Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chitoryu12 posted:

Chip makes occasional updates on Patreon. He says they're almost ready to restart uploading videos, but he's been very busy with being back at Volition and creating as big a backlog as possible so they can keep up regular updates again.

Looking forward to the continuing adventures of Good Dad, Bad Dad, and That rear end in a top hat. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LP-adjacent, Spikevegeta and iateyourpie have been doing a speedrunning race marathon all month. Good games, bad games, ones they know, ones they were blind on, it all came down to tonight, Mario Party 3 on very hard. Last time they did that it took 18 hours.

6 hours in it ate Spike's savefile.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Oh, Game Grumps did an episode of Mario Party with guest star...Jaime Lee Curtis?!?

Wait, they did a video of Mario Kart 8 with Brian Regan, too? :psyboom:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Jamie Lee Curtis mains Cammy in Street Fighter and goes to tournaments with her son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBFWsRLZAIE

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 9, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well this is novel. Guy's doing an LP and post commentary talking to himself too. And the editing's really solid, there's like no gaps to speak of between a reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOXP4lxbLRY

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Chip worked at Volition? Small world.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Someone tell him to go back and finish Freespace 3. :colbert:
I bet the IP can be bought cheap, considering the Interplay lawyers who have it seem to live in a shed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DTaeKim posted:

Chip worked at Volition? Small world.

And just returned there!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Can you imagine... Getting paid to play videogames... Nice...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Don't forget to tighten up those graphic on level 3.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

My brother worked there earlier this decade. Wonder if they ever crossed paths.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

DTaeKim posted:

omg you are LP Superstar adjacent man, you are so lucky.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Well this is novel. Guy's doing an LP and post commentary talking to himself too. And the editing's really solid, there's like no gaps to speak of between a reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOXP4lxbLRY

When Nolan started voicing the dialogue on screen i though "Dude, please don't be a noob and read the text out l- oh wait

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DTaeKim posted:

my uncle works at nintendo

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
My uncle works at nintendo too! I wonder if theyve ever met?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Just checked, my brother was laid off prior to the time Chip would've worked there. Seriously though, small world.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DTaeKim posted:

Just checked, my brother was laid off prior to the time Chip would've worked there. Seriously though, small world.

tell your bro to unionize

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DTaeKim's brother of the world, unite

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what’s up with game grumps going from their newer overproduced and unappealing designs to essentially baffling anti clickbait and back to their old classical designs for their video thumbnails

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Maybe they use clickbait for one-offs and standard thumbnails for a series?

Doubt they finish Twilight Princess though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Maybe they use clickbait for one-offs and standard thumbnails for a series?

Doubt they finish Twilight Princess though.
Tp is ridiculously easy though

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

So what’s up with game grumps going from their newer overproduced and unappealing designs to essentially baffling anti clickbait and back to their old classical designs for their video thumbnails

dan was out so arin was making one offs as silly characters.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Calaveron posted:

Tp is ridiculously easy though

Yes but this is Arin we're talking about.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Yes but this is Arin we're talking about.

He did finish Ninja Gaiden, though.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Calaveron posted:

I hope they go back to the classics. The new format of their titles is actually incredibly awful. I know they have to deal with YouTube algorithms and whatever but it’s gross.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Y'know Spiffing Brit? His channel is probably going to be deleted. It turns out shutter stock don't like you using their images on videos even with their watermark without a license.

Who could've seen this coming?

Anyway, if you go to his temporarily still existing channel and look at the community page, you can read some gems. I would quote some but I'm on mobile and can't seem to copy text from the app.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Knobb Manwich posted:

Y'know Spiffing Brit? His channel is probably going to be deleted. It turns out shutter stock don't like you using their images on videos even with their watermark without a license.

Anyway, if you go to his temporarily still existing channel and look at the community page, you can read some gems. I would quote some but I'm on mobile and can't seem to copy text from the app.

Screenshot

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

KirbyKhan posted:

Screenshot

gently caress that.

Anyhow.

Spiff's two gimmicks are ha ha ironic British sterotype/nationalism and using Shutterstock images complete with watermark for emphasis. He and a few of the other HOI4 youtubers also abuse the gently caress out of zooms, tilting the screen, colouring, sudden cuts etc for emphasis. Bias warning, even though I want to like the content I hate his style to the point I won't watch. His channel has really exploded in popularity in the last six months.

He is currently making $1600 a month off of patreon. Shutterstock is loving expensive tbh. For 750 images/month, which is overkill even for him, it's $249/m on a yearly plan.

Spiff admits he done hosed up. He is minimising and being a bit of a piss baby about Shutterstock not coming to play with him though.

Spiff posted:

I have less than 7 Days to have the strikes removed or youtube terminates my channel. As this could be the end allow me to explain my mistake so that others dont make it.

Using watermarked stock images still holds the copyright of the person who owns them. (Some stock photo websites allow free use without payment). Normally when this happens a company claims the video and they take the revenue from it. This is a shame but honestly, I am fine with that. Shutterstock however, decided to issue a takedown on 6 of my videos. A takedown simply deletes the video and youtube tells me off. Normally this is a system used for things like fully uploading Shrek 2 to youtube. Alas, not today.

