Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Maybe Hydaelyn should have just given us a drat instruction manual when she forced superpowers on us. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Maybe Hydaelyn should have just given us a drat instruction manual when she forced superpowers on us. :colbert:

You'd think she'd be a bit more chatty now that we convinced the WoD and Minfilia to serve her a feast of light energy or whatever happened during that arc, but I don't think we've heard so much as a peep out of her since. Shouldn't crystal mom be doing pretty okay now, all things considered? You'd think we could just dial her up and ask how to echo better.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The instruction manual is for suckers.

The installation and field servicing guide is far more useful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
First trip into Antitower. Last boss... what the gently caress? Weirdest and creepiest boss yet in this game.

Cool dungeon visually, though. Reminds me a lot of Karazhan in WoW.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

After 3.4, I feel like crystal mom is a little slow to the draw in giving us crucial and critical information on a lot of things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cythereal posted:

First trip into Antitower. Last boss... what the gently caress? Weirdest and creepiest boss yet in this game.

Cool dungeon visually, though. Reminds me a lot of Karazhan in WoW.

Calcobrina is a straight up reference to FF4 (same theme music and everything). You can even get Calca and Brina minions to follow you around, or dolls to sit in your house to stare at you!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

Calcobrina is a straight up reference to FF4 (same theme music and everything). You can even get Calca and Brina minions to follow you around, or dolls to sit in your house to stare at you!

I never played FF4, so that was lost on me. My exposure to the series prior to this game consists of X and X-2.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cythereal posted:

I never played FF4, so that was lost on me. My exposure to the series prior to this game consists of X and X-2.

Yikes.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nothing wrong with FFX. X-2 had... fun gameplay at least?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thundarr posted:

I also enjoyed the novelty of the protagonists being all women and not constantly being bailed out by guys.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've played various FFs but the only one I actually finished (the story anyway) was X-2. I stopped near the end of X out of boredom/frustration or something.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Is there any alternative to me having to slog through a HUNDRED unrewarding story quests at 50 just to get to heavensward stuff? I mean I don't want to boost my level 54 character, and I like the story, but it's just endless teleporting for little exp and gil.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The boost is the alternative. A lot of people had been suggesting for a long time that something be done to compress some of those quests, but now that the boost exists it seems unlikely that will ever happen.

And at least they learned some lessons there -SB jobs don't require story progress to unlock and both HW and SB post-expansion quests are both more directed and fewer in number.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thundarr posted:

Smh if you can't sing Real Emotion word for word

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eltoasto posted:

Is there any alternative to me having to slog through a HUNDRED unrewarding story quests at 50 just to get to heavensward stuff? I mean I don't want to boost my level 54 character, and I like the story, but it's just endless teleporting for little exp and gil.
You can pay YoshiP but you probably ought to just buckle down because once it's done you A. get to do Heavensward, the best Final Fantasy game, and B. most of it is in fact just beaming around and watching a movie.

Think of this as the down payment on watching Alph get owned.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Argas posted:

I've played various FFs but the only one I actually finished (the story anyway) was X-2. I stopped near the end of X out of boredom/frustration or something.

If you’re like me, you stopped because you got one shot by Seymour’s gimmick attack at mt gagazet and instead of learning how to beat him, you ragequit

It’s probably for the best, because yunalesca would have made me snap my PlayStation over my knee if I made it that far

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Honestly Seymore on the mountain is the most bullshit difficulty jump in the game (unless you're going after dark aeons). Yunalesca is harsh but since Seymore already has you paranoid about needing to cheese boss fights she's not as bad as she could have been.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not gonna lie, I'd love to see FF14's take on Sin. Vegnagun would fit right in as an Allagan or Garlean superweapon, too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thundarr posted:

Honestly Seymore on the mountain is the most bullshit difficulty jump in the game (unless you're going after dark aeons). Yunalesca is harsh but since Seymore already has you paranoid about needing to cheese boss fights she's not as bad as she could have been.

The real gently caress you is the long unskippable cutscene that you have to sit through again and seethe before each fight :argh:

Cythereal posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see FF14's take on Sin. Vegnagun would fit right in as an Allagan or Garlean superweapon, too.

