Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, it's completely custom. Combination of CNC'd aluminum and 3D-printed stuff -- I wanted the install to be as clean as possible, so it bolts onto the existing gauge mounts with two bolts, fits the existing speedometer cable, and uses the existing wiring harness (albeit with a new fancy multi-pin waterproof connector to replace the bullet plugs). I can pull it off to work on it in thirty seconds.

All the wiring is point-to-point on protoboards, because again, v1.0 -- once I figure out the proper display technology I'm going to get some boards fabbed and that'll probably shrink the housing to like 30% of the size.

e: here is some of the electrical stuff to filter the spark plug signal. That green trace is a recording I made of the raw signal, and the others are SPICE simulations of the filter circuit. The thing works astoundingly well; I am not even doing any filtering in software, and I've literally never seen the RPM glitch out. It was the first time I'd done any serious analog electronics work so I'm pretty stoked about it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

holy poo poo that is loving rad x 100

edit: added multiplier

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 12, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Okay here's one more. I put it in the show of faculty work last fall so I had to make a presentation board: (assuming this works, imgur is being hot garbage today)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
that's rad

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you do that kind of work professionally?

Because my attempts at getting a model made for 3d printing is about like folding origami with mittens on. It's easy to visualize what you want, but when it gets down to measurements and materials and not forgetting anything it gets bad fast.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

yeah, yall are killin it with all this electronic stuff while i'm over here trying to figure out how to make a basic switchboard for my shitbox s13

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Goddamnit sagebrush, will you please make more of those so I can buy a hawk gt to put it on?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thief posted:

yeah, yall are killin it with all this electronic stuff while i'm over here trying to figure out how to make a basic switchboard for my shitbox s13

I just finished putting in a new HU in my car along with a backup camera and was feeling pretty good about it. Now I feel like a scrub.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Professor of Cats posted:

That's rad! and thanks! I'll post more details about the dash in the raspberry pi thread; but in short I'm just stuffing everything into it; GPS, logging, phone app connectivity, etc. ALL THE THINGS type of thing. It was also a chance to flex my dumb lizard brain design muscles. It was a blast and honestly honored people like it too.

My 72 LTD is a ratty muscle car project that I also want to do all the things too. Mostly because it is my fun toy but it is also an excuse to learn new things. Here are some shots of her;

1972 Ford LTD Brougham. 2-door hardtop (vinyl long gone, someone before me replaced it with rhino lining lol). I rebuilt the engine myself from a 429 to a 466. New exhaust, headers, etc etc. Limited slip in the back now as well. I want to start making the inside nice again along with modern tech like cameras, etc. Hench the dash project!

Though for the dash on that, I want to match the aesthetic as well and a longer screen. Should be neat.

edit: (sorry didnt mean to hiject this with personal ride bs!)

No sir, you are in the right loving place. Everything about the Teslonda and that LTD belongs in this thread.

Even (especially) the Rhandau top.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

holy poo poo that is loving rad x 100
:agreed:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RE dashboard talk: GUYS, I absolutely LOVE anything dashboard related especially when it comes to old school digital dashboards.

I humbly submit my RaspberryPi creation for a friend's crazy EV conversion project. (The Teslonda) It went into a 81 Honda Accord so I wanted a period correct aesthetic. My inspiration was a cross between 80's arcade game and early 80s digital dash (specially the 1983 mitsubishi cordia).

here is a screenshot of it in testing mode (dont mind the numbers here: they dont make sense)

Here it is in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uproz8DwcRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7YF1gJPks

When the "motor" is cut; the dash goes into a "Continue screen" which counts down from 10, then it goes into a "demo" mode. The thing also serves up an app via wifi so you can do logging, etc on your phone. Raspberry Pi stuff is a goddamned blast!

I plan on doing this with my personal project car (the 72 LTD with the big loud engine and hood scoop/shaker). Different aesthetic of course but the sky is the limit.

Why is this not a thread???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

builds character posted:

Goddamnit sagebrush, will you please make more of those so I can buy a hawk gt to put it on?

I'm working on it!!! The OLED in the current version, while gorgeous at night and on overcast days, is not suitable for full-sun usage and also it's a custom-ordered non-stocked part. Also there's probably like 50 hours of painstaking hand soldering in the circuitry and no one is gonna pay me enough to do that again. So the plan is

1) try out a couple of new display technologies (monochrome negative-mode TFT with an RGB backlight is my current direction)
2) refine a few other hardware things like the tach LEDs, the temperature sensor and the internal power regulators
3) design a proper circuit board for all this poo poo and have it fabbed up
4) redesign the housing for the new smaller circuitry
5) make a v2 prototype with all of the above improvements
6) ????
7) profit

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sagebrush posted:

The OLED in the current version, while gorgeous at night and on overcast days, is not suitable for full-sun usage

Is that just an issue because it is pretty much in the open on a motorcycle? In your opinion would this still be an issue on a car as a speedo/tach display sunk into a dash?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mostly the former. It's plenty readable in the day as long as the gauge is shaded -- I'd say that anywhere you can see a cell phone screen, you can read the OLED too. I do have a small hood over the screen on the bike to avoid direct overhead lighting, but whenever the sun hits it dead-on, it's just not capable of keeping up. You can still see the digits but they're faint and you have to squint and that's not acceptable, particularly on a bike. So yeah, motorcycle-specific issue.

