Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

idontpost69 posted:

Sam Lake 2 seems like a nice little game but excessive quirkiness, boring enemy design, and an undeserved crossover shared universe, that's 3 strikes for me. Maybe I'll pick it up in a steam sale in a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
what the gently caress is "excessive quirkiness"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

idontpost69 posted:

Sam Lake 2 seems like a nice little game but excessive quirkiness, boring enemy design, and an undeserved crossover shared universe, that's 3 strikes for me. Maybe I'll pick it up in a steam sale in a couple years.

More like ishouldntpost69

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

and why does a game need to "deserve" to be connected to other games by the same director/dev team

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

and why does a game need to "deserve" to be connected to other games by the same director/dev team

yeah I don't get this complaint at all lol.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The connection of Control and Alan Wake 2 has actually felt pretty smooth so far. Its not some MCU-esque "HEY HEY LOOK AT THE THING FROM THE OTHER THING"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I imagine shared universes feel more cohesive when every single entry in them shares a director.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its especially weird to complain about it when the level of crossover is at basically the same level as Buffy showing up on Angel for an episode or The Lone Gunmen mentioning Mulder and Scully (probably a more apt comparison). There's some stuff you might miss the broader context on if you didn't play control but it's hardly necessary.

Also really appreciating the approach of less enemies used to greater effect rather than the hordes of dudes in black stink clouds bum rushing from AW1.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If anything I want more crossover. The FBC isn’t trying nearly hard enough, wake me up when they drain Cauldron Lake and ship it all to The Oldest House, then we’ll talk.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

More like Alan WANK am I right fellas :jerkbag:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alan Woke more like it.

I hear it has a woman in it you see

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FreudianSlippers posted:

Alan Woke more like it.

I hear it has a woman in it you see

even worse... a black woman

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bussamove posted:

If anything I want more crossover. The FBC isn’t trying nearly hard enough, wake me up when they drain Cauldron Lake and ship it all to The Oldest House, then we’ll talk.

Yeah they are pretty hands off for a lake of water that can make you see the future and summon monsters with a pencil

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Isn't he just Takashi-san from the lighthouse?

Is it? He looks kinda different but it might be.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

even worse... a black woman

And she tells a man what to do! No gamer is safe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bussamove posted:

the luck & probability department's been hogging the budget this year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly given the poo poo they did to the Ordinary site I'm surprised they *haven't* drained the lake at this point

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Here is a Pathologic 2 steam key for anyone that wants it:

VMH5E-9YR9R-W3R48

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really do not understand why Alan Wake 2 has so much creative freedom and budget. I didn't think Control was that successful that Epic would pour so much money into Sam Lake finally getting to make the game he has always wanted to make.

I mean I'm not complaining, but why?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I really do not understand why Alan Wake 2 has so much creative freedom and budget. I didn't think Control was that successful that Epic would pour so much money into Sam Lake finally getting to make the game he has always wanted to make.

I mean I'm not complaining, but why?

It's the closest thing the epic store has to a half life 2

Fortnighters aren't buying stuff on the store

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Whirling posted:

Is it? He looks kinda different but it might be.

Could be different or could be the same guy but drawn off-model, which is feasible. Or maybe he looks like an overworked shlub while he's out collecting jars of blood and cherished memories from people (i.e., his day job), but when you get a couple drinks in him, raise the doom level a bit, and hand him a cult mask, he perks up like a freshly watered tomato plant?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bloober games are pure hackwork, but Remedy games are very much an aging product of the late 90’s — not just in their combat mechanics, but in the way that, like most every other nerd of that time, their takeaway from the commercial and critical success of Tarantino movies was that a deep knowledge of your genre referents was not just necessary to make something good out of them, but sufficient. Tarantino made elevated genre pulp look so easy that everybody who came after him fell headlong into reverent pastiche. Alan Wake is a great example.

We’ve spent the last 20 years and change inundated by artists’ love letters to formative pulp influences. All the flavor’s chewed out of that gum, tbh. As someone who loves horror specifically I have well and truly moved on from giving anyone significant credit for expressing sincere love for the genre through the work.

It’s no longer enough to be earnest. Earnestness is now a crutch used to wave away clumsiness. But what’s clumsy is very rarely good. Quite often people are afraid that going for good work — work which challenges or surprises the audience — will fail, so instead they aim for safe work, ingratiating art, which will get points for sincerity but lacks the juice to provoke negative reaction.

