Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Talas posted:

I submit the You're Gonna Need a Bigger Fleet Act.

Step 1: Get money.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Build a fleet comparable to Morocco.

I'll support this if it includes this provision:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

For step 2, I'd recommend 'colonize unclaimed Pacific islands'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Going to propose the Religious Revival Act.

1: Build/Upgrade to Great Mosques wherever and whenever possible
2: Take Innovative Ideas
3: Advance Humanist Ideas as fast as possible, to reduce revolts

Edit: Would Innovative Ideas be better than Administrative?

Edit 2: Taking Innovative Ideas.

devildragon777 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 10, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'd personally go Innovative because I'm a massive whore for tech discounts and iirc it also has more tolerance

E: It doesn't have tolerance anymore (if it ever did), but it does have cheaper mercs, cheaper inflation reduction, and more upkeep-free military leaders so it's still super worth it with how often we use all those things.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 9, 2017

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I submit the Andalusi Restoration Act:

1. Continue the war with France until we are in a position to re-annex the territories they occupied in the Fitna, unless the other powers at war with France make peace early.

2. When the war with France is concluded, annex Portugal.

3. If both of these goals are accomplished reasonably quickly, invade the Tlapanec Empire and seize as much as possible, to begin extracting resources for the reconstruction of Al-Andalus.

Supporting this

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
The Manchu are liberating their Ainu brothers from Japanese occupation! All is right in the world.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
To make things as clear as possible for people, Innovative versus Economic is this:

Innovative:
-1% Prestige Decay
-25% Mercenary Maintenance
-10% Technology Cost/Institution Embrace Cost
+1 possible advisors
-10% reduce inflation cost
-0.05 monthly war exhaustion
+1 leaders without upkeep
-25% advisors cost

vs.

Economic:
+10% national tax modifier
-10% build cost
+0.10 yearly inflation reduction
-1 interest per annum
-0.05 monthly autonomy change
-10% land maintenance modifier
+10% production efficiency
-20% development cost

It's a tough decision, but I'm leaning Innovative because of the policies Innovative brings to the table. Innovative+Offensive (+10% siege leader ability and +1 leader siege) and Innovative+Quality (+20% infantry combat ability) are both rad as hell!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I don't think they've ever been the focus of a state of the world update or even mentioned before, but what exactly is Cherson? They seem to get bigger everytime we see the world map. Given their name I'd assume that they were a breakaway duchy from the Byzantines that got big after the Mongols came through the area.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

1. Continue the war with France until we are in a position to re-annex the territories they occupied in the Fitna, unless the other powers at war with France make peace early.

3. If both of these goals are accomplished reasonably quickly, invade the Tlapanec Empire and seize as much as possible, to begin extracting resources for the reconstruction of Al-Andalus.

An insufficient half-measure that will enable our enemies.

Not Such A Sick Man Anymore Act

1. France is an eternal enemy of al-Andalus. We should reunite with our lost territories and reduce France to the smallest territorial size possible, preferably by eliminating its Mediterranean coast;

2. Iberia should be united and indivisible. As soon as possible, we must conquer all territory in the Iberia region;

3. We are surrounded by enemies on all sides. We must grow the al-Andalusi Army so that it can rival any of its rivals in Europe.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah Economic might dig us out of this hole we're in right now a few years faster than we'd otherwise get out of it, but Innovative is the long-term choice that's still paying off in a century. We can get more gold by beating up the Mexicans. We can't get cheaper tech or the synergy policies anywhere else, though. To say nothing of what being the hearth of both the Industrial and Scientific Revolutions could do for us farther down the line.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

RZApublican posted:

I don't think they've ever been the focus of a state of the world update or even mentioned before, but what exactly is Cherson? They seem to get bigger everytime we see the world map. Given their name I'd assume that they were a breakaway duchy from the Byzantines that got big after the Mongols came through the area.

From what I can remember, I think they were the last Orthodox holdout of the Byzantine Empire after the whole Catholic Basileus to Latin Empire thing happened in CK2, and ended up with one or two provinces towards the end of the game. They start off with the Crimean peninsula in EU4 though.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

And when did Crusader Egypt become Arabic?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hashim posted:

From what I can remember, I think they were the last Orthodox holdout of the Byzantine Empire after the whole Catholic Basileus to Latin Empire thing happened in CK2, and ended up with one or two provinces towards the end of the game. They start off with the Crimean peninsula in EU4 though.

Wow, they've got to be the luckiest thing to come out of the Byzantine collapse then and probably the most powerful of the Greek successor states (Greek in core culture, at least).

