Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/JnoCIUI.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

AP posted:

I don't think you've been able to copy an account to the PTU for ages, I know I tried months ago when I wondered if there was a PTU issue council.

So. 2.6.2e now huh.

I mean they are "asking" for testers, people respond back with "get a delta patcher". They've been doing this exact same back and forth for the last year now. loving come on.
(I know the real answer is they don't give a poo poo to fix the patcher)

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

necroid posted:

this thread is good for the occasional laugh at SC but it's also filled with idiots that don't realize how similar they are to SC redditors in their obsession, I don't see why I can't laugh at both.

Even spelled out so clearly yet no one in the thread gets this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

necroid posted:

this thread is good for the occasional laugh at SC but it's also filled with idiots that don't realize how similar they are to SC redditors in their obsession, I don't see why I can't laugh at both.

saying that artists and programmers shouldn't be targeted by spergs doesn't prevent me from stating that the thumbman is in fact scamming his backers.

Yeah, I wonder about myself being 'obsessed', but I'm really not. I threw in some money for Chris Roberts to make another Wing Commander game, then watched this whole thing developing from the viewpoint of someone who actually works in fairly deep geek territory. There's a _bit_ of false equivalency in stating that the other side is 'just as bad', as we don't have ANY profit motive at all.

Like literally none. Even Derek appears to be doing this because it's fun rather than having a dog in the fight, but I say troll away. I just keep an eye on Fuzzy Modem because gently caress that guy and stick with the thread because Jesus, do we have some history.

well HECK Phil posted:

That is reassuring to hear. Yes I have no experience in the game development world.

I'm commercial. My biggest problems at the moment are that the intelligence agencies of the world want to gently caress my poo poo up for their personal gain; no loving hyperbole. I'm waiting on the first deluge of loving patches now everyone has gone paranoid again, and I'm about the blow a loving gasket on having individual states having their own privacy rules. it makes my complicated life more complicated, so instead I post on forums about games. Procrastination for the win.

I know people in the gaming industry in both the UK and US, and they're relatively small pools of talent, so on the one hand you won't get a huge amount of whistleblowing because it _can_ effect your chances of employment, and you don't want to burn any bridges. Likewise, seeing something fun on a resume can actually help if you have some funny stories.

Star Citizen isn't going to explode like the OJ trial, it's going to fizzle out. It's going to supply so many funny stories in the future...Like 22cans.

Madcosby posted:

I know, there you are, like an island of rationality, beating your fists against the glass.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm not obsessed but I do cry-masturbate like that one scene in mulholland drive whenever I read about star citizen

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
2 yrs today, before my 1st 07/15 blog that started a revolution, Chris Baker wrote this article for Wired

Fans Have Dropped $77M on This Guy’s Buggy, Half-Built Game

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

boviscopophobic posted:

I mean that the total playtime aggregated over all players on the leaderboard was about 2149 hours, accumulated over a reporting period of about 178 hours, which works out to an average of 12,065 concurrent players using a comma decimal separator, European-style.

So... 12 concurrent players then. Wow

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Madcosby posted:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Madcosby posted:

I've found a way to not only laugh at the people obsessed with Star Citizen but the people who are obsessed with laughing at the people who are obsessed with Star Citizen. Now you may think it ends there but within the past year or so I've also begun to laugh at the people who come into this thread and are obsessed with telling the people who are obsessed with laughing at the obsessed Star Citizens that they're wrong/creepy/hypocritical/obsessed.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

I've found a way to not only laugh at the people obsessed with Star Citizen but the people who are obsessed with laughing at the people who are obsessed with Star Citizen. Now you may think it ends there but within the past year or so I've also begun to laugh at the people who come into this thread and are obsessed with telling the people who are obsessed with laughing at the obsessed Star Citizens that they're wrong/creepy/hypocritical/obsessed.
You see I've reached the highest echelon of laughter where I'm morally right but also laughing at everyone else.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

So... 12 concurrent players then. Wow

At least that solves the netcode problem.

thatguy posted:

You see I've reached the highest echelon of laughter where I'm morally right but also laughing at everyone else.

