Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm kinda glad in the long run because this is their third attempt at Diadem and so far it's going as well as the first two. The designer in charge of it has some serious corporate inertia but eventually he'll get told to sit down and stop channeling Tanaka.

(also because there's a lot of good games to play atm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MechaX posted:

I never even touched Diadem at any point and this was like "well... I guess there is a bit of novelty in seeing what looks like the FFXIV version of the Normandy Beach Landings, but I have been doing this stuff for 30 minutes and only got like 2 crystals."

Hell, the level 1-3 enemies in the starting area look straight up bot-able.
Yeah but it seems like fighting anything even close to your level gives you gently caress all exp, the level 1-3 enemies might as well not exist

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

homeless snail posted:

Yeah but it seems like fighting anything even close to your level gives you gently caress all exp, the level 1-3 enemies might as well not exist

You get good XP (~100ish) by killing things solo, but that won't last. I joined one of the grind groups going around and we killed poo poo for about 40 minutes. Killing things 2-3 levels higher than us gave, on average, 14 XP per kill. When you need thousands to level up even once...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

You get good XP (~100ish) by killing things solo, but that won't last. I joined one of the grind groups going around and we killed poo poo for about 40 minutes. Killing things 2-3 levels higher than us gave, on average, 14 XP per kill. When you need thousands to level up even once...
Was there another group in the area? exp is shared so you might as well just stop everything if you so much as even see someone that's not in your party. I was in a full level 3/4 group farming those level 7 squids out east and we were getting 60-100xp per kill (level 5 takes 10k xp haha)

There is also a 2x XP buff NPC that floats around, seems like if you're going to grind you should try to find where that guy is first thing

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Was there another group in the area? exp is shared so you might as well just stop everything if you so much as even see someone that's not in your party. I was in a full level 3/4 group farming those level 7 squids out east and we were getting 60-100xp per kill (level 5 takes 10k xp haha)

There is also a 2x XP buff NPC that floats around, seems like if you're going to grind you should try to find where that guy is first thing

Nope. This was just eight of us going ham on monsters before they could make the PLD's health vanish.

I would be surprised if the current implementation lasts until next week. This is pretty bad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dr Snofeld posted:

What is the stat priority for Samurai? After getting it to 70 I found I like it a lot and am switching mains from DRG.

Prior to this patch it was DH > Crit > Sks but it seems the math nerds have spoken and it is now Sks > DH > Crit. I'm still in the process of swapping everything and unfortunately this means Sam BIS is mostly tomestone leftside (yuck).

Asimo posted:

Dear Square, please stop letting that one old FFXI staff member manage and develop major content. Nobody wants to loving play FFXI again, even in Japan.

We say Koji Fox Must Be Stopped in a loving way.

When we say Komoto Must Be Stopped we mean it with all seriousness. Eureka sounds awful, just like we predicted it would be based on literally everything else Komoto has lead the development of in this game.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

What is the stat priority for Samurai? After getting it to 70 I found I like it a lot and am switching mains from DRG.

Here is what the math nerds say https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RPFyGutCbaARPIaJ5BM5-cTETedDMagnLiYkdfU0a04/edit#gid=512087865

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's just straight up baffling that they think people want or need "content" like Eureka. Gimme Palace of the Dead 2.0 in that Jenga tower instead of this horseshit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm grumpy that the weekly rank B bill hasn't been moved to daily in the like, year and a half I haven't played. It's not like Allied Seals are useful anymore for anything other than glamours, and PVP glams were made way easier to get with the 1000 marks daily for frontline. :mad:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The irony of this dropping the same day you can get an i360 weapon from o8n isn't lost on me.

I was prepared to do a relic/anima grind and keep up with it this patch cycle. At least I know I won't have to do that now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

We say Koji Fox Must Be Stopped in a loving way.

When we say Komoto Must Be Stopped we mean it with all seriousness. Eureka sounds awful, just like we predicted it would be based on literally everything else Komoto has lead the development of in this game.
Each time he does it, it gets a little bit better, when Diadem 6.0 is released to critical acclaim in 2022 all this is gonna be worth it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The best thing about Eureka is, at my current lazy-rear end pacing, by the time I'm capped there will be a different endgame content for me to enjoy, instead.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What's most puzzling is the fact that this got delayed. I can only guess they had different plans for it that, for whatever reason, didn't pan out, and so we got this hot garbage grind instead. Why not just copy the Legion endgame zones, which are perfectly good examples of open world PVE content?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
This doesn't sound like a good reason to come back and play instead of monster hunter.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vermain posted:

What's most puzzling is the fact that this got delayed. I can only guess they had different plans for it that, for whatever reason, didn't pan out, and so we got this hot garbage grind instead. Why not just copy the Legion endgame zones, which are perfectly good examples of open world PVE content?

