Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://i.imgur.com/CrXjLTJ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can you photogs with iPhones explain this article on action shooting apps to me?:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/story/id1374025942
It just looks like horrible poo poo, given the examples?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Can you photogs with iPhones explain this article on action shooting apps to me?:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/story/id1374025942
It just looks like horrible poo poo, given the examples?

Looks like a dumb gimmick that makes no sense. "slow shutter cam" is the opposite of what you need to freeze action, you need lightning quick shutter speeds that are not possible with a phone and probably never will be.

Not sure what they are trying to accomplish with that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That looks like garbage poo poo.

It appears they're taking a burst sequence photos and overlaying them with each other and messing with opacity to create a motion blur type effect, and doing it really poorly. It's a curious idea that was maybe worth creating a proof of concept for, but the results make it clear they never should have made an app out of it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xzzy posted:

That looks like garbage poo poo.

It appears they're taking a burst sequence photos and overlaying them with each other and messing with opacity to create a motion blur type effect, and doing it really poorly. It's a curious idea that was maybe worth creating a proof of concept for, but the results make it clear they never should have made an app out of it.

The app was more meant to imitate long exposure shots (including ones made with an ND filter), rather than panning shots, imo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

drgitlin posted:

You just be watching a different series to me then.

Formula E is most certainly garbage racing- the cars are bad, the tracks are bad, gently caress THE GIMMICKS and really there is no redeeming value in trying to sit down and watch ugly cars pfffffft in single file. Even the so called highlights package is boring as gently caress.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Watch the support race this year and think “wow some stupid rear end in a top hat I know online worked on designing that”

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The app was more meant to imitate long exposure shots (including ones made with an ND filter), rather than panning shots, imo

That's all well and good besides the fact that long exposure for motorsports is pretty much useless. Unless it's a night race like during Sebring and you want to make a bunch of light trails and poo poo, otherwise there's no point.

I get what they're trying to do, it just doesn't work and looks very artificial.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Right there with you

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Larrymer posted:

:aaaaa: Every time I'm blown away by Nick's fab work. They have quite a few slick tricks to get stuff done that always make me smile. The plasma cutter circle cutout this time was pretty awesome.

Compare and contrast Project Binky with B Is For Build's current M5-in-a-S30-Z project.
That said, he's *doing something*, which is somewhat more than me.

Hello Spaceman posted:

By the time you could afford one there might not be any left.

Pretty much.
Eh, I'll just buy/built 4 of something else, most likely.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Right there with you

If you want to get decent shots at a motorsports event you need a DSLR, a fast lens, and good technique.

The hardest thing to learn is the sweet spot where you have just enough shutter speed to keep the car in focus, but blur the background and wheels a bit to convey speed. Takes practice, but once you learn it's like riding a bike.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bape Culture posted:

Watch the support race this year and think “wow some stupid rear end in a top hat I know online worked on designing that”

I-Pace trophy or Roborace?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I love the video of a drifter beating a roborace time by almost 30 seconds in his first time ever on the track and driving an electric car.

Truly, a marvelous series.

They really, really should have waited a couple years for tech to mature before starting all this poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well F1 is shedding viewers every year (not just F1, all motorsports are) so they've been in a panic for a while trying to come up with a way to get millenials to give a poo poo about fast cars. EV's are inevitable even if the tech isn't there yet so it makes sense to try.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah, but it's doing the opposite. Aside from tech nerds, no one is liking it, least of all racing fans.

It was a novelty at first, but now it's just boring. Starting it up with the car swap was idiotic, the only series that does poo poo like that is MotoGP and that's literally only because it's too hard to swap tires if it starts/stops raining.

They can pull all the names they want, but it's a retirement home or a home for guys who can't make it in any other series. Manufacturers are all in, but that's because it's cheap and they can try to say they're using it for test purposes while spending less than they would in a real racing series. When the VC funding dries up, they'll disappear.

