Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Schizotek posted:

What are the tears made of?
Shame and self loathing. He had one job in life - to blow up - and he can't even do that right. Think how disappointed his father is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Slashrat posted:

Are naval mines likely to detonate by hitting dry ground when dropped from a helicopter or is this a sign of how desperate the army is to do something, however futile, to put a dent in the rebels?

As long as it hits properly and pushes the plunger in it should go off. The one in the video appears to have gotten some spin so the plungers were sheared off instead of pushed in.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Schizotek posted:

What are the tears made of?

It could be sulfuric acid, which is a part of the detonator used in cheap naval mines.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Children playing in Aleppo about 100 meters away from the fighting.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Once/if Syria becomes peaceful enough for it to be possible, there is going to have to be a massive massive unexploded ordinance cleanup with international help.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I guess you haven't heard about those areas that still have 40 year old mines that occasionally blow up farmers. Pretty sure the world just forgets about that poo poo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They still occasionally find WW1 bombs in Belgium, those things don't really go away no matter how hard you search.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

i poo poo trains posted:

The situation in a Syria is an ethnic civil war that's only framed in terms of dictatorship versus democracy when it comes to swooning Westerners. As fast as you are to characterize this as a sole crazed dictator fighting a war of oppression, the fact of the matter is that the actual war is (rural, conservative) Sunni vs. the old Alawite elite (with a bunch of minorities mixed in), and even with Assad gone they would still be fighting this war.

You're going to have to cite this "fact of the matter," because everything anywhere is at odds with your perspective. The original protests and immolation were about the strict security measures the regime had in place on the public due to being in a "state of emergency," support for Libya and Egypt, and human rights and freedom. They were very small, which would suggest there was no massive underlying issue just waiting to bubble to the surface like you're bringing up, but the regimes brutal crackdowns on them led to the day of rage. This has been entirely about Assad and the Syrian government since day 1. No way in hell is the war going on right now if the government would've even entertained the public demands.

quote:

whoever wins, there's probably going to be some serious massacres and, in the case of a Sunni victory, ethnic cleansing. Civil wars are a messy business, and to believe that you can achieve a 'good' outcome by giving guns to the side with the best PR is idiotic.

I agree that there will likely be some violence against Alawites by scattered remnants of the opposition that aren't on board with the Coalition, but to think it would be anything but dwarfed by the full scale military operations that the regime has had and continues to have against a civilian populace is a bit farfetched. And it will be much easier to quell because the future Syrian government is already working with the international community, and will continue to during the rebuilding process. We can instate safe zones and provide security and all those things that have been suggested that weren't viable before due to diplomatic reasons.

The regime is doomed to fall no matter what. All these fears you have about the future of Syria are going to be brought to the table eventually. The only question is how long is it going to take, and how many people is he going to be able to kill before it happens. That's why letting it handle itself is a terrible idea. Might as well speed the process up, rather than wait for him to fall through a long, horrific siege of Damascus, with that many more dead, and then STILL have to worry about the safety of the Alawite people.

Charliegrs posted:

But as for the aftermath of this civil war, I agree with your outlook. I think its going to be pretty horrific. And I think thats why most western countries arent getting too involved right now because they see the writing on the walls as to whats going to happen once Assad falls and dont want to contribute to it.

Again, it's inevitable, but it's hard to see it not being preferable to the status quo. The biggest obstacle towards intervention right now has to be the diplomatic issues with Russia and China. Nobody wants to start another cold war by stepping on toes for something so inconsequential in the long run as Syria.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 10, 2012

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
CNN has started using a qualifier on their coverage of Syrian chemical weapons: "NBC reported Wednesday night that Syria is loading chemical weapons into bombs. CNN has not confirmed the NBC report."

I saw this in at least three different stories on their site right now. I'm glad there is some pushback, however minor, over the WMD fear mongering.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bob Socko posted:

Shame and self loathing. He had one job in life - to blow up - and he can't even do that right. Think how disappointed his father is.

I hear his father went to pieces.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hear his father went to pieces.

Wouldn't a mine's father explode in anger?

