Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mylan posted:

gently caress dunes. Just spent a full bar of 93 NRG and the best run I got was 1 jumbo and 1 regular cactuar. Don't have anyone that I absolutely need to level anyways I guess.

My RNG was so bad with the cactuar dunes this evening that I realized I would have been just as well served running my Mercedes through the EXP vortex since I have an exp egg.

Never seen so many green cactuars in adv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I'm, uh, going to assume Cup Noodles in the google doc list is referring to Noctis?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

AegisP posted:

I'm, uh, going to assume Cup Noodles in the google doc list is referring to Noctis?

Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9PN8pzSn2Q&t=7s

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Oh god.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
See even before the game came out I kinda figured Gladiolus was going to be my favorite for some stupid reason or another.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

AegisP posted:

There are few nicknames/references that aren't dumb as hell, this is one of them.

:japan:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Cup Noodles, and other types of ramen and such are as big in Asia as you might imagine.

Recently here in Taiwan, the conservative, pro-China, newspaper (that regularly spews anti-foreigner fluff stories like Fox News does about...well anything that's not supporting a White, Christian, Republican viewpoint) decided to publish a piece about a white guy who just happened to be eating some instant noodles...the wrong way! See these noodles are meant to be enjoyed with the noodles separate from the soup rather than together in the same bowl. This of course drew harsh criticism from the paper for him being ignorant of local customs, while they found one person who applauded the foreigner for his unique method of enjoying the noodles.

Cup Noodles: serious business.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

To be fair, I would hold a similar amount of disdain for anyone who makes a steak well done.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cartoon Man posted:

Hopefully the next event isn't a mass of bullshit.

Frosty is the best event we've had in months, sadly. I don't expect the trend to continue.

Go RV! posted:

To be fair, I would hold a similar amount of disdain for anyone who makes a steak well done.

At that point, you might as well be eating warm beef jerky, drinking water with no ice, and jumping into light fierce.

goons posted:

cactuars

Ah, this is a game we haven't played in a while: Has Gumi nerfed rates, or are we just having shared lovely RNG?

Maybe I should bring along my Locke.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Go RV! posted:

I'm with you on that one, but try to imagine if Bill O'Reilly went on a rant about a middle eastern guy who decided to eat crackers and soup and put the crackers right into the soup and not only suggested that this is the wrong way to eat crackers and soup but it was in fact downright unAmerican.

Now that I type it I could actually see something like that happening...

KataraniSword posted:

Frosty is the best event we've had in months, sadly. I don't expect the trend to continue.

Unique gear isn't that great, I mean better than the last event for sure, but overall meh. I like that the rewards are just right there though, I don't need to go buy them, but most of all I don't need to run the event 50 loving times a day to get them. Practically the minimum level of effort gets you all the tickets. Of course that's a poor strategy for getting casuals to whale a bit but it's been nice being able to mostly ignore the event beyond the daily missions.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 30, 2016

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

Ah, this is a game we haven't played in a while: Has Gumi nerfed rates, or are we just having shared lovely RNG?

The latter. My first 5 dunes runs were all 2 gigantaurs, with one of them being 3 gigantaurs.

That luck did not continue and I've been back to averaging a gigantaur and cactaur each run.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PaybackJack posted:

I don't need to run the event 50 loving times a day to get them

This is exactly why this event is good and I expect the next event to be bad. The unique gear could literally be a poop emoji and it'd be worth it if you could casually grind tickets/gigantuars and could feasibly get a trust moogle without having to rely on rare summon luck for garbage "bonus drops" units or going without sleep.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 30, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Vax posted:

All of you loving liars spend thousands on this game to get your 4th or 5th 5* base. I must be the only one in here with sub 100 spent. You cant fool me goons! :argh:

Goons all have computer janitor jobs and no girlfriends, of course they have the money to spend on stupid games like this.

I'm jelly of you Nocti-havers.

Shoenin posted:

See even before the game came out I kinda figured Gladiolus was going to be my favorite for some stupid reason or another.

