Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
A neighbor has an old Honda CB750 Nighthawk rusting in their front yard. Flat tires, spiders in the gas tank, etc. I always liked the look of Nighthawks, and I want a project bike. Is there any reason for me to completely avoid these models, or are they a worthwhile bike in CA's opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Man, Brownsville Station really went downhill after they released Spiders in the Gas Tank.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There's nothing noteworthy about them, just basic reliable wheels. You'll spend too much money fixing that one though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

There's nothing noteworthy about them, just basic reliable wheels. You'll spend too much money fixing that one though.

Thanks. I'm not planning on making a profit. I just liked the idea of having a bike to wrench on that could be ridden by a friend or my fiance. I was thinking if I could get it for a couple hundred that wouldn't be the worst deal. Parts shouldn't be too bad for such a popular old bike, right?

Or should I just cruise Craigslist for a better deal?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think it's better to wrench on something more interesting than a nighthawk, because you're going to spend a lot more money on it than it's worth, so you might as well pick something that you'll enjoy owning at the end.

I mean, maybe that's a nighthawk, but not for me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Parts shouldn't be too bad for such a popular old bike, right?

Hahahaha

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Fix it up just enough to ride but leave the spiders and rust

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dog Case posted:

leave the spiders

Uh, get an inline fuel filter when you replace the hoses.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Hahahaha

:ohdear: I thought there were billions of these things.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

captainOrbital posted:

Uh, get an inline fuel filter when you replace the hoses.

Or don't. I hear that spiders have a super-high energy density.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Or don't. I hear that spiders have a super-high energy density.

Agreed. Plus if you get one stuck just get a water spout and wash the spider out.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You have to wait for the rain to come down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

There are but there is also currently a ~RARE VINTAGE BIKE LQQK~ bubble on eBay and the like for any bike over 15 years old

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are but there is also currently a ~RARE VINTAGE BIKE LQQK~ bubble on eBay and the like for any bike over 15 years old

God drat hipsters :argh:. I was into vintage bikes before it was cool. :agesilaus:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
If you leave the rust and spiders you can call it a ~~RARE SURVIVOR~~ which is about as cool and valuable as a clean restoration on my local craigslist

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

God drat hipsters :argh:. I was into vintage bikes before it was cool. :agesilaus:

have good taste. buy an xs750

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dog Case posted:

If you leave the rust and spiders you can call it a ~~RARE SURVIVOR~~ which is about as cool and valuable as a clean restoration on my local craigslist

BARN FRESH!!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

No results on Craigslist

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

No results on Craigslist

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/5522321655.html

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Z3n posted:

What bike? Handlebars or clipons?

Ninja 300. Clipons. It's oh so slightly bent. Whee.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

builds character posted:

Good riddance to mine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Hahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

clutchpuck posted:

Good riddance to mine.

You explode the middle?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Forgot to turn off my search filter. :doh:

I don't want to spend that much. I'd rather find the unicorn project bike that won't cost so much that Lady Chiche vetoes it, but is also in good enough shape that I don't have to spend a prohibitive amount. Why can't you just help me find something that fits my ridiculous standards?

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
so I just got a letter from EZ pass because some rear end in a top hat decided to go through the automatic toll lane w/o a transponder and, this is the good part - using the same plate as me. they sent me a violation notice. i can appeal or pay the $40 fine. if i don't pay they're going to suspend my license. i have until May 29th to get it sorted so i'm feeling O.K about it. i have an EZ pass account but haven't put my bike on it yet.

i have a white FZ-07 and the bike in the photo is some gold cruiser w/ bags on it. it looks nothing like my bike so i'm appealing. i already mailed it, if they deny it i can request a hearing. i'm just worried this rear end in a top hat is going to keep riding around with my plate and rack up more of these. i called the RMV to report someone using my plate and they told me to talk to EZ pass.... who told me to talk to the RMV.

i'm going to my insurance company tomorrow to see if they can help me wade through this bureaucratic dog poo poo that is the registry of motor vehicles. i might just ask them to get me a new plate so this guy fucks himself next time he pulls some poo poo using it.

i guess this isn't really a question, i just wanted to vent. although, should i report this to the police since the RMV doesn't give a poo poo? is there some special department that handles this kinda crap? should i just change my plates?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Forgot to turn off my search filter. :doh:

I don't want to spend that much. I'd rather find the unicorn project bike that won't cost so much that Lady Chiche vetoes it, but is also in good enough shape that I don't have to spend a prohibitive amount. Why can't you just help me find something that fits my ridiculous standards?

