Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

evilmiera posted:

The main problem with Discovery is that even though I stopped watching at the season break I have still managed to predict every big reveal so far since the episodes they introduced the mysteries. Why Lorca was a Bond villain, what was going to happen with the spore drive, what happened to Voq/what Ash's deal was and who the Emperor would be once that was brought up.

It is the writing. It is entirely predictable, stale and uninteresting, even when it brings up things that should be crazy cool. The actors are fine (some are even good), the effects are ok (though the lighting is bad) and I don't really care about the changes to how things or races look. I just can't be bothered to tune in when there's nothing to discover in the plot, pun intended. It is an ongoing story you already know the ending to.

im not entirely sure mikey can act worth a drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Smythe posted:

im not entirely sure mikey can act worth a drat

That's never been an obstacle for Trek

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

That's never been an obstacle for Trek

Which is why I said they were "fine". As in, Star Trek level, at least. They can at least keep from corpsing during most scenes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smythe posted:

ive been giving this a lot of thot and i think the VOY intro song is the best, and most evocative of the ideals of the federation.

Voyager definitely has the best opening.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Voyager definitely has the best opening.

You clearly have no faith of the heart.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Epicurius posted:

You clearly have no faith of the heart.

I can't really picture it. It's been a long road.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't really picture it. It's been a long road.

What gets me is that Enterprise had a perfectly serviceable instrumental in the ending "Archer's Theme", for all that it was reminiscent of "Somewhere Out There".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The opening was great visually, at least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Your can rank them, certainly, but there is no bad ST opening.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol that we got to see a freaky interspecies sex scene before a gay kiss

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jose posted:

Lol that we got to see a freaky interspecies sex scene before a gay kiss

And they're going out of their way to save the Whitest Klingon U'Know while Doctor Gayblack is just like "welp I'm a force shroom ghost now, luv u babe"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

The opening was great visually, at least.

Even Enterprise's mirror universe episode opening was great visually.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

McSpanky posted:

And they're going out of their way to save the Whitest Klingon U'Know while Doctor Gayblack is just like "welp I'm a force shroom ghost now, luv u babe"

You mean the middle eastern guy who's secretly a religious fanatic? Shazad Latif ain't white.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Every Star Trek series has had a great opening except Enterprise, and Enterprise gets a pass because of the visuals you can at least enjoy with the audio muted.

I'm keen to see how the Discovery intro goes given that I expect both the Klingon war and spore drive stuff to be wrapped up by the end of this season based on the most recent episode. It would be against convention to do it for a ship other than the Enterprise, but a tweaked version of the intro with a "These are the voyages..." voiceover would be lovely.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

You mean the middle eastern guy who's secretly a religious fanatic? Shazad Latif ain't white.

Oh yeah?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As much as I dislike Enterprise as a series for the most part (aside from some cool episodes) the intro was good. Yes, it veered wildly from the style of the other shows but it seemed to capture the feeling of exploration we were looking for and thought we would get as the show started. It perfectly showed off what was meant to be the point of the series, being humanity reaching for new horizons over the years and culminating in this new final frontier.

Then we get stuff like dogs peeing on holy ground and man-nipples and you wonder if the attention span of the people writing it is like 5 seconds after the intro ends.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

evilmiera posted:

As much as I dislike Enterprise as a series for the most part (aside from some cool episodes) the intro was good. Yes, it veered wildly from the style of the other shows but it seemed to capture the feeling of exploration we were looking for and thought we would get as the show started. It perfectly showed off what was meant to be the point of the series, being humanity reaching for new horizons over the years and culminating in this new final frontier.

Nobody complains about the visuals of the Enterprise intro.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Enterprise's intro would be better -- even with that song that was already really dated at the time it aired -- if the show itself had made an equally big stylistic departure from the franchise. (Aside from visually.) It was a good intro for the theoretical show about inexperienced space cowboys blazing a trail without even a Federation backing them up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astroman posted:

STO sounds like it's just full on :catdrugs: these days whwn it comes to plotting.

Beachcomber posted:

Who were they fighting?

First the tzenkethi (it's complicated), then the hur'q making their first STO appearance.

The Federation/Klingon/Romulan thing is pretty normal in STO at this point. By this time in the story, the Federation, Klingon Empire, and Romulan Republic (the Star Empire is gone) are closely allied. They all took a severe beating from the Iconian War and no longer have the strength to deal with major threats by themselves (plus Cryptic needs to account for the player being from any of the three), so pretty much every big mission involves all three working together and the Temporal Front story arc says that the Federation will be outright absorbing the Klingons and Romulans within the next century or so.

To elaborate, the plot of the current story arc has been that the Tzenkethi Coalition (often mentioned in TNG and DS9, never seen) has gone on the warpath, using protomatter (the stuff the Genesis Device was made from) bombs to destroy planetary biospheres. Thing is, they've been targeting the most random planets imaginable, and the F/K/R Alliance gets involved when the Tzenkethi target a planet inhabited by a new race that the Alliance is interested in befriending. The Tzenkethi claim they're doing this to save billions but refuse to explain why what they're doing is right or what precisely they're targeting, then say you're the assholes and get shooting. You eventually discover that at least two of these worlds have been home to strange crystal formations... that hatch into swarms of giant bugs. You team up with a friendly Tzenkethi captain at one point to purge the infestation on the ground, but the Coalition in general says they'll keep nuking poo poo and not tell the Alliance just what they're nuking or what these bug things are.

