Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deceptor101 posted:

I don't have renter's insurance (Now I want some) but I was hesitant to demand a claim from him. Do either of you have experience with a personal item claim like this? He's offered $1000 to replace the tv and receiver. It's not enough, but I burn that opportunity when I tell him I want to file the claim with his insurance. Insurance's "Current value" assessment of outdated tech like mine might not be as favorable.

Depends on how much you value a relationship with him I guess. Go to accessories4less.com and find a comparible receiver. That will leave you with money left over to find a TV. I would assume your old receiver is comparible to something for $200 off A4L, which leaves $800 for a TV. $800 gets you a lot of TV these days especially if you're willing to go plasma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Ideally, you would file a claim with your own renters insurance as a property damage claim and they will go after your landlord or the contractor for their liability insurance.

You cannot file a property claim on someone else's insurance, you can only sue the offending party to have their liability insurance kick in (this is usually what your own insurance company does, or at least threatens to do, for you), in which case you must win the lawsuit or receive a favorable settlement.

Basically, since you don't have renters', you're screwed unless you want to lawyer up. I'd just accept $1K and take it as a lesson learned. Not having insurance is stupid.

Check to see if your surge protector has a guarantee.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I am looking for a new receiver and am not sure what I should get. I currently have a Harman-Kardon avr-146. It sounds nice but I want something newer for a couple things. First it feels a little under powered also probably more importantly it doesn't handle HD signals as well as I think it should (I don't think it will pass anything greater than 720p to the TV).

I would like something that can handle multiple HDMI inputs and support all the new tech (I'm also looking to get a new 4k tv possible 3d). I am running a 5.1 system, I don't think I need new speakers at the time, they sound really good. In general I am happy with the sound quality I get with my current set up.

As for budget I am flexIble depending on how much improvement I get for my money. I would like to stay around $300 but if the deal is good enough I could go to $400.

Guide me goons.

Edit: bonus points for ease of setup with Harmony remotes.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
quote != edit

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Thanks for the advice. My relationship with him began with this incident, so we'll see how it goes. The surge protector is a good idea, I'll call Belkin tomorrow. They offer fair-market value, but my protector was up to $300k, so I can probably get something for it. The weird thing is the SP still seems to work fine. It still shows a green light, and distributes power (hooked up to a functioning outlet). If anyone wants to volunteer some help in the tech support/ insurance advice nature, send me a PM. Otherwise I'll stop crapping up the thread.

I didn't know about Accessories4less, but I can get an Onkyo factory re-certified TX-NR626, which is an older model, but still an upgrade for $339 shipped. It seems like a good price/performance for me right now. I do notice there's a trend of DOA's or quick failures on the 1 star Amazon reviews. In looking I've heard a lot of good comments about Denon units, it looks like either the AVR E400 or the X2000 would be in my price range. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Or a well-informed opinion?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think Denon is a superior quality receiver, but lacks features for the money compared to Onkyo. Catch 22. Denon And Pioneer are actually the same chips, boards designs etc, but no relation other than same components and factory.

Ret
Sep 17, 2004

Hello,

Looking to build my first audio system.

I saw some recommendations here for the Pioneer SP-FS52 speakers. Low and behold on craigslist I see someone locally selling. Everything is brand new in the box, the seller took them out and realized they were too big for his tiny condo.

1 SP-FS52 $200 on Amazon.ca
1 SP-FS52 $200 on Amazon.ca
1 SP-BS22-LR $170 on Amazon.ca
1 SP-C22 $149 on Amazon.ca
1 SW-8MK2 $180 on Amazon.ca

For $650 Canadian. On crappy old Amazon.ca I see that would cost me $900 + tax + shipping so I feel like it's a fair price. Is that a fair deal for a nice little setup? What would be a decent amp to throw at this setup? I have a grand total of a Raspberry Pi and a PS3 so HDMI ports is pretty moot.

Ret fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 7, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Other than the subwoofer not being great, that's a good setup and if the price is right if say go for it and sell the sub and buy something better.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I am working on upgrading my system and wanted some speaker advice. I am currently running this set: JBL CS480 (This may be a new version as I have had mine for about 5 years). I am mostly satisfied with the sound though it is a little weak which I partially attribute to my receiver. I am thinking about adding these front channel speakers Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker and pushing the other speakers back to make it a 7.1 setup. Would I get an improvement in sound doing this?

