Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kanye dickriders are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just loving hate celebrities

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

"Wenches, go forth."

nice

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

Ok I guess I was wrong about ultra-wealthy but his dad was the drummer for Jerry Lee Lewis and he grew up in a neighborhood where the average home price today is anywhere from $2-12 million, so I'd say he counts as a nepo baby.

that's just called being rich
it's nepotism when your parents use their connections to important people to get you advantages in life (rather than just using money, which is regular old capitalism)

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Kanye dickriders are beautiful.

believe what i say

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

R.L. Stine posted:

i like kool a.d.

Best rapper alive

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's nepotism when your parents use their connections to important people to get you advantages in life (rather than just using money, which is regular old capitalism)

I assume that every rich person with famous parents got their start in entertainment through their parents connections

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It was really disappointing to learn that a lot of the artists I like are just rich kids who were able to get richer thanks to their parent’s money. Ed the Sock used to call out bands cosplaying poor/ working class whose members grew up in mansions.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Some people might consider being a professional musician, a connection to important people in the music industry

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
lol somehow i skimmed over that part of the post

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

It was really disappointing to learn that a lot of the artists I like are just rich kids who were able to get richer thanks to their parent’s money. Ed the Sock used to call out bands cosplaying poor/ working class whose members grew up in mansions.

Taylor Swift's dad was ultra rich and literally became an angel investor for a startup record label to get her career started by publishing and heavily promoting her first album

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 7, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I follow a few subreddits for instruments that are 99% just talking technique, playing, players, equipment and gear, etc. Really boring but useful stuff if you play.

That 1% however is some wild poo poo. From r/violinist

Help! Trying to Romance Someone and Show Them I Love Them

quote:

Hi, former childhood advanced violinist (38y/o). I am looking for your advice on a piece to learn to win back my ex. I want to prove my love and commitment to her by learning a piece and playing it in the street outside her window in June. She always wanted to hear me play. This will be healthy for me as well because if she rejects me, I will have some closure and a new connection with the violin to nurture.

So far have considered Praeludium and Allegro because it's significant to me, and probably many childhood violinists... I question my ability to relearn it fast enough. But I also do like the idea of suffering a bit to learn.

I love Bruch violin Concerto #1 movement 2. It's very expressive, but also long and I dont know if it works unaccompanied.. I have not played all of it before.

I like Beethoven Romance #2 in f, but very tired of it from playing it so much in the past.

Any recommendations of your favorites? I would rather it be very expressive than very technical, but some technicality is good too.

(Thank you for the beautiful constructive responses from those who gave them, including the cautionary ones)

Thank you!! 😊

My personal favourite comment and OP response:

reddit commenter posted:

Start by asking yourself, "Is this actually a gesture she'll appreciate?"

This is your ex -- how long has it been since you've broken up? Has she given any kind of indication that she wants to get back together? Are you still friends? If you're not still friends, does she still respond in a friendly manner to your attempts to contact her and if not, is this a desperation move to try to get her attention?

Where does she live, and how will her neighbors feel about some violinist playing outside her window? Is she likely to call the cops on you for trespassing, or consider your gesture to be stalker-y?

Your post seems awfully me-centered rather than her-centered, so I'd ask yourself what she really wants. At the very least, I'd search for a piece of music that is meaningful to her in some way. (Not just "what she likes", but something that speaks to her specifically.)

The loving OP posted:

I actually want to tell you the story but I don't know if I can handle putting myself out there like that to cruel strangers of the internet. I am considering everything you are saying and I hear your critique loud and clear. She does not want to hear from me, but she also told me she still loves me. So, I am going to give her space for a month or two. During that time she is sure to have solidified how she feels about me for good or ill.

I will play for a few minutes and it will be clear if she likes it or not. If she does not like it I will go. She lives in Hollywood where there is a ton of noise, and people will probably find what I'm doing cute or entertaining.

Are we not violinists who feel passion? May God strike me down if earnestly playing some notes for someone I care deeply about is wrong. I can think of few things more meaningful in life. I am ready to give my life to her. If she doesn't want me I will accept it.

Romcom poisoning alive and well, I see! Not the sort of content I expect to see of my equivalent of the most boring news feed tho lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'm glad someone noticed. I feel validated. :)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why the poo poo is this stupid drake/kendrick beef showing up in the most arbitrary feeds?