It seems rather odd that Syria would just drop a naval mine onto land instead of extracting the explosives and putting it into an improvised bomb that would, perhaps, have more reliability.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Schizotek posted:

I guess you haven't heard about those areas that still have 40 year old mines that occasionally blow up farmers.

Which is why EOD has become a focus in the modern era. There are current international efforts to remove UXO from Vietnam, Cambodia, Bosnia, etc

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Davincie posted:

They still occasionally find WW1 bombs in Belgium, those things don't really go away no matter how hard you search.

When I was a kid there was an unfortunate British golfer who found one the hard way in a sand trap.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Seems like Morsi will win this whole conflict if the opposition can't decide whether to vote or to boycott. If they vote they might lose, which would be embarrassing, but if they boycott they can.. do what, exactly? Call it illegitimate, even though its become law and their opinion doesn't matter to the government?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

i poo poo trains posted:

The fact that hypothetical non-sectarian groups would need significant western aid to even theoretically have a chance against the sectarian ones is prima facie evidence that the population simply isn't interested in fighting the same war liberals in the West would like them to. You're also assuming that the US and others would be comfortable arming groups that will likely end up in opposition to Islamists and others armed by Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which seems unlikely. The situation in Syria is a proxy war motivated by sovereign self-interest and by believing that the most humanitarian solution is allowing CIA spooks to pour arms onto the situation you become little more than a useful idiot.

In light of impending genocide, your oh so massive intelligence deems that letting said genocide happen is the best choice?
You know, something like this IS going to be attempted. You can pretend that nothing can be done about it and wring your hands in terrible worriment, or you can accept that somebody is going to try it and at least try and help out the people who have said they won't allow something like that. So yes, helping groups that will fight against any attempted genocide would be an amazing idea. An awesome idea, because they're the sort of people who you want to have a fighting chance. And right now, they do have a fighting chance, and they do exist. But wait till JAN is done with the regime, and guess what some of their members will try doing, with pretty much nobody but the targets themselves to stop them.

Cutting Edge Tanks, as made by the FSA.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Robot hobbyists are now just taking advantage of the civil war to get people to help them with their projects.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Smashurbanipal posted:

Hussein and Mubarak did put down and repress the Dawa and the Brotherhood respectively, but that's not why the US was supporting them. Please remember that one of the world's most theocratic states is our bosom buddy and has been for about 50 years now. And I'm not talking about Israel
So who ARE you talking about? Saudi Arabia? Pakistan?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Nothing on Sudan? Come on, guys

quote:

Six people were injured on Sunday as Sudanese police clashed with hundreds of protesters showing support for four dead students originally from the conflict-plagued Darfur region, an AFP reporter said.
Many people were also detained by the security forces, and a bus owned by the Khartoum city government was torched, the reporter said.

The official Radio Omdurman quoted police as saying 47 people were taken into custody when officers broke up an “attempted disturbance.”

At least two men suffered head wounds while one was injured in the leg and two women had trouble breathing, apparently from tear gas fired by police, the AFP reporter said.

The death of the four students last week, following an alleged crackdown on a tuition protest, has prompted a re-emergence of Arab Spring-inspired demands for the downfall of the government.

“The people want the fall of the regime,” protesters shouted, in a call last heard in Sudan in June and July when scattered anti-regime demonstrations sparked by inflation spread around the country.

They later petered out following a security clampdown.

“Killing students is the killing of the nation!” demonstrators called as they converged on the capital’s main public bus terminal, the reporter witnessed.

“Peace, justice, freedom!”

About 100 demonstrators walked three kilometres (two miles) from the riverfront University of Khartoum to Nilien University where hundreds more joined them before they moved into the bus terminal.

Police then fired tear gas but the protesters regrouped, and lobbed back stones before more tear gas was fired.

Thick clouds, apparently from the gas, wafted over the western edge of the city as the sun set.

Earlier, about 500 students held a mock funeral at the University of Khartoum for the four Gezira University students, whose deaths a student group blamed on authorities and their “militia.”

A student witness said many mourners then marched into the street near the campus, where police beat them with batons.

Students also demonstrated to show their support in Port Sudan on the Red Sea, a witness there said.

