Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Haha, at first glance I actually thought this was someone trying to be edgy selling a burnt out bike...That bike looks like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

echomadman posted:

yeah its pretty common to put car back wheels on VFR SSWs in the streetfighter scene, then stretch a 190 rear tyre onto it

What the hell. I've heard of people "darksiding" before, i.e. sticking a car tire on their rear wheel because the car tire is cheaper and lasts longer than a motorcycle tire, and they don't so anything but ride in a straight line to the bar and maybe burn out now and then so they don't notice the difference. But I've never heard of anyone doing the reverse. :psyduck:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I give him credit for not asking $15k for it or mentioning how much he 'invested' in that shitshow of a bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MetaJew posted:

$6800? Clear title? What.

DIY fix, no insurance claim. How did you think that works?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
BMW R850C 1999 20k km

A horrible looking bike. and not even a good deal on the price.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Supradog posted:

BMW R850C 1999 20k km

A horrible looking bike. and not even a good deal on the price.

It may be horrible looking, but I'm more interested in how well it accomplishes what it set out to do. Which looks like a motorcycle with laid back cruiser ergonomics but decent back support, rear suspension travel, modern suspension up front, and a modern engine. I would love to give one a try looks be damned.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I used to love those things when I was younger, though I don't like the look of that backrest, just from an aesthetic viewpoint.

If it had a windscreen, I'd ride the hell out of it on the highway. Well, I mean when I'm 20 years older or get a clip-on grey ponytail to dangle from the inside of my helmet.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Coredump posted:

It may be horrible looking, but I'm more interested in how well it accomplishes what it set out to do. Which looks like a motorcycle with laid back cruiser ergonomics but decent back support, rear suspension travel, modern suspension up front, and a modern engine. I would love to give one a try looks be damned.

The backrest doubles as a p-pad.

(e): They always looked kind of bizarre from this side

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coredump posted:

You get some modern engine design I guess if your definition of that is simply EFI and OHC, but not modern power - even the 1200. You look at it and think "oh hey cool a 1200 boxer that must make like 100 horsepower" but it totally doesn't even almost.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 13, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I wonder how the cruiser engine differed from the other oilhead boxers. The 1100S engine got 100ish HP without hassle. I wonder if they just capped the cruiser redline at something crazy low.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
If anyone is looking for a :siren:vergin:siren: 2010 Yz450 in the Denver area then look no further! A steal of a deal at $7,200.

quote:

2010 YZ450F So this Bike Is still a vergin; never been on the ground wrong, The only thing that shows wear is the back tire, The tire on it is soft for traction, YOU need IT. I have all Take off parts that will go with bike, so you will have 2 sprockets, 2 handle bars, 2 sets of grips, 2, throtle grip tube, 2 pair foot pegs tall rider, short rider, 2 pair Hand leavers one nice up grade pair,

2 stands, one kick, I have one nice Service Manual, One Nice Power Programer with mapping timming charts for terain being ridden, can come with two batterys and 2 chargers that run the LED's, oil filter and plug, I have flushed the cooling system then to replace it with ICE brand Cooling fluid I have half container for top off$!, The bike has had one OIL change to Synthetic mobile one 10/40, Their is a set of radiator Left Right supports added to the bike for side lay over, The exhaust had a nice tune out adding the spark arrester housing and screen, this moddle also has 15 db sound angle that is remoovable for more flow they also sell like a 30 db that fitts also this premium spark arester, this after market kick stand was like 280.00$ for this modle its on their, it can come off easy for comp.Pair LR nice leaver protectors with advance fork-Tree strong mounts ,I have all Packaging for all items purchased for bike, I also have up grade belly pan carbon fiber nice mould premium fitt belly scrapper pan for rock climbing, will glide right offHi center!; and some other cool stuff!

I can price the bike two ways fully loaded, or some ittems removed take-off put on , $7.400 --- $6.800

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4458255439.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

I wonder how the cruiser engine differed from the other oilhead boxers. The 1100S engine got 100ish HP without hassle. I wonder if they just capped the cruiser redline at something crazy low.

Some folks put other 4-valve oilhead heads on them and wake them up considerably. I assume Motorrad had them tuned to make grunty stoplight cruiser torque.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Some folks put other 4-valve oilhead heads on them and wake them up considerably. I assume Motorrad had them tuned to make grunty stoplight cruiser torque.
I dunno if the cam is different but the intake is. There's only one throttle body and the intake tract is longer and narrower, which favors more low-end torque.

