Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do Brave USBs work? I haven't gotten one and just by reading some of the relics it sounds like you do follow up attacks, but they get stronger each time. Also there has to be a catch otherwise there's no point in there being a level 0 and now level 1 since doing the USB sets it past those levels.

You know how Burst Soul Breaks replace your attack and defend with different commands? Braves are like that, except they only replace the Attack command, and it gets stronger the more you use a particular kind of ability. For example, Rinoa's brave increases in power with Black Magic, so I would use a Black Magic spell to ramp up the bravery command to level 3, and then use the command. You can power it up as much as you like during the duration of the buff, similar to how Burst commands will eventually go away, but level 3 is the strongest level.

EDIT: Right, using it up will reset the charges. This ain't no Squall BSB situation.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Personally, I got most of the good VIII stuff the first time, all I'm missing would be Laguna Chain and Quistis Glint. Got no interest in Fire Squall since I have quite good fire teams already.

The V stuff recurs after 4A on what is a better banner for me, Bartz/Kelger/Galuf/Faris works better for a Torment clear for me than Bartz/Lenna/Krile/Faris. Lenna's good but I've seen D??? clears without any USB from her -- and we should be getting Torment Fabula Priestess at the same time, I think?

Dissidia dark will be really tempting as well if it comes first... but probably not as tempting as TGC AASB banner. I might throw it one or two just to see what I get, though.

Anything left over from 4A B3 spam will probably go to the Core banner since Tyro USB4 and Elarra USB2 look real nice for general purposes.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Avalerion posted:

There's the second go at all the good VIII stuff, the V event where everyone switches elements and possibility we'll get the disidia dark awakenings one before 4th aniv rather than after.

Yeah, I think it still really depends on your relics. My ice game is still pretty poo poo, so I'll probably take a stab at Quinoa v2. Also, that Dissidia banner is a one stop dark shop and I've really been neglecting dark and holy because they were the furthest away magicites.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How do Brave USBs work? I haven't gotten one and just by reading some of the relics it sounds like you do follow up attacks, but they get stronger each time. Also there has to be a catch otherwise there's no point in there being a level 0 and now level 1 since doing the USB sets it past those levels.

The catch is that using the brave resets charges to zero. Since the usbs themselves start you with two charges, you would use USB (+2 charges), use an ability (+1 charge), use the brave command (-3 charges), then optimally use 3 more abilities then one more brave command.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Avalerion posted:

The catch is that using the brave resets charges to zero. Since the usbs themselves start you with two charges, you would use USB (+2 charges), use an ability (+1 charge), use the brave command (-3 charges), then optimally use 3 more abilities then one more brave command.
Come to think of it, in that sense Thancred BSB2 is a proto-BUSB. It has the same sort of charge-then-dump mechanic, just spread out across two commands (fast 1.0, fast 1.8/4 -> fast 8.8/8 from 0 to 4 charges). Also it's not connected to an infuse or any other sort of self-buff so it's pretty bad outside of the Longgui fight where it's instead :mediocre:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Famfrit is down! :hellyeah: I've had the pieces for a while, but couldn't seem to get the rhythm down quite right. Last weekend I got off my butt and did some proper inheritance on my magicite deck, and that gave me a lot more breathing room. I made a few attempts a couple days ago, and today I pulled it off! It shouldn't be too rng dependent, but it is very execution heavy, so farming up three more copies is going to be a bit exhausting. Here's my janky rear end setup:

Queen USB
Orlandeau OSB
Josef USB
Eiko BSB, USB
Lightning glint, BSB2, USB

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
getting back into this after not playing since the first year it was out. Anything I really need to know or do to get running?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

AlexJade posted:

getting back into this after not playing since the first year it was out. Anything I really need to know or do to get running?

Quite a lot. Do the library missions for free relics and pull on the realm banners for cheap stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

AlexJade posted:

Make sure to do the free daily relic draw every day. The chances of getting a good thing are way better now.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
And now a more in-depth analysis of the shop and its pricing: Tldr version at the bottom.

Your options here are orbs, motes, upgrade materials, growth eggs, and the sets.

