Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I liked the latest Cloudkicker album. I was gonna ask how the hell he performs live, but then I read that blog post. That schedule looks really loving intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iTeapot posted:

If you haven't heard them before, I highly recommend checking out Tauk. They do jazzy post-rock really, really well.

Thanks for the suggestion, I enjoyed it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does anyone know where to find a higher quality version of this (archive.org maybe?) or even what show it's from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_RcCOvhF0

(It's Low with GY!BE doing "Do You Know How To Waltz?" In a way, the poor sound quality actually makes it awesome, but still.)

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

precision posted:

Does anyone know where to find a higher quality version of this (archive.org maybe?) or even what show it's from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_RcCOvhF0

(It's Low with GY!BE doing "Do You Know How To Waltz?" In a way, the poor sound quality actually makes it awesome, but still.)

I think this is from a show played October 10th, 1998, in Chicago at a venue called Scuba's. I found an archive.org listing for GY!BE's set of that night but it doesn't include the specific song you're looking for as that was the last song of Low's set.

https://archive.org/details/gybe1998-10-10

I've been trying to google around but I haven't had any luck finding a better quality version of it, sorry.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 17, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

July 12th in Osaka, Japan.

Do you hear that? That's the sound of thousands of post-rock fans weeping because they won't be able to attend this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do you hear that? That's the sound of thousands of post-rock fans weeping because they won't be able to attend this show.

:stare:

drat, that would be amazing. Jesu is incredibly heavy live, and with Russian Circles in the mix too... man.

Things like that make me wish Terrastock would come back. RIP, Best Music Festival. :(

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Pretty sure I can hook you up with that Low / GYBE song. Let me see when I get home.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Glasgow Coma Scale

This is pretty awesome, excellent first (I think) album.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ICHIBAHN posted:

Pretty sure I can hook you up with that Low / GYBE song. Let me see when I get home.

whenever I dl a GYBE discography, DO You Know How To Waltz is always in there. Have a look on torrent sites. If no joy, I'll upload.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
In unrelated news, is anyone going to Nice Weather For Airstrikes in Brighton this may? It's free!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mono posted this one on their Facebook earlier today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PRXZ4UTodw

Pure As Snow live in Bangkok from a few years ago. This will always be one of my favorites of theirs and I'm so glad I got to see it live for myself.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

The first time I ever saw Mono I was there for the support — who was Jesu. I'd never heard Mono before; I think Jesu had just released Lifeline. I went on my own, and it remains one of the standout gigs of my life.

That line up looks too good to be real... holy poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You know how Mogwai has this trend of releasing bonus tracks with certain editions of their albums and the bonus tracks end up being better than some of the tracks that made it on the album? Looks like the same is true with Rave Tapes, except with these bonus tracks, I like them more than pretty much every song that made it on the album.

Bad Magician 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbKO43N46o
Die 1 Dislike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9rAbjCT8l0

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

You know how Mogwai has this trend of releasing bonus tracks with certain editions of their albums and the bonus tracks end up being better than some of the tracks that made it on the album? Looks like the same is true with Rave Tapes, except with these bonus tracks, I like them more than pretty much every song that made it on the album.

I hate it so much when bands release different bonus tracks with different editions of albums, like when the Decemberists had like four different Crane Wifes.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

To be fair to Mogwai, at least they included the vinyl-only tracks with the MP3 download that came with the box set. What I can't stand is when bands put bonus tracks only on vinyl, so I can't have a clean digital copy. I think Sigur Rós did it with Kveikur recently.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Run Dodo Run posted:

To be fair to Mogwai, at least they included the vinyl-only tracks with the MP3 download that came with the box set. What I can't stand is when bands put bonus tracks only on vinyl, so I can't have a clean digital copy. I think Sigur Rós did it with Kveikur recently.

What did they release with Kveikur?

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Any idea how to obtain them (legally)? They're not on iTunes.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

What did they release with Kveikur?

My copy came with a bonus 10" with a few tracks (Hryggjarsúla, Ofbirta and the Blanck Mass remix of Brennisteinn) but I've found out that the former two are also on the Brennisteinn EP, which is available digitally. I don't know if you can get the remix from anywhere, though, but there is a rip on youtube I think.

polynominal-c posted:

They were exclusive to the boxset, unfortunately. There's another one called Tell Everybody That I Love Them too.

Run Dodo Run fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 24, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

polynominal-c posted:

They came in the vinyl box set which appears to be out of print now. You can find it on eBay but it appears to be stupid expensive.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Gotta leave something for the rarities/unreleased singles compilation.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Gotta leave something for the rarities/unreleased singles compilation.

That's one thing I really like about 65dos, regularly released b-sides and rarities compilations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cymbal Monkey posted:

That's one thing I really like about 65dos, regularly released b-sides and rarities compilations.

And they're some of their best work, too. Unreleased/Unreleasable is fantastic.