He speaks what we all feel deep in our heart, about Cup Noodle's versatility. It's available at fine stores worldwide!

PaybackJack posted:

Cup Noodles, and other types of ramen and such are as big in Asia as you might imagine.

Recently here in Taiwan, the conservative, pro-China, newspaper (that regularly spews anti-foreigner fluff stories like Fox News does about...well anything that's not supporting a White, Christian, Republican viewpoint) decided to publish a piece about a white guy who just happened to be eating some instant noodles...the wrong way! See these noodles are meant to be enjoyed with the noodles separate from the soup rather than together in the same bowl. This of course drew harsh criticism from the paper for him being ignorant of local customs, while they found one person who applauded the foreigner for his unique method of enjoying the noodles.

Cup Noodles: serious business.

Was it the dipping kind of ramen? There's a Portlandia about that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Was it the dipping kind of ramen? There's a Portlandia about that.

Here is the specific brand if you're really curious.

Basically you are supposed to cook the noodles, drain them, then mix them with a paste and add a power packet to the water to create the soup. The package even comes with two bowls and pictures to follow if you're so inclined to actually look at the directions on a package of instant noodles.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
If I have a pile of Bartz laying around its safe to smoosh them together yeah? Doublehand seems decent but badly outclassed by dual wield.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Servaetes posted:

If I have a pile of Bartz laying around its safe to smoosh them together yeah? Doublehand seems decent but badly outclassed by dual wield.

Depends, there are uses for it.

DKC likes it, as it's a good buff, and DW will make him kill himself constantly.

Garland LOVES it because he has it innately and it stacks with itself if it's from different sources. (Like two materia would be useless, but innate/materia is great)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Doublehand only stacks once if the character has it as an innate passive (IE: Garland), and that's the only place where it's worth it, so you won't need a lot of them

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Servaetes posted:

If you play the Japanese version you can stack them still IIRC. Global doesn't get to have that fun. Having 1, maybe 2, would be fine unless you run a squad of 5 Garlands or something.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Go RV! posted:

Ugh. triggered. Well done steak is just a euphemism for "throwing away perfectly good meat"

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
2016 needs to end already so my Noctis can wield Excalibur & Demon Scythe rather than Excalibur x2.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

AegisP posted:

2016 needs to end already so my Noctis can wield Excalibur & Demon Scythe rather than Excalibur x2.

whaleproblems.txt

On a serious note, I have a question about item bonus mechanics and stat pots. Do items like Hero's Ring apply the +10% bonus to the base stat with stat pot increases included? Or the just character's innate stat for their current level?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Benthalus posted:

whaleproblems.txt

On a serious note, I have a question about item bonus mechanics and stat pots. Do items like Hero's Ring apply the +10% bonus to the base stat with stat pot increases included? Or the just character's innate stat for their current level?

Stat pots directly increase base stats, so any +% materia or ability also gain in potency since the base stats they modify are increased.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Stat pots add to your base stats, therefor making any percentage increase (Hero Ring, Blade Mastery, Axe Mastery...) even more potent.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dread Frost was surprisingly easy, especially after you get his spell. I'll take the free barblizzaraeroga that counts as an ability, thank you.

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009

Noctis OP (note that's 30k not 300k damage)
Drainer from blood sword heals for like 8k x2.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
So I did back of the envelope math to get a ballpark of how much Dyer, the whale in the lead of the raid, has spent. I know of no better way to check my math than post it publicly to be torn apart by goons.

Assumptions:
290 energy a day, all spent on Snowy.
Dyer is max rank and thus has 110 energy per refill
Did frosty offensive elite right from the get go

With these assumptions it looks like he spent a smidge over 10k lapis. I'm shocked by the risk/reward being shown there.

Edit: Wrong max rank and energy per refill. Oops. So UNDER 10k lapis. I feel people have this idea that he's spent way more and it's not worth chasing or they are using it on grinding TMs.

