Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alder posted:

I got my 3rd lvl 70 job today but how do you manage the pain of ilvl grind? I still need i325 for Drk but the struggle is real since RDM is next who will share gear with Blm.

Pacing. If you're not savage raiding, there's really no rush for gearing up asap. Do a roulette or two a day, maybe get some rabanasty drops, then focus on something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Cythereal posted:

So, finished Xelphatol and have to say... the Warriors of Darkness are the silliest, dumbest bad guys this game has offered yet, and I'm including the Hildibrand story lines by that measure. Am I supposed to take these gothy idiots seriously?

The Warriors of Darkness are pretty much entirely saved by Arbert's voice actor. They sat that guy in a studio and said "be angry. Be really, really, really angry, all the time, and just send that fury through the microphone" and drat if he didn't do exactly that. They're still kinda stupid and the payoff of their plot is really not worth it but you have to respect that Arbert gives 110% in every cutscene he's voiced.

E: The entire WoD plot in general fails because it's entire point is to elaborate upon the multi-expansion meta-arc of Ascians being dickbags trying to collapse reality for Evil Reasons. But this goal fails before it starts because no one really gives a poo poo about the Ascian plot as they're consistently overshadowed due to the actual expansions playing up elements in Ishgard and later Garlemald as expansion-focused antagonists.

Those same antagonists are more compelling then the Ascians will ever be because they have entire expansions fleshing them out while the Ascians just lurk around in the background being the most generic of generic evil they can possibly be. They won't really be interesting until they decide to approach Zodiark and the Ascian plans directly and we all know that probably won't be until 6.0 at earliest.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 18, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meiteron posted:

The Warriors of Darkness are pretty much entirely saved by Arbert's voice actor. They sat that guy in a studio and said "be angry. Be really, really, really angry, all the time, and just send that fury through the microphone" and drat if he didn't do exactly that. They're still kinda stupid and the payoff of their plot is really not worth it but you have to respect that Arbert gives 110% in every cutscene he's voiced.

I really want more WoD so I can hear his voice more

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Meiteron posted:

Arbert? Who? Generic growly broody guy? Guy's a moron, I'm going to wear his head as a hat.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ColdIronsBound posted:

By the time the new expansion is out some development is going to have to be done on streamlining MSQ content introduced in patches, waiting over an hour for a 10-man group for The Final Steps of Faith, annoyingly this is about the first time the game has introduced a song that doesn't work on repeat.

Are you on Aether DC? I can queue with you too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cythereal posted:

So, finished Xelphatol and have to say... the Warriors of Darkness are the silliest, dumbest bad guys this game has offered yet, and I'm including the Hildibrand story lines by that measure. Am I supposed to take these gothy idiots seriously?

There are only 2 good things about the Warriors of Darkness.

1: Character development (bonus, it's not theirs.)

2: Their solo duty is pretty interesting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EponymousMrYar posted:

So far, they've just been boring gothy bad guy wannabes with a spectacularly stupid motivation even by this game's standards.

If Alisae's the 3.4 character people were interested to see how I'd respond to, I'm indifferent so far. She seems okay, hasn't yet done anything to distinguish herself one way or another.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

I wouldn't. I was enamored by the idea of XIV using a concept from III that I thought the series as a whole woefully neglected, but the characters are just... egh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the other hand... Titan and the kobold kid. Ouch. :( And worst part is, I can't even really blame the kobold priest. Especially not right after HW.

Just an all around awful situation for everyone.

I am really surprised, though, that there's never been a human (well, playable race) primal as far as the game's told me. Ishgard certainly seems devout enough to have summoned a primal of Halone, or one of the three city-states of their patron deity. Or for that matter, the Garleans a primal of their vision of conquest. Sure the Garleans hate the primals, but the way they seem to work it seems like that wouldn't matter.

For that matter, I was expecting Nidhogg to turn out to be a dragon primal.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
glad to see black mage is still very very good and fun in stormblood

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cythereal posted:

So far, they've just been boring gothy bad guy wannabes with a spectacularly stupid motivation even by this game's standards.

If Alisae's the 3.4 character people were interested to see how I'd respond to, I'm indifferent so far. She seems okay, hasn't yet done anything to distinguish herself one way or another.

Let's just say that Alisae's personality is the polar opposite of Alph's once she gets off the couch.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand... Titan and the kobold kid. Ouch. :( And worst part is, I can't even really blame the kobold priest. Especially not right after HW.

Just an all around awful situation for everyone.

I am really surprised, though, that there's never been a human (well, playable race) primal as far as the game's told me. Ishgard certainly seems devout enough to have summoned a primal of Halone, or one of the three city-states of their patron deity. Or for that matter, the Garleans a primal of their vision of conquest. Sure the Garleans hate the primals, but the way they seem to work it seems like that wouldn't matter.

Garleans have no aether, thus why machinamagitech is their thing.

Another part of your question would kind of be answered with Final Coil too I think

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Garleans have no aether, thus why machinamagitech is there thing.

But... isn't magitek by definition partly magical, and therefore dependent on aether? Their poo poo sure as hell doesn't pretend to obey the laws of physics.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

But... isn't magitek by definition partly magical, and therefore dependent on aether? Their poo poo sure as hell doesn't pretend to obey the laws of physics.

That would be Ceruleum, condensed physical aether

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I don't think their inability to channel aether would really be an obstacle to them summoning a primal, it's just that the method to summon them wasn't known till the Ascians started teaching it.

Edit: That and their whole anti-primal thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cythereal posted:

Magitek runs on ceruleum which is basically liquid aether extracted from the ground.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Magitek runs on ceruleum which is basically liquid aether extracted from the ground.