Eureka is just weird to me. On paper when they were like "Up to 144 players in parties of up to 8" I thought I was about to read the magical words "Battle Royale"

But then it was just
overworld competitive spawn camping, I think?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also I really was not expecting the continuation of the Isle of Val plot hook to happen in Eureka of all places. It better have a good payoff because I'm going to get to level 20 to see it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Each time he does it, it gets a little bit better, when Diadem 6.0 is released to critical acclaim in 2022 all this is gonna be worth it.

Iterative improvements to Eureka on the planning table:

- Allow groups of players to seize and control territory in the far reaches of the zone and build forts and siege weapons
- Enable open world PvP in player-controlled areas of Eureka. Defeat other players to seize their crystals
- Allow players to convert their crystals into Crysta to pay for monthly subs
- Rename zone to EUREKA Online

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

From elemental level 5.

And it's something I'm going to end up doing because I want that loving T-Rex. :shepicide:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So do we know the requirements for the T-Rex yet

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

So do we know the requirements for the T-Rex yet

Someone on Reddit got one. It apparently drops from lockboxes, which come from bosses that spawn completely at random.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well

Imma do it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Also I really was not expecting the continuation of the Isle of Val plot hook to happen in Eureka of all places. It better have a good payoff because I'm going to get to level 20 to see it.

Refresh me on what this is? The name's not ringing a bell, not sure if it's something I missed or forgot about.

Bummer Eureka sounds like it sucks. I was sort of excited to be playing when the relic stuff started so I'd actually be able to keep up, but it sounds like such a boring grind I'd be better off just continuing to grind levels on alts.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Does the t-rex fly?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Apparently even the JP players are hooting and hollering about how bad Eureka is, so maybe there'll be some changes before the month is out. Doubt they can really do anything beyond softening the grind, since the actual core problem of Eureka (FFXIV's battles aren't very fun without mechanics to pay attention to or massive groups of things to pull and then slamdaddy with Inner Release) isn't fixable without additional development time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

Someone on Reddit got one. It apparently drops from lockboxes, which come from bosses that spawn completely at random.

Said lockboxes also contain other wondrous treasures though so your time is hardly wasted!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Iterative improvements to Eureka on the planning table:

- Allow groups of players to seize and control territory in the far reaches of the zone and build forts and siege weapons
- Enable open world PvP in player-controlled areas of Eureka. Defeat other players to seize their crystals
- Allow players to convert their crystals into Crysta to pay for monthly subs
- Rename zone to EUREKA Online
Looking forward to Komoto's kickstarter

Oxyclean posted:

Refresh me on what this is? The name's not ringing a bell, not sure if it's something I missed or forgot about.

Bummer Eureka sounds like it sucks. I was sort of excited to be playing when the relic stuff started so I'd actually be able to keep up, but it sounds like such a boring grind I'd be better off just continuing to grind levels on alts.
It's something that was only mentioned in passing in like 2.5, the Isle of Val is where the scholars of Baldesion come from, and there was one scene long ago where Minfilia learns via linkpearl about a mysterious explosion that seemingly destroyed the island and is pretty much never mentioned again except maybe once when Krile is introduced. It is also a big FF5 reference along with Krile herself and her grandpa Galuf.

Kitfox88 posted:

Said lockboxes also contain other wondrous treasures though so your time is hardly wasted!

This shall now be referred to as eureka.png

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 13, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So far Eureka feels like a weird mishmash of FFXI's Dynamis and Abyssea.

At the very least, I guess I can zone out to podcasts or something while I grind. :shrug: I'm gonna want that Outsider Anemos because I'm a goddamn MCH for life and I hate myself.

I'm hoping that it will be easy to jump in and out of parties while it stays popular.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This may sound alarmist, but I think this honestly the worst of all the Diadem-esque releases yet. This Content Is Really Bad.