Since these are gem only, you'll have to compare its usefulness to the three other things you can spend gems on. Which are stamina refreshes, pulls, and continues. You don't earn gems over time like mythril does, either. This makes it much more subjective, since people value different things and their money in different ways, but there's still some conclusions to be found here.

Continues are generally not a good buy. Chances are anything you get killed by is either better suited by another try, or is so strong that no amount of continues will get you over it. Especially since, these days, most actually difficult content in the game won't take your stamina unless you actually beat it, and won't allow continues at all.

The value of a relic pull varies based on how many relics you have, duplicates, current banners, current prices, and if you have enough for the 10-pull or not. If there's a choice banner or other high value banner available, and enough gems for it, the worse off the shop is, relatively. But some people always get gently caressed by the RNG. The closest comparison are the one-time single draw dollar pulls you always get on a new banner, which are of questionable value.

About the most direct comparison is comparing stamina refreshes. Because the shop sells farmable items, this is its main competitor. The basic idea here is, the more maximum stamina you have, the more value you'll get out of a stamina refresh.

For orbs, an 80 stamina cost dungeon run will net you a minimum of two 5*s and a eight 3* orbs. Average returns are difficult to calculate exactly here, but you'll generally get at least 2 more 5* orbs worth of drops per run. (With the occasional 3* drop bringing the average down, but the occasional 5* drop and the rare appearance of pots bringing it way up.)
Ignoring gil costs, this gives you an average of at least 1 major orb per 20 stamina spent.

100 gems will get you ten 5* orbs of your choice. To get similiar results, you'd need a maximum stamina of at least 200.
AND you'd need that particular orb daily to be open, which is not guaranteed.

The xp dungeon numbers vary, but going there on sunday using two characters equipped with the two superior xp materia will net you 22080 xp per energy on average.

100 gems worth of growth eggs will net you 2,500,000 xp. Using our number of 22080 xp per energy, we get... the sunday xp dungeon being superior if you have 114 stamina or more.

If you don't have the good materia, and it's not sunday, you can expect 13260 xp per energy. Which means stamina is a better deal at 188 or more energy.

If you have the good xp materia, the non-sunday xp dungeon will average 17964, meaning stamina is a better deal at 134 or higher.

For motes, you average 10 stamina per mote if you can clear the dungeon at all, and 6 stamina per mote if you can get the under 30 clears.
100 gems will get you 5 motes. Meaning to break even you'd need a max stamina of... 50. Which is less than the minimum amount of stamina you'd need to enter the dungeon in the first place.
This is an extremely bad deal no matter how you slice it. If you can't beat the 4* mote dungeons, you don't need 4* motes yet. You'll get plenty free from events and raids. DO NOT BUY MOTES FOR GEMS. Easily the worst deal in the market.

I have few numbers for upgrade materials, but ten 5* materials costs 100 gems. if you do an 80 stamina clear, you'll get at least six 5* upgrade materials, and another four 5* materials worth of lesser materials. Meaning if you have at least 80 stamina, just refresh instead. Don't buy upgrade materials for gems.

TLDR; the shop is of dubious value. It's a better value for newer players, but as you get more max stamina it just gets worse and worse. Orbs are the best bargain, but if you have some spare gems just spend it on those dollar pulls. Or as part of a mythril pull.
For raw character xp, the shop is probably not worth it especially if you need mastery or materia xp.
For orbs, you can get better use out of a stamina refresh if you have 200 max stamina or more, and that particular daily is open, or if you need crystals.
For upgrade materials and motes, the shop is total garbage- if you have the stamina to do the dungeons, just buy stamina instead if you want to spend gems to farm faster.

The packages are better deals than the basic shop items.

Or just spend your dollar on something else than gacha phone games, idiot.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 29, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Here's that end of the month FFIV event:

First thing's first, Cecil (Paladin) has been adjusted to have White Magic 5.
Next, Rubicante finally gets his legend sphere!

Rubicante Legend Materia posted:

Rubicante LM1: Fire Damage +10%
Rubicante LM2: 35% chance to Dualcast Fire abilities
Rubicante LMR: En-Fire for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Two Awakenings this event: one for each Cecil. Cecils + Palom and Porom new relics are on Banner 1, Edge and Rubicante's new relics are on Banner 2.