What I find tedious about Remedy post-Alan Wake is that they fell in love with weird sci fi mystery, but they remain chronically incapable of the subtlety or withholding necessary to do those things well — they don’t write good X Files episodes, they write Chris Carter mythology episodes.

The metafiction angle with AW2 is a cheap trick to try and get around / integrate the obviousness of Sam Lake’s writing — now whenever somebody plainly states what’s happening, they’re “casting a spell” or whatever, instead of being expository. But unfortunately, it’s all still expository. And you can’t escape the feeling that it’s all leading up to some Remedy’s Avengers cinematic crossover bullshit.

Miserable rear end mfer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also part of the reason Alan Wake and its sequel specifically aren't just thoughtless homages is because they're explicitly about the creative process, the search for the "perfect" story when you have self-doubt about even being able to make anything decent, and how art itself is ultimately just a confluence of influences where you struggle to find your own identity within a sea of subconscious impulses born from all the stuff that made the biggest impression on you as a budding artist. The Dark Place is a very direct metaphor in that regard, and the games are definitely about just taking joy in the creative process and learning to accept your love for art and what you want to make as it is, without loathing yourself for failing to be a paragon of originality.

You can tell it's very personal for the writers and obviously the most personal for Sam Lake himself, who started his career in earnest with a game that was specifically an overwrought homage.

I think that makes their games beautiful and gives them an aura of honesty and sincerity because they deeply want to make the games they develop and aren't embarrassed to wear their influences on their sleeve, even if there are a bunch of joyless purists who think absolutely everything needs to defy its influences by distancing itself as much as possible.

The Alan Wake games are just a big, big hug to all the self-doubting artists out there, telling you not to be embarrassed about what you love or the things you dream of creating the most.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nowhere has alan wake 2's commentary struck deeper than the very end where alan is surrounded by people manically screaming out five-star review blurbs of his work like a sentient goodreads section. so much worse/more unnerving than if they'd been savaging it instead

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm not sure what makes it so fun as hell because the actual gameplay is really simplistic but something about the atmosphere and writing and general vibe of the game just elevates it.

Sometimes simplistic gameplay is fine. Tetris owns.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Crossposting from AW2 thread but stuff like this does harm the experience a little. Maybe this is why you should always wait for a patch

https://youtu.be/0pibWmmYl9g?si=kX4QylovKise1goA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blockhouse posted:

what the gently caress is "excessive quirkiness"

"Surprising in a way that makes me feel insecure"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Well gang, I'm playing SCORN.

I don't know that I'd actually classify it as survival horror. More like... a sightseeing tour through some of the most luxuriously realized Giger-inspired industrial body horror artwork you can imagine.

The combat is very clunky and best avoided whenever possible, so maybe it is survival horror after all. It's not very scary though, not even with headphones in the dark. It's straight-up amazing to look at and wander through, though.

Hot tip for those of you in Denmark: Someone hosed up the regional pricing on the deluxe version of Scorn in the Epic Games store, so it's permanently 90% cheaper than it's supposed to be (40 DKK instead of 400). Right now it's on sale for 16.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 30, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I'd be enjoying Dead Space Remake more if it wasn't straight-up broken. There's a loading bug that can cause enemies to disappear and items to fall through the floor. Reloading a save usually fixes it, unless you're in Chapter 10 where it triggers regularly, and reloading saves in certain places gets you a black screen.

And apparently this bug has existed since it released.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I'd be enjoying Dead Space Remake more if it wasn't straight-up broken. There's a loading bug that can cause enemies to disappear and items to fall through the floor. Reloading a save usually fixes it, unless you're in Chapter 10 where it triggers regularly, and reloading saves in certain places gets you a black screen.

And apparently this bug has existed since it released.

I started playing it yesterday since it was on gamepass and I haven't had that particular bug, but I've twice had a cutscene fail to trigger and thus completely lock me out of the game. I read somewhere else that there's a bug that completely disables the enemy AI for a given section, which sounds great for ammo conservation but not so much for gameplay.

