Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

context: mojang made $120m in profit last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

if you know people are stupid enough to believe it, would you honestly not say it?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

minecraft has sold like 40 million copies so I guess if they instantly raised the price to $100 and forced everyone to re-buy it to keep playing they'd have a chance

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

that means they think they overpaid, doesn't it?

spend 2.5 billion of your assets
add one company valued at 2.5 billion - π
make π profits from company in year one

congrats, you've broken even

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

literally offer Chris Roberts like $5 million for an exclusive ship that can instantly destroy all other ships in star citizen for maximum trollage :iamafag:

lol i'd hire a real game company to make everything he's promising for star citizen, release it for free and bathe in the tears that ensue

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

of course an accounting plan instituted by ballmer would include pie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

well it specifically said "what they've spent" but still valuing minecraft at over 2 bil is kind of silly

e: they can probably knock off 33% for not having to repatriate euro cash as well

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol i'd hire a real game company to make everything he's promising for star citizen, release it for free and bathe in the tears that ensue

that would probably cost you a billion though because he has promised the galaxy to these rabid nerds

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microsoft is going to release a halo edition of minecraft. mark my words.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

well it specifically said "what they've spent" but still valuing minecraft at over 2 bil is kind of silly

e: they can probably knock off 33% for not having to repatriate euro cash as well

are they spending 2.5 billion dollars, like in a big sack with a $ on the side, or are they giving away 2.5 billion buckaroos worth of microsoft stock?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

Microsoft says "break-even in FY 2015".

"what they spent" is the james journalist's interpretation.

you can decide how much you trust a games journo's interpretation of business/accounting rules.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

univbee posted:

of course an accounting plan instituted by ballmer would include pie

he always seemed like more of a cake persson

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

prefect posted:

are they spending 2.5 billion dollars, like in a big sack with a $ on the side, or are they giving away 2.5 billion buckaroos worth of microsoft stock?

Microsoft specifically calls out "on a GAAP basis", so it doesn't matter, they'd both be accounted for the same way

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
MS could hire a bunch of youtube minecraft people to completely remake Halo 1(the first Halo) in Minecraft and then sell that. making games out of games. good thing they dont have a property that they promised would do that already

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

MS could hire a bunch of youtube minecraft people to completely remake Halo 1(the first Halo) in Minecraft and then sell that. making games out of games. good thing they dont have a property that they promised would do that already

what, you mean that one linkin park game

thaty was a linkin park game, right

because that was literally the only time i have seen marketing for that game, when linkin park did something

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I bet it was worth 2.5bil to MS to fix the stupid JRE dependency of that poo poo game that is letting peoples computers get hacked

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

good thing they dont have a property that they promised would do that already

project spark is so hilarious because the pitch is so simple: "littlebigplanet but in 3D"

unfortunately it turned out "littlebigplanet but in 3D and with the business model of a zynga title"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fabricated posted:

maybe its the lf in me but i'd feel kinad gross if i had 2.5 billion dollars

im really boring; i don't think i could spend that much money if i tried and i don't have any vices taht i could spend that much money on

buy 1.5 billion of weed, build weed chamber that pumps vaporized weed into the room 24/7, use the remainder of the money to hire an attendant to bathe/feed you for the rest of eternity

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Condiv posted:

buy 1.5 billion of weed, build weed chamber that pumps vaporized weed into the room 24/7, use the remainder of the money to hire an attendant to bathe/feed you for the rest of eternity

so like a mellified man

but with weed

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

project spark is so hilarious because the pitch is so simple: "littlebigplanet but in 3D"

unfortunately it turned out "littlebigplanet but in 3D and with the business model of a zynga title"

Customers ask devs for microtransactions. they want potions and cheat coins.

really.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

they are a small percentage but they make up a good chunk of revenue

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

im a whale

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
apple fucks up and releases a phablet

microsoft fucks up and spends 2.5 billion on a blocks game

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duTrieux. posted:

ringworld minecraft could be kinda fun

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
microsoft might possibly make their money back if they somehow successfully port minecraft to a real language so it doesn't run like poo poo and start selling azure hosted minecraft servers or something

but not in a year, lmao

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fabricated posted:

microsoft might possibly make their money back if they somehow successfully port minecraft to a real language so it doesn't run like poo poo and start selling azure hosted minecraft servers or something

but not in a year, lmao

yeah minecraft seems like the type of game you dont even need an installer for. the entire thing could be handled in a web browser, so maybe thats where they see minecraft going, some sort of office 365 subscription model.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

duTrieux. posted:

they probably already have a texture pack

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

minecraft is playable in a browser, or at least it was three years ago

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Microsoft should move port minecraft to activex, imo

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Fabricated posted:

but not in a year, lmao

if the protocol isn't poo poo they might be able to port the back end

but what am i talking about. i haven't looked at it but i'd be really loving surprised if its something other than java.io.Serializable objects being thrown across the wire

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

axolotl farmer posted:

minecraft is playable in a browser, or at least it was three years ago

oh welp looks like they removed that functionality

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

"what they spent" ... business/accounting rules.

[img-stick-figure-in-party-hat-drawing-squiggly-lines]

wish i could find that drat image

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Google search for ps3 Xbox projection cartoon

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

thaaats the one

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pinterest Mom posted:

does red mean xbox?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Fabricated posted:

but not in a year, lmao
the consoles versions were done by 4j studios in c++

lol at the people talking about firing 4j, where do you think the optimisations for the java version came from

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
perhaps ms should have bought the newly independent scotland this friday instead

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Metrication posted:

perhaps ms should have bought the newly independent scotland this friday instead

with minecraft they can build their own independent scotland

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

yeah minecraft seems like the type of game you dont even need an installer for. the entire thing could be handled in a web browser, so maybe thats where they see minecraft going, some sort of office 365 subscription model.

microsoft minecraft online enterprise plan 3 with lync

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the consoles versions were done by 4j studios in c++

which is pretty funny because java was supposed to be write once run anywhere lol

• Locked thread