Banner 1 posted:

Paladin Cecil's Holy Fang [AASB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Holy/NE physical or white magic attacks, En-Holy, Holy Awakening Mode & Break Damage Cap Level 1 to user and 75% Damage Reduction Barrier to party
Holy Awakening Mode: Unlimited Holy Hones, Holy Ability Boost, Dualcast Holy
Dark Knight Cecil's Dark Claw [AASB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Dark/NE physical attacks, En-Dark, Darkness Awakening Mode, Break Damage Cap Level 1 & Evil Sword to user
Darkness Awakening Mode: Unlimited Darkness Hones, Darkness Ability Boost, Dualcast Darkness
Evil Sword: After using 2 Darkness abilities, chases with 8 single-target Dark/NE physical attacks, ?% maxHP recoil, multiplier & critical rate increases with each Chase

Palom's Gokuu Pole [AOSB, +10 MAG] - 3 single-target Fire/Lightning/Ice Overflow magic attacks
Paladin Cecil's Excalibur II [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Holy Overflow physical attacks
Dark Knight Cecil's Demonslayer [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Dark Overflow physical attacks

Porom's Cat-ear Hood [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal, High Quick Magic 2 & Last Stand to party, Instant Cast, Tiny Curaga to user
Tiny Curaga: After using 2 White Magic abilities, grants party h25 heal, h?? if Palom is in party
Palom's Mirage Rod [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Lightning/Ice magic attacks, En-Lightning, MAG & RES +30% and Black Magic Ability Double to user

Palom's Cloud Staff [Glint, +10 MAG] - Weakness Damage +30% & High Quick Cast 2 to user, Instant Cast
Porom's Nirvana [Glint, +10 MND] - Protect, Shell, Haste to party, Instant Cast
Paladin Cecil's Crystal Helm [Glint, +10 ATK] - En-Holy, En-Holy Stack & High Quick Knight to user, Instant Cast
Dark Knight Cecil's Demon Shield [Glint, +10 ATK] - 100% Stoneskin & Darkness Ability Boost to user, Instant Cast

Palom's Sage's Robe [LMR, +10 MAG] - BLK Damage +25% with Rod equipped
Paladin Cecil's Crystal Shield [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Knight abilities
Dark Knight Cecil's Arondight [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle

Banner 2 posted:

Kain's Brionac [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Lightning Overflow jump attacks

Golbez's Demon's Rod [CSB, +10 MAG] - Activates Dark Limit Chain (150) & 50% Dark Field, MAG +50% to party

Edge's Ame-no-Murakumo [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Water/Poison physical attacks, Instant Cast, Physical Blink 1, Last Stand & Haste to party
Rubicante's Dark Claw [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Fire/Dark magic attacks, Imperil Fire, En-Fire & Quick Cast 3 to user, 75% Fire Radiant Shield to party
Golbez's Meister Rod [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Dark/NE magic attacks, En-Dark, 99% maxHP recoil, 100% Stoneskin & Shadow Dragon Mode to user
Shadow Dragon Mode: Dualcast Darkness & chases with single-target Dark/NE Overflow magic attack when status is removed, multiplier is dependent on number of Darkness abilities used during it; Disappears simultaneously with Stoneskin
Kain's Holy Lance [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Lightning jump attacks, En-Lightning, No Air Time 2 & Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Dragoon Abilities
Level 0: Single-target Lightning jump attack
Level 1~3: Single-target Lightning Overflow jump attack

Barbariccia's Dagger [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Wind/NE magic attacks, En-Wind, MAG & RES +30% and Fair Wind to user
Fair Wind: After using Wind abilities, chases with 5 single-target Wind/NE magic attacks

Golbez's Giant's Axe [Glint, +10 MAG] - Quick Magic & Darkness Ability Boost to user, Instant Cast

Rubicante's Duel Claw [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Fire for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Kain's Thunder Shield [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Lightning for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Edge's Cloak [LMR, +10 ATK] - When using Ninja abilities, 25% chance to grant user Physical Blink 1
Golbez's Bascinet [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Golbez's Earthbreaker [LMR, +10 MAG] - 25% chance to Dualcast Darkness
Barbariccia's Guise [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Wind for 25 seconds at the start of battle
I think Rubicante's USB is the first Imperil + En-Element SB? Edge's USB2 is just a damaging update of his SSB2, but it IS a +Water Katana as well. Interestingly, Paladin Cecil has the first hybrid split for physical and white magic.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Pencil not only gets WMagic 5; its native, so he gets WMagic 6 and can cast curada.