Better than all the incels losing their poo poo over the man/bear meme.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Like how Taylor Swift's dad paid a record company $300,000 to sign her on.

As opposed to:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
even in non famous peeps contexts you have poo poo like "legacy admissions" in ivy league schools where if your daddy went to an expensive upper-class school you get in for free without having to go through the admissions process or compete against proles on test scores

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why the poo poo is this stupid drake/kendrick beef showing up in the most arbitrary feeds?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I feel seen…

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Abolish rich people and their children imho

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Someone should tell Reddit the world is actually built on who you know not what you know, they’ll go loving nuts.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I like that Reddit tries to block VPNs now. So now the process for viewing a reddit link is getting the blocked page, changing vpn locations, changing the url to old.reddit.com and then finally viewing. But they still don't require email verification.

They gotta tell their shareholders they're sitting on an unscrapable treasure trove of LLM training data with new signups every minute.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Internet Old One posted:

They gotta tell their shareholders they're sitting on an unscrapable treasure trove of LLM training data with new signups every minute.

https://arstechnica.com/ai/2024/02/reddit-has-already-booked-203m-in-revenue-licensing-data-for-ai-training/

that's probably why VPNs are getting blocked, they're trying to keep scrapers running from datacenter IP addresses out

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Internet Old One posted:

I like that Reddit tries to block VPNs now. So now the process for viewing a reddit link is getting the blocked page, changing vpn locations, changing the url to old.reddit.com and then finally viewing.

But they still don't require email verification.

asking just in general not just for reddit, when did account creation policies no longer require doing a complete email verification, like many account creation processes are just enter an address or phone# and password and thats it.

no waiting for an email with a link or a text with a passnum.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

repiv posted:

https://arstechnica.com/ai/2024/02/reddit-has-already-booked-203m-in-revenue-licensing-data-for-ai-training/

that's probably why VPNs are getting blocked, they're trying to keep scrapers running from datacenter IP addresses out

Yeah but a bunch of VPN endpoints still work. Anyone competent enough to scrape their stuff and somehow make money off them isn't going to be slowed down by this at all.

PhazonLink posted:

asking just in general not just for reddit, when did account creation policies no longer require doing a complete email verification, like many account creation processes are just enter an address or phone# and password and thats it.

Probably the latest silly-con valley scheme for inflating KPIs. Someone should assemble a list of popular sites that do this and make a script that registers accounts on all of them for a given email address just to be a dick.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

PhazonLink posted:

Reddit used to really like child sex abuse images. I mean really like them.

Letting people make account without even a pretence of identifying themselves is a feature not a bug.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
We should all be thankful that the Drake drama has overshadowed the awful "women choose the bear" discourse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Reddit will always find time for "females are stupid whores" posts.

We're by no means above that here, but goddamn this site is so much better* when it comes to not being misogynists, homophobes and general all-round bigots.

* now

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I am also a stupid whore so I can’t really talk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reddit used to really like child sex abuse images. I mean really like them.

Letting people make account without even a pretence of identifying themselves is a feature not a bug.

well i hope all those people that keep using my gmail address as a burner, like not having their account/service because lol i keep closing/deleting them* making the max most secure password i can.

*this is another thing, closing/deleting accounts used to be easy, but now its not.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Grimdude posted:

We should all be thankful that the Drake drama has overshadowed the awful "women choose the bear" discourse.

did reddit finally discover canadian literature?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Borscht posted:

I am also a stupid whore so I can’t really talk.

Ditto; my mouth's busy

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
mom's spageezy

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Dear Reddit. Is this random text saying my mom wants to connect with me from jail a scam?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/1cqg1fm/like_90_sure_this_is_a_scam_but_i_want_to_make/

It is not a scam.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It should be. gently caress this country and whatever ghouls established inmateconnect.com or whatever. Just the absolute worst people

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

PhazonLink posted:

*this is another thing, closing/deleting accounts used to be easy, but now its not.

Glad I shut my reddit account down a couple months ago then

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just make an anti-genocide post in the Israel sub. That should get you an account ban real quick.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
no it wont
volunteer reddit moderators can only ban you from their personal fiefdoms. it's not like SA where they can request a ban and have the admins approve it. the admins dont do poo poo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Go try it, then.

e: also, didn't we just have this discussion a week ago?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yeah i think yall did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
once more with feeling