Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Thank god internet nerds haven't ruined the reputation of the Pork Pie Hat, the true king of Hats.

No, Breaking Bad fans did that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Heard a lot of mix things about Beyond Earth, but a free weekend sounds perfect for it. That said, probably still waiting until it gets a expansion to buy it, as it feels like the recent Civilization games all have this issue at first.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

Ah, but if your release it a day before the anniversary, people might decide to just wait a few days. No, it should be released at such a moment as to tempt the player with the prospect of learning more about Stanley. That is unless you buy a different piece of DLC that will fling you into the future, but just a day before you get the five-year wait achievement.

Timed achievement. Release the DLC a month before, with a cheevo of 'must be earned within 2 weeks of DLC launch'.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Propaganda Hour posted:

Why even wear hats? Let your waxy nerdlocks flow freely.

I used to have a pork pie hat back in the day when I was a bit of a skinhead. Now if I were to wear one it would be pretty tragic.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Sid's Beyond Earth and Saints Row the latest on free weekend this weekend

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think I've seen more rage about fedoras than actual fedoras. Even on TVTropes I never saw the things mentioned in a positive light, I mean what the hell.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

revdrkevind posted:

Yes, technically trilby is a subset of fedoras. Just like "lowrider" is a subset of "trucks". It's like you're laughing at people who own lowriders, by hopping in a Ford F-150, and going "ha ha look what a dick I look like in this truck". By confusing a neckbeard trilby with a classic fedora, you're not only doing a disservice to the hat and everything it represents, you're also missing out on a broad array of putdowns you could be using telling them how loving ignorant they are.
Look at the fucken scrub who didn't switch to the chinese conical hat.

loving badass.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's also the Derby, which is a very nice hat but it requires you to be smartly dressed to pull it off rather than wearing a T-shirt and a sports jacket.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
If you're thinking about buying Beyond Earth, do us all a favor and buy Endless Legend instead.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Did the internet ruin New's Boy Caps, I kinda like those.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

revdrkevind posted:

It's a pretty decent romp, if you're into this sort of thing.

:stare:

I... think I understand now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Justin_Brett posted:

Did the internet ruin New's Boy Caps, I kinda like those.

The internet ruins everything.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Sorry to break up the Hatchat or whatever but I was wondering if Cities XXL was that city making game that looks like it was SimCity Done Right I remember reading about a game like that but don't know if thats it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

poptart_fairy posted:

I think I've seen more rage about fedoras than actual fedoras. Even on TVTropes I never saw the things mentioned in a positive light, I mean what the hell.

The internet "ruining" fedoras is the backwards way of looking at it. The jokes popped up because people were looking doofy trying to look cool in hats. Those people ruined it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I never played any of the Telltale storybook/adventure/whatever games (Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, etc) but Tales From the Borderlands is looking really tempting - I loved the setting and humor in Borderlands, it was just the repetitive 'Diablo with guns!!!' gameplay that dragged it down. Exactly how much game does TftB deliver for $25 though?

Also Broforce looks like it's either ridiculously awesome or just cheesy horrible, I can't quite tell.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WarLocke posted:

So I never played any of the Telltale storybook/adventure/whatever games (Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, etc) but Tales From the Borderlands is looking really tempting - I loved the setting and humor in Borderlands, it was just the repetitive 'Diablo with guns!!!' gameplay that dragged it down. Exactly how much game does TftB deliver for $25 though?

Also Broforce looks like it's either ridiculously awesome or just cheesy horrible, I can't quite tell.

The answer is ridiculously awesome. Still in early access, but they are adding content constantly and what in the game right now is very fun.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Hour posted:

If you're thinking about buying Beyond Earth, do us all a favor and buy Endless Legend instead.

This. I spent a ton of money on the holiday sale and literally my only regret was buying Civ:BE. If only endless legend was on sale first :(

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Broforce is fantastic

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

I've played a couple hours of it and it's pretty dang fun, especially if you like 90's/80's action movies and explosions. It's super chaotic, but in a fun way where stuff tends to chain react into crazy world-cratering explosions. The different characters are fun to experiment with, and if you have friends down for some local multiplayer it is an awesome party game. It's still Early Access but it feels very complete.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

revdrkevind posted:

It's time for another episode of our favorite game show, How Silly You Look Because You Don't Know Hats:

If you think about it, this makes the entire fedora craze even more pathetic, if that's even possible.

Yes, technically trilby is a subset of fedoras. Just like "lowrider" is a subset of "trucks". It's like you're laughing at people who own lowriders, by hopping in a Ford F-150, and going "ha ha look what a dick I look like in this truck". By confusing a neckbeard trilby with a classic fedora, you're not only doing a disservice to the hat and everything it represents, you're also missing out on a broad array of putdowns you could be using telling them how loving ignorant they are.

The More You Know...

On that note, I assume the Watchdogs hat is supposed to be based on Capone, but the artist looked at too many old washed-out photos of his white hat instead of referencing appropriate source material so they made it way too wide in front. It should come to one sharp-ish point in front, just like most fedoras of the era.

So I guess the Watchdogs hat is still good for making fun of neckbeards, in that it's a lovely example of a fedora based on broad misunderstandings of culture and a lack of research?

end your life

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Tales is good.

However you would only be paying $25 for 3-4 hours of game, with the rest of the game being added over the next few months. By the time the last season is added, it'll be between $5-$10 on sale at least once.