I am currently using this receiver Harman Kardon AVR 247 but plan to upgrade to something newer and a bit more powerful when I find the right deal.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I'm looking to upgrade my terrible creative speakers. I'm a bit concerned/confused about input lag. The speakers are mainly for my computer and I'm not really sure how everything works. From what I understand it's likely to be connected through a HDMI connection and that the receiver will will add lag to any video. Can I just have 2 hdmi connections one for video and one for sound? Basically how do I set up a system for my computer that won't add input lag when playing games.

Edit: Will want a 5.1 system and will also connect my xbone.

FSMC fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 14, 2014

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have an opinion on the Denon AVR-x2100w?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Crossposting:

I'm looking to put together a cheap bang for the buck 5.1 system. Newegg currently has the Yamaha RX-V475 on sale for $225, is that a good deal? Looks like it has some goodies, 4k/3d support, apple airplay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0MJ-0022-00011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the Denon AVR-x2100w?

It's a fine receiver. Whether it's worth it over the cheaper models depends a lot on how highly you value the wireless features of 2100w and how tight your budget is. If I had to get a new receiver I would be heavily weighed towards that particular unit. Or, you know, go whole hog with Marantz which isn't that much more expensive:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7005/marantz-sr7005-3d-ready-7.2-home-theater-networking-receiver/1.html

(Disclaimer: I own a Denon X1000 and like it very much. For less than $70 price difference I'd still upgrade it to a X2100w in a heartbeat.)

The Dave posted:

I'm looking to put together a cheap bang for the buck 5.1 system. Newegg currently has the Yamaha RX-V475 on sale for $225, is that a good deal? Looks like it has some goodies, 4k/3d support, apple airplay.

It's not a bad deal. I've always preferred receivers with Audyssey but that's just me. Check the normal stuff (enough inputs/outputs, all the features you really want) and you're good to go.

If you want to have a look at refurb prices which are usually the cheapest they are, try looking up that Accessories4less site. For example, a similar offering from Denon:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1613/denon-avr-1613-5.1ch-networking-receiver-w/airplay-3d-ready/1.html

Cheapest units start at a little over $100, but they don't have 5-way binding posts or any other conveniences, have generally speaking way too few inputs and don't come with Audyssey. If this doesn't bother you and budget is king, you might consider something like Denon E200.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The only thing I notice in that Denon is nothing about 4k pass-through, is that like a real thing or marketing BS? I'll probably own a 4k tv at some point in this receivers life (especially with the pricing on them already shooting down so fast).

EDIT: I also don't think I need much, only HDMI devices I have are the TV, blu-ray, and 360 which I'm contemplating selling. Being able to do airplay would be cool for parties, though maybe a receiver that has a spotify client would be even better.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

The Dave posted:

The only thing I notice in that Denon is nothing about 4k pass-through, is that like a real thing or marketing BS? I'll probably own a 4k tv at some point in this receivers life (especially with the pricing on them already shooting down so fast).

EDIT: I also don't think I need much, only HDMI devices I have are the TV, blu-ray, and 360 which I'm contemplating selling. Being able to do airplay would be cool for parties, though maybe a receiver that has a spotify client would be even better.

Amazon says it has 4k pass through. One of the main reasons I picked it over the 1100 is because it has HDMI 2 on all the inputs, the 1100 only has it on two of the HDMI inputs. I just got a 4k TV with that Sam's Vizio deal so I want a receiver that will let me take advantage of the new set.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Are there any good discounts on receivers popping up on Black Friday? I was just about to buy one of the refurbished Denon X1000s but stopped myself because it's possible I could get a nicer receiver at the same price in a week.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jolo posted:

Are there any good discounts on receivers popping up on Black Friday? I was just about to buy one of the refurbished Denon X1000s but stopped myself because it's possible I could get a nicer receiver at the same price in a week.

Check best buy open box in your area.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Polk Monitor70s and Polk CS2 center. What would be the best receiver around $500 to go with these?

I'm looking to future proof as I will get bigger speakers eventually so don't worry about a $500 receiver being overkill for these speakers. I just want to know what is current consensus as to what the best receiver is for $500.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brain Issues posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Polk Monitor70s and Polk CS2 center. What would be the best receiver around $500 to go with these?

I'm looking to future proof as I will get bigger speakers eventually so don't worry about a $500 receiver being overkill for these speakers. I just want to know what is current consensus as to what the best receiver is for $500.

