and lately it has started fluctuating volume, distorting, or just straight up losing the recorded loop. Checked the cables and power supply and I haven't found anything wrong with them. It's doesn't seem to be consistent either. A buddy of mine has a brand new single Ditto and has been having some of the same issues.

Mine is still working fine and I've had it for longer.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Same. Never had an issue

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TC has definitely had some quality control/failure issues. I haven't experienced it myself but unfortunately it seems to be a thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

yeah mine broke almost immediately. not a good pedal.

the switches TC uses are extremely flimsy and the dittos are particularly susceptible to breakage since, as a one-button loop pedal, you step on it much more than their other pedals. I'm told some of their other pedals are good but I'm off em after that.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 7, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's ridiculous that you would cheap out on the one part of a pedal most likely to be subjected to physical abuse

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

HNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

https://reverb.com/news/boss-and-jhs-pedals-collaborate-on-new-angry-driver-overdrive

quote:

This overdrive combines the circuits of the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and the JHS Angry Charlie within a single Boss enclosure. Both circuits can be run individually or in tandem with separate concentric controls for Level, Tone, and Drive.

According to a press release from Boss, the JB-2 includes "a six-way mode selector allows the player to choose between the two overdrive types or combine them in various series and parallel configurations. This enables the JB-2 to produce an enormous range of sounds, from subtle boost to ultra-high-gain distortion."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Josh Scott is the biggest douchebag in the industry and Roland is enabling that. Support the guy who actually made the Angry Charlie: MI Audio and their Crunchbox.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pedal maker drama aside, thats really cool

They're doing something similar with their synths now with Studio Engineering (kind of similar for a couple of reasons) and my hope is we get like Chase Bliss or DAM next round.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Didn't everyone come around to JHS after the initial oops moments?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We're not talking about a Tube Screamer that was invented 40 years ago. The MI Crunch Box was invented like a decade ago and the guy still needs the money to live. The weirdest part of it to me is Josh Scott is actually really talented but holy gently caress his ambition is fierce and naked.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Josh Scott is the biggest douchebag in the industry and Roland is enabling that. Support the guy who actually made the Angry Charlie: MI Audio and their Crunchbox.

Not empty quoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm looking for something weird. Recently my clip on Polytune was at a weird angle on my headstock and started rattling/buzzing along with my dry guitar sound. It was awesome. What fuzzes/effects could give me that buzzing, rattling, clangy, mosquito sound?