Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Council's printing money at a rate to put Venezuela to shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's a marker of some sort there, but yeah, unless you stand in front of him you wont trigger the prompt.
The marker is inside the Engel's head, as far as I can tell. I never figured out how to trigger this when I was playing, but I climbed all over the Engels looking for what to do with the map marker.

Dabir posted:

You can lock on to Engels and exploring around his head should bring up the indicator that there's something there.
Oh, there's my mistake, I never tried locking onto random chunks of scenery! :shepface:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It knows about human years and calendar months.

Huh.

Well, rock on, Caesar Augustus. Still got your name inside history ten+ millennia later.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I feel this is relevant to the current conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjuQRCG_sUw

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I did not even know this sidequest existed :stare:

I knew there was something special about that drat Engels unit because it has a special marker on the map but I spent the better part of 20 minutes leaping around it at trying to get it to do something, to no avail.

Id, can you clarify? Is it seriously just hopping up on that free and waiting for the conversation to trigger?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I knew there was something special about that drat Engels unit because it has a special marker on the map but I spent the better part of 20 minutes leaping around it at trying to get it to do something, to no avail.

Id, can you clarify? Is it seriously just hopping up on that free and waiting for the conversation to trigger?

IIRC you go near that debris and the lock-on circle will move to the robot's head. Get closer and you can "talk" to start the quest. I think

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SirPhoebos posted:

I feel this is relevant to the current conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjuQRCG_sUw

I prefer this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-iFOEOgIM

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Now I wonder if it would be bored walking for a really long time to get somewhere, or if having a task to do cancels out the cause.

The Dark Id posted:

Never a good sing when a quest ends in a numeral.

It’s north of the Jackass’s Desert Camp.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Someone has posted Less Wrong unironically. It's true what they told me about only reading the updates of TDI threads

I'm sorry that I hurt you so much by linking to a goofy post about a bad philosophical thought experiment.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

U-DO Burger posted:

IIRC you go near that debris and the lock-on circle will move to the robot's head. Get closer and you can "talk" to start the quest. I think

yeah you just get on that bit of ruined building and there will be a dialogue prompt, same as if you were talking to another npc

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Qrr posted:

I'm sorry that I hurt you so much by linking to a goofy post about a bad philosophical thought experiment.

You may also enjoy

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
...crap, sidequests without markers.

WELP, guess that's what a guide/this lp are for.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
If one thing's good about this heat wave in New England, it's that we have a new update from TDI.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

You need to hop on that piece of rock or around it to trigger that quest. Full stop. Like I'm taking video of all this... I'm pretty sure of most triggers and music cues. Like that Jackass quest has THIS CANNOT CONTINUE! No, fucker. I had the right thing then... I have literally 20 minutes of footage if you need further proof. I might do some typos but the bulletin points of everything? Naw, dog. I've studied that and it's right!

Edit: I know the details -

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 19, 2017

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yep, completely missed that sidequest. Even saw the targeting thing for the head of the Engels and figured it was for another playthrough or a bug or something. Just never once set foot on the actual rock. :downs:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I found that quest pretty easily and I blame a childhood of playing Ocarina of Time. When I see a giant head staring at a podium-like piece of terrain, I'm trained to stand on it and press A to talk.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Hmm, the OP is kind of amusing if nitpicky, but the posts by other people in that thread are atrocious. Hyphenated names as a fringe liberal thing? Adorable.

More relevantly:
I found the quest pretty easily, but I think it's because it's very near the quest marker for speed star so when I was trying to find that one I triggered it. I'm surprised that the quest doesn't have a map marker, because I believe all of the other ones do, including a couple that would be very hard to find without it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's an interesting interaction ID missed in that sidequest. On the second step, if you don't already have the item you need 0/1 of, which is possible but not especially likely too, there's a call with some chat with the Operator if you interact with Engels again.

I'm being vague to not ruin it and totally not because I don't remember the specifics

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 19, 2017

silentbrains
Mar 18, 2009
I remember walking all over the Engels trying to get to that npc dot. I think I even no-clipped into it at one point. That's embarrassing to remember, haha.

The Libet experiments are some over-hyped crypto-dualist nonsense. Read Alfred Mele, nerd.