Get a cheap Hawk 650.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

The problem is, Honda made a lot less spare parts than they made complete bikes. Hope you like eBaying for used parts that now cost twice what they did new.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Goldwing guy might be from out of state. I've heard of Washington I405 toll lanes getting it wrong wrt out of state duplicate numbers.

I just successfully disputed a hov toll I got on the motorcycle. Sent then a snarky letter and a copy of my registration paper. Motorcycles ride free but they didn't think of them when designing the automatic tolling crap. So annoyed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

carrion kit posted:

so I just got a letter from EZ pass because some rear end in a top hat decided to go through the automatic toll lane w/o a transponder and, this is the good part - using the same plate as me. they sent me a violation notice. i can appeal or pay the $40 fine. if i don't pay they're going to suspend my license. i have until May 29th to get it sorted so i'm feeling O.K about it. i have an EZ pass account but haven't put my bike on it yet.

i have a white FZ-07 and the bike in the photo is some gold cruiser w/ bags on it. it looks nothing like my bike so i'm appealing. i already mailed it, if they deny it i can request a hearing. i'm just worried this rear end in a top hat is going to keep riding around with my plate and rack up more of these. i called the RMV to report someone using my plate and they told me to talk to EZ pass.... who told me to talk to the RMV.

i'm going to my insurance company tomorrow to see if they can help me wade through this bureaucratic dog poo poo that is the registry of motor vehicles. i might just ask them to get me a new plate so this guy fucks himself next time he pulls some poo poo using it.

i guess this isn't really a question, i just wanted to vent. although, should i report this to the police since the RMV doesn't give a poo poo? is there some special department that handles this kinda crap? should i just change my plates?

Did he steal your plate or did the DMV accidentally issue 2 of the same plate?

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Z3n posted:

Did he steal your plate or did the DMV accidentally issue 2 of the same plate?

nah the plate is still on my bike, the number is very clear so my thought was the same as the above poster. that he might be from another state. is it possible that the plates previous owners had a 2nd copy and the guy decided to throw them on and cruise around in the spring before he got a new plate? i was under the impression that there's only "one" plate (per state i guess). i don't think the DMV issued 2, when i called them they pulled up the plate info and i'm the only person registered.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

carrion kit posted:

nah the plate is still on my bike, the number is very clear so my thought was the same as the above poster. that he might be from another state. is it possible that the plates previous owners had a 2nd copy and the guy decided to throw them on and cruise around in the spring before he got a new plate? i was under the impression that there's only "one" plate (per state i guess). i don't think the DMV issued 2, when i called them they pulled up the plate info and i'm the only person registered.

Could be a fake plate. I'd report it to the police, if only to have something more substantial to show the EZ pass people.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Can you request a new plate number?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

Motorcycles ride free but they didn't think of them when designing the automatic tolling crap. So annoyed.

That pissed me off to no end commuting on 167.

PaintVagrant posted:

Can you request a new plate number?

Obviously depends on the state, but I thought about replacing the plates on my bike (as mine are pretty hosed up) and :laffo: if I'm paying that much for a new sheet of metal with a stamp.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

That pissed me off to no end commuting on 167.

Obviously depends on the state, but I thought about replacing the plates on my bike (as mine are pretty hosed up) and :laffo: if I'm paying that much for a new sheet of metal with a stamp.

When I lost my plate and got a new number and plate it cost me only 5 bucks at the MVD. How much is it there?

Space Duck
Oct 15, 2003
I suspect I may have gently caress something electrical, but I'm hoping it's just something stupid.