Not post-rock, but there are still some Sonic Youth songs that have never had a digital release. Japanese bands do that crap too. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know if this has already been posted in this thread but I was just watching it and it's fascinating to me:

Sigur Ros Rig Rundown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbgnG2mAWWw

Jonsi uses NO DELAY and he doesn't like his guitar techs to clean his guitars or change the strings unless it's absolutely necessary.

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat
Came out of lurking to see if anyone had mentioned the new Woods of Desolation album and I can't find anything.

I can't recommend it enough... for lovers of atmospheric black metal with amazing melodies and post-rock influences. The cover art says it all!

STREAMING HERE:

https://woodsofdesolation.bandcamp.com/

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I don't know if this has already been posted in this thread but I was just watching it and it's fascinating to me:

Sigur Ros Rig Rundown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbgnG2mAWWw

Jonsi uses NO DELAY and he doesn't like his guitar techs to clean his guitars or change the strings unless it's absolutely necessary.

Yeah but he uses a reverb.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

baby duck hat posted:

Came out of lurking to see if anyone had mentioned the new Woods of Desolation album and I can't find anything.

I can't recommend it enough... for lovers of atmospheric black metal with amazing melodies and post-rock influences. The cover art says it all!

STREAMING HERE:

I like this a lot, thank you!`

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Dunk!festival's line up is looking pretty good drat ridiculous, if only I had the money/passport/health to go! I'll have to settle for ArcTanGent which is also looking pretty good already (LITE hell yeah!)

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat

thehustler posted:

I like this a lot, thank you!`

Glad someone here likes it. :)

If anyone can recommend me other bands doing similar stuff, I would like to hear it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
seen ASMZ last night
amazing
played the whole of the new album, leaving the short, soft Little Ones Run as an encore. Lovely stuff. 2 non gently caress Off songs, 'piphany Rambler (which was amazing, never considered it that good a song but it was class), and a new one The Kings Are All Dead (I think it's called) which was excellent. Talked A LITTLE between songs but waffling was minimal. amazing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
In Glasgow? I was there too, pretty awesome set although somehow I was less impressed than last time I saw them. The crowd seemed into it and the performance was good so I'm not sure if it was the material or I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

baby duck hat posted:

STREAMING HERE:

Also this is great, thanks.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Bagpuss posted:

Dunk!festival's line up is looking pretty good drat ridiculous, if only I had the money/passport/health to go! I'll have to settle for ArcTanGent which is also looking pretty good already (LITE hell yeah!)

I'm going to make a serious attempt to go to Dunk this year, any other goons keen?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

big scary monsters posted:

In Glasgow? I was there too, pretty awesome set although somehow I was less impressed than last time I saw them. The crowd seemed into it and the performance was good so I'm not sure if it was the material or I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.

yUP. Missed them last time (gutted) but they were unreal last night

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
http://tidesofman.bandcamp.com/

Instrumental proggy post-rock, every song has its own unique feel. Really digging it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBSyFVwydMI

I really like The Egocentrics. Kind of a jazzy, space-rocky, psychedelic instrumental group, so I imagine it'd appeal to a lot of people here.

poo poo, may as well throw in Earthless while I'm at it. Somewhat sludgy at times, but I am a sucker for stoner metal and the like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A1sq6zQ3G4

I'm sure many of you are familiar with both groups.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Marriages are back in the studio! Can't loving wait. Kitsune was easily my favourite album of 2012, can't wait to see what Emma Ruth Rundle and Greg Burns do this time.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I've been listening through the artists at Fluttery Records this week. I clicked through to their site from some random band and I really like most of their stuff. My personal favorite is We Held Our Breaths Until Our Hearts Exploded, it's a new duo that does some really great electronic influenced stuff, not entirely unlike 65dos.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Marriages are back in the studio! Can't loving wait. Kitsune was easily my favourite album of 2012, can't wait to see what Emma Ruth Rundle and Greg Burns do this time.

Aww yeah.

zxqv8 posted:

poo poo, may as well throw in Earthless while I'm at it. Somewhat sludgy at times, but I am a sucker for stoner metal and the like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A1sq6zQ3G4

I'm sure many of you are familiar with both groups.

Not at all! Thanks for sharing this. You might like The Whirlings if you haven't heard them already.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 5, 2014

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

chunkles posted:

Not at all! Thanks for sharing this. You might like The Whirlings if you haven't heard them already.

This is a pro-click. And that selection gave me another nice suggestion after I finished listening to it:

Drone Hunter

I like this band a lot, but why are all these groups from loving eastern Europe? I'll never see any of em!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Guys! Look! I can't even handle it! We have a side project of Grails and Slint!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Guys! Look! I can't even handle it! We have a side project of Grails and Slint!

This is pretty great but I still would love more stuff that sounds like The For Carnation did on that self-titled album they dropped before unceremoniously ceasing to exist. That's still one of my favorite post-rock things ever (along with, coincidentally enough, Papa M's Live From a Shark Cage).