Theres also a new Dash Select, which will cost :10bux: instead of the usual 5, but gives you a whole mess of materials (motes, orbs, etc) and a selection of AOSB+USB and a Medica USB. Usually USB1.
Like all selects, some realms fair better than others; XIV is stuck with Ysh's USB1 (lol)
Butz meanwhile gets his AOSB and Chicken Knife

Dash Draw posted:

WoL A/U1 + Sarah U1
Firion A/U1 + Minwu U1
Luneth A/U1 + Arc U2
Pecil A/U1 + Rosa U1
Bartz A/U1 + Lenna U1
Locke A/U1 + Relm U1
Cloud A/U1 + Aerith U1
Squall A/U1 + Selphie U1
Zidane A/U1 + Eiko U1
Tidus A/U1 + Yuna U1
Shantotto A/U + Aphmau U
Vaan A/U1 + Penelo U1
Lightning A/U1 + Vanille U1
Papalymo A/U + Y'shtola U1 (lol)
Noctis A/U1 + Iris U
Ramza A/U2 + Ovelia U1
Ace A/U1 + Deuce U1

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Squall usb1 on there also isn't looking too hot.

Who knows what I'll have pulled by then, but V and X look really temping right now.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Avalerion posted:

Squall usb1 on there also isn't looking too hot.

Who knows what I'll have pulled by then, but V and X look really temping right now.

Honestly I feel like your best options in general are those two - Ramza is fine if you need holy stuff (and Ovelia USB1 is legitimately good tech) but on a lot of these, you've either got DPS USBs that are creaky and dated now (Squall USB1, Pencil USB1, Ace USB1), healer USBs that were creaky and outdated a month after they came out (Vanille USB1, Ysh USB1, Lenna USB1), or both.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
75% damage reduction barrier on pecils AASB sounds different than the stoneskin buff. Is that a 75%reduction in all damage for the party or is it a stoneskin shield that is 75% of max hp? If it's the first and isnt just a one time barrier then say hello to new wall.

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 29, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

saltylopez posted:

75% damage reduction barrier on pecils AASB sounds different than the stoneskin buff. Is that a 75%reduction in all damage for the party or is it a stoneskin shield that is 75% of max hp? If it's the first and isnt just a one time barrier then say hello to new wall.

Looking at Reddit, it looks like "next three attacks do 1/4th damage". So it's like a slightly less effective blink that actually blunts unblinkable things?

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
That's how Im reading it yeah

Pencil's later tech has made him into a crazy tough wall of a char. Im tempted to make it a pull target; with his Wall USB and Glint that I already have, he could replace a Wmage and still put out respectable damage with Guardbringer on holy teams

Edit: Went to tackle the D280 for FFX and came in at 29.52. Talk about cutting it close

Arcon fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 29, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Stoneskin got a buff?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Stoneskin got a buff?

Yea, doesn't block you from getting sb gauge anymore. In JP anyway, dunno if Global has that yet.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Stoneskin got a buff?
Oh, yes. This was a balance change from a bit ago in JP:

Balance Change posted:

1) 0 damage attacks will now provide SB points. No points as usual if the attack misses.
2) 0 damage attacks can remove Sleep/Confuse status.
3) Attacks blocked by Magicite's Elemental Blinks will now show "Miss" instead of "0"
4) When receiving damage that exceeds 9999/99999, damage reduction from Cover & Blade/Spell Ward will be applied before the cap
Basically, you can receive SB and break the statuses that are breakable with Attack through Stoneskin bubbles now. It's a complete buff.
(Magicite Ward abilities are nerfed a bit : assuming a 20000 damage attack;

Before: 20000 -> 9999 - 8% Ward = 9199
Now: 20000 - 8% Ward = 18400 -> 9999)

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
so the party that I had at all 50 was golbez, cloud, seph, paladin cecil and the FFRK main dude. Are there abilities I should focus on with this golden festival dropping crystals like crazy?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Re: IV - good god that banner 1 is stacked, pretty much every 6* there is worth having, if not chasing, and even most of the 5*s are pretty decent.

