Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wheezle posted:

She doesn't have to talk to them so who cares!
lol, exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Infinitum posted:

Shout out to Gladys for deciding she doesn't want to appear at any more press conferences from next week, as she obviously has more important things to do.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The Great Berejiklian Declaration

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
WE did it NSW, covid is over

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/MattWordsworth/status/1436143399397048326

kirbysuperstar posted:

WE did it NSW, covid is over

Gladys is over, too. You can't pull a stunt like this when your approval rating is already in the toilet. Press is already savaging her on social media and the sharks will be circling in her own party.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
lol what possible reasoning is there for cancelling the daily updates

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

abigserve posted:

:effort:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

abigserve posted:

Normalisation

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

abigserve posted:

Especially when Parliament isn't currently sitting. It's a ploy to ensure communication is one way and that only the information they want to release is made public each day.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 10, 2021

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

abigserve posted:

Can't show how bad the daily cases are if there isn't a press conference

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

SuddenCactus posted:

Can't show how bad the daily cases are if there isn't a press conference

Health is still going to be releasing the numbers each day, but abolishing the press conference means awkward questions can't be asked. We're not going to know by the end of the weekend how the "no jab, no play" rules are going to be enforced, how spread to regional areas is going to be avoided over the next 5 weeks (a period which includes school holidays), or how well/badly Health is actually coping. If those questions get answered at all, it will be when NSW Gov deigns to answer them.

Ironically, this is the type of political behaviour most likely to lead to legitimate protests.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Lolie posted:

https://twitter.com/MattWordsworth/status/1436143399397048326

Gladys is over, too. You can't pull a stunt like this when your approval rating is already in the toilet. Press is already savaging her on social media and the sharks will be circling in her own party.
Especially after the masterstroke soundbite "daily press conferences mean I'm not doing my job".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Artificial Kid posted:

Especially after the masterstroke soundbite "daily press conferences mean I'm not doing my job".

lol what a self own

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Artificial Kid posted:

Good to see that on day...80? 90? of this outbreak gladys has decided to start doing her job then

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
If you're in NSW and are claiming the COVID JobSaver assistance you or your employer now needs to log in and confirm that you still have a 30%+ downturn to continue receiving the assistance. This came in to effect today.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

abigserve posted:

Facts make right wing politicians look bad.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Good to see that on day...80? 90? of this outbreak gladys has decided to start doing her job then

Must've been on jobkeeper.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The thing is, it was through the daily press conferences that DAndrews maintained his popularity. At the very least it put out the image that he was 'on our side', and was trying to help.

Gladys's daily pressers have led to her becoming more unpopular. And with this, it just looks like she, (and the entire LNP) , are running away.

She is turbo hosed. Lets not forget that she still has to deal with the ICAC rulings about her and her developer boyfriend.

She'll be spilled by the time of the next state election. Libs will still win though, coz NSW is a garbage place.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Clearly an attempt to make it seem like things are getting back to normal, which is utterly batshit while things are so clearly not normal for her population right now.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

dr_rat posted:

Nah graves are actually pretty expensive

graves are cheap, it's coffins that are pricy

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

I'm surprised Angus Taylor hasn't turned woodchippering the homeless into a form of carbon offset

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Maybe she's worried about fronting up to report an alarmingly skyrocketing death rate in the coming weeks and months?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

aejix posted:

I'm surprised Angus Taylor hasn't turned woodchippering the homeless into a form of carbon offset

the energy costs involved would make it impractical compared to just letting them starve.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Konomex posted:

Maybe she's worried about fronting up to report an alarmingly skyrocketing death rate in the coming weeks and months?

It's this. She's promised everyone that NSW can reopen soon and it will all be over. Having to acknowledge that things are getting worse before they get better is all too hard.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

WE did it covid, NSW is over

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

lol it's to avoid comparison with Dan. The very subtle not doing my job dig is :discourse:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

we didn't include a provision to force repayment of unnecessary jobkeeper because we thought that would mean less companies would apply.

Lmao how bout a similar arrangement for welfare then???

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Eediot Jedi posted:

we didn't include a provision to force repayment of unnecessary jobkeeper because we thought that would mean less companies would apply.

Lmao how bout a similar arrangement for welfare then???

Less people applying for welfare is the objective tho

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eediot Jedi posted:

lol it's to avoid comparison with Dan. The very subtle not doing my job dig is :discourse:

Eh not really. Andrews doesn't do every single one, but they still hold the conference and send out Weimar, CHO, etc with another politician.

Is she cancelling the presser or just not attending herself?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

thatbastardken posted:

No the plots cost thousands of bucks too

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cant believe dan shattered his spine just to get out of doing daily pressers

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Eh not really. Andrews doesn't do every single one, but they still hold the conference and send out Weimar, CHO, etc with another politician.

Is she cancelling the presser or just not attending herself?

They’re stopping altogether

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

thatbastardken posted:

Looking at the ratio of land/house prices over the last 40 years I can only assume this is no longer the case

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I assume she's bailed because giving out even vague information about all the upcoming deaths is just going to take hours and hours

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Looking at the ratio of land/house prices over the last 40 years I can only assume this is no longer the case

They ain’t making more graves

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm sort of sympathetic to ending the daily pressers - it was a precedent set by Dan for when numbers start to alarmingly skyrocket, but which no longer really serves a purpose once numbers either start to decline or when you've thrown your hands up and said "yeah we're just gonna vaccinate our way to a European-level new normal." But now, right before NSW starts to grant more freedoms and right before its hospital system truly gets hammered... now is the worst possible time to make that decision!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Especially when Parliament isn't currently sitting. It's a ploy to ensure communication is one way and that only the information they want to release is made public each day.

Yeah but:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/1436140502626156572

And as to why the Guardian live blog is fuming:

https://twitter.com/Mesut_Ausil/status/1436138376537595907

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

alf_pogs posted:

I assume she's bailed because giving out even vague information about all the upcoming deaths is just going to take hours and hours

It's just so tiring for her to come up with new ways of blaming the dead

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

CHRISTIAN DEMOCRAT FRED NILE DISENDORSES LYLE SHELTON

Fred Nile, the leader of the Christian Democrat Party and an NSW upper house MP has dis-endorsed Lyle Shelton as his successor.

Lyle Shelton, the former National Director of the Australian Christian Lobby had been anointed as successor to Nile by Nile himself and appointed to a campaign position within the party.

Eternity has been told that Shelton is “devastated” by the news. Shelton is not the only person whom Nile has promised that he would step down and allow them to take his place.

This is the latest turmoil to hit the Christian Democrat Party, still the subject of court cases brought by dissidents, and a receiver with the task of electing a new board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Lol. Eat poo poo Lyle.