It's a circus act, and not even a good one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well F1 is shedding viewers every year (not just F1, all motorsports are)

Indycar isn't...

... Because they all went away a decade ago

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Well F1 is shedding viewers every year (not just F1, all motorsports are) so they've been in a panic for a while trying to come up with a way to get millenials to give a poo poo about fast cars. EV's are inevitable even if the tech isn't there yet so it makes sense to try.

WRC's audience numbers and spectactor crowds increased last year - Not too much of a surprise that correlates to the batshit insane new breed of cars that are a mindfuck to watch in person, the audience isnt exactly skewing older either

BTCC view numbers havent really dropped either from what I can find. Certainly they bring out the crowds.

So.... while correlation != causation, there does seem to be a thing that close door handle to door handle racing brings the crowds, or wild cars doing stupid things at stupid speeds likewise does as well and also appeals to all ages. Maaaaybe Formula E could try that instead of dumb rear end gimmicks?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indycar isn't...

... Because they all went away a decade ago

Indy and IMSA are both gaining viewers and ticket sales, also.

Exciting racing brings people in. I've yet to pay for a formula e race, they just give the tickets away. The last one had less people than the dirt track does on an average Saturday night.

I fully understand WHY it exists, just not how anyone can seriously watch it or think it's anything other than a lovely tech exercise.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPEJVHsi_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSZ2GcilS0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pwmRgfIVU

lovely old cars creating more highlights in one lap than Formula Turd

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Just put Swedish folkrace on TV. There is no better door-to-door series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ak7wGPGCc

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just put Swedish folkrace on TV. There is no better door-to-door series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ak7wGPGCc

Rallycross rocks but I think the main Euro series is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YQ8Y3oT8Rs

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Has it been a while since someone has posted SST?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz77pQcIfFg

I feel like we're overdue for some.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Indy and IMSA are both gaining viewers and ticket sales, also.

What about MotoGP? Every time i watch a race the place is packed to the gills.

The huge amount of Rossi fans reminds of Dale Sr. fans back in the 90's it's crazy.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

drgitlin posted:

I-Pace trophy or Roborace?

IPace :)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks like a dumb gimmick that makes no sense. "slow shutter cam" is the opposite of what you need to freeze action, you need lightning quick shutter speeds that are not possible with a phone and probably never will be.
Not sure what they are trying to accomplish with that.
A slow shutter is exactly what you want when panning with a fast car. That’s what’ll blur the scenery, while your panning keeps the car in focus.
A 1/4000th shutter isn’t really going to help tell a story because the car/bike/truck’s wheels will be frozen in motion and it’ll look like it’s standing still. (There are cases where you want exactly this, but not predominantly.)

This app’s version of a slow shutter is to combine multiple frames. Right name, wrong execution.

Also, an iPhone’s shutter caps out at 1/8000, which is plenty fast. Its slower shutter speeds are limited to about 1/2 or 1/3 of a second, which is still way more than you need for a good panning shot. A decent camera app will let you shoot in shutter priority where you can force the shutter to stick to nice panning speeds like 1/30 or 1/60.

The problem is that at those low shutter speeds you’re letting in way too much light (on a bright, sunny day) and struggle with overexposure - tiny smartphone image sensors with lenses that have relatively large apertures are to blame for this. Proper cameras let you stop down and have sensors with better dynamic range and sensitivity. You can also use ND filters.

Here’s a bad panning shot I just took on my phone, to demonstrate.

And to get back onto car stuff, here are some okay shots taken on my camera, at a rally I attended recently.

(Imgur image resize compression sucks, so if you want a full size of these just remove the l from the filename.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I had always wondered how you get a shot where the wheels are blurred from motion but the car was crisp. Neat!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What about MotoGP? Every time i watch a race the place is packed to the gills.

The huge amount of Rossi fans reminds of Dale Sr. fans back in the 90's it's crazy.

MotoGP never even dropped off. That is a goddamn RABID fanbase.