The new Full Throttle pull is pretty good - kinda surprised no one brings up the XI pull, frankly. Yeah, I know it's a less-common realm, but it's also an ability double USB and supporting ASB plus a nice speed meta healer USB. Pretty likely to be what I'll take if they end up being the same and I don't get any of the pieces.

AlexJade posted:

so the party that I had at all 50 was golbez, cloud, seph, paladin cecil and the FFRK main dude. Are there abilities I should focus on with this golden festival dropping crystals like crazy?

It's probably less important who you have leveled than who you have good soul breaks for. If you have chains and USBs for people, consider their wants first - black mages will want whatever chain -aga/-aja matches their preferred element(s), spellblades will want their preferred element spellblade, etc. Of note - most of the stuff that uses crystals is locked behind pretty high-end content so if you're earlier in the game it'll probably be way more useful for you to farm major orbs. For 5* abilities for the guys you mentioned, Golbez will probably want Memento Mori, Dread Heal, and Dark Zone; Sephiroth Dread Weapon and either Sanguine Cross or Crimson Cross (or just a second copy of Dread Weapon if you're worried about recoil killing you); Pecil tends to be tanky so he'd favor Divine Cross & Guardbringer over Assault Saber, though all are useful to have. Tyro can use basically everything but typically acts like a support, so get him Full Break and/or various dances, etc. Cloud's sort of in a weird place as he's gone from favoring nonelemental to favoring wind to starting to look at Dark - depending on what you do with him, he might want the wind Quadstrike, or he might want the Dark-oriented Heavy Combat abilities.

If you really want to farm for long-term, I think the general consensus is that Black/Ice/Lightning crystals are the best ones to farm, but Power/Earth/Holy and Darkness/Wind/Fire are decent combinations if you intend to use Knight/Darkness users too. I'd avoid White/Non/Summoning past clears for the guaranteed stuff, those are mostly niche.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It's a shame magic fire is so ridiculously competitive because Rubicante's USB would be fantastic otherwise. If it was given to, say, Barb, and wind elemental.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Terra Rubi Vincent is probably gonna be the top fire mage team even so.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, no other SB in the game has all three effects, and most only have one. Rubicante gives you enelement, imperil, and a fire-coded Radiant. He and Vincent alone could probably solo-DPS the ice magicites.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What kind of hones can I get away with for the 3* magicites? Honing up these Earth Knight abilities for Dorgann is pain because of how much Holy Orbs I need.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Start with r3, hone more if you find yourself running out.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

What kind of hones can I get away with for the 3* magicites? Honing up these Earth Knight abilities for Dorgann is pain because of how much Holy Orbs I need.

YMMV but I think I tend to use about 8 abilities in a 3* fight so 2 r2s normally

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
So I just completed all the 3 star magicites once each. How should I start on the 4 stars? Grind out a 3 star magicite team with my strongest element team? Is having the dmg reduction or empower better?

poe meater fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 30, 2018

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

poe meater posted:

So I just completed all the 3 star magicites once each. How should I start on the 4 stars? Grind out a 3 star magicite team with my strongest element team? Is having the dmg reduction or empower better?