In 1964, the death of student activist Ahmed al-Qureshi sparked the “October Revolution” which ended the military regime then in power after tens of thousands protested.

The Darfur Students Association of Gezira University announced on Saturday that Al Sadiq Yakoub Abdullah and Al Noman Ahmed Gorshi had been found dead along with Mohammed Yunis Neil and Adel Mohammed Ahmed Hammad.

All four had gone missing after joining a peaceful sit-in “for their right to free education in the university,” the association said.

“Gezira University administration, the Student Union and National Congress Party militia bear full responsibility for the blood of our martyrs,” it said, referring to the ruling party.

Under a 2011 peace deal between the government and an alliance of Darfur rebel splinter factions, the children of people displaced by Darfur’s nine-year rebel-government conflict are supposed to get a fee waiver at national universities.

The association said 80 students were arrested and dozens injured when the pro-government Student Union disrupted the sit-in.

Justice Minister Mohammed Bashara Dusa has ordered an investigation committee into what happened at Gezira University, in El Gezira state south of Khartoum, official media said.

Activities at the campus have been suspended after the students’ “drowning,” the state SUNA news agency reported.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Under what definition can Sudan be considered part of the Middle East?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
They speak Arabic, they're part of the Arab League. Just as much a part of the Middle East as other North African Arab countries.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
North Sudan is definitely Middle Eastern in terms of culture and language; obviously the Upper Nile is much less so. Unless you're a 19th century Englishman and want to talk about the Near East instead.

edit: The Sudan.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

cargo cult posted:

So who ARE you talking about? Saudi Arabia? Pakistan?

Saudi.

Houston Euler
Nov 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Sudanese government has more important things to worry about than protestors. Like Israeli spy vultures.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's been mounting clashes in Tripoli lately. The conflict's been slowly spilling over the North border. Hopefully there won't be anything else, but Tripoli seems to often by the first city embroiled in conflicts...
Also, is Ahram news a trustworthy source?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Sudan is definitely Middle East, especially now that the South split. I mean, it's part of the Middle East in the weird-rear end cousin kind of way, but still family.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Whelp, Morsi just gave the millitary arrest powers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

Whelp, Morsi just gave the millitary arrest powers.

Who is giving power to whom here? Didn't the military just cause Morsi to rescind his decree by clearing its throat?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In other news, the US Department of State has announced that it designated Jabhat al-Nusra as a Foreign Terrorist Organization:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7532_story.html

quote:

The State Department has designated Syria’s Jabhat al-Nusra Front as a Global Terrorist organization. The new designation identifies the group as an alias of previously designated al-Qaeda in Iraq.

The designation, which will be announced Tuesday, is part of a fast-moving effort by the Obama administration to recognize and bolster Syria’s hand-picked rebel coalition and marginalize extremists who have become an increasingly powerful military force within the opposition.

Notice of the designation was published Monday in the Federal Register. The notice indicated the paperwork was signed by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Nov. 20. In separate amendments under the Immigration Act and an existing executive order, the designation prohibits Americans from having any financial dealings with the group and freezes any of its assets under U.S. control.

Recent reports from Syria suggest that extremists groups such as Jabhat are gaining ground in places where support for the opposition Free Syrian Army, the loose umbrella of rebel fighters, is wearing thin.

FSA officials estimate Jabhat fighters now account for 7.5 to 9 percent of total rebel forces, and that they are regarded as some of the fiercest front-line troops against the military force of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Administration officials say the Jabhat group consists largely of Syrian fighters who joined al-Qaeda in Iraq some years ago and have returned to their own country, along with additional Iraqis and other foreigners. Al-Qaeda in Iraq was one of the leading Sunni insurgent groups that attacked U.S. troops there.

The decision to list the group as an AQI alias both accelerated the designation process, and emphasized the administration’s desire to tie it directly to the al-Qaeda offshoot in neighboring Iraq.

Much of the group’s funding is believed to come from sympathetic financiers in the Persian Gulf. While the governments of Saudi Arabia and Qatar are directly funding the FSA, there are growing fears that some of that money also is going to the extremists.