But nobody shared the ugliest part yet, the touring model fairing:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

While we're on BMW's, I want this.
http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/4440621936.html

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
BMW RTs of that vintage seem like the ultimate "get on and ride for days" bike if you want at least a tinge of sport with your touring. That one's right around the mileage it'll need the clutch and/or final drive refurbished, though, I'd certainly check for any feeling of clutch slippage on a test ride.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Those oilheads are easy to keep tuned up if you invest in a Twinmax and some feeler gauges, too... at least after you get past the "valve adjustment every oil change" mental shock.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

But nobody shared the ugliest part yet, the touring model fairing:

It looks like half a spider's face that got beaten senseless with a 90's ugly stick.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It looks like half a spider's face that got beaten senseless with a 90's ugly stick.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You don't buy a BMW for the aesthetics.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

You don't buy a BMW for the aesthetics.

Yeah, you buy it for the constant fear the clutch is going to go out. Makes you feel alive.

Also because you saw some guys once ride somewhere cool on a BMW.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Head BMW instructor at MMI had one of these, he loved it.
Personally I think they're overrated. I'd take a 1980 RT over that. The new ones are way too tall and heavy. All you get out of them is some slightly more robust luggage and gadgets.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

Z3n posted:

Yeah, you buy it for the constant fear the clutch is going to go out. Makes you feel alive.

Also because you saw some guys once ride somewhere cool on a BMW.

I have that fear on my 2005 R1200GS. Confirm feeling alive.

One day I'll upgrade to one of the recent model Ks or Rs with wet clutch.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Someone tell me this is a definite scam so that I don't go get mugged or something.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4470533760.html

quote:

2012 TRIUMPH 675 4500 MILES - $6700

Stock bike except for the exhaust(arrow)
Great bike. Awesome for 1st time riders
call or text 254220fiveoneninesix

I can't get a good screenshot in my phone, but I did text the guy and he claims it's got a TX title, plate, inspection, and registration and he's selling it to pay for college.

The price seems to good too be true and his photos include another bike with an out of state plate.

Edit: Is it meth? It's meth isn't it.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 15, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MetaJew posted:

Someone tell me this is a definite scam so that I don't go get mugged or something.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4470533760.html

I can't get a good screenshot in my phone, but I did text the guy and he claims it's got a TX title, plate, inspection, and registration and he's selling it to pay for college.

The price seems to good too be true and his photos include another bike with an out of state plate.

Edit: Is it meth? It's meth isn't it.

Make sure its not still owned by the bank or something, but that's just on the reasonable side of obscene deal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
He says the title is in his name. I might go check it out this weekend.

There's also a 2011 675r for sale in Houston for a great price, but the seller is out of town for a few weeks. These are the tough life decisions.

Can anyone comment on the ergo of this versus bikes like a 2012 gsxr600? The only supersport I've ridden is an 06 R6 with rear sets.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 16, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MetaJew posted:

On my phone or I'd do it for you, but reverse GIS can do wonders for revealing scams by showing you where the pics originally came from.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

On my phone or I'd do it for you, but reverse GIS can do wonders for revealing scams by showing you where the pics originally came from.

RGIS'd a couple and didn't get any direct hits.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

RGIS'd a couple and didn't get any direct hits.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, I already reverse GIS'd them and didn't find any matches. I've texted the owner a little more; at a bare minimum he appears to be legit. Still not sure if I want to look at this bike, or potentially pick up a 2011 675R in 2 weeks for $800 more.

I feel like the quick shifter and Ohlins suspension are definitely worth the slight price difference. What I am undecided about is if I want a bike that's got /passion/ or if I should just go with something japanese.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
It sounds like he's just stupid as hell, seeing as he says it's a good bike for first time riders.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

Can anyone comment on the ergo of this versus bikes like a 2012 gsxr600? The only supersport I've ridden is an 06 R6 with rear sets.

Um, far more demanding riding position wise. You sit ontop of the thing versus a GSXR which feels like being in a saddle. Motor is much nicer for a bike you're going to be riding on the street and is easier to ride on the track, it's just not a real thrilling power delivery if that's what you like. Handling wise, the 675 is a goddamn scalpel that edges toward twitchy and likes to shake the front end around.

Meh, I had an 06 675 that I ended up swapping an 09 motor into and now I have an 06 GSXR750. I miss the 675 in a lot of ways but my back can't deal with riding the thing daily.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 16, 2014

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Why must I always be poor this time of year?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Um, far more demanding riding position wise. You sit ontop of the thing versus a GSXR which feels like being in a saddle. Motor is much nicer for a bike you're going to be riding on the street and is easier to ride on the track, it's just not a real thrilling power delivery if that's what you like. Handling wise, the 675 is a goddamn scalpel that edges toward twitchy and likes to shake the front end around.

Meh, I had an 06 675 that I ended up swapping an 09 motor into and now I have an 06 GSXR750. I miss the 675 in a lot of ways but my back can't deal with riding the thing daily.