So... they have aether and should therefore be capable of summoning a primal.

But really, I'd have figured Ishgard would have done it long before Thordan came along.

Argas posted:

I don't think their inability to channel aether would really be an obstacle to them summoning a primal, it's just that the method to summon them wasn't known till the Ascians started teaching it.

Edit: That and their whole anti-primal thing.

According to the game, it's quite simple and you don't even need to intend to summon one to do it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Basically, just hope that Garleans don't invent ceruleum nukes because the consequences of using something like that are guaranteed to be Really Bad.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cythereal posted:

So... they have aether and should therefore be capable of summoning a primal.

But really, I'd have figured Ishgard would have done it long before Thordan came along.

According to the game, it's quite simple and you don't even need to intend to summon one to do it.

Yeah but it was still something that just wasn't possible up until recently, partly because of the seal on Silvertear Lake and partly because nobody knew how.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Baelsar's Wall has been a thing for how long and people still can't figure out the damned archers in the first pull. Like, every time I run it, as anything other than a tank, those guys gently caress everything up.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

EponymousMrYar posted:

speakin of solo duties didnt yoship say they were thinking of allowing you to replay them? i wana do the GC alliance training battle vs raubahn again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

speakin of solo duties didnt yoship say they were thinking of allowing you to replay them? i wana do the GC alliance training battle vs raubahn again

He said people have been requesting it but apparently it's difficult to do.

Considering the Raubahn Savage locked up the game for a month,i t's probably a case of allowing people to redo solo duties would eat up whatever slots they use and they can't really justify improving the infrastructure for an add-on which doesn't sell subs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The implication with the Kobold kid quest is that all the prep work to summon Titan had already been done, and it was his pure anguish that was the finishing touch. It's been established everywhere else that the Ascians have to furnish you with unspecified rituals and you need a vast quantity of aether before you can summon a primal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

The implication with the Kobold kid quest is that all the prep work to summon Titan had already been done, and it was his pure anguish that was the finishing touch. It's been established everywhere else that the Ascians have to furnish you with unspecified rituals and you need a vast quantity of aether before you can summon a primal.

There's also Enkidu, though fair point that it's ambiguous how seriously you're meant to take that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blockhouse posted:

Wait wait wait wait

if Pazuzu is the boss of Anemos

does that mean they're doing the four fiends from Mystic Quest?

I'd say that's likely. It also fits with the FFV crystals and their plot order. Wind first, Water, Fire, Earth last.

4.2(5)

If they want to unaspect the tower they can make it its own separate finale Duty in 4.55 that's basically a dungeon-but-not-a-dungeon. For extra reference points, make it a huge Ronka Ruins reference.

Though if they made the finale a real Trial that locks Trials Roulette til you clear it, imagine the rage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

I am really surprised, though, that there's never been a human (well, playable race) primal as far as the game's told me.

Shiva and Knights of the Round don't count?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Shiva and Knights of the Round don't count?

Eh, that wasn't what I was thinking of, but yeah fair cop nevermind.

Also, taking a liking to Alisaie with the Titan thing. I think it's in part because of how differently the PC is handled as much as how she's different from Alphinaud. Alphinaud's a much better character now, but I still resent and loathe him because he was just that loving bad in ARR. Alisaie's made a far better first impression, and I think the story's handled her much more gracefully than ARR did Alphinaud.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The bit where you and Alisaie sit down in the starry field and have a chat is one of my favorite parts of Heavensward's MSQ. Little character moments like that and the fireside chat you have with Alphinaud, Estinien, and Ysayle are one of the things the writers seem to do the best with.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would be remiss if I did not note that if you finished Coil to varying degrees of completion, it affected Alisaie's attitude towards you through that storyline.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
4.25 is weird.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm so torn

i have sam/whm/mch at 70 and im in the process of leveling bard and monk but red mage looks real fun too but i still need to finish off everything past 4.0 which is a fair bit of content AND eureka but i cant decide which class to focus on aaaaaaa

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it took me an hour and an RSI but i went from 2 to 4 in eureka

really glad to have high-definition ffxi

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I heard there is red mage barding in Eureka is this true

If so then son of a bitch

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also the scorpion harness is entirely cosmetic?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also the scorpion harness is entirely cosmetic?

Yes

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

One of the early quests has you stopping the summoning of one of the Twelve, Rhalgr. And the way primals work is by loving up everything around them simply by existing. Aether gets drained from any available source, which would ruin Garlean tech, and people lose their free will. The Garleans realized this and that's partly why Ultima was such a useful find for them, since it gave them an actual means of fighting primals on their own.

And yeah, if you get a chance, do a runthrough of the binding coil for the cutscenes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Didn't the Ala Mhigans summon a primal when the Garleans first invaded? I thought I read that somewhere.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

WrightOfWay posted:

Didn't the Ala Mhigans summon a primal when the Garleans first invaded? I thought I read that somewhere.

No. There was fear of them summoning Rhalgr, but it never happened. And every attempt by some jackass to do so ever since has gotten slapped down.

And then Illberd summoned a primeval rage monster.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So how do I approach aoe as a bard? If I’ve got Mage’s Ballad going I typically double dot as many things as I physically can so I can keep proccing rain of arrows, but I don’t know if there is a target limit for that or how to approach it in other songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

AOE song rotation goes Mages>Armys>Wanderer's. If you have the time then ideally you will want to get 6 instances of your dots going (2 dots per mob on at least 3 mobs) and then just spam Quick Nock with Rain of Death thrown in every proc you get. That's about it really.