Whoops, did not know, will read. Thanks!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love the Automataverse's cartoonishly high death counts btw. Even the play had stuff like someone using an attack with a text that went something like "20,000 enemies were destroyed"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zereth posted:

The marker is inside the Engel's head, as far as I can tell. I never figured out how to trigger this when I was playing, but I climbed all over the Engels looking for what to do with the map marker.

Oh, there's my mistake, I never tried locking onto random chunks of scenery! :shepface:

:same:

I had figured something was either glitched out and clipping through the bot, or there was going to be some way to open him up later. Welp!

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Nina posted:

I love the Automataverse's cartoonishly high death counts btw. Even the play had stuff like someone using an attack with a text that went something like "20,000 enemies were destroyed"

To be fair, Engels's records only mentions individuals killed. We saw how slowly stubbies move, we saw how large Engels's feet are, you know there's some FF.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

grancheater posted:

To be fair, Engels's records only mentions individuals killed. We saw how slowly stubbies move, we saw how large Engels's feet are, you know there's some FF.

Proposal: Just put the stubbies on Engels until they need to be deployed. Risk of friendly fire lessened and proto-Party Tank made this way. :3:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

Edit: I know the details -

I sincerely hope this image is from the game.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Someone already got to this, but I couldn't resist the simpler change:

...or maybe just

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Andyzero posted:

The most disquieting robot series I've ever read is the Not Quite Human books by Seth McEvoy. They're about a robot named Chip whose scientist creator is sending him to school to see if he can learn how to be human.

Pretty cliché, yes. But the scary thing is Chip DOES NOT HAVE EMOTIONS. And this is scary in a subtle way, because it never becomes horror. I didn't even realize this until rereading the books. He follows his programming to try and emulate humans, he measures responses, behaves in ways they seem to approve. Sometimes makes mistakes; but it's always stated that he only thinks about whether his programming "pretend to be a human" is successful or not.

And we see his scientist creator and said creator's daughter treat him like family, and people at school do. But we, the audience, see his thinking, and he never considers them that except "that's what my programming says they should be called". So by the end of the series, he's good at acting like human, but inside, he's still the same, still ONLY interested in following his programming.

im permabanned poster humanstomper58. i first started going to school when i

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
9S's constant insistence that machines don't have sapience is pretty obviously self-serving bullshit. He's not even consistent about it up to this point - he'll claim machines have no sapience but then he treats Pascal like an individual with thoughts and feelings.

I like how the game doesn't even pretend to make it some big twist. It's always about not the reality of machine personhood, but the validity of individual actions.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Eh, this emotions y/n crap is overrated. We humans kill other humans even when we know that they have emotions. The real question is whether the machines are legit hostile. I think wiping out the ones that are continuing the alien struggle is legit.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Is it a war crime to kill 'em all if they're not a signatory of the Geneva Convention? I don't know much about war crimes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Probably not.

I'm pretty sure shwacking Adam and stEve isn't. In fact, you should get a space UN medal for that.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jetrauben posted:

9S's constant insistence that machines don't have sapience is pretty obviously self-serving bullshit.

The game's made it pretty clear up to this point the only person he's fooling with that drivel is himself, and even that's starting to crumble.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
9S: Hey, let's fix this robot to find out stuff!
2B: Do we have to?

:later:

9S: ...well, I suppose we could find out more, but it would be boring.
2B: We should find out as much as we can, for science.

2B only cares that 9S is NOT enjoying himself.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Andyzero posted:

9S: Hey, let's fix this robot to find out stuff!
2B: Do we have to?

:later:

9S: ...well, I suppose we could find out more, but it would be boring.
2B: We should find out as much as we can, for science.

2B only cares that 9S is NOT enjoying himself.

I can respect 2B's dedication to the art of subtly trolling your co-workers

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Is it a war crime to kill 'em all if they're not a signatory of the Geneva Convention? I don't know much about war crimes.

Yes, but I feel like there would be a hell of a lot of lee-way given that they aren't technically human.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question: is the resistance the survivors of previous android wave tactics holed up? That's what they seem like.

Alright, wild speculation time.

First off, drat androids are pissing me off. Are machines sentient? No they ain't, despite numerous evidence you have in your face. The fact that the elite androids seems to be that dense, PLUS we have them malfunctioning already.

1) 2b's companion in the intro who went awol.
2) The three yorha renegades that get decommisioned.
3) The odd relationships the androids are creating. They're the newest brand but already they got love triangles going on? Poor performance.

