Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The solution is to just have a whole lance of Urbanmechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm sure someone has said this already but what are the mechanics with head hits and missiles? It would seem kind of unfair if a bigass salvo is almost guaranteed to score a pilot injury just through sheer numbers.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm sure someone has said this already but what are the mechanics with head hits and missiles? It would seem kind of unfair if a bigass salvo is almost guaranteed to score a pilot injury just through sheer numbers.

The piranha tactic

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

RabidWeasel posted:

it's been forever since I've looked at them but as I recall: we target a single location, and then we cluster all the missiles around that location. But it's not an even distribution around the location; some locations are more likely to receive a deviation than others. So a big loving missile salvo is still the easiest way to get a pilot injury, but it's not guaranteed, and the chance is only slightly higher than if you just shoot a bunch of lasers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ardlen posted:

The solution is to just have a whole lance of Urbanmechs.

Lead by their big brother, the Hunchback.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

In the beta 2 update they removed heads from the missile clustering rules so the whole salvo won't come down on your face if that first one is a golden 12 headshot. I also think you can only take one non-fatal pilot injury per enemy salvo, not including a knockdown injury, but haven't confirmed this myself. I was able to reliably down low guts pilots in a 4 LCT-1V (8MGs total) vs 1 AS7-D Atlas through melee/MG spam. But that's not something you are going to fall in to in the campign. We also tried two custom FS9's w/ all MG and two missile boats to see if it worked 4v4 and it turned out the missile boats were just too destructive after the FS9 melees to pilot kill before really wrecking the chassis/salvage. It worked on the AS7 because it had so much armor that we couldn't get through it to damage the goods before the pilot died.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

isildur posted:

it's been forever since I've looked at them but as I recall: we target a single location, and then we cluster all the missiles around that location. But it's not an even distribution around the location; some locations are more likely to receive a deviation than others. So a big loving missile salvo is still the easiest way to get a pilot injury, but it's not guaranteed, and the chance is only slightly higher than if you just shoot a bunch of lasers.

What, you mean you don't roll/shake one of these every time you fire a pair of LRM-15s? :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Amechwarrior posted:

In the beta 2 update they removed heads from the missile clustering rules so the whole salvo won't come down on your face if that first one is a golden 12 headshot. I also think you can only take one non-fatal pilot injury per enemy salvo, not including a knockdown injury, but haven't confirmed this myself. I was able to reliably down low guts pilots in a 4 LCT-1V (8MGs total) vs 1 AS7-D Atlas through melee/MG spam. But that's not something you are going to fall in to in the campign. We also tried two custom FS9's w/ all MG and two missile boats to see if it worked 4v4 and it turned out the missile boats were just too destructive after the FS9 melees to pilot kill before really wrecking the chassis/salvage. It worked on the AS7 because it had so much armor that we couldn't get through it to damage the goods before the pilot died.

Is there actually a reliable way of blasting heads other than called shots to the head with sufficiently high skill? In this context it would seem that missiles are preferable anyway due to their high instability damage resulting in more knockdowns.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there actually a reliable way of blasting heads other than called shots to the head with sufficiently high skill? In this context it would seem that missiles are preferable anyway due to their high instability damage resulting in more knockdowns.

Even with a maxed tactics skill, a called shot to the head is still pretty unlikely to hit. It is capped at 35%. I can't think of any other way to get headshots bar random headcaps :battletech:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

Survey says, being the AI :v:

Adjust down for how far past the first turn of combat it is. It might be more likely to actually kill you by then, but nobody is going to be impressed by footage of an Urbanmech ventilating your cockpit on round 10 like they would for submitting your pilot's seventh round one injury to Comstar's funniest home video.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 13, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The funniest home videos version of battletech was the 6-way 2 mech each match I played on megamek

Urban map

Turn 1 move 1 Mukaikubo runs his mech around a building, fails a piloting roll, skids his mech into his other mech

they go careening off the board

And muk is eliminated :rip:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Quite a bit of footage of the campaign layer here. It looks great, predictably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJiPxCS1yvs

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

John Charity Spring posted:

I thought I heard that the the interaction stuff between mechwarriors (like a fight starting during travel or something) was removed for time? Did I mis-hear/read?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

John Charity Spring posted:

Atlas with ERLL, mpulse, and DHS spotted :D

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Man I am hype as gently caress for someone else to go through and screencap all those new menus and interfaces they just showed off for the first time.