Current episode takes place on Bajor, which does not have crystal formations or bug swarms as far as anyone knows. The tzenkethi show up to attack, but the friendly tzenkethi captain and several other tzenkethi ships mutiny to help the Alliance. You beat down the bad tzenkethi, and it turns out those bug things were somehow caretakers for the hur'q, who have been slumbering beneath the surface of planets for thousands of years. Now the hur'q are waking up, and a fleet of them come for Bajor. The Federation, Klingons, Romulans, and traitor Tzenkethi all team up to save Bajor from the hur'q, but there's a lot of hur'q until a Dominion fleet exits the wormhole under the command of Odo to save the day. Odo cryptically claims that the Dominion has had unfortunate encounters with the hur'q themselves, and needs to speak with the Alliance's leadership. Roll curtains.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't usually like the limited confines of EU material but STO just goes so loving balls out batshit with it that I appreciate what they do. They're committed. I respect it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Smythe posted:

ive been giving this a lot of thot and i think the VOY intro song is the best, and most evocative of the ideals of the federation.

same

Smythe posted:

im like so into star trek rn for some reason holy gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not same

Parachute
May 18, 2003
they (sto) fuckin retconned species 8472 in to having a name which is as lame as revealing the name of the wiseguy character on the simpsons

edit: voyager has the best theme by far. also im not sure if thats a retcon just an unnecessary reveal

McSpanky posted:

I too would rather eat poo poo than go hungry

*tosses you your posting history* go nuts

Parachute fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 24, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't usually like the limited confines of EU material but STO just goes so loving balls out batshit with it that I appreciate what they do. They're committed. I respect it.

I should also mention, the player is helped by a tag-team of Martok and Geordi during this mission. Martok was killed off-camera at the beginning of STO to put a dickbag in charge of the Empire so we could have a new Federation/Klingon war, but the previous STO episode revealed that Martok wasn't actually dead, but taken prisoner by the So'na. The player teamed up with Martok's son to invade the Briar Patch, smash the So'na defenses, and rescue Martok.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Everybody's always capturing Martok. I just started STO. Something about some time travel plot and those aliens TNG ran into in their Mark Twain Sam Francisco adventures.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've only seen this and I'm likely to be off work sick again tomorrow which of the other shows should I watch while I'm Ill? Don't want to watch the original series

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jose posted:

I've only seen this and I'm likely to be off work sick again tomorrow which of the other shows should I watch while I'm Ill? Don't want to watch the original series

Animated Series

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

Everybody's always capturing Martok. I just started STO. Something about some time travel plot and those aliens TNG ran into in their Mark Twain Sam Francisco adventures.

Everything Old Is New, yeah. Was much beloved at the time that episode first came out, it was the first time 23rd century stuff ever appeared in STO and it was a really well done series of episodes compared to everything else in the game at the time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ursula Le Guin died today. Rip.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Ursula Le Guin died today. Rip.

(She died 2 days ago.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jose posted:

Watch the TOS movies starting from II, unless you're really "spaced-out sick" (or whacked out of your head on cold meds) in which case you can start with TMP..

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Epicurius posted:

What gets me is that Enterprise had a perfectly serviceable instrumental in the ending "Archer's Theme", for all that it was reminiscent of "Somewhere Out There".

I’m going to open myself to argument for this, but “Archer’s Theme” is really boring and anemic. If the theme absolutely has to have lovely early 2000’s adult-contemporary guitar wailing, I’d rather just have Faith of The Heart.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

After The War posted:

Watch the TOS movies starting from II, unless you're really "spaced-out sick" (or whacked out of your head on cold meds) in which case you can start with TMP..

Star Trek:TMP is good in at least some measure if you have it in HD.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

A quick aside, but Disco has had the best opening season of a Trek outside of TOS.

Also, it's heavily theming this season on identity. All of the main characters have their main arcs revolve around it and it's the whole reason for the MU arc (though like, if next episode doesn't see them back home...)

I think that's a neat meta-choice for the show to take, tbh.

I think the whole "it's grimdark no-joy trek" seems to be missing the point though?

Best episodes this run were right before the break IMO, with the Paviians and Timeloop eps.

Also, backing up TOS movies, as those are very, very good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jose posted:

Sorry if I'm being dumb but what's the "this" you've only seen?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m going to open myself to argument for this, but “Archer’s Theme” is really boring and anemic. If the theme absolutely has to have lovely early 2000’s adult-contemporary guitar wailing, I’d rather just have Faith of The Heart.

Honest to god it sounds like the ending credits to some 80's sitcom

Moriatti posted:

A quick aside, but Disco has had the best opening season of a Trek outside of TOS.

Also, it's heavily theming this season on identity. All of the main characters have their main arcs revolve around it and it's the whole reason for the MU arc (though like, if next episode doesn't see them back home...)

I think that's a neat meta-choice for the show to take, tbh.

I think the whole "it's grimdark no-joy trek" seems to be missing the point though?

Best episodes this run were right before the break IMO, with the Paviians and Timeloop eps.

Also, backing up TOS movies, as those are very, very good.

lol the only thing approaching good episodes this show had are the ones that most closely resemble old Trek, and it's still mired with rear end in a top hat characters sorry

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I think you'll find Saru is one of the best characters on Trek.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tighclops posted:

lol the only thing approaching good episodes this show had are the ones that most closely resemble old Trek, and it's still mired with rear end in a top hat characters sorry

Who do you consider to be assholes?

It's kind of a weird complaint coming from someone whose username is referencing a character who is peak rear end in a top hat at the start of his show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I found everyone except Saru to be 100% unlikable, either through their character making what I'd consider both idiotic and unethical choices, or just having a bad attitude or terrible personality.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
just like...quit watching if you already know you dont like it? idgi why people torture themselves like that but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy s*** the greatest Generation guys miss the joke over and over. They got to the part with cardassian yamuk sauce and they want to see what it is. On screen. They want to explore the MacGuffin with the funny name that never appears. Even the characters don't know what it is. That's the joke. They don't get it.

Wow