Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Monster Hunter Stories came out in Japan today, post about that poo poo if you're picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm sure Gaijin Hunter will have a bunch of videos about it in no time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Y'all are really making me want to buy Tokyo Rumble. I loved those games when I was younger, but I kinda assumed they'd be a little too shallow for me now. Am I wrong?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Y'all are really making me want to buy Tokyo Rumble. I loved those games when I was younger, but I kinda assumed they'd be a little too shallow for me now. Am I wrong?

It's super fun, but it's really short. I think it's definitely worth the money just for how fun to play it is, but I would honestly recommend not doing any of the "jobs" until new game+ because some of them are kind of time sink-y and don't unlock until NG+ anyway.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to give Chibi Robo another shot. There's a level where it's possible to get locked in the end level room without having picked up enough cord length to actually finish the level. The only thing you can do is turn the game off and restart the level.

Chibi Robo Zip Lash is a garbage game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Here's something I thought is cool, warning screens from when you put say a Gameboy Color game into the original gameboy. It's image heavy so keep that in mind when clicking the link:
http://www.vgmuseum.com/features/warn/

Most of them has just have the generic "play this on the color console" message, but some of them have some artwork to go with it:

Then there is the Neo Geo Pocket messages:

Check out Capcom vs. SNK if you can because they went even further with this and had 12 different warning screens with nice artwork for each time you put it in a regular Neo Geo Pocket.

Also I found the change from Madden 2001 to 2002 kinda funny.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's like that PS1 game that if you put in a CD player would play a radio drama about the folly of trying to play a game with a CD player

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I loved Symphony of the Night's track for that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uBF2IZHjrAs

Edit: oops, this is the 3DS thread, so I'll post something on topic. For River City Tokyo Rumble's job where you have to lift opponents over your head, it only seems to count it if you throw them.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 9, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Target has Zelda Link Between Worlds for $24.99: http://www.target.com/p/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds-nintendo-3ds/-/A-14710216

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is the streetpass puzzle thing rigged so that if you buy a piece it gives you one you already have?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is the streetpass puzzle thing rigged so that if you buy a piece it gives you one you already have?

Only for you.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Did Nintendo seriously block me from using an R4DS (for the *original* DS!) on my 3DS? When I boot it up it says there's been an error and I need to restart the handheld.

If it matters I haven't looked to see if anything is on the micro SD card, it just came in the mail and I popped it in. I would imagine the built-in OS is on the cart and not the micro SD.

Any idea what's up here and if there's a way to get this thing going? I just wanted to play Portrait of Ruin.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

put the software on the microsd

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

epsilon posted:

Did Nintendo seriously block me from using an R4DS (for the *original* DS!) on my 3DS? When I boot it up it says there's been an error and I need to restart the handheld.

If it matters I haven't looked to see if anything is on the micro SD card, it just came in the mail and I popped it in. I would imagine the built-in OS is on the cart and not the micro SD.

Any idea what's up here and if there's a way to get this thing going? I just wanted to play Portrait of Ruin.

https://www.amazon.com/Castlevania-Portrait-Ruin-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000GIXIPK

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are any of the DS/3DS Castlevania games good?

edit: which is the Castlevania game with all the anime babes?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

All of the DS ones are extremely good. All of the 3DS ones are extremely mediocre

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Guy Goodbody posted:

All of the DS ones are good in one way or another.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

epsilon posted:

You need some software on there but I don't think the original R4 works on 3DS.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Thank you for the assistance. I'll try getting the software set up and see what happens.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Guy Goodbody posted:

Portrait of Ruin is probably the Castlevania game with the highest percentage of anime babes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The DS ones are loving great. Order of Ecclasia is my favorite but just play em all in order

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pureauthor posted:

Portrait of Ruin is probably the Castlevania game with the highest percentage of anime babes.

Thanks, I'll add that to my list

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got the Hookshot in Ocarina of Time. It is really not at all clear what is or is not hookshotable.

Th ghost who gave this thing to me really oversold it

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I got the Hookshot in Ocarina of Time. It is really not at all clear what is or is not hookshotable.

wood and leaves and things that arent dirt or brick or metal except for the target looking things that are metal but those are arbitrarily more ok then other metals

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if an enemy has a nucleus of some kind, that nucleus is very shottable

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I tried the Monster Hunter Stories demo and was glad to see it maintains the MH tradition of having impossible-to-read text.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

the laser pointer gets extra lines around the dot when things are hookshottable, that helped me.

What's the best / most cost-efficient way to upgrade from plain 3DS to a n3DS XL? eBay?

I hope NX has some level of 3DS game support. I have a big monitor and honestly I'd rather play these games in 2d, on that than hunched over a 3Ds, which I don't even use the 3d on.

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 10, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's very lucky that there was a ghost willing to give me a hookshot if I could keep up with him. Not beat him at the race, just keep up with him. If he wanted me to beat him, that wasn't going to happen, and the world is doomed. This is the system the sages or fairies or whatever have come up with for saving the world. jesus christ

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Generally the hookshot can latch onto natural terrain: wood and vines and suchlike. Note that the rooftops in Kakariko are wood shingles. Just throwing that out there.

Oh, and you can stun a lot of enemies with it. It's actually really useful!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's very lucky that there was a ghost willing to give me a hookshot if I could keep up with him. Not beat him at the race, just keep up with him. If he wanted me to beat him, that wasn't going to happen, and the world is doomed. This is the system the sages or fairies or whatever have come up with for saving the world. jesus christ

omg guy, you are so right, ha ha ha

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why didn't the eagles just carry Frodo to Mordor

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man, I hate the loving eagles

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

greatn posted:

Man, I hate the loving eagles
Welcome to the Hotel California.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Silver Falcon posted:

Generally the hookshot can latch onto natural terrain: wood and vines and suchlike. Note that the rooftops in Kakariko are wood shingles. Just throwing that out there.

Oh, and you can stun a lot of enemies with it. It's actually really useful!

I wanna say it can latch onto all climbable surfaces too, like metal grates. Oh, and any and all treasure chests as well. There's one really dumb thing you can latch onto lategame too that doesn't really do anything.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does the full version of Pocket Card Jockey have a mode where I can just play without worrying about cups or my horse aging or whatever?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Argue posted:

Does the full version of Pocket Card Jockey have a mode where I can just play without worrying about cups or my horse aging or whatever?

Nope. But then again if you are not burning with the passion to become the best jockey / solitaire player than what are you even playing PCJ for

What is your avatar from, by the way? I just played through the Wii version of Rhythm Heaven all the way this weekend and it reminds me a lot of the credits sequence.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Nope. But then again if you are not burning with the passion to become the best jockey / solitaire player than what are you even playing PCJ for

What is your avatar from, by the way? I just played through the Wii version of Rhythm Heaven all the way this weekend and it reminds me a lot of the credits sequence.

It's from the GBA game and the credits is remake of it. You can unlock the original in 3DS game with those spheres from completing challenges and perfects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZOOifTqaA

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
There's no setting in the 3Ds somewhere to always play DS games in their original resolution, right? I have to always press start+select?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Just one or the other, no need to press both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Phantom Ganon is a pretty fun bossfight.

I got lost at one point in the Forest Temple and tried to google for tips but got results for every Zelda game. does every Zelda game take place in the same place?