Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
well the thing that would take a while to download is CAB and all of the big mods use that

you can delete individual mods, like pilots fatigue, if they bother you

everyone is going to have particular preferences when it comes to any of the mega packs. so ask away if you run into issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sassassin posted:

The super low budget star wars text crawl is not a great first impression. Mechwarrior fatigue, animations running comedically fast, hit % that doesn't end in a 0 or 5?!? A lot of change for change's sake/bloat so far but it took a while to download so will crack on with a career.

The base game fudges the actual hit % to make it even numbers, even if it's using odd ones behind the scenes. I think most of the mods get rid of that just so you can see what the actual chances are.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gwaihir posted:

The base game fudges the actual hit % to make it even numbers, even if it's using odd ones behind the scenes. I think most of the mods get rid of that just so you can see what the actual chances are.

I assumed it was just because of the skill changes where Gunnery works in 4% rather than 5% increments and stuff like that. Is it not a D20(ish) system under the hood?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Any good advice for survivability? I've got jump jets and try to keep my mechs moving but my thunderbolt is getting their armor shredded on the regular and my shadow hawk often loses an arm. Maybe I'm committing to forward positions too much?

This destroy the dropship then fight a heavy lance mission is kicking my rear end

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ilmucche posted:

Any good advice for survivability? I've got jump jets and try to keep my mechs moving but my thunderbolt is getting their armor shredded on the regular and my shadow hawk often loses an arm. Maybe I'm committing to forward positions too much?

This destroy the dropship then fight a heavy lance mission is kicking my rear end

Make sure every pilot has Bulwark
Always be in cover whenever possible
High ground is nice, but not enough by itself
If one of your mechs is getting ganged up on, have them run away and break line of sight so the damage can get spread around your other mechs
If a mech is taking damage on one side, rotate so your undamaged side faces the enemy
Evasion from jumping/walking/sprinting is nice when you can use it in conjunction with cover, but cover is more reliable than evasion at preventing damage so when in doubt choose cover over evasion

A thunderbolt has good stock armor and should be able to hang with anything smaller than an assault mech if used properly. Do move any ammo out of the center torso though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ilmucche posted:

Are you putting as much armour as possible on your frontline mechs? The default amounts can be pretty low on some of these heavies.

Spreading out the damage can be important. Don't be afraid to put something fragile in harms way for a short spell to take fire off the big boys.

Aiming for enemy weapons can reduce damage taken massively. The centurion on that map only has one decent gun on its right arm iirc.

But sometimes you're going to lose an arm or two. Make the mechtechs earn their year end bonus.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sassassin posted:

I assumed it was just because of the skill changes where Gunnery works in 4% rather than 5% increments and stuff like that. Is it not a D20(ish) system under the hood?

Most mods (I think) include a logging tool that creates a full combat log file you can look at to see just how close you were on that one bullshit missed shot, if you'd like to see it. But based on that, the game is using 6 character random numbers for the hit rolls. I made a post about it a ways back:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&userid=158595&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post512641793

TLDR, the hit system is odd. Every shot has a base chance to hit, typically 80%. Gunnery is then added to that base chance, and it has a modifier (In the log I pasted it's called gunnery divisor, which equates each point in gunnery to 1% better hit chance). Then the other stuff gets added or subtracted from that base chance, all these things: Positive mods make things more difficult, negatives make things easier.

MODIFIERS: RANGE +2; SELF-MOVED +1; SELF-ARM MOUNTED -1; HEIGHT +1; TERRAIN +1; ATTACKER-EFFECTS -1; ENEMY-EFFECTS +1; ... FINAL: [[ 2 ]]

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 11, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

sassassin posted:

Everything. The mechs run fast, missiles move fast, lasers all fire at once. I'm used to unmodified vanilla slow and steady pacing.

Some of the bigmod packs add a mod that speeds up animations and combat results - you see this a bunch in YouTube videos, and I personally dislike it. Check your configs, see if there's any options for this kind of thing, or check for "SpeedMod" in the included mods.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
QuickCam was the standalone mod that I remember, from back before HBS added the built in options to speed up animations and cameras.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sassassin posted:

Everything. The mechs run fast, missiles move fast, lasers all fire at once. I'm used to unmodified vanilla slow and steady pacing.

Gwaihir posted:

QuickCam was the standalone mod that I remember, from back before HBS added the built in options to speed up animations and cameras.

QuickCam should only mess with the camera pan/zoom speeds and buffer times before letting the next action trigger, not with weapons/animation pacing. Make sure you have "Speed-Up Combat" off in your settings. Some mods might alter the rate of speed-up to go even faster than normal.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

sassassin posted:

Aiming for enemy weapons can reduce damage taken massively. The centurion on that map only has one decent gun on its right arm iirc.
Also, a minor thing: if you destroy a right or left torso you'll take the corresponding arm with it, and torsos are quite easy to hit with called shots. So if the mech has weapons in LT/RT as well as its arms you can get double value and destroy two lots of weapons with one shot. Also, quite a few of the stock loadouts put ammo in the LT or RT so you can cook that off and injure the pilot as well, or sometimes even kill them outright.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

sassassin posted:

Are you putting as much armour as possible on your frontline mechs? The default amounts can be pretty low on some of these heavies.