EDIT: Lmao my girlfriend watched the trailer with me and she's worried that it's not going to be enough like Xcom.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 14, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Gwaihir posted:

Atlas with ERLL, mpulse, and DHS spotted :D

At triple slot, double heat compared to regular HS (and they're mixed with regular ones). If they don't also upgrade the engine heatsinks (and the fact they seem to be individual placeable DHS sinks not a mech-wide upgrade suggests that) that might actually keep them from breaking the balance in half.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 14, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DatonKallandor posted:

At triple slot, double heat compared to regular HS (and they're mixed with regular ones). If they don't also upgrade the engine heatsinks (and the fact they seem to be individual placeable DHS sinks not a mech-wide upgrade suggests that) that might actually keep them from breaking the balance in half.
Yeah I never understood why this wasnt PGI's fix - you can add DHS to a mech, but the engine HS dont change because then the engine would take up a tremendous amount of space if it had 10 integrated DHS rather than SHS (we can apply logic and physics to this part of the game :v: ). Being able to add singles and doubles where they will fit (doubles when they are available in HBS:B) makes a lot more sense rather than "DHS in the engine function normally; DHS added after that are OnePointThreeHS".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

My body is ready :black101:

Voyager I posted:

EDIT: Lmao my girlfriend watched the trailer with me and she's worried that it's not going to be enough like Xcom.
I hope you told her that she is a Bad Person :colbert:

E: I am so thankful that the Argo interface doesn't appear to be anything like the loving tyre fire of XCOM2's cluttered piece of poo poo

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 14, 2018

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Fanatical has the Steam digital deluxe for the price of the regular version. https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/battletech-digital-deluxe-edition

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I never understood why this wasnt PGI's fix - you can add DHS to a mech, but the engine HS dont change because then the engine would take up a tremendous amount of space if it had 10 integrated DHS rather than SHS (we can apply logic and physics to this part of the game :v: ). Being able to add singles and doubles where they will fit (doubles when they are available in HBS:B) makes a lot more sense rather than "DHS in the engine function normally; DHS added after that are OnePointThreeHS".

Yes, well, but, have you considered, :pgi: ?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would be totally okay with XL engines getting more free heatsinks because they are bigger. But they are always IS style XLs that kill you if you lose a side torso.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DatonKallandor posted:

I would be totally okay with XL engines getting more free heatsinks because they are bigger. But they are always IS style XLs that kill you if you lose a side torso.
Thats fine by me, but I'm okay with Clan XL's being such that if you lose a side torso it is automatically two engine hits because you lose two critical slots of engine.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
People have screenshotted the poo poo out of the new video and have basically revealed nearly every part of the interface. You can find it in the threads here not talking about Far Country or other such lore:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/battletech-universe.995/

Highlights:

1. The MechLab interface looks sleek as hell.
2. The 3D portrait system looks pretty fair, and this is the first time I think we've seen it.
3. You can converse with your command staff to get their backstory and such.
4. Some contracts.
5. Of the factions that appear active for a planet, I recognize the Five Great Houses, the Taurians, Magistracy, two emblems I only presume are the Restoration and Directorate, Independents (inhabited planets that don't belong to a greater state), Pirates (presumably only as opponents, maybe?) and ComStar. All of these were in the beta files.
6. The hiring hall gives you stats relating to the generated backstory.
7. Salvage (most recent Q&A revealed that if you accumlate 3 chassis segments you can rebuild the Mech)
8. Upgrades to the Argo (I'm unsure if upgrades for things like the Barracks are in their own section?)
9. Navigation screen.
10. Preparing your Lance for combat, the interface looks really good.

Overall real compliments to the interface, it looks really nice. My excitement level has jumped up several notches.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
getting seriously pumped for Shadowtech: Robofall

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah XCom 3 looking good

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah XCom 3 looking good

I think you mean Mechs-Com.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think you mean Mechs-Com.

X-COMStar

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
meXwarrior : Dropship Defense

Caros
May 14, 2008

You know a game looks awesome when I get halfway through the campaign trailer and turn it off because I don't want to spend the next month and a half craving it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Caros posted:

You know a game looks awesome when I get halfway through the campaign trailer and turn it off because I don't want to spend the next month and a half craving it.

You want to know the sad part?

You were too late.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zaodai posted:

You want to know the sad part?

You were too late.

You're right. I watched the rest of the trailer

:negative:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Have they said anything about how event outcomes are handled? Is it a percent chance to succeed or fail, modified by any unique skills or traits? The example in the video is your tech asking to borrow one of your pilots to do an EVA on the Argo. She says it's dangerous, but the MechWarrior has experience working on ships, so I assume that improves their odds of not getting lost in the void? Are the possible outcomes surfaced in any way, like a tooltip, or is it all down to parsing the event prose?

Edit: another question, do you start out with an active loan that needs repayment à la Animal Crossing or are loans only for big purchases and dire times?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 15, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't know the answer to the Event part, but you start actively in debt to The Man.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zaodai posted:

I don't know the answer to the Event part, but you start actively in debt to The Man.

THE MAN :argh::argh::argh::argh:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Telephone Man

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I don't think it is a pass/fail sort of challenge. The last time it came up, my understanding was that it would influence morale and change how your crew reacts to events.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Have they said in April when it's releasing? This is important.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

high six posted:

No confirmation. Best guess is the 24th.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god I'm hype for this, that trailer had everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

high six posted:

I'm going to call them announcing the date on the 1st, then going 'april fools' and either releasing it that week or setting a new date.