Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DickEmery posted:

I like the way he keeps saying they handed the Garcia file to the General Attorney, without mentioning he's talking about the Swiss general attorney not the Feds.

As Garcia interviewed people on US soil he's been tapped by the Feds and is giving them the full report anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Someone asked about what can they do to Blatter if he's insulated himself from doing stuff on US soil, but my understanding of the combined power of the RICO Act and the Alien Tort Statute is pretty much that 'if someone they have arrested rolls on him, they own him'. Can an american lawyer confirm/deny?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I'd be wary of what the internet says, this is gonna be like that time every single poster on RAWK had a cousin who was a lawyer.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

it just matters where he is. law school droupout

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dex_sda posted:

Someone asked about what can they do to Blatter if he's insulated himself from doing stuff on US soil, but my understanding of the combined power of the RICO Act and the Alien Tort Statute is pretty much that 'if someone they have arrested rolls on him, they own him'. Can an american lawyer confirm/deny?

I'm pretty sure they can't touch him, but what they can do is make his public life impossible to maintain through releases that he was well aware of all of this.

That and he wont be able to step foot in america too.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

quote:

Away from the press conference, the US department of Justice has released a statement to the media saying 14 defendants have been charged with "racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies" over a 24-year period.

Four individual defendants and two corporate defendants have pleaded guilty.

Acting US attorney Kelly T Currie said: "After decades of what the indictment alleges to be brazen corruption, organised international soccer needs a new start.

"It needs a new chance for its governing institutions to provide honest oversight and support of a sport that is beloved across the world, increasingly so here in the United States.

"Let me be clear: this indictment is not the final chapter in our investigation."

Top stuff

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I get the feeling that Sepp will be crowned lord of football on Friday then get arrested.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

As Garcia interviewed people on US soil he's been tapped by the Feds and is giving them the full report anyway.

I'm assuming they've had a copy since about thirteen seconds after he hit save on the final draft.
Going after FIFA must be like playing in the Super Bowl for the Feds.
Sure they're not terrorists but the levels of brazen corruption and shamelessness from FIFA are probably surprising even for the AG's office.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

All I can think is that America obviously has something to gain from all of this.

Either way I'm loving glad something is actually being done for once and I hope to god Blatter faces some justice and Qatar lose the world cup.

In the eyes of the world this makes up for a couple dozen bombed afghan weddings

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

24 years AND some have already plead guilty? The gently caress happened?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lid posted:

24 years AND some have already plead guilty? The gently caress happened?

Plea bargain for rolling on the real nasty fuckers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Blatter is really old and has the perfect chance to retire by pulling out of the FIFA presidential race you'd think he'd do it instead of risk getting caught up in this

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

yeah that's the only reason to plead guilty so fast

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Obviously the people that were arrested can't vote on Friday, but does that mean that all votes from their country / federation are null and void or can they simply send someone else to vote for them?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

serious gaylord posted:

How is Sepp still avoiding this though? There is no way he can be that immune if people are giving up everyone else.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Jose posted:

Blatter is really old and has the perfect chance to retire by pulling out of the FIFA presidential race you'd think he'd do it instead of risk getting caught up in this

I don't think pulling out is going to make any difference.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jose posted:

Your new 2015 FIFA President: Nobody

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Messyass posted:

I don't think pulling out is going to make any difference.

It lets him move somewhere with no US extradition treaty

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Everyones always had the opinion that as long as Blatter is head of fifa hes untouchable because of all the dirt he has on everyone, the second hes out of that chair people will queue up to stab him in the back.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Dunban posted:

Obviously the people that were arrested can't vote on Friday, but does that mean that all votes from their country / federation are null and void or can they simply send someone else to vote for them?

Their votes default to Blatter. It's what they would have wanted really, poor chaps.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

excuse me lady posted:

Update - Swiss Federal Office of Justice opens criminal proceedings over the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 football world cups

Haha loving hell, now just indict Sepp Blatter and this will be perfect

Jose posted:

I don't think you understand just how arrogant corrupt old people can be.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 27, 2015

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Lid posted:

How is Sepp still avoiding this though? There is no way he can be that immune if people are giving up everyone else.

I suspect they're gonna keep building their case. RICO investigators have experience with destroying entire criminal organizations completely

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It would be cool if we didn't have to go to Qatar

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just woke up to this fabulous news. I'm giggling and watching some FIFA spokesman squirming in front of the press.

The FBI is now my favorite football team.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that if you haven't watched it, the E:60 report is pretty damning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP1mZDdAtdE

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Crazy Ted posted:

Your new 2015 FIFA President: Nobody

It worked for Belgium for ages.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
I'm shocked the photoshopped gifs with blatter's face on them haven't started appearing yet

git to it giffers

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

Also this morning, a search warrant is being executed at CONCACAF headquarters in Miami, Florida.

Same time as the Swiss raid and the arrests, getting to documents before they can be destroyed

Bape Culture posted:

It would be cool if we didn't have to go to Qatar

Not so cool when the Pharoahs demolish all the half built stadiums, the expendable slave workers still trapped inside :(

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 27, 2015

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

serious gaylord posted:

That and he wont be able to step foot in america too.

Or anywhere else that has an extradition treaty with the US. He'll basically be slightly worse off than Polanski. Or better. Depending on your view of Poland.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
So like all of the big FIFA sponsors are gonna pull out which is what everyone said needed to happen to enact change?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Adun posted:

So like all of the big FIFA sponsors are gonna pull out which is what everyone said needed to happen to enact change?

All the big sponsors will be replaced with Russian/Middle east equivalents.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He's ancient but Joao Havelange getting charged with something would be good since he's responsible for Blatter

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

elwood posted:

Germany, England, USA
France could as well without any problem

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

2022 Qatar world cup sponsored by adidos!

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

:911:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

serious gaylord posted:

Mecca Cola

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

St Evan Echoes posted:

France could as well without any problem

Brazil could probably too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Now the alleged bribe amount is up to $150 million.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
O say can you see by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;

O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Now the alleged bribe amount is up to $150 million.

$50m bribes in one morning, Blatter must be really desperate to get out of this