4* are a big step up, maxing out some of the 3* magicites can help you bridge it. The main ones worth it are Enkidu (heal + esuna), Unicorn (astra), and most elements have one that imperils (like Shadow dragon from dark, or Mom Bomb from fire). The passives aren't as strong so you may not want to spend time maxing a full set for each element, since you'll end up replacing them with 4* ones anyway. The defensive ones are mostly not worth it I found but can help if you're struggling to survive vs a particular boss - keep in mind they aren't available until 10s into a fight though so you've gotta be able to last a while without it anyway. But if you're particularly strong in one element, and can manage to kill one of the 4* you may want to just start there - farming a full set of 4* magicite is much more worth your time, since they'll help you move around the circle and you will need them for eventually moving to 5* anyway.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Indecisive posted:

4* are a big step up, maxing out some of the 3* magicites can help you bridge it. The main ones worth it are Enkidu (heal + esuna), Unicorn (astra), and most elements have one that imperils (like Shadow dragon from dark, or Mom Bomb from fire). The passives aren't as strong so you may not want to spend time maxing a full set for each element, since you'll end up replacing them with 4* ones anyway. The defensive ones are mostly not worth it I found but can help if you're struggling to survive vs a particular boss - keep in mind they aren't available until 10s into a fight though so you've gotta be able to last a while without it anyway. But if you're particularly strong in one element, and can manage to kill one of the 4* you may want to just start there - farming a full set of 4* magicite is much more worth your time, since they'll help you move around the circle and you will need them for eventually moving to 5* anyway.

What this guy said, 4* ARE a big step up, but the way you beat them isn't really going to be maxing a ton of 3*s and inheriting, it's going to be having good, cohesive teams with a chain. I do recommend maxing some 3*s but don't bother with inheritance, just beat each magicite a few times, definitely max unicorn + enkidu and try to max the imperil ones but really just try the 4*s once you feel you've got a good team.

Yeah the easiest thing for 4* is to pick one you're really strong in and start there. I have a super strong water team (edge/yuffie/tidus all full dived and with USBs etc) and super strong wind team (buttz/cloud/zack USBs, chain etc), but my earth was super weak so I beat maliris first and pushed around from there; eventually got good enough earth going to beat ixion.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah I blindly tried some of them with my strongest teams and got washed lol. Thanks for the tips.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

poe meater posted:

Yeah I blindly tried some of them with my strongest teams and got washed lol. Thanks for the tips.

I'd also lookup some info on them on like reddit, some of the fights you don't need both shellga and protectga so you can forgo one and stuff like that. I would recommend leveling some of the 3*s the +/- damage does help, but you probably don't need to max everything; also make sure everyone is wearing resist accessories/gear and +ele dmg gear.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

MF_James posted:

it's going to be having good, cohesive teams with a chain.

A chain is not mandatory at all. It sure makes your life easier, but if you have decent relics, don't be afraid to try an element just because you're missing a chain.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

eelmonger posted:

A chain is not mandatory at all. It sure makes your life easier, but if you have decent relics, don't be afraid to try an element just because you're missing a chain.

Yes, true enough, my water team doesn't chain at all and I could do a few others without chains, I would imagine a few would be difficult without it though

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Definitely don't feel like you need a chain to do any of the 4* magicites. Not having a chain might necessitate grinding some magicites to make things easier though. The new 5* abilities from the torments also didn't exist when 4* came out and they can make things a bit easier for you as well if you're having trouble. The D240's should be doable at least assuming you have some okay relics for the respective realms.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
What's a typical loadout for beating a 280 torment? The only one I've finished is the Tactics one. I know I've got great gear for 5 and maybe 10 or 15, but I really have gotten very far past the 50% mark for them.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I usually just roll Elarra, TGC, whoever the Realm's White Mage is and two filler on-realm DPS, whoever I have best relics for. And just brute force it. If I can blow all my 18 charges of rear end Saber it's already most of the way dead. A couple OSBs and some helping hands from the filler put it over the top.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

3 DPS, a support/buffer, and a healer are usually what I bring to the 280's. Usually I bring an off realm buffer unless I have a really good one in realm or a healer if the healer sucks and I have a good buffer. It really depends on what you have. One off realm character is fine, and two off realm can be doable but will cut down a lot on your dps unless it's really good. Generally I bring onion knight with his pUSB/mUSB as the off realm character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
It's the standard loadout, you're just stuck bringing mostly people from one realm. The good news is that 280s are still doable with a couple outside folks, so you can drop in OK if you're missing a buffer or Elarra if you're missing a good healer. DPS is a bit trickier since they won't benefit from/contribute to the realm chain, but you can also get away with ability spam/BSBs for a DPS.