Spreading out the damage can be important. Don't be afraid to put something fragile in harms way for a short spell to take fire off the big boys.

But sometimes you're going to lose an arm or two. Make the mechtechs earn their year end bonus.

Yeah, I've been stripping firepower to bulk them up. I think it's alright now, plowed through a few more story missions and have an assault mech. They're ridiculous :stonk:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zephro posted:

Also, a minor thing: if you destroy a right or left torso you'll take the corresponding arm with it, and torsos are quite easy to hit with called shots. So if the mech has weapons in LT/RT as well as its arms you can get double value and destroy two lots of weapons with one shot. Also, quite a few of the stock loadouts put ammo in the LT or RT so you can cook that off and injure the pilot as well, or sometimes even kill them outright.

Destroying the torso already injures the pilot.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah exploding ammo in a side torso is just a shortcut to blowing it and the arm off, it doesn't do anything further than normal otherwise.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, I've been stripping firepower to bulk them up. I think it's alright now, plowed through a few more story missions and have an assault mech. They're ridiculous :stonk:

The assaults you get from story mode are more powerful than the assaults you can salvage. They're star-league designs so they have more available tonnage and have greater innate cooling capacity.

If you have the DLC, you get one assault from the Heavy Metal campaign flashpoint with similar characteristics. Getting this mech also adds a lower tech (but still with greater base tonnage) version to the enemy tables and is totally worth salvaging. The DLC also adds the Annihilator, which is the best mech in the game.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Carcer posted:

Yeah exploding ammo in a side torso is just a shortcut to blowing it and the arm off, it doesn't do anything further than normal otherwise.
Do you not get double injuries? ie one for destroying the torso and a second for the ammo explosion?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zephro posted:

Do you not get double injuries? ie one for destroying the torso and a second for the ammo explosion?

No, but if you fall over after you will take a second hit of damage

IIRC it originally worked that way but changed it in a patch

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Zephro posted:

I think you can only take one injury max in the shooting phase.

So if you get hit in the head, lose a side torso and have an ammo explosion due to a single mech shooting you in a single turn, you'll only take one injury.

EDIT: as stated above, only way to get 2 hits in one turn is to also fall down.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

One easy trick with Marauders the Great Houses DON'T want you to know!

Enemy pilots HATE it!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dumb question, are armor values kind of wrong in the PC game vs. tabletop?

For instance an Awesome 8Q in tabletop has almost the maximum possible armor for the chassis (15.0/15.5t) but in the PC game you can add a lot more than 0.5 tons of additional armor.

:confuoot:

One of those things I always meant to ask about and never got around to.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

You can break tabletop's maximum armor values, yes.

You can armor the front of the 'Mech up to the same maximum you could in tabletop (as if it had no rear armor), and the rear up to an arbitrary point (I think it's 1/3 or 1/2 as much).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Organ Fiend posted:

The assaults you get from story mode are more powerful than the assaults you can salvage. They're star-league designs so they have more available tonnage and have greater innate cooling capacity.

If you have the DLC, you get one assault from the Heavy Metal campaign flashpoint with similar characteristics. Getting this mech also adds a lower tech (but still with greater base tonnage) version to the enemy tables and is totally worth salvaging. The DLC also adds the Annihilator, which is the best mech in the game.

The highlander is nuts. I haven't found any flashpoints yet, but I'm well into the campaign I think. Did the smithon mission to protect dropships

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sean10mm posted:

For instance an Awesome 8Q in tabletop has almost the maximum possible armor for the chassis (15.0/15.5t) but in the PC game you can add a lot more than 0.5 tons of additional armor.

:confuoot:

One of those things I always meant to ask about and never got around to.

To elaborate on what PTN said, in TT, max armor is always 2x the base structure of a mech (except for the head, which has 3x). But for torso sections, that value has to be split between front and rear torsos. HBS tech lets you apply the full TT maximum to the front, and then half again the maximum to the rear.

So if your tabletop mech has 20 left torso internal structure, it can mount 40 total armor on the LT. It'll probably run 30 in front and 10 rear.

In HBS terms, that turns in to 100 internal structure, and 200 total armor available in front with another 100 possible in back.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Last Transmission posted:

One easy trick with Marauders the Great Houses DON'T want you to know!

Enemy pilots HATE it!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

ilmucche posted:

The highlander is nuts. I haven't found any flashpoints yet, but I'm well into the campaign I think. Did the smithon mission to protect dropships

The flashpoints only start showing up after you finish the campaign.