It would probably be just fine sunk into a dash in a hardtop car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think any digital display is going to have problems if the sun is shining directly on it. I commute home with the sun at my back and there's a couple miles where I can't read anything on the instrument cluster because the sun is blowing it out, and this is a stock dashboard.

Chalk that up as a win for traditional mechanical gauges. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
An e-ink display would look cool as hell but I don't think there are many big ones out there that are homebrew-friendly (e.g. cheap).

I wonder if there's enough interest in a homebrew car electronics thread.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
So this is custom right???

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

StormDrain posted:

So this is custom right???

yup

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/barn-doors-xj-131956/#post2978452

That is cool as hell. there's a couple more pictures of that jeep in the thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

I think any digital display is going to have problems if the sun is shining directly on it. I commute home with the sun at my back and there's a couple miles where I can't read anything on the instrument cluster because the sun is blowing it out, and this is a stock dashboard.

Chalk that up as a win for traditional mechanical gauges. :v:

Only the transmissive LCDs are hard to read in the sun. Transflective displays (like a wristwatch or an old game boy) use reflected light and are perfectly readable on sunny days, and can use a backlight at night. Disadvantages are that they're monochrome, the refresh rate is kinda slow and the contrast isn't anywhere near as nice as OLED, but the better versions are pretty good.

It's getting harder to find monochrome anything, though, which is kind of a bummer because if you want a retro aesthetic the full-color transmissive ones just aren't as good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I humbly submit my RaspberryPi creation for a friend's crazy EV conversion project.

God drat don't stop I'm almost there

Sagebrush posted:

I submit my vaporwave instrument cluster for my '88 Hawk GT:

randy_marsh_I_came.jpg

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A car I never knew existed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn0-bOkndtY

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16133/lot/344/?category=list

:fap:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

here is a screenshot of it in testing mode (dont mind the numbers here: they dont make sense)

I plan on doing this with my personal project car (the 72 LTD with the big loud engine and hood scoop/shaker). Different aesthetic of course but the sky is the limit.

Oh god, is there a link to the source code / schematics / etc somewhere? I could totally see rocking that on one of my street RX-7s.

Ugh, dammit, is there a "custom dash hacking" thread?

jamal posted:

Both of those come up short if you want to log a whole bunch of stuff but they seem to be about the best priced commercial, ready to go options. The iq3sl is still like $1400 though.

Can I just say that I kind of hate where I'm at in terms of desired logging channels? :shepicide:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's rad! and thanks! I'll post more details about the dash in the raspberry pi thread; but in short I'm just stuffing everything into it; GPS, logging, phone app connectivity, etc. ALL THE THINGS type of thing. It was also a chance to flex my dumb lizard brain design muscles. It was a blast and honestly honored people like it too.

My 72 LTD is a ratty muscle car project that I also want to do all the things too. Mostly because it is my fun toy but it is also an excuse to learn new things. Here are some shots of her;

1972 Ford LTD Brougham. 2-door hardtop (vinyl long gone, someone before me replaced it with rhino lining lol). I rebuilt the engine myself from a 429 to a 466. New exhaust, headers, etc etc. Limited slip in the back now as well. I want to start making the inside nice again along with modern tech like cameras, etc. Hench the dash project!

Though for the dash on that, I want to match the aesthetic as well and a longer screen. Should be neat.

edit: (sorry didnt mean to hiject this with personal ride bs!)

Hijack all you want. Your car qualifies. (but make a thread!)

Sagebrush posted:

i felt a tingle in my dingle

It looks like we're posting our retrofuturistic dashboards? That Teslonda one is great. I submit my vaporwave instrument cluster for my '88 Hawk GT:

https://my.mixtape.moe/gnkbsp.mp4

This is still version 1.0 (there have been some changes to the graphics and stuff since I shot that video). It does work, and I've been riding with it for a few months now with only like two glitches the whole time, but it's not feature-complete and I've discovered a bunch of things I need to change. Pretty fun project though and I adore the look of it at night. OLED is gorgeous. Unfortunately it's not readable enough in full sun, so I'm examining a couple of different monochrome RGB TFTs to split the difference.

re. using these things on old cars -- the most advanced electronic device on the bike (other than the instruments now, natch) is the silicon rectifier. The instruments read the wheel speed through a 3D-printed adapter that takes the existing speedometer drive cable and revolves a magnet in front of a hall effect sensor. RPM comes from extensively filtering and measuring the ignition coil pulses from the front cylinder. Engine temperature uses the existing thermostat and the signal is so hilariously noisy that I think I do something like 200 samples for each data point before putting it into a moving window average. The main processor is a miniature Arduino-compatible ARM board with enough power to handle all the math, drive the screen at ~20fps, and drive the tach LEDs at like 100hz with zero lag which is loving awesome because I loathe laggy displays more than almost anything else.