I rushed to level 5 only to find that my next point of interest would be at level loving 13, and sure some people will respond "hey what's the rush? just play it casually." But there's nothing to do except rush. You can farm efficiently, or inefficiently if you want, but whether you do that for 20 minutes at a time or 2 hours at a time there is literally nothing else interesting happening. Just get a group, find an isolated area, and pull the same type of mob, one at a time, 30 times in a row. Then do it again. Or farm solo, and do the same thing, but get a little less xp per hour.

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 13, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Vermain posted:

the actual core problem of Eureka (FFXIV's battles aren't very fun without mechanics to pay attention to or massive groups of things to pull and then slamdaddy with Inner Release) isn't fixable without additional development time.

They probably should have just done crazy poo poo with the battle system like PvP did (or at least tried to do). It’s not like Eureka is either going to be representative of the main game, nor will it introduce mechanics that people will give a drat about.

This is a shame because I’m winding down on Monster Hunter and want to move on to something else. Yesterday, I was wanting to see how all of this Eureka stuff panned out.

But now, I’ll probably just pick up my 360 weapon and then pick up Bayonetta 1+2 on the Switch and gently caress off until 4.3 hits.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Martman posted:

This may sound alarmist, but I think this honestly the worst of all the Diadem-esque releases yet. This Content Is Really Bad.

I rushed to level 5 only to find that my next point of interest would be at level loving 13, and sure some people will respond "hey what's the rush? just play it casually." But there's nothing to do except rush. You can farm efficiently, or inefficiently, but whether you do that for 20 minutes at a time or 2 hours at a time there is literally nothing else interesting happening. Just get a group, find an isolated area, and pull the same type of mob, one at a time, 30 times in a row. Then do it again.

I wonder how the FFXI apologists are responding to this.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

MechaX posted:

They probably should have just done crazy poo poo with the battle system like PvP did (or at least tried to do)

I really like converting 3 individual moves into a single button that you keep pressing to combo off of, but that's because I'm lazy as poo poo. :shrug:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

There are always people claiming to enjoy just sitting back, chilling, and letting their brain turn to mush for a few hours, but I think it gets pretty obvious pretty quick when content truly dies.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Martman posted:

I rushed to level 5 only to find that my next point of interest would be at level loving 13, and sure some people will respond "hey what's the rush? just play it casually." But there's nothing to do except rush. You can farm efficiently, or inefficiently if you want, but whether you do that for 20 minutes at a time or 2 hours at a time there is literally nothing else interesting happening. Just get a group, find an isolated area, and pull the same type of mob, one at a time, 30 times in a row. Then do it again. Or farm solo, and do the same thing, but get a little less xp per hour.
I've defended a lot of things, but there's nothing defensible about this. It's just really loving boring.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

DizzyBum posted:

My FC leader (granted it's a RP FC so it's packed with grognards) says that 'no one forces you to farm for Relic' and that he just loves the old-style gameplay that the island offers :shrug: He got really snappy at me for criticizing the island.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

DizzyBum posted:

Been reading the OF for this reason and so far out of 15 pages of thread ive only seen maybe 5 people trying to defend it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's like someone saying they prefer playing Cookie Clicker by doing nothing but clicking the cookie, never buying any upgrades. What do you even say to that?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Love too sit in my base and build SCVs all day

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kitfox88 posted:

I really like converting 3 individual moves into a single button that you keep pressing to combo off of, but that's because I'm lazy as poo poo. :shrug:

“Put Dreadwyrn and Deathflare on the same button. Do the same with the Bahamut buttons and only do one Trail stack to get him out. No, we are not doing these things for PvE because we need things to fix in 5.0.”

Just go hog wild in Eureka SE. Let SMN summon 2 Bahamuts at higher levels, Bard give a Haste song, etc. if anyone claims that it’s not balanced, let them know that asking for the FFXI experience will always be a Monkey’s Paw wish. (I am joking. Somewhat.)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Martman posted:

There are always people claiming to enjoy just sitting back, chilling, and letting their brain turn to mush for a few hours, but I think it gets pretty obvious pretty quick when content truly dies.

Zoning out and grinding is a fine thing to do every once in a while. It's a zen thing almost. But it's a break from, you know, interesting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m relieved that eureka is bad because I feel like I now have full permission to refuse to learn anything about it