I have a 2004 GS500, and I was attempting to replace the high beam indicator bulb. I have the cluster flipped over to get the bulb, removed the bulb, and turned to the bike on to test continuity at the socket (engine kill switch in the off position), flipped the headlights to the highbeam, and everything died. No lights, oil pressure light, horn at all.

Check the fuse, and it looks ok. Battery's at 12.85V and is 2 months old. Checked the continuity of the ignition switch (red/orange, brown/grey) at the connector and that looks good with the key in the on position. I'm getting an new 20A fuse just in case and some contact cleaner but I'm otherwise out of ideas.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Space Duck posted:

I suspect I may have gently caress something electrical, but I'm hoping it's just something stupid.

I have a 2004 GS500, and I was attempting to replace the high beam indicator bulb. I have the cluster flipped over to get the bulb, removed the bulb, and turned to the bike on to test continuity at the socket (engine kill switch in the off position), flipped the headlights to the highbeam, and everything died. No lights, oil pressure light, horn at all.

Check the fuse, and it looks ok. Battery's at 12.85V and is 2 months old. Checked the continuity of the ignition switch (red/orange, brown/grey) at the connector and that looks good with the key in the on position. I'm getting an new 20A fuse just in case and some contact cleaner but I'm otherwise out of ideas.

While you're at it, check the continuity of the fuse and the main fusible link by the starter solenoid. If you REALLY short something out that 30/50A will blow. Everything checks good in your fuse block, but the bike is still dead. This is also what happens if you hook jumper cables up backwards or touch them together while they're connected to your bike.

Also, get "indicating fuses," with the LEDs in them. As long as battery voltage and ground is available, they'll show you which fuse you just blew. They're great on the side of the road and/or in the dark.

Yes, the PO of my bike was a TERRIBLE electrician.

Space Duck
Oct 15, 2003
Thanks for the reply and suggestions, but it was I being the idiot: I was looking at the spare fuse, which in retrospect was suspiciously easy to remove and exposed to the elements.

At least I learning a bit about poking at the R/R with a multimeter, and found an abandoned wasp nest start in the fairings above the tail light.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Schroeder91 posted:

When I lost my plate and got a new number and plate it cost me only 5 bucks at the MVD. How much is it there?

Not sure when I originally looked, it was a while ago, but it looks like it's only $15 for motorcycles. I might have been confusing it with the price for tabs in King County (about $150).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I did some riding over the weekend, beautiful week for it. However the twisty roads around here can be fairly uneven at points, and it got a little loose at one point.

I'm pretty sure the best answer is to ride better, but would better tires help me keep more traction across bad pavement? Right now I've just got the stock tires on the CB500. Also: what are some common performance upgrades for naked bikes? I know for a car I'd be looking at improving how the engine breathes, would it be the same concept here?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd be surprised if you could squeeze much more out of a CB500 outside of making bigger ports or increasing comp ratio. If you want more effect from your right wrist, a cheap way to do that is adding teeth to the rear sprocket.

Most of my good roads are uneven and can be gravelly (Snohomish county LOOOOVEEEEESSSS chip seal) so I apex later so I can see what's going on past the apex with more time. Maybe I ride slower but in my mind that's better than washing out on random gravel. gently caress a racing line. Reading the road is an important street riding skill.

If you want to see some uneven twisties, have a run up from Carson, WA to Randle, WA on Wind River Hwy, Curly Creek Rd., and NF-25 after the snow melts. You think you know frost heaves but you don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

So I did some riding over the weekend, beautiful week for it. However the twisty roads around here can be fairly uneven at points, and it got a little loose at one point.

I'm pretty sure the best answer is to ride better, but would better tires help me keep more traction across bad pavement? Right now I've just got the stock tires on the CB500. Also: what are some common performance upgrades for naked bikes? I know for a car I'd be looking at improving how the engine breathes, would it be the same concept here?

The single most powerful and cost effective modz yo is getting better skills through training or whatever. The second is tyres. The third is to just buy a faster bike, which is always cheaper than upgrading what you have unless what you have is already really close to the pointy end.

Like seriously, more riding ability makes a HUGE difference compared to fifty more horsepower or magnesium rims or an akra full system or whatever other farkles you want to stick on.