Thanks for the input. The 675R I was thinking about buying is starting to weird me out. The seller and some other potential buyer are airing their laundry about how each other was inflexible. I think I'm going to take a look at the 2012 675R that's slightly more local, tomorrow.

There's a 2012 Gsx-r600 in Houston that I wanted to check out, but the seller hasn't responded to any of my emails and didn't post a phone number. I'm kind of disappointed at how few recent model year GSX-Rs are for sale, all of the reviews/shootouts seem to side with it as an overall better bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Why must I always be poor this time of year?

It's very hard to get replacement pistons for the Rotax 125s now and replacing them is a once-per-12k kms service item. I mean if it's a dream bike and you're willing to invest the time and money in tracking down the part then cool, go for it, but otherwise don't get too annoyed about missing out on it.

(Also the breezy way he says "Yeah the back brake doesn't work, I dunno why" suggests that he's really not the kind of previous owner you want on a bike so utterly demanding of TLC)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What is up midwest people?

This craigslist 690 SMC looks decent and if I had any money you would all be screwed but alas I do not.

But when I do, there are at least 4 other bikes I will be happy to buy. Well, 8.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm tossing around the idea of going to look at this SV650SF. Although, I was originally looking for a GSX-R/R6 or similar bike, this is just so much cheaper.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4480631588.html

Craigslist posted:

2008 SV-650SF with 6000 miles

Album: http://imgur.com/a/Yp9aG

I'm moving in with my girlfriend and she demands I sell my bike, plus I'm kinda a bitch and am too afraid to ride. So I've got this very nice SV for you to check out.

I bought it brand new in 2008, I am the only owner. I rode it around in Northern VA for around 5500 miles in the twisties, but then when I moved down here to Austin I lost my nerve and haven't really rode it at all.

The bike has the following:

Convertibars w/ extended stainless brake lines and throttle cable
Fender Eliminator
OEM frame sliders
Rear seat cover
New Battery
New oil as of this Sunday
Dunlop sport tires with a lot of tread left

Clean and clear title

No test rides without cash in hand

$4000 FIRM

The downsides I see, though, are that stock the suspension is supposed to be pretty crummy, I'd have to pick up a pair of clipons to replace whatever the ape hangers are that the PO put on it; probably replace the throttle, clutch, and brake lines, with shorter or stock bits; put on a fresh set of tires; and down the road drop some coin on fork emulators and a rear shock and spring. Which gets me close to the price of an 08+ supersport.

What would CA Do?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 22, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I'm tossing around the idea of going to look at this SV650SF. Although, I was originally looking for a GSX-R/R6 or similar bike, this is just so much cheaper.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4480631588.html

The downsides I see, though, are that stock the suspension is supposed to be pretty crummy, I'd have to pick up a pair of clipons to replace whatever the ape hangers are that the PO put on it, put on a fresh set of tires, and down the road drop some coin on fork emulators and a rear shock and spring. Which gets me close to the price of an 08+ supersport.

What would CA Do?

You can move the convertibars down to emulate normal clipons, although you're going to want that position for most riding. The SV is a different bike from a supersport, establish if you want an aggressive supersport or a functional, fun, city bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I agree with z3n. Those bars look wonky, but that puts it at around the height/width of the N SV handlebars. With the ergos of the SV, this is very comfortable and still easy to control.

I think the full fairing SV look really good, and that one is in great shape. That said, the SV and the R6/GSX-R are completely different bikes. It comes down to what you really want out of the bike. What are you coming from, or is this your first bike?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Ride an r6 before you buy if you can. They're great handling bikes but they're not a good city bike. My 06 was so annoying around town I ended up selling it off. The plus side is that everyone has or currently owns one so parts are crazy easy to find and cheap. Track parts are plentiful if you go that direction.

I could never get the low RPM fueling right on mine - ECU flashes are becoming more common now though so that may be a non-issue these days. I will say when the R6 got over 8k it was loving awesome.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I like how honest that guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My brother has an R6, so I've ridden one a little with ohlins fork internals, a penske rear shock, quick shifter, full exhaust, etc. It was pretty ridiculous. Being the first time I'd ever ridden it, and getting stuck behind two dumptrucks for 15 miles, I did find the ergos pretty uncomfortable for just cruising. My bad posture wound up causing my right hand to go numb. So that's a thing.

My first bike was a KTM supermoto. I'd mostly like to track days. I really don't enjoy riding around in traffic; that being said, weekend rides out into the hill country are nice.

Both the SV and the supersports should have fairly cheap parts. The SV should be cheaper to insure, and as a second bike, I suspect it will be good to put some more miles under my belt without having obscene amounts of power.

I'm leaning towards the SV, but when I think about all the upgrades you can do to make it a track bike (if I keep it for several years), it seems like a supersport makes more sense.