Any reason you want bigger speakers ?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

jonathan posted:

Any reason you want bigger speakers ?

Because I have a disease.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NewEgg is selling the Polk PSW505 for 169 with free shipping which is the best price I've seen on this ever. Well I grabbed one last year for 199 with a 50 dollar gift card for 149 net, but this is a great deal. I'd buy a second if my wife wouldn't kill me or if I thought my tract home wouldn't fall down. Free shipping and no tax make it pretty sweet. Best buy should also price match if you want to pick it up local.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm starting to feel like the annoying rear end in a top hat of the thread. Not that I am ignoring previous advice, was just curious on whether this was a good deal or not. Newegg is offering this Onkyo 7.2 receiver for $499:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120209

Now here is the ridiculous part, they have a promo code to get a free 5.1 speaker set from Polk, this set:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066

Now I'm sure they aren't a fantastic set, but originally I was going to get the Monoprice Energy ripoffs, and if they're comparable or better I can get everything in one swoop.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dave posted:

I'm starting to feel like the annoying rear end in a top hat of the thread. Not that I am ignoring previous advice, was just curious on whether this was a good deal or not. Newegg is offering this Onkyo 7.2 receiver for $499:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120209

Now here is the ridiculous part, they have a promo code to get a free 5.1 speaker set from Polk, this set:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066

Now I'm sure they aren't a fantastic set, but originally I was going to get the Monoprice Energy ripoffs, and if they're comparable or better I can get everything in one swoop.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr626/onkyo-tx-nr626-7.2-ch-network-a/v-receiver-wifi/bluetooth/1.html

Same receiver $100 cheaper. Those speakers are junk.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Dave,

What is your budget, and what are your goals. You're all over the place in this thread.

You started off with a Cheap HTIB solution, then moved to a good, but lower budget receiver (Yamaha 475), and now you're posting about a 500 dollar mid range receiver (What I consider midrange anyway).

How much do you want to spend? What are your hard requirements and nice to haves? What kind of speakers are you looking for (5.1, 7.1, small, big, whatever).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Hi thread. This year is the first year I'm buying a TV in about... Ever? poo poo I haven't even owned a tv since 2005 and it was a 5 year old tv and.... yeah. So in researching all this tv shopping, I have had no time and sound has overwhelmed me especially since I don't want to pay a lot, I just want something functional, so any help with the black friday approaching would be appreciated.

I can spend up to 200 dollars on the entire sound set up. I don't want to set up an entire surround sound system because I'm renting, and I have no way to wire the thing. It just needs to be serviceable, and fit my needs of watching hockey, playing video games, and watching the occasional movie and whatever terrible cooking/reality shows my girlfriend has on from hulu and netflix. What do I do :ohdear:. I've read up somewhat and see a lot of things, but I don't know what direction to go toward in dealing with getting a sound system.

If it's not kosher to be this uninformed and vague I understand just point me in a general direction and I'll go that way, otherwise specific setups and products would be much appreciated.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 21, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are you looking for a TV recommendation or a recommendation for a home theater to go with your new TV?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

Are you looking for a TV recommendation or a recommendation for a home theater to go with your new TV?

The ladder. I'm clarifying my post some more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Veskit posted:

The ladder. I'm clarifying my post some more.

Buy one of these receivers:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr313/onkyo-tx-sr313-5.1-channel-3-d-ready-home-theater-receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

Then find a pair of used speakers on craigslist for ~$70 and post the link.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

200 dollars puts you in decent sound bar territory. Get one that matches your TV, as they usually integrate pretty well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

200 dollars puts you in decent sound bar territory. Get one that matches your TV, as they usually integrate pretty well.

You could do this. Just be aware that "decent" for a sound bar is not the same as "decent" for literally anything else. Sound bars are the equivalent of those pack-in earbuds that came with your phone. If you're fine with that, get the sound bar.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

You could do this. Just be aware that "decent" for a sound bar is not the same as "decent" for literally anything else. Sound bars are the equivalent of those pack-in earbuds that came with your phone. If you're fine with that, get the sound bar.

skipdogg posted:

If this is the case then is the reason I want a soundbar to remove the headache of shopping on craigslist? Also with plopping down 130 bucks on the receiver alone, can I find 2 speakers and a sub on craigslist that easily?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Veskit posted:

If this is the case then is the reason I want a soundbar to remove the headache of shopping on craigslist? Also with plopping down 130 bucks on the receiver alone, can I find 2 speakers and a sub on craigslist that easily?