In addition you have the machines. Originally they couldn't think, but now we have evidence of growing understanding. Mind you, robo orgies, clown parties, corpse jewelry and flag waving societies are strange as gently caress. But they are approximations of bizarre (from a machine perspective) human culture. We do these things, machines are just doing their best to mimic. They are getting better, while brand new yorha tech is having a lot of bizarre software glitches, considering "no emotions is a ground rule"

"The new robots are faster, stronger, sexier and emotionless!"

"Uhhh sir a number of the robots are now having sex with each other."

"File it as a feature, time for some cocaine!"

So possible outcomes

1) Obvious one, humans are machines for some reason, slowly becoming human again. That's just a retread of Nier though. But first thought if you had never played the game.
2) Humans are dead. Been dead a long time. It is just software and software clashing over 5 millennial and now slowly breaking down.
3) Humans are fuckers. Engels first communication was that humans built human. Maybe humans have been building machines all along and pitting the androids against each other as some hosed up hunger games. Top grade entertainment for moon humans. God's must be crazy.
4) Humans abandoned earth to go to the stars. They will come back when things unfuck themselves. Plot of Wall E and we have a tasty plot meal.

Overall I look forward to see what happens next because I am coming up with new theories every single update.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yes, but I feel like there would be a hell of a lot of lee-way given that they aren't technically human.

Well, depends on what we could recognize as people (are androids people?). If, say, androids are people, it might be unlawful to use them in war. Maybe you could even argue that they're child soldiers.

It's reminds of an old joke:

Russians made a smart bomb! It was a failure: it refused to fall out of plane.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Donkringel posted:

Question: is the resistance the survivors of previous android wave tactics holed up? That's what they seem like.

Alright, wild speculation time.

First off, drat androids are pissing me off. Are machines sentient? No they ain't, despite numerous evidence you have in your face. The fact that the elite androids seems to be that dense, PLUS we have them malfunctioning already.

1) 2b's companion in the intro who went awol.
2) The three yorha renegades that get decommisioned.
3) The odd relationships the androids are creating. They're the newest brand but already they got love triangles going on? Poor performance.

In addition you have the machines. Originally they couldn't think, but now we have evidence of growing understanding. Mind you, robo orgies, clown parties, corpse jewelry and flag waving societies are strange as gently caress. But they are approximations of bizarre (from a machine perspective) human culture. We do these things, machines are just doing their best to mimic. They are getting better, while brand new yorha tech is having a lot of bizarre software glitches, considering "no emotions is a ground rule"

"The new robots are faster, stronger, sexier and emotionless!"

"Uhhh sir a number of the robots are now having sex with each other."

"File it as a feature, time for some cocaine!"

So possible outcomes

1) Obvious one, humans are machines for some reason, slowly becoming human again. That's just a retread of Nier though. But first thought if you had never played the game.
2) Humans are dead. Been dead a long time. It is just software and software clashing over 5 millennial and now slowly breaking down.
3) Humans are fuckers. Engels first communication was that humans built human. Maybe humans have been building machines all along and pitting the androids against each other as some hosed up hunger games. Top grade entertainment for moon humans. God's must be crazy.
4) Humans abandoned earth to go to the stars. They will come back when things unfuck themselves. Plot of Wall E and we have a tasty plot meal.

Overall I look forward to see what happens next because I am coming up with new theories every single update.

You said it yourself, this already happened in Nier. The androids and machines developed sentience and thus souls all on their own, over the course of thousands of years.

That's just a thing that happens when you let AI get too smart in this universe.

Wiser Guy
Mar 19, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

Never a good sing when a quest ends in a numeral...
This should be "sign"

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Donkringel posted:

First off, drat androids are pissing me off. Are machines sentient? No they ain't, despite numerous evidence you have in your face. The fact that the elite androids seems to be that dense

It's much easier to commit genocide for several thousand years when you keep telling yourself your enemies are unthinking robots and not like people. Both 2B and 9S seem pretty smart, so I'd say that it's less them being dense and more them desperately wanting to drink the kool-aid because the alternative is terrifying. Do we know how long either of them have been actively fighting? It wouldn't surprise me if 2B is old, because she seems to be pretty hardened to all of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I don't think there's ever been an actual activation date for 2B other than "fairly recently" relative to the 10000 year long Machine Wars.

• Locked thread