That said, the flashpoints are really better suited for career mode. A lot of flashpoints are designed for the earlier game when you're still getting started. They're mini-stories with good payout that help get you going just like the campaign missions do. They're also a great way to build up reputation with the factions since they have no faction rep requirement.

By the end of the campaign you'll have two way overpowered assaults and a full stable of assault/heavy mechs. You won't need the flashpoints for progression, and you'll probably blow through them with your endgame lance.

EDIT: If you had fun with the game on Campaign, I and I think everyone else in this thread would strongly recommend trying career after that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'll give that a try after I finish the campaign. Having fun melting things with a lance catapult, highlander, thunderbolt and marauder. Found a snub PPC with -10 heat in the black market and I'm excited to try that on the thunderbolt

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Quad UAC10++ Annihilator is hilarious.

:blastu:
:blastu:
:goku:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Has anyone ever try a higher view/detect distance mod or has a reasonably good idea of how it affects gameplay beyond theorycrafting? I was hoping to shake things up and break out of the 300m engagement zone I always found myself in during the campaign.

I am assembling a mod list to dive into career mode (probably going to be BEX) and maybe some others if they are compatible. Extended view distance is one of them. Or does this totally gently caress things up in a way that I am not thinking about?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I'm finding this game really hostile with some of its mechanics and UI.

Am I insane, or is there no way of actually figuring out the "base weight" of a mech without stripping them completely? I'm looking at two different mechs to fill the role of sniper but despite the fact that Shadowhawk is 55 and the Centurion is 50, you get way more weight on the Centurion. I can't tell at all with mechs in storage.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

No, but if you fall over after you will take a second hit of damage

IIRC it originally worked that way but changed it in a patch

Organ Fiend posted:

I think you can only take one injury max in the shooting phase.

So if you get hit in the head, lose a side torso and have an ammo explosion due to a single mech shooting you in a single turn, you'll only take one injury.

Ah, OK. Thanks :)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

crepeface posted:

Am I insane, or is there no way of actually figuring out the "base weight" of a mech without stripping them completely? I'm looking at two different mechs to fill the role of sniper but despite the fact that Shadowhawk is 55 and the Centurion is 50, you get way more weight on the Centurion. I can't tell at all with mechs in storage.

There isn't really a way in game to see the "empty" weight without stripping everything, no. For the base game there's a spreadsheet someone put together that lists how much free tonnage each mech has relative to each other.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/edit#gid=1844655663

I'm not sure I can say the game is hostile, just doesn't present all the information it should sometimes.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

crepeface posted:

Unfortunately there isn't.

However, you can figure out which mech has more free tonnage by looking at their speeds.

The SHD is faster than the CN9 and therefore has less free tonnage because it has a larger/ heavier engine. In general, the heavier the mech and the slower it is, the more free tonnage it has.

This only breaks down with the fast assaults (BNC, CP10, BLR, ZEU, VTR). They're all as fast as the 75 ton Orion, but the Orion has more free tonnage. The engine weight curve is not linear and these assaults have engines on the steep side of the curve. This is what people mean when they talk about "overengined" mechs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The pips on the mech bay screen are normal movement distance? The marauder seems to have very little mobility and outside of cutting weapons to jam jump jets on it I'm not sure how to speed it up.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ilmucche posted:

The pips on the mech bay screen are normal movement distance? The marauder seems to have very little mobility and outside of cutting weapons to jam jump jets on it I'm not sure how to speed it up.

The pips don't always tell the whole story. If you mouse over them you'll get more detailed info on a mechs speed/armor/heat/etc.

Heat is especially bad about this because equipping a heat bank causes the bar to skyrocket but they are not nearly that effective.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ilmucche posted:

You can't change a units speed at all in the base game. The engine it comes with is all you're getting.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

You can't change a units speed at all in the base game. The engine it comes with is all you're getting.

Also removing weight doesn't add speed in case that's unclear.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

The marauder is slow and immobile if you're comparing it to light or most medium mechs, but it is faster and more mobile than most heavies and assaults. Generally speaking as you go further in the game and start using heavier mechs, they will get slower, and that's a good thing because fast heavy mechs tend not to have very much tonnage for weapons and armour. As you get tougher and deadlier you also get slower, and this will apply to both your mechs and the enemy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah the story mission assault is a beast. Slow moving but it hits super hard. Had a moment of worry on a mission where they blew the armor off the torso and I was worried I'd lose the crazy rifle it has. The black market has some crazy weapons too. Want to load up my catapult with +stb weapons

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

vyelkin posted:

The marauder is slow and immobile if you're comparing it to light or most medium mechs, but it is faster and more mobile than most heavies and assaults. Generally speaking as you go further in the game and start using heavier mechs, they will get slower, and that's a good thing because fast heavy mechs tend not to have very much tonnage for weapons and armour. As you get tougher and deadlier you also get slower, and this will apply to both your mechs and the enemy.

The Marauder is exactly as fast as every other heavy but the Dragon and Quickdraw (which suck.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It looks the best though, so its clearly superior.