If I am honest I am rather scared. I have spent 3 years working on this channel and in the last few months, we have created something wonderful together. I couldn't have asked for a nicer communi-TEA to form around me. Thank you for all of the likes on videos and the comments and the patreons. They have changed my life. I don't want this to be the end of my channel so I will fight it to the best of my abilities and in the future learn from the mistake I made. I certainly won't risk it.

I see a few ways of resolving it. Firstly trying to argue for fair use. This is probably not going to work given that the images are not the focus of the video. Secondly trying to buy off shutterstock and paying them for the images + extra and damages. This is my preferred option however, shutterstock are just sending me around a loop of people for the last week and not allowing me to actually sort this out.

I don't have enough experience or money to take anyone to court so that is off the table. especially as I am technically in the wrong here for showing watermarked images for 5 seconds. At least when you use 5 seconds of a song they only claim the video rather than copyright strike it :D

Let's hear from the Communi-TEA.

2nd highest rated comment brain genius posted:

I am actually pretty sure that Shutterstock is incapable of legally backing up their claim. You really should contact that Legal Eagle YouTuber they keep talking about and figure out exactly how much of a case you really have. This sounds like Corporate Abuse of a Public Figure to me.

You were getting some good pictures from Shutterstock, and I *was* considering looking them up again to see what kind of shenanigans I could get up to, *until they pulled this stunt*.

If anything you are a form of free advertising for them, *they should owe you money*.

Again, you should really speak to a Lawyer who specializes in this field, such as the YouTuber Legal Eagle they keep talking about, and explore what legal options you have.

if it bleeds posted:

I’m getting sick of this predatory bullshit.

"i read [b posted:

a [/b] license agreement once"]
i love that their website clearly says something along the lines of "free stock images for your creative purposes." where the gently caress did that go? gently caress Shutterstock.

false advertising!!! posted:

Shutterstock should be in the wrong here, their website says FREE images that you can use. Apparently that was a loving lie, but it's also false advertisement.

someone think of the creators posted:

Shutterstock should be ashamed. They're too stuck up to allow someone - who's livelihood relies upon the videos they produce - to use their images from their list of, quote-on-quote, "free stock images," and decide the best course of action is to permanently delete your entire channel because of an image you used for five seconds - with a watermark, might I mind. I wish you luck, Spiff: go and give 'em hell!

tubepocalypse posted:

YouTube thinks this is a smart move, i think not, this is the beginning of the end for them.

euro conspiracy posted:

Mmmmm... artical thirteen and more everyone! It's a miracle how this comment hasn't been done dirty and 🅱️een 🅱️eleted by some company so small, that it DEPENDS AND STAYS AFLOAT by suing/C.striking/reporting every content creator they can! This is just, stupid caus we, the community, cant do jack sh#t to stop this! Unbelievable!

creators for world peace posted:

I'M FRICKEN MAD AT YOUTUBE THERE DISTROING THE VERY FOUNDATION THEY WERE BUILT ON AND GITTING RID OF ALL THE GOOD HARDWORKING YOUTUBERS WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO GET BY AND MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE!!!!!!!

There are a decent amount of people going "Yeah... that's how it works, we thought you were including the watermark as a meme. Good luck." A looooooot of people saying contact the youtube lawyer. Maybe contact a real lawyer but poo poo dude you are hosed.

There was a great comment complaining about persecution and Spiff being singled out but I refreshed and can't find it anymore. :mad:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I've enjoyed some of his videos, but yeah a lot of his style rubs me the wrong way, like his insistence on asking you to like the video at the start of every video, and that dumb "Boom, I've cut into a part of the video where you didn't expect me!" thing. Kinda surprised that he admits fault at all, really,

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48&t=12s

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I still miss the mdc, who never went through protracted legal issues

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone happen to know of a decent lp of asscreed odessey? Been thinking of grabbing it but I don't know, heard bad things about asscreed nowadays so I wanna see a bunch of gameplay first.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Knobb Manwich posted:

It seemed like he ran entirely on using stock photos, which felt kinda pointless to me. Why not just get the royalty free ones anyways? :shrug:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nalesh posted:

Anyone happen to know of a decent lp of asscreed odessey? Been thinking of grabbing it but I don't know, heard bad things about asscreed nowadays so I wanna see a bunch of gameplay first.

Stejo has a block of those vids up. Very casual play, just kinda stumbles onto map markers. I'd recommend skipping ahead a bunch of videos because nothing kills those games harder than experiencing the tutorial more than once.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It seemed like he ran entirely on using stock photos, which felt kinda pointless to me. Why not just get the royalty free ones anyways? :shrug:

He's still posting, however the stock images appear to now have his own copyright on them.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He thought they were royalty free, used them as a central gimmick, didn't look into it at all despite relying so heavily on it.

ellspurs posted:

He's still posting, however the stock images appear to now have his own copyright on them.

This is amazing by the way, I wasn't aware he'd done that. He's such a pissbaby, shutterstock should've murdered him :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pffffff thats even funnier.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Knobb Manwich posted:

This is amazing by the way, I wasn't aware he'd done that. He's such a pissbaby, shutterstock should've murdered him :allears:

They were more concerned about being paid, and he apparently worked out some kind of deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there anybody entertaining doing Fire Emblem: Three Houses? Everybody I've tried is either skipping ahead and not taking their time or treating it like a bad open mic night or, worse, both.