I really need to put together a full documentation of the project on my blog but like, i just wanna ride, maaaan

Unf. Yeah, this is the direction I'm talking about. I'm all about cool graphics, so I'd like to start with the TFTs and some supercar-style gauge layouts. Monochrome digital stuff is neat where appropriate, but I'm trying for a little more modern, in this case.
That said, I love the gridline horizon all day, every day, and the "Hawk" splash screen... :love: :swoon:

This also reminds me that I *need* a 3D printer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every time I look up getting a 3d printer I get sticker shock and close the tabs and try to forget about that pipe dream.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

Every time I look up getting a 3d printer I get sticker shock and close the tabs and try to forget about that pipe dream.

I don't find $400 for the Monoprice Select Plus to be bad at all. It's a Chines Prusa i3 clone, but supported and improved by Monoprice. Seems to be considered among the best budget 3D printers.
If you want to get started small, the Select Mini is $220. There was an eBay deal that knocked it below $200 earlier in the week.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hear good things about the Creality CR-10. The print volume opens up a lot of possibilities that other printers don't have.
That cupholder I made for the 911?: https://i.imgur.com/EvJEM5n.jpg
Had to print it into two pieces and glue together cuz the base was so large. Would have been so much easier modeling in one piece.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My Rostock (RIP: sold a few weeks ago) could print an 11 inch diameter, 14-inch tall cylinder.

However, I used the height for maybe two prints in the three years I owned it. The Creality or the Monoprice V2 may be more my style in the future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess it's been a while since I looked because I remember everything being way more expensive.

Plus when browsing around I fall into the trap of "I need a giant build area!!"

The select mini seems to have issues where it starts out cheap then you have to start modding it to keep it in good shape.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Just throwing this out there but for 80s futurewave, what about graphic VFD displays? Like http://www.noritake-itron.com/NewWeb/GVFD/Overview/Overview.asp

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mekilljoydammit posted:

Just throwing this out there but for 80s futurewave, what about graphic VFD displays? Like http://www.noritake-itron.com/NewWeb/GVFD/Overview/Overview.asp

Fully sick :awesomelon:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

Guess it's been a while since I looked because I remember everything being way more expensive.

Plus when browsing around I fall into the trap of "I need a giant build area!!"

The select mini seems to have issues where it starts out cheap then you have to start modding it to keep it in good shape.

If you don't already know, there is a 3D printer thread here

mekilljoydammit posted:

Oh, man I wonder how much those cost?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Darchangel posted:

If you don't already know, there is a 3D printer thread here

The OP is from 2010 -- what's a good jumping in point to start catching up?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
They're expensive.
https://www.ebay.com/i/152841035591?chn=ps&dispItem=1 $400+45 shipping.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

gently caress if I know. I’m like 5 months behind myself, and just sort of jumped in to about a month prior when I started reading it, after I read the OP and relevant follow ups.

Ouch. What price coolness?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mekilljoydammit posted:

Utterly gorgeous, with an instant response rate and good sunlight readability. So the trade-off is that those displays are gonna be super expensive. (e: yeah, beaten, but there you go. Ten times what my OLED cost)

You can also get these stunning orange plasma displays that are like the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. They still make them as spare parts for one particular use: some kind of MFD on the AH-64 Apache. A 6-inch display (no driver circuitry) is like $1800 used :v:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeesh, digikey has them for less than *that*. Still pricey though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kimbo305 posted:

I don't have a printer but dove in to that thread some months back just to read and learn. I started from recent posts and have just kept up with it since I'm not in a rush to soak up everything. Still a lot of it doesn't make sense but I'm picking up bits and pieces. Dunno what your end game is, though. Mine is first decide if I want a printer then get an idea of which ones people have and like, and which would suit me best. Which sounds like the Prusa MK3 since it's more expensive but the easy button of printers that just works. Though it may not print the biggest big stuff, which may change my mind even though I have nothing in mind to print in the first place. :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I have a MK2S; just want to keep up to date.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don’t have a printer, yet, either, and am soaking up info much like Larrymer.
I’d really like a Prusa, but budget says I’ll probably get the Monoprice. I also have a couple of need friends who have printers I can bother for help. One just built his own using a pile of parts and aluminum strut. He wanted it *rigid*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

Utterly gorgeous, with an instant response rate and good sunlight readability. So the trade-off is that those displays are gonna be super expensive. (e: yeah, beaten, but there you go. Ten times what my OLED cost)

You can also get these stunning orange plasma displays that are like the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. They still make them as spare parts for one particular use: some kind of MFD on the AH-64 Apache. A 6-inch display (no driver circuitry) is like $1800 used :v:

... do you have a part number on the second of those?

And yeah, VFDs are expensive but for some uses... I mean drat the commercial digital dashes are all over a grand, what's an extra hundred or so for a really pretty display?