Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

For example, in this one, I can already tell the shape essentially, but how can I logically figure out what goes where?

In the first picture you have a column with a 2, but there are only 3 squares, so logically the middle one has to be filled in. And then there is a 2 in the row that square is in, so you can follow from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

In the top row here, that blue 1 can be removed because it can't be blue or orange.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Those two steps basically solve the rest of the puzzle too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LODGE NORTH posted:

For example, in this one, I can already tell the shape essentially, but how can I logically figure out what goes where?

Top image, you can delete that one. It HAS to be blue, but can't possibly be because it also has to be orange. So then you know the one behind it is committed in blue, and you know which two on that row are orange and you know to delete the last block that isn't filled in.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

LODGE NORTH posted:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You don't need it for that puzzle, but if you get stuck in the future it's a good habit to get into flagging blocks you're not absolutely sure of because it'll help you see when certain squares need to be destroyed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All three of the cases I've played in Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth have involved a wrongfully accused suspect who, because of their job, had a rare or unique item that would've allowed them to commit the murder. And two of them claim to have conveniently lost the item at the time the murder was committed.

Who wrote this game? An uncreative person?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it was me but i did better the next time, i swear

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Guy Goodbody posted:

All three of the cases I've played in Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth have involved a wrongfully accused suspect who, because of their job, had a rare or unique item that would've allowed them to commit the murder. And two of them claim to have conveniently lost the item at the time the murder was committed.

Who wrote this game? An uncreative person?

The next Investigations game is much better (though it still has some problems.) The Edgeworth games were directed by someone other than Shu Takumi.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The last two games Shu Takumi worked on are Layton x AA and Dai Gyakuten Saiban so it's not like his record is spotless anymore, either.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Was Dai Gyakuten bad?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some people got angry about plot threads left to the sequel, but since none of us are going to play it we don't know how good it is outside of throwing import impressions at each other.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

People were apparently pretty dissatisfied with it, but I think the main reason for that is that it doesn't have a real ending beyond "wait for the sequel!"

This is all hearsay though as I don't know any details and probably never will :smith:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I ended up getting Bravely Second because it looked like the best compromise between new mechanics and old school opportunities to absentmindedly grind and it's crazy good so far. Also thinking about getting Star Fox 64 (never played it).

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Do you guys think that the purple galaxy 3DS XL will be out by/around the holidays? I'd like to save up for one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's already out in NA, it'll be out in November in Japan as a TRU exclusive. I don't think it's announced for Europe.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Aerofallosov posted:

Do you guys think that the purple galaxy 3DS XL will be out by/around the holidays? I'd like to save up for one.

I've seen a bunch of them lying around at my exchange and Target. I don't think they're selling as much as that 3D Land bundle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd buy either one if I was guaranteed the top screen wouldn't be all yellow >: (

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I can't decide between getting Return to Popolocrois or 7th Dragon III. Both are sequels to series I really enjoy (though Popolocrois is a bit of a tangent for the series). Popolocrois has gotten decent ratings while 7th Dragon has gotten good ones. Then again Popolocrois is also half the price of 7th Dragon, and 7th Dragon costs as much as Fire Emblem which is another game I want to get BUT while 7th Dragon will probably go on sale some day Fire Emblem probably won't ever.

I mean I'm going to buy all 3 eventually this is just a matter of what I'm going to buy right now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So 7th Dragon is the fourth game in the series, and the final volume in the 7th Dragon 2020 trilogy, but none of the previous 7th Dragon games were released in America?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So are they ever gonna add more games to the virtual console or is it pretty much a lost cause at this point?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Guy Goodbody posted:

So 7th Dragon is the fourth game in the series, and the final volume in the 7th Dragon 2020 trilogy, but none of the previous 7th Dragon games were released in America?

Correct, but both 7th Dragon for DS and 2020 for PSP have fan translations.

ColoradoCleric posted:

So are they ever gonna add more games to the virtual console or is it pretty much a lost cause at this point?

Virtual Console has been dead for years, with the exception of SNES games on New 3DS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pokemon RBY came out earlier this year, but that seems to be a special case. Hopefully they'll release GSC in due time.

Speaking of which, Pokemon Prism looks pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEaUQJP_p1A

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Picross is hurting my soul a little bit.

2D Picross is dangerously easy since there's always a thread and I can follow that thread all the way to the end. 3D Picross just seems so complicated when you're dealing with like 6x6 cubes and it only gets worse going forward. Some things aren't even easy to do. For example, a middle tile may be blue, but I have to do a lot of "work" to make it blue. The block on top of it may have a 2 in a circle, therefore I know it's not one of the blocks connected etc etc, but then it gets even more complicated because that one thread may not give me more clues, or may be it does and I'm lazy. in any case, my soul is wrecked by this game.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Picross 3D isn't too bad, you just have to keep a handful of algorithms in your head.

If you have a column that is 4 blocks deep and the marker is a circled 3, then you can safely mark the first and last block in that column and come back to it later.

Same 4 block deep column and it's just a regular 3, you can mark the middle 2 blocks.

The hinting is very generous and there were only a handful of puzzles that I felt were unfair.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pokemon RBY came out earlier this year, but that seems to be a special case. Hopefully they'll release GSC in due time.

Holy poo poo, I remember this from like years and years ago, I'm amazed it actually finished

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's download online, they aren't actually making Game Boy Color cartridges?

lame

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Is it an actual GBC game though? Or is it made to look like one?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a romhack.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.
Gurumin is pretty fun, its the only Mega Man legends for the console ;_;

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Oh poo poo, Prism is made by the Rijon dude. I played whatever one he made that used Fire Red for its sprites like 8 years ago.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are they ever gonna port the zelda ds games to a digital download or am I stuck buying cartridges?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The thing with Picross 3D 2 is that sooner or later you basically have to start using the marker function. You can in theory suss it out otherwise but only if you have a magic computer brain. Just being able to go back and see 'I don't know what this block is but it's not orange' helps whittle down the choices for you. Later levels get nasty but I've never had to guess.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ColoradoCleric posted:

Are they ever gonna port the zelda ds games to a digital download or am I stuck buying cartridges?

It'll only be available digitally on the Wii U, so yes you are stuck with the cartridges. Sorry. :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wonder how fast NoA will crush it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

YggiDee posted:

The thing with Picross 3D 2 is that sooner or later you basically have to start using the marker function. You can in theory suss it out otherwise but only if you have a magic computer brain. Just being able to go back and see 'I don't know what this block is but it's not orange' helps whittle down the choices for you. Later levels get nasty but I've never had to guess.

I think the marker is what makes the 3D games easier for me. I have problems visualizing all the block permutations in 2D Picross and I end up guessing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wonder how fast NoA will crush it.

Not "likely" as other rom hacks have been out for praictically ever and I don't think any that are uploaded as patches have been DMCA'd or C&D'd or whatever.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm on the fourth case of Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth. Is seriously every case going to be clearing the name of a wrongfully accused person? What's the point of doing a new series if it''s going to be so much like the regular Ace Attorney games?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LODGE NORTH posted:

Not "likely" as other rom hacks have been out for praictically ever and I don't think any that are uploaded as patches have been DMCA'd or C&D'd or whatever.

They demolished AM2R and the the other Pokémon one with a 48 hour turnaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Both were released as their own programs. I don't think they've ever gotten a romhack taken down.