Always wait till the last season for Telltale games. Wolf Among Us was great until fans figured out the ending ahead of time, and then they threw together a lovely half ending to change it in the last few seasons. Still not a bad game, but not up to the par of the first few seasons, which you wouldn't have realized if you blew $25 on it after people said good things about the first few seasons. Same with Walking Dead 2, it started off good, but by the end of the season most people agreed it wasn't worth the full $25.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

revdrkevind posted:

So I guess the Watchdogs hat is still good for making fun of neckbeards, in that it's a lovely example of a fedora based on broad misunderstandings of culture and a lack of research?

:goonsay:

Aiden Pearce account spotted.

Also, can someone confirm how much content ("Stupid low Alpha amounts" vs "It's pretty much a complete game") Tomb of Tyrants has? I'm just eating up all of these indie games with cute concepts that I play twice total, and this looks right up my alley.

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Always wait till the last season for Telltale games. Wolf Among Us was great until fans figured out the ending ahead of time, and then they threw together a lovely half ending to change it in the last few seasons.

Did they really do this? Jesus Christ that's loving dumb. If somebody figures out your lovely ending to a thriller/mystery you loving double down and make that poo poo the best storytelling experience you can, not hedge in a shittier ending when you've already stuck yourself with half of the story already.

drat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That wasn't what happened at all. The rumor was that Telltale wanted to make the police more prominent and make the focus more on humans starting to get wise to the Fables but the author, Willingham, nixed that. There's evidence to support it in-game as well as the big delay between Episodes 1 and 2, but I don't think there's been anything definitive.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

That wasn't what happened at all. The rumor was that Telltale wanted to make the police more prominent and make the focus more on humans starting to get wise to the Fables but the author, Willingham, nixed that. There's evidence to support it in-game as well as the big delay between Episodes 1 and 2, but I don't think there's been anything definitive.

I agree with Willingham on that plot beat. Maybe if they're working a third season that'd be cool, but Fables is such a unique IP that to shoehorn in an extra WATCH OUT FOR HUMANS CAN'T SHOW MAGIC to the point where you can't have Fables be Fables is dumb.

And there's no real endgame to that that doesn't involve some giant Deus Ex Machina spell or murdering all humans.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah that makes more sense, since the end of the first episode used to have a preview for episode 2 that is very different from the actual episode 2.

Still it at least better then what happened to another DC story that happened in the mid 90s, where the very obvious villain got changed to a C-list hero at the last second because it got leaked and they rather not stick with the ending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon_2001

Bet Syrg probably know more about this.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
All hats are dumb as hell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rirse posted:

Heard a lot of mix things about Beyond Earth, but a free weekend sounds perfect for it. That said, probably still waiting until it gets a expansion to buy it, as it feels like the recent Civilization games all have this issue at first.

It should be just enough for me to get sick of CIV again, and hold off on the purchase until DLC fixes the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just as a headsup, the rest of the Civ games are on sale too, so you can pick up Civ 5 Complete for 12 bucks.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

Heard a lot of mix things about Beyond Earth, but a free weekend sounds perfect for it.

It's pretty much Civ 5 literally and metaphorically. We're kinda waiting on the inevitable expansions that will eventually make it it's own game.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Beyond Earth is launch Civ5. It needs an expansion or two to deshittify it, it's rather disappointing. Get Endless Legend instead - a much better game with some AI issues that is supposedly on top of the dev's to-do list.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Ddraig posted:

I used to have a pork pie hat back in the day when I was a bit of a skinhead. Now if I were to wear one it would be pretty tragic.

uh huh yeah now it's tragic.

So there is Cities XXL (man have they hosed up their Roman numerals) and also Cities : Skylines. At first I thought that Skylines had changed its name to fall back in line with the original naming convention of nerd t-shirt sizing (or <boob joke>) but it turns out they are still separate games.

This is just as confusing as fedoras versus tribbing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Partially Steam-related, our very own rope kid (Josh Sawyer) is currently streaming Pillars of Eternity (and occasionally cackling madly). Volume's a bit low though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mutation posted:

All hats are dumb as hell.

We should all have to wear that little hat that Adebisi wears in Oz.

Just the one hat, shared by the entire population of Earth, and we all get it for an hour or something.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Sorry to break up the Hatchat or whatever but I was wondering if Cities XXL was that city making game that looks like it was SimCity Done Right I remember reading about a game like that but don't know if thats it

All the Cities X** games are poo poo. Aside from Sim City 4 + expansions, we're still waiting for a 'good one'.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Who keeps messing with the sack of gem prices?

Argh!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drifter posted:

I was overall pretty unsatisfied with HBS's Shadowrun. The nondialog gameplay was boring as gently caress. Everything just felt 'meh'. I thought the writing was certainly better than some other games, but nothing particularly impressive, either. But still, better.

I backed them last time but will absolutely not do it this time. Good luck to them, though. Always good to have a job.

Dragonfall is way better than the first one, and really nails it to the point that I'd call it a genuine classic. I would never have backed a new Shadowrun game based solely on Dead Mans Switch (which was fine, but a little meh like you say), and I'm guessing I'm not alone.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 15, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jamfrost posted:

Who keeps messing with the sack of gem prices?

Argh!

Bots, because nobody real cares about them right now.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

tehsid posted:

All the Cities X** games are poo poo. Aside from Sim City 4 + expansions, we're still waiting for a 'good one'.

Markgreyam helpfully mentioned the game I was thinking of, which was http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/

Fakedit p- Hahaha the videos are basically all catty asides about SimCity.

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bamhand posted:

A neckbeard would look equally bad

I'll just stop you there.

• Locked thread