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Talas posted:

Step 2: Colonize unclaimed Pacific islands.

EDIT: Added suggestion.

I only care about three here, but I care about it a lot. Support

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

And when did Crusader Egypt become Arabic?

They're not (they're Sahidic), they changed dynasties alot in CK2 and ended up with the 'Ashrafi'.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Talas posted:

Supporting.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Updated policies:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Lord Cyrahzax, Frionnel, unwantedplatypus, RZApublican, Snipee, the JJ.

QuoProQuid posted:

1. France is an eternal enemy of al-Andalus. We should reunite with our lost territories and reduce France to the smallest territorial size possible, preferably by eliminating its Mediterranean coast;
2. Iberia should be united and indivisible. As soon as possible, we must conquer all territory in the Iberia region;
3. We are surrounded by enemies on all sides. We must grow the al-Andalusi Army so that it can rival any of its rivals in Europe.

QuoProQuid.

Archaeology Hat posted:

I propose the Better Guns, Better Boats, Better Life Act, mandating that Innovation be supported at every turn so that our military be supplied with the most up to date weapons.

Archaeology Hat.

Rodyle posted:

Building Bridges
1. Restore our alliances with Bavaria, Provence, and Tunis
2. Select Innovation for our next idea group
3. Add more accepted cultures, starting with the largest.

Rodyle, Grizzwold.

sheep-dodger posted:

I will propose the Homeland Security Act
- develop level 24 mil tech asap
- Build max level Fortresses in Navarra, Wasqah and Jabal Tariq
- build level 2 fortresses in Evora, Qunka and Liyun and scrap the other smaller fortresses on the peninsula

sheep-dodger.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I propose The Devilishly good deal contract
1. Trade ideas. It's half our income, so lets make more. Plus, dip points aren't as important to us right now as the other.
2. Build some barracks. More dudes is more cool.
3. Protect the minor muslims from any sort of bad doings, which ever provinces they are in. I have a vested interests in these groups.

Ralepozozaxe.

Talas posted:

Talas, paragon1, GunnerJ, Yvonmukluk, Captain Oblivious.

Technowolf posted:

I propose the It's the economy, stupid! act.
The sultan is to chose Economic as our next idea group and try to get to the idea that gives a permanent -.10 inflation reduction.

Technowolf.

devildragon777 posted:

2: Take Administrative Ideas

devildragon777, Slaan, Vinny Possum.

AJ_Impy posted:

I propose the There is No God but Allah, No Prophet but Muhammad, No Faith but Islam Act.
1: Build/Upgrade to Great Mosques wherever and whenever possible.
2: Take Administrative ideas.
3: Declare the one true faith to be unified in Al-Andalus, and end the religious division once and for all. Have our scholars unite and definitively determine the doctrinal issues which threaten to tear our nation apart. Let the Sultan and the People be of one faith, one unity, one nation, together united, thus preventing even the possibility of Sunni revolts. Immediately convert back to Sunni.

AJ_Impy.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 10, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Seriously though either the Taifas or the Merchants need to advocate for (preferably) Innovative ideas.

I'll take Economics in a pinch but Innovative would be great. Merchants only have one policy ssoooooo....

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

"Get money" could be replaced pretty easily, right now it doesn't mean much.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Could bring the Ulama on board and get them to switch their proposal to Innovative

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

"Get money" could be replaced pretty easily, right now it doesn't mean much.
It's the Sultan's choice.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

devildragon777 posted:

Seconding this bill

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

I propose the Better Guns, Better Boats, Better Life Act, mandating that Innovation be supported at every turn so that our military be supplied with the most up to date weapons.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Talas posted:

Supporting.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Archaeology Hat posted:

Idea:

Building Bridges

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 9, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Make #3 adding accepted cultures and you've got my vote. But we should see if devildragon changes his idea pick to Innovative, first.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

So my first impressions are that 3 directives per policy is a bit too much, and results in wildly different things making it into a single bill (like soothing colonial nations and forming alliances and accepting cultures), so I reckon I'll knock it down to two directives per policy for the next session. I'll leave it as is for now though.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

devildragon777 posted:

This has my support

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Talas posted:

Supporting this measure.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

- build level 2 fortresses in Evora, Qunka and Liyun and scrap the other smaller fortresses on the peninsula