Also helps that Rossi is a god. A manlet of a god, but still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rossi is still super impressive, too bad his bike sucks and Marquez is doing everything exactly right.

Not that he needs to this year as everyone who could possibly challenge him for the championship keeps crashing out.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Trucker in the front
c y b e r d e c o in the back

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

A slow shutter is exactly what you want when panning with a fast car. That’s what’ll blur the scenery, while your panning keeps the car in focus.
A 1/4000th shutter isn’t really going to help tell a story because the car/bike/truck’s wheels will be frozen in motion and it’ll look like it’s standing still. (There are cases where you want exactly this, but not predominantly.)

This app’s version of a slow shutter is to combine multiple frames. Right name, wrong execution.

Also, an iPhone’s shutter caps out at 1/8000, which is plenty fast. Its slower shutter speeds are limited to about 1/2 or 1/3 of a second, which is still way more than you need for a good panning shot. A decent camera app will let you shoot in shutter priority where you can force the shutter to stick to nice panning speeds like 1/30 or 1/60.

The problem is that at those low shutter speeds you’re letting in way too much light (on a bright, sunny day) and struggle with overexposure - tiny smartphone image sensors with lenses that have relatively large apertures are to blame for this. Proper cameras let you stop down and have sensors with better dynamic range and sensitivity. You can also use ND filters.

I was talking more about freezing action there, like the shot of the Moto3 bike jumping the other bike, so I misspoke relating to panning. I was not aware that an iPhone had that fast of a shutter speed, but what good is it if the sensor/aperture can't keep up with it?

As far as panning to convey speed, yes you want slower shutter speeds, but the speeds that app is using look WAY lower than they need to be. Like I said before, I get what they are trying to do but it just doesn't work and looks hokey. You're never going to get DSLR results with a phone, that was more my point than anything.

It's been awhile since I've shot motorsports, but looking through my stuff the lowest I've gone is about 1/90 in low light.

1/250

1/100

1/90

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yesss the flying lizard car. That's one of my favorite liveries ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My rule of thumb for motorsport panning is the shutter denominator is subject speed times two, then adjust for light. So a car at 80mph starts with a shutter of around 1/160. I prefer to adjust towards a longer shutter because more blur looks more cool to me, but eventually I run into problems with my technique keeping a smooth panning motion. Once I get to 1/80 or slower it's a shitshow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Yesss the flying lizard car. That's one of my favorite liveries ever.

Oh is it livery chat now?

Because this is my favorite ever, it looks so goddamn glorious in the sun.

Andrea Dovizioso by xzzy77, on Flickr

That or the purple hippy porsche.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Big fan of the classic Volvo livery.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I liked it when they put stuffed toy rough collies in the back of the BTCC 850 estates to wind other teams up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

My rule of thumb for motorsport panning is the shutter denominator is subject speed times two, then adjust for light. So a car at 80mph starts with a shutter of around 1/160. I prefer to adjust towards a longer shutter because more blur looks more cool to me, but eventually I run into problems with my technique keeping a smooth panning motion. Once I get to 1/80 or slower it's a shitshow.

Yeah it's a delicate balance, for me it came down to getting the most usable images possible so I didn't like going too low, just enough to convey some speed. I remember experimenting going really low and it not working out well very often, and some of my shots with more blur weren't being sold so i stuck with what was selling which was mostly shots of NASCAR drivers :v:

Other races like Sebring and Indycar i would gently caress around and experiment more because i wasn't selling much of that stuff anyway.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

I liked it when they put stuffed toy rough collies in the back of the BTCC 850 estates to wind other teams up.

I didn't know they did that, that's awesome :yayclod:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nice. I’m still suggesting to them that they need a couple of cars at each race for journalists... ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moto3 jump dude describes his experience:

https://www.autosport.com/moto3/news/136225/moto3-kornfeil-describes-crazy-jump-save

In short: his airbags went off midflight, his dick hurt (not his balls) and he broke his carbon fiber seat in the landing. But otherwise fine.