Jabhat was not invited to a meeting Friday in Turkey, where rebel military commanders formed a unified command under the tutelage of American, European and Arab security officials.

The military command follows establishment last month of a new Syrian Opposition Coalition, a political structure that the administration plans to recognize at a meeting this week in Morocco as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people. Clinton will lead the U.S. delegation to the Wednesday meeting.

This could be a very interesting development, especially as Jabhat al-Nusra continues to solidfy its reputation as one of the most proficient insurgent groups operating in Syria.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'm just going to leave this here.

"Syrian homemade tank"
http://imgur.com/a/pyqst

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
^^^^ The Playstation's new multiplayer mode?

suboptimal posted:

In other news, the US Department of State has announced that it designated Jabhat al-Nusra as a Foreign Terrorist Organization:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7532_story.html

This could be a very interesting development, especially as Jabhat al-Nusra continues to solidfy its reputation as one of the most proficient insurgent groups operating in Syria.

You couldn't have chosen a better moment to post that last sentence if you tried.

Syria rebels overrun Aleppo military base

Sheikh Suleiman fell, the J. al-N. were at the forefront and the FSA was said to be absent. Well, drat.

Also, successful ambushes at Maarat al-Numan and Bukraya by the rebels; that does not look good for any Assad forces in the north.

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 10, 2012

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Welp, now Syria is at the phase where it is producing its own :killdozer:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

mitztronic posted:

"Syrian homemade tank"
Shine on you crazy diamonds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For a group that has blown up a lot of Syrian army BMPs and Tanks do they really think that thing is an improvement??

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ecureuilmatrix posted:

^^^^ The Playstation's new multiplayer mode?

You couldn't have chosen a better moment to post that last sentence if you tried.

Syria rebels overrun Aleppo military base

Sheikh Suleiman fell, the J. al-N. were at the forefront and the FSA was said to be absent. Well, drat.

Also, successful ambushes at Maarat al-Numan and Bukraya by the rebels; that does not look good for any Assad forces in the north.

I'm going to look into confirming 100% Sheik Suleiman fell, if that's right then it's extremely significant for the fighting in the north of the country, it could make a real difference in the battle for Aleppo.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

priznat posted:

For a group that has blown up a lot of Syrian army BMPs and Tanks do they really think that thing is an improvement??

I would rather be inside that armour if someone shot at me with a rifle, but I can only hope it's fast enough to escape from a real tank.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chamale posted:

I would rather be inside that armour if someone shot at me with a rifle, but I can only hope it's fast enough to escape from a real tank.

Honestly, I think I'd rather be out on the ground able to go take cover than in that thing even versus a person with a rifle. I'd be surprised if its armor does a whole hell of a lot if you get a good 90-degree offset shot at it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The metal looks pretty rusty and steel core stuff is gonna give it a pretty bad day. Not to mention there didn't look like there was any kind of anti-spalling protection on the interior.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

az jan jananam posted:

This is a positive development in Tunisia for a number of reasons. It shows that leftist organizations are organized and once again capable of and willing to cause noticeable disruptions of the right-wing government of Tunisia. It shows that Tunisian labor has changed its position from the quietism of the Ben Ali era. It shows that the Union Generale and labor in general can successfully compel concessions from Ennahdha in the face of a government crackdown.

How much has the current government been mishandling the situation and how much is the lack of progress due to the fact that the underlying issues are hard to resolve?

From what you're saying you don't believe that if the left wing block was in power this unrest in these regions wouldn't be occurring.

[e] I should add the recent developments:

The party of the Tunisian President Marzouki is threatening to leave the governing coalition. They are the center left CPR currently playing second fiddle to the centre right and Islamist Ennahda Movement.

Tunisia police, militants clash near Algeria border, one dead

Munin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 10, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mitztronic posted:

"Syrian homemade tank"

They armored up a golf cart, didn't they?

Seriously, I'm trying to find what vehicle frame they used as basis for the chassis, and all I can think is "golf cart".

It's cute, but of dubious utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ChaosSamusX posted:

Welp, now Syria is at the phase where it is producing its own :killdozer:

Damnit, I was just about to say the same exact thing.

The legend continues! :killdozer:

• Locked thread