Also been playing 𝚆𝙾𝚁𝙻𝙳 𝙾𝙵 𝙷𝙾𝚁𝚁𝙾𝚁, it's good but the default Skeptic playthrough absolutely does not prepare you for the real thing. I breezed through a couple of playthroughs on it then hit quick play on Cultist, and was dead before I reached the end of the first mystery. Still a fun game, looking forward to dying in new and inventive ways!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dregan posted:

I started playing it yesterday since it was on gamepass and I haven't had that particular bug, but I've twice had a cutscene fail to trigger and thus completely lock me out of the game. I read somewhere else that there's a bug that completely disables the enemy AI for a given section, which sounds great for ammo conservation but not so much for gameplay.

Also been playing 𝚆𝙾𝚁𝙻𝙳 𝙾𝙵 𝙷𝙾𝚁𝚁𝙾𝚁, it's good but the default Skeptic playthrough absolutely does not prepare you for the real thing. I breezed through a couple of playthroughs on it then hit quick play on Cultist, and was dead before I reached the end of the first mystery. Still a fun game, looking forward to dying in new and inventive ways!

If it's like what happened to me, it'll start occurring around the time you have to re-visit Medical.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Seeing Laura Palmer in the background in Mulholland Drive and immediately calling the police

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The Alan Wake games are just a big, big hug to all the self-doubting artists out there, telling you not to be embarrassed about what you love or the things you dream of creating the most.

It's just a video game. You don't need to write a thesis on it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Panderfringe posted:

It's just a video game. You don't need to write a thesis on it.

yeah. it's hosed up that that guy wants to discuss games in the games forum

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't see why it's not ok for a person to write words about their thoughts of a game they like or dislike. Just agree or disagree with them! What is with telling them off for being enthusiastic lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Also part of the reason Alan Wake and its sequel specifically aren't just thoughtless homages is because they're explicitly about the creative process, the search for the "perfect" story when you have self-doubt about even being able to make anything decent, and how art itself is ultimately just a confluence of influences where you struggle to find your own identity within a sea of subconscious impulses born from all the stuff that made the biggest impression on you as a budding artist. The Dark Place is a very direct metaphor in that regard, and the games are definitely about just taking joy in the creative process and learning to accept your love for art and what you want to make as it is, without loathing yourself for failing to be a paragon of originality.

You can tell it's very personal for the writers and obviously the most personal for Sam Lake himself, who started his career in earnest with a game that was specifically an overwrought homage.

I think that makes their games beautiful and gives them an aura of honesty and sincerity because they deeply want to make the games they develop and aren't embarrassed to wear their influences on their sleeve, even if there are a bunch of joyless purists who think absolutely everything needs to defy its influences by distancing itself as much as possible.

This may be true but I honestly prefer it as not. There's a *lot* of media that is self-referential in that way and it comes off as very masturbatory, and I think that if AW is intended that way then it doesn't escape that trap. I think it works more as a meta thing for a character in a story rather than a personal story about fulfillment as a writer.

Honestly if we want to take that tack then I'd probably lay it down on the side of what creation means in terms of your responsibility for your creation. The actions of people around the Lake makes so much shrapnel that hurts everyone in the area, and Wake is no different. Even when he wasn't trying to directly magic his wife back to life he still created something that went on to have a negative effect once it left his hands, and feels the need to fix it. I think the sequel is leaning into that with the Cult of the Woods, a group that took his work and ran with it, making something horrifying out of something he made for cash and now feels responsible for. It works both in the sense of writers who are horrified when their work inspire something horrifying and also creatives who make something that they feel they can just go "It's just a story bro" when people express concern about it.

I get that the "writer's journey" meta plot fits better with reality since Alan Wake's novels are basically Max Payne but it's just my view on it from a storytelling standpoint.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't see why it's not ok for a person to write words about their thoughts of a game they like or dislike. Just agree or disagree with them! What is with telling them off for being enthusiastic lol

Haven't you heard that earnestness is a crutch

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 30, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's a decent post

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think even a big Remedy fan probably has to admit that the game where live action Sam Lake mugs the Max Payne face to the camera is probably a little masturbatory

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's what Remedy fans paid money to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think even a big Remedy fan probably has to admit that the game where live action Sam Lake mugs the Max Payne face to the camera is probably a little masturbatory

yeah but IMO it works here since it adds to the weirdness of that scene, the crowd goes wild but Alan still has no idea wtf is going on.