The reason you might want a soundbar is you want something that looks unintrusive, requires exactly 0 thought to buy and set up, and you don't care how it sounds, as long as it's louder than your TV. If this doesn't describe you, you don't want a soundbar. It may sound like I'm being condescending, but that really does describe a decent amount of people and is the market for soundbars.

You're not getting a sub on that budget. The idea is to get a receiver that can be expanded on when you can spend more. The minimum for a proper 3.1 setup is ~$500 (if you wait for sales or buy used).

Edit: Don't be afraid of craigslist. You can find really good deals on audio equipment that was top of the line ~15-20 years ago. Speakers haven't changed much in the last 50 years, so you can get lucky and find a set of speakers that will hold their own against a new 4 figure system for a few hundred bucks.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 21, 2014

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Is there a decent pair of remote satelite speakers I can get for $100

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

The reason you might want a soundbar is you want something that looks unintrusive, requires exactly 0 thought to buy and set up, and you don't care how it sounds, as long as it's louder than your TV. If this doesn't describe you, you don't want a soundbar. It may sound like I'm being condescending, but that really does describe a decent amount of people and is the market for soundbars.

You're not getting a sub on that budget. The idea is to get a receiver that can be expanded on when you can spend more. The minimum for a proper 3.1 setup is ~$500 (if you wait for sales or buy used).

I'm ok with waiting for a decent deal to come by my way that's fine. I don't need the receiver right now this second, so is it a good idea to wait until black friday/cyber monday to get a receiver? Also how do I figure out what's good/not good on craigslist? I don't want to drive out and listen to every speaker that fits my budget so what should I look for or what questions should I ask?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Veskit posted:

I'm ok with waiting for a decent deal to come by my way that's fine. I don't need the receiver right now this second, so is it a good idea to wait until black friday/cyber monday to get a receiver? Also how do I figure out what's good/not good on craigslist? I don't want to drive out and listen to every speaker that fits my budget so what should I look for or what questions should I ask?

Those receivers I posted are probably as cheap as they're going to get (since they're refurbished). You could wait and see if a better one comes up new for around the same price as a door buster, but those receivers are probably going to do everything you need them to (unless you need something more high-end like network streaming, room correction, or 4K passthrough).

Something like this would be your next step up:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1000/denon-avr-x1000-5.1-channel-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

As for craigslist speakers, where(ish) do you live? You definitely want to hear speakers in person before you buy them, but we can narrow it down for you.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 21, 2014

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

All that fancy stuff sounds too fancy for my needs. I can hold out a couple weeks just fine so that'll be good.

I live in Albuquerque.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

skipdogg posted:

The Dave,
What is your budget, and what are your goals. You're all over the place in this thread.

Hah, well that's most likely because I'm just sort of going by whatever deals pop up giving the proximity to black friday. I have $250 to spend on a receiver, it's going to be used with a 5.1 speaker set. I'm mainly going to use it to just watch TV / blu-rays, I have a xbox 360 too but I never use it.

I think having spotify and airplay capabilities would be neat. The latter way more then the former since I can always just airplay spotify.

EDIT: Regarding the conversation above, I'm moving from a sound bar to a 5.1 system. I was unimpressed with a soundbar, it just couldn't create the real surround sound, I want to hear things behind me and have some deeper sound.

EDIT TWOOOOO:

Just tell me to shut up and buy the DENON AVR-X1000, right? I have a fear of Onkyos.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 21, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Veskit posted:

All that fancy stuff sounds too fancy for my needs. I can hold out a couple weeks just fine so that'll be good.

I live in Albuquerque.

Looking closer at the receivers, get the Onkyo. The Denon doesn't have ARC (as far as I can tell - someone might correct me on this), and you're going to want that.

Like I said, $130 is a great price for those receivers. I doubt they're going to get cheaper, but you could check out Black Friday deals to be sure. I'll check Craigslist in a sec.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

These are solid speakers if the cones are still in good condition:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/4749808750.html

You'll eventually want to pick up a sub to go with them, since they only go down to 50hz. Still, Klipsch is and always has been a solid brand.
Listen to them before you buy them - Klipsch speakers have a very distinct sound that some love and some hate.

http://www.klipsch.com/tangent-30/details

I'm sure someone here knows much more about vintage speakers than I do and could give you more info on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thank youf or all the help, it's much appreciated. I'll check it out when I get home.