Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I always forget DQ6 exists, I never hear anything about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I got 4 when the DS remake was released, but for some reason never picked up 5 or 6. Same with AA4, I played the original trilogy more or less back to back, but when the 4th game came out I never picked it up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

irlZaphod posted:

Of course, I'll have to finish DQ7 before touching either of these. :v:
I hope you enjoy playing them, in 2019

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I hope you enjoy playing them, in 2019
I think you overestimate how quickly I play games. :negative:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is this game good and enjoyable if I've never played the first one or Namco x Capcom

Nope and it's maybe even worse if you have . Don't play this

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looper posted:

I always forget DQ6 exists, I never hear anything about it

It's a good game and Dragon Quest, but it's definitely the least ambitions of all the games so it's the most "there". It kind of stands out to me for having the most brutal, dangerous randoms of the series, so I'm actually jonesing for it pretty hard after reaching 7's cakewalk endgame.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

It's a good game and Dragon Quest, but it's definitely the least ambitions of all the games so it's the most "there". It kind of stands out to me for having the most brutal, dangerous randoms of the series, so I'm actually jonesing for it pretty hard after reaching 7's cakewalk endgame.

7 is really, really easy. I think I've had one character death, letalone a lost fight (outside of scripted losses), the whole game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I think they definitely overcompensated for the PSX version's shortcomings. No one beat the game because it was so long (but not really, it was because it was so long AND easy to gently caress up with tablets) so they made it easier, plus people got really lazy about vocations so they made intermediary ones more unique with skills being locked to them, which is kind of awful for balance since it means most of them are endgame-level at 1/3 through the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The bad encounter system also means you're going to be over leveled (unless you run away from fights but who does that)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
all this dq7 talk makes me want to buy it more because then I could pretend it was actually really hard and I'm just that good.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If I could only get one game this month, should I get mario tennis or mario golf with the dlc?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You would probably be better off with Mario Golf. I hear Mario Tennis on the 3DS is really barebones or something.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

You would probably be better off with Mario Golf. I hear Mario Tennis on the 3DS is really barebones or something.

Correct. Tennis got boring real fast, Golf never gets old.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ColoradoCleric posted:

If I could only get one game this month, should I get mario tennis or mario golf with the dlc?

Thirding Golf. It's probably the best Mario Golf overall.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Looper posted:

The bad encounter system also means you're going to be over leveled (unless you run away from fights but who does that)
I'm avoiding a lot of encounters just to speed things along tbh. Dungeons are usually pretty narrow so you end up with a lot of encounters there anyway.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

mario tennis on 3ds sucked. i still like the gbc one as one of the best.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The upcoming 3DS Mario Sports actually looks pretty well made.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thirding Golf. It's probably the best Mario Golf overall.

That's impossible, the 3DS game it's not a RPG. :smith:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

listen i lost large periods of my life to how loving Awesome Mario Golf on the N64 was, and the 3DS one is better!?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 13, 2016

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sea Sponge Run posted:

listen i lost large periods of my life to house loving Awesome Mario Golf on the N64 was, and the 3DS one is better!?

The 3DS one is better and you can buy courses from Mario Golf 64 for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gmq posted:

That's impossible, the 3DS game it's not a RPG. :smith:

The little clubhouse mode was good enough for me. It's cute walking around asking shy guys about golf terminology.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Get in the corner, Sonic.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Get in the corner, Sonic.

Love Columns

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it's weird seeing the pokemon artist's art that isn't pokemon

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who's the girl with the flamethrower?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who's the girl with the flamethrower?

She's from Alien Syndrome, Mary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Syndrome

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sea Sponge Run posted:

it's weird seeing the pokemon artist's art that isn't pokemon

If you follow him on twitter, that's the least of your concern.

https://twitter.com/SUPER_32X/status/717548984194039812

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of which, I just got to the witch fight in Ocarina of Time. Even the ugly old witches fuse to become a babe. So many babes in this game...

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking of which, I just got to the witch fight in Ocarina of Time. Even the ugly old witches fuse to become a babe. So many babes in this game...

3DS OoT has updated models, right? Or is it just textures?

Either way, what do the Great Fairies look like now? Are they still the same sex nightmare monsters they were to 13-year-old me on the N64?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ALFbrot posted:

Either way, what do the Great Fairies look like now? Are they still the same sex nightmare monsters they were to 13-year-old me on the N64?

Probably, if they look the same as in Majora's Mask 3DS.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they don't have pointy boobs anymore

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Used $13 worth of promo credits from Amazon for selecting slow shipping on items and cashed it on getting a Mario Golf code for $18. Couldn't hold off on it anymore after all the praise it was getting here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ALFbrot posted:

Yes, 3DS OOT has updated models and not just textures, which is fantastic.

I have a version of OOT on emulator with all the textures replaced with hi-def ones, running at 1440, which looks pretty good, but it can't hold a candle to the 3DS remake and that's the version I play now, because those new models make such a huge night and day difference.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Reminder that Chase Cold Case Investigations is out today on the eShop. If you liked Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Last Window, this is by most of the same people.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

mateo360 posted:

Reminder that Chase Cold Case Investigations is out today on the eShop. If you liked Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Last Window, this is by most of the same people.

Any word yet on if it's worth getting?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

they don't have pointy boobs anymore

Now they have the nice soft edges of an icosahedron just like my D20 😍

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I've been out of the jrpg game for a while but wanna jump back in, choose one of these contenders for me:

Bravely Second
Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest 7
Shin Megami Tensei: Apocalypse.

Dragon Quest is the only series in the list I have any experience with, but I'm not averse to something new

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

smta

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mysterious frankie posted:

I've been out of the jrpg game for a while but wanna jump back in, choose one of these contenders for me:

Bravely Second
Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest 7
Shin Megami Tensei: Apocalypse.

Dragon Quest is the only series in the list I have any experience with, but I'm not averse to something new

I'd put like a 50/50 tie between Bravely Second and SMT: Apocalypse, depending on what it is you're looking for.

Bravely Second is more of a Final Fantasy-like, with a job system, traditional fantasy setting, summons, and stuff. The job system is pretty well fleshed-out, and the Risk/Reward aspect of the Brave-Default system makes battles pretty interesting.

SMT: A is less traditional, and has you forming your party out of demons that you "capture" by negotiating- you have a semi-random conversation with a demon you're fighting, and if you're successful it will join your party. The series is known for being pretty unforgiving with its difficulty, and expects the player to make use of elemental weaknesses and status effects to succeed. Much of your character-improvement progress will come from fusing your demons together to make a different, preferably better demon, which means that your party's spells and elemental properties will be shifting around frequently. There are systems in place to control this process a bit, such as choosing which skills your existing demons pass on to their fusion result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

unless you really like FFV, then bravely second