Sin would make a solid raid theme, but it doesn’t have the same cross-game appeal as bahamut or Alexander. Or uh...omega

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I have no idea how y'all have a problem with any incarnation of Seymour in FFX, I beasted all of them with literally no problem, as well as Yunalesca :v:

And the entire game, while I was an idiot shithead teenager.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Content in 14 doesn’t have the staying power of 11. Due to linear progression once the new patch comes out the old content is all obsolete and there’s no reason to run it anymore other than glamour. Content only lasts about a month in ffxiv. This isn’t the case in ffxi, 12 years later and people are still doing dynamis (the first endgame content added).

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Never mind Sin, give me Jecht. Have him call the WoL a crybaby.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NachtSieger posted:

I have no idea how y'all have a problem with any incarnation of Seymour in FFX, I beasted all of them with literally no problem, as well as Yunalesca :v:

And the entire game, while I was an idiot shithead teenager.

My favorite thing about talking about gimmicky boss fights is that like clockwork, someone inevitably comes along with a “wow, you struggled with that? I didn’t, and I can’t imagine how anyone could” reply like this

Every time

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I would pay good money to replace the SAM LB3 with Shooting Star and have it visibly launch the target into space on landing a kill. Just sayin'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhjamiz posted:

Never mind Sin, give me Jecht. Have him call the WoL a crybaby.

Or Yuna. She's still one of my favorite video game protagonists of all time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thundarr posted:

I would pay good money to replace the SAM LB3 with Shooting Star and have it visibly launch the target into space on landing a kill. Just sayin'.

This same technology could be used for suplexes...

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I want a Tidus laugh emote now

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

i would love to do this in pvp

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

That's one of the fun things about the latest 8-man raid. It's taking bosses from other ff games and pitting you against them. While 10 is almost certainly not gonna be a part of the final set, it's still fun to think which bosses would show up and how they'd work.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Brainamp posted:

That's one of the fun things about the latest 8-man raid. It's taking bosses from other ff games and pitting you against them. While 10 is almost certainly not gonna be a part of the final set, it's still fun to think which bosses would show up and how they'd work.

We still keep getting bosses though, like fat Ozma. I'm sure we'll see unseen bosses like Ultimecia and Sin at some point in some fashion.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brainamp posted:

Chocobo Eater with obvious KB gimmick

Yunalesca making healers pull their hair out via constant Zombie attacks

Seymore (all forms one after the other, because he's an rear end in a top hat like that)

Jecht -> Braska's Final Aeon because Otherworld would be a mandatory part of FFX in Omega.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sin would make a solid raid theme, but it doesn’t have the same cross-game appeal as bahamut or Alexander. Or uh...omega

Can't speak for Stormblood as I'm not there yet, but I think I'd be down for a Spira-themed expansion. Beautiful tropical scenery, Polynesian theme for the locals, Ronso are right there as a beast tribe, continued use of swimming being a new thing, etc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

5.0 raid is sin’s toxin making you hallucinate the bosses from ff8-10, calling it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you’re like me, you stopped because you got one shot by Seymour’s gimmick attack at mt gagazet and instead of learning how to beat him, you ragequit

It’s probably for the best, because yunalesca would have made me snap my PlayStation over my knee if I made it that far

Nah, I definitely beat Yunalesca. I think I just got into Sin and kind of stopped caring. Not sure why.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Argas posted:

Nah, I definitely beat Yunalesca. I think I just got into Sin and kind of stopped caring. Not sure why.
The toxin.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

ive been asking for /hahaha for years

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Sadly, they already played out the flying whale idea with Bismarck. I would like to see an iteration of a Bismarck-style Primal that's more like the Sin fight in FFX where you're zooming to its various flanks to take it down piece-by-piece. Bismarck just didn't have that same quality.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

Kuvo posted:

ive been asking for /hahaha for years

Male highlander comes closer than anyone, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQlZF9p8eU&t=37s

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

At least the suspenders are cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hey nerds who are close to hitting level 13 for the next magicite tier. Here's some advice