The large fortresses will make sure we have strong fortifications at every entrance to the Iberian peninsula and in the best possible defensive terrain, securing the peninsula for ourselves as long as the navy holds our coasts. (Forts in mountain provinces are an amazing defence)
The smaller fortresses will control the countryside and make sure that in the case of rebellion, order is quickly restored. (the Zone of Control exerted by forts massively increases the speed at which devastation is reduced, thus helping to keep our provinces productive)

I will also suggest to my colleagues among the traders and in the ulema that taking an administrative idea group while we are not even halfway through filling out Humanism and also need at least another 450 admin points to reduce our inflation might not be the best option, as progress would be incredibly slow, Maritime might be more useful, as it allows us to grow our navy further to directly compete with both Morocco and the Gaelic Empire.
In case any of my colleagues are considering what to propose in their legislation, it might also be prudent to dishinherit our current heir, as he is not up to the task of leading a modern state.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 10, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

My fellow Imams, esteemed Muftis, we stand at a crossroads. We do not have the wherewithal to teach the vast majority of the Faithful the intricacies of the inheritance of the Prophet, but we do know that they are committed to Allah. Our position is not good:

Hashim posted:

The Reformed Ulema are the smallest faction, so there will be no province conversion, through policies or otherwise. There may be an increase in Sunni rebellion as well, since they’ll see the clergy as weak enough to revolt.

We cannot afford revolts right now, no matter the cost. We cannot afford infighting with our brothers of the faith. Our armies are beleaguered, our options limited. Conversion is barred to us: We cannot try and enforce Shia doctrine. But there is one option that lies open to us, which will utterly shut down the possibility of Sunni revolt. There is one chance, one hope, of ensuring we can face down external threats rather than internal ones. My brothers, hear me out: We can save Al-Andalus from ruin through some truly masterful manoeuvring.

I propose the There is No God but Allah, No Prophet but Muhammad, No Faith but Islam Act.

3: Declare the one true faith to be unified in Al-Andalus, and end the religious division once and for all. Have our scholars unite and definitively determine the doctrinal issues which threaten to tear our nation apart. Let the Sultan and the People be of one faith, one unity, one nation, together united, thus preventing even the possibility of Sunni revolts. Immediately convert back to Sunni.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Perfection. I am supporting this.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Now this i can support.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

1. Trade ideas. It's half our income, so lets make more. Plus, dip points aren't as important to us right now as the other.
3. Protect the minor muslims from any sort of bad doings, which ever provinces they are in. I have a vested interests in these groups.

Also yeah, these laws are confusing. Though I guess that once the Meijis could finally reconvene they would cause a ruckus.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 10, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The only issue i can think of with Admnistrative, Economic and Innovative is that they will compete with Humanism for points. It's not that big of an issue, just means progress in one will be a bit slower. Otherwise the three are solid idea groups.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Rodyle posted:

Idea:

Building Bridges

Supporting this mostly for the idea group. We're the cradle of industry and should play that to the hilt. I do have a couple reservations, mainly that I think the alliances clause is too narrow if none of them want us as friends. I'm also not sure about the accepted cultures since they keep revolting anyway, but why let the perfect be the enemy of the good enough?

Disclaimer: I have never played EU4 because it is super intimidating looking, esp. with so many DLCs :v:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Updated policies:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Lord Cyrahzax, Frionnel, unwantedplatypus, RZApublican, Snipee, the JJ.

QuoProQuid posted:

QuoProQuid.

Archaeology Hat posted:

Archaeology Hat.

Rodyle posted:

Building Bridges

Rodyle, Grizzwold.

sheep-dodger posted:

sheep-dodger.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

3. Any attempts to return the state religion to Sunni Islam are to be suppressed.

Ralepozozaxe.

Talas posted:

Talas, paragon1, GunnerJ, Yvonmukluk, Captain Oblivious.

Technowolf posted:

I propose the It's the economy, stupid! act.
The sultan is to chose Economic as our next idea group and try to get to the idea that gives a permanent -.10 inflation reduction.

Technowolf.

devildragon777 posted:

2: Take Innovative Ideas

devildragon777, Slaan, Vinny Possum.

AJ_Impy posted:

This will work out perfectly, I'm sure.

AJ_Impy.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 10, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Hashim posted:

This will work out perfectly, I'm sure.

Here in Al-Andalus we have set our sights so very high that even failure will carry in it an echo of glory. :colbert:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
In case anyone's wondering, going back to Sunni will tank our prestige and set us at -3 stability.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Idea:

Building Bridges

Supporting this act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

In case anyone's wondering, going back to Sunni will tank our prestige and set us at -3 stability.

And that's assuming the sultan would be okay with it.