You're thatguy.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

before my 1st 07/15 blog that started a revolution

Hav posted:

Even Derek appears to be doing this because it's fun

:lol:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

boviscopophobic posted:

Average player count in Star Marine last week: 12,065

I feel very European today.

:same:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I know, irony bonus. I bring it on myself.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

thatguy posted:

I laugh at you though

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The blog heard around the world

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Using , as . hurts my brain every time. Death to the beancounters!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

thatguy posted:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I laugh at you though
This makes me angry and from now on I will follow you around and remind you how obsessed you are with me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well, at least I accomplished one thing today. I was able to copy my account over to the PTU. Whew, time to crack open a beer with that one.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hey SC thread pals, long time no read.

Are there any funny CIG videos or streams worth watching that came out this year? They're like catnip for me and my girlfriend.

Rob Bless

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Quavers posted:

LogicSol being... well... LogicSol...

TIL that just because movie ads put dates on them in no way implies a release date, it's just a meaningless assortment of words and numbers :ironicat:

godfuckingdamn logic sol is an imbecile

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/62m2en/should_nasa_use_cigs_speed_system_instead_of_kmh/

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

:negative:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm glad that CIG invented counting time vs distance in smaller increments. What would we do without Chris's genius?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

why stop there? Why don't municipal governments the world over consult Chris Roberts on whether or not posted speed limits should be converted to m/s

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
In the Year of our Lord 2012, Chris Roberts invented the measure of "meters" per "second",

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes. Ask Illfonic what they think of CIG's measurements.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

I mean they are "asking" for testers, people respond back with "get a delta patcher". They've been doing this exact same back and forth for the last year now. loving come on.
(I know the real answer is they don't give a poo poo to fix the patcher)

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4538112/#Comment_4538112

2 years ago.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes. Ask Illfonic what they think of CIG's measurements.

:boom:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also objects that travel in real space move at speeds like 16,000 - 18,850 meters per second which is like Star Citizen ship speeds times 100.

I'm sure if NASA was puttering around it's probes at the speed of world war 2 prop airplanes then inches per fortnight or whatever would be perfectly fine.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

I'm not obsessed but I do cry-masturbate like that one scene in mulholland drive whenever I read about star citizen

:same:

edit: silencio

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 31, 2017

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

D_Smart posted:

2 yrs today, before my 1st 07/15 blog that started a revolution, Chris Baker wrote this article for Wired

Fans Have Dropped $77M on This Guy’s Buggy, Half-Built Game

So now 2 years later they have 2 times the money and only 2% of the game is built. I'm not sure how this math works.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

hot balls man no homo posted:

So now 2 years later they have 2 times the money and only 2% of the game is built. I'm not sure how this math works.

100 years later they'll have 100 times the money and then 100% of the game will be built

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

I mean that the total playtime aggregated over all players on the leaderboard was about 2149 hours, accumulated over a reporting period of about 178 hours, which works out to an average of 12,065 concurrent players using a comma decimal separator, European-style.

The equivalent numbers are 23.6 concurrent players for Arena Commando (all modes combined), and 2.0 concurrent players for Murray Cup :laugh:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

We are releasing 2.6.2 today or over the weekend. We need a wider base for testing and will fix bugs as they pop up over the next few weeks.

quote:

Expect the 3.0 schedule after an announcement from Chris.

quote:

No timetable for it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Space Crabs posted:

Also objects that travel in real space move at speeds like 16,000 - 18,850 meters per second which is like Star Citizen ship speeds times 100.

I'm sure if NASA was puttering around it's probes at the speed of world war 2 prop airplanes then inches per fortnight or whatever would be perfectly fine.

I remember a chat in the discord about SC ship speeds and it turns out they don't even get to WW2 speeds. Fastest one was about on par with a Sopwith Camel, iirc. Fidelity!

CIG has changed the flight model a half dozen times since then but I doubt the ships have gotten faster

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The custom controller didn't cost us anything. We were actually paid to consult on the design.
lol sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

boviscopophobic posted:

The equivalent numbers are 23.6 concurrent players for Arena Commando (all modes combined), and 2.0 concurrent players for Murray Cup :laugh:
It's so weird to me that the streamers can pull like 100+ viewers and there are 4 times less people actually playing the game.