Vexrm fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 31, 2016

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The max rank is 150 now for 135 max energy.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Thanks, edited my post.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

On the other hand, that's a little less than 10K Lapis - the premium currency equivalent of about $90 (or $48 during the current sale) - being spent for absolutely no benefit to the player. People who spend that much TMR grinding at least get awesome gear and abilities to show for it, and if it was spent during one of the Mog events you could argue he could just overload on 6* Awakening materials or is gunning for buying out the one-off items.

No, this is someone who's dropped respectable amounts of money just to be on top of a leaderboard for a week, and then to get three trust moogles. :confuoot:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vexrm posted:

So I did back of the envelope math to get a ballpark of how much Dyer, the whale in the lead of the raid, has spent. I know of no better way to check my math than post it publicly to be torn apart by goons.

Assumptions:
290 energy a day, all spent on Snowy.
Dyer is max rank and thus has 110 energy per refill
Did frosty offensive elite right from the get go

With these assumptions it looks like he spent a smidge over 10k lapis. I'm shocked by the risk/reward being shown there.

Edit: Wrong max rank and energy per refill. Oops. So UNDER 10k lapis. I feel people have this idea that he's spent way more and it's not worth chasing or they are using it on grinding TMs.

I think something is wrong with your math.

Assume that the dude had 900k point before lord frost the ultimate arrived. Total Points/points per run = total runs so 900k/160 = 5625 runs. Total Runs x Energy per run = total energy spent so 5625 * 20 = 112,500 energy spent total. Energy gained by time is negligible so Total Energy/ Energy per refresh = Amount of times refreshed so 112,500/135 = 833.33. And finally that * 100 = total lapiz spent, so Its over 83k lapis spent.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fenrir posted:

Ugh. triggered. Well done steak is just a euphemism for "throwing away perfectly good meat"

Jokes on you, I like the lovely meat and I like it cooked until it resembles a shoe.

Or maybe they're just serving me shoes, I don't know and it's delicious. Dry turkey is the best turkey too.

Anyway, dread frosty is a complete chump and I'll have this event done with before it's over for certain now. I'm only farming pro because it's a complete snooze of a fight, but it's still pumping out 125 points a fight.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Is there any point to getting more event points once I get the 12000 point Trust Moogle? I'd much rather spend my time farming cactaurs but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captain Vittles posted:

Is there any point to getting more event points once I get the 12000 point Trust Moogle? I'd much rather spend my time farming cactaurs but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

You aren't missing anything. Once you get to 12k just do whatever it is you want to do.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Do the extra stats from stat pots carry over when a unit awakens? Or they wasted on non-max tier units?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Gains from pots do carry over, the caps do increase as a unit awakens though. Use 'em as needed, just be mindful so you don't waste pots because you hit the cap before hitting a character's max rank.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

KataraniSword posted:

On the other hand, that's a little less than 10K Lapis - the premium currency equivalent of about $90 (or $48 during the current sale) - being spent for absolutely no benefit to the player.

Bragging rights are priceless and Dyer is likely someone who spends $5000+ a year on the game, so what's an extra $50+ to boost their own ego? People spend hundreds/thousands in games like Clash or Clans or Game of War on a whim (and lose it when people dog-pile them).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Scrublord Prime posted:

Gains from pots do carry over, the caps do increase as a unit awakens though. Use 'em as needed, just be mindful so you don't waste pots because you hit the cap before hitting a character's max rank.

How can you tell when you've hit a character's cap with pots?

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

Nuebot posted:

How can you tell when you've hit a character's cap with pots?

The pot type you are maxed out on will be blacked out when you go to enhance the unit and you won't be able to select it as an option anymore. You'll still be able to use other pot types just not the ones you're maxed on. Not sure if it's a total number of pots that maxes it or the number you increase the stat by though, I'm assuming it's the latter

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Vittles posted:

There won't be any secret additional awards? I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Captain Vittles posted:

you get rewards based on ranking

it's in one of the news items

• Locked thread