Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

I legitimately enjoy pretty much all the later dungeons more than the earlier ones. I would much rather do any SB dungeon than most of HW's and pretty much all of ARR's.
As an extension of this point I wish they'd do something about the expert roulette and throw the other 4 mans in there. I like to do 4 man content just cause but the expert roulette limited to two dungeons this patch cycle really sucked the life out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like pretty much everything about SB's story and setting more than HW

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SB had fantastic leveling dungeons but outside of Fractal Hard and to a lesser extent Ala Mhigo none of the max level dungeons really stand out to me. On the other hand none of them are straight up bad like Neverreap so maybe it's better this way.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Not really hard to outdo vast, barren, frozen expanses dotted with dragon racists and floating mountains sprinkled with backwards-talking dragons as a setting and storyline.

E: The only thing I outright hate about Stormblood is their insistence on using the overbearing main theme as a leitmotif in every loving song.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 20, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I hate getting Bardam's because there's like a 90% chance you're gonna end up with a tank in 270 gear who just gets turned into a greasy stain on the ground

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like I don't hate Heavensward don't get me wrong, but I think the class warfare was the most interesting part of that story and it was ditched pretty hard a couple of patches in and only getting any kind of follow-through in the SB machinists quests.

SB's story of revolution and colonization and finding the will to fight when you've already been crushed into the dirt speaks to me more than HW doing the standard JRPG ancient race war plot with pretty much all the same beats as always (well-executed and presented beats grant you but there's very little new in that story).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I like pretty much everything about SB's story and setting more than HW

Needed less brown, yellow and gray

Blockhouse posted:

Like I don't hate Heavensward don't get me wrong, but I think the class warfare was the most interesting part of that story and it was ditched pretty hard a couple of patches in and only getting any kind of follow-through in the SB machinists quests.

Agreed. Foundation was super hosed up and we only really touched the surface layers of that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Stormblood has better looking locations than Heavensward, but I found the story worse.

That said, I liked Zenos as an antagonist and Fordola grew on me. I still hate everything about Yotsuyu, though.

Shere posted:

E: The only thing I outright hate about Stormblood is their insistence on using the overbearing main theme as a leitmotif in every loving song.

STORM OF BLOOD

BORN FROM BLOOD

OF OUR FALLEN BROTHERS :shepicide:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I always heard that as STORM OF BLOOD, STORM OF BLOOD, IT'S A STORM OF BLOOD, IT'S A STORM OF BLOOD, IT'S A STORM OF BLOOOOOD

Despite low levels of ambient Marxism-Leninism I think I greatly preferred HW's story, but I would probably have put SB above it if they had just focused on Othard or on Ala Mhigo. Ala Mhigo was something they had to resolve obviously, but the split was rather arbitrary, if actually rooted in an approximation of military strategy rather than just "Oh yeah, both of these places are involved."

I don't quite get why Zenos appeals so deeply to people, though. I mean, I understood his role and he carried it out, and this is certainly a Final Fantasy archetype, but it seems like there's some part of him that appeals to many deeply, and which I just don't perceive.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He's a well designed well acted antagonist who is presented early, given clear motivation, immediately established as a threat, and given a parallel to the protagonist (the extent of which that parallel applies being something you can decide for yourself.) What he is isn't original but his writing's fun and they manage to keep him there and relevant and a challenge right up to the end.

Meanwhile Nidhogg disappears for large stretches of HW, Thordan does nothing for most of the expansion and you meet him like twice, and I can't tell you most of the Heaven's Ward's names with a gun to my head.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Blockhouse posted:

He's a well designed well acted antagonist who is presented early, given clear motivation, immediately established as a threat, and given a parallel to the protagonist (the extent of which that parallel applies being something you can decide for yourself.) What he is isn't original but his writing's fun and they manage to keep him there and relevant and a challenge right up to the end.

I did like that you fought him multiple times during the SB storyline, and the encounters clearly showed the WoL improving and catching up to his level.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

I can't tell you most of the Heaven's Ward's names with a gun to my head.

Clearly they should have included their names in the fight music like they did with the Mogglesguard.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I wish exdr was four dungeons but that’s what 70 roulette is for I guess.

Sigmascape has a weekly loot lockout, right? I’m eyeing that chest, it looks excellent.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blockhouse posted:

Also his presentation meshes well with game mechanics that's more unusual than it should be these days.

I'm looking at you Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
You piece of poo poo for wasting our time with 'unwinnable' boss battles that players can beat :catstare:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

STORM OF BLOOD

BORN FROM BLOOD

OF OUR FALLEN BROTHERS :shepicide:

THAT ROCK,
MADE OF CHEESE,
IT'S A VERY,
STINKY CHEESE,
SEPHIROTH!
(dun nunana naaa!)

SEPHIROTH!

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I want to like Stormblood's story way more than I do. Liberating Doma was fine because we got time to hang out with Gosetsu and to a lesser extent Hien , but Lyse really disappointed as the Ala Mhigo viewpoint. She has so much time devoted to character growth that barely happens that when it comes to actually fight for Ala Mhigo it just feels way too easy. Zenos is a little too simple of a character to really tie the storylines together, but he's a compelling villain on a personal level just because of the progression of our fights with him. Going from the same move that Instant KO's us to mostly killing us to only doing a fraction of our health was a cool touch. I wish we had taken him out in a solo duty but it was fine as is.

Heavansward outside of Thordan himself was kinda rear end until the finale in 4.3 so SB has time still. I've not been a huge fan of the story in 4.1 and 2 but at least things happened.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I liked the running crew in Stormblood better. Estinien is bit too dour for my tastes so Lyse and Gosetsu were pretty refreshing, and while I love Alphinaud I’ll take Alisaie over him any day of the week.

The real question is would you rather marry hien or aymeric?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Blockhouse posted:

Meanwhile Nidhogg disappears for large stretches of HW, Thordan does nothing for most of the expansion and you meet him like twice, and I can't tell you most of the Heaven's Ward's names with a gun to my head.

Zenos, for all intents and purposes, appears to be set up as the dark mirror of the protagonist. He's not some scheming merchant, angry furry tribesman, priest king who would be a god, agnostic mechanoemperor or shadowy rear end in a top hat from beyond time and space. He is a man who lives though violence, is capable of perceiving and interacting with the backbeat of the universe itself and appears to be loving unkillable.

He IS basically the protagonist, but working for the other side of the current conflict.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 20, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Please make fun of me, I need to feel so ashamed that I don't do a second one.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

SonicRulez posted:

You could have done literally anything else with your time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I actually quite like the Stormblood leitmotif :(

shas
Jul 27, 2011

halfway through level 16, almost there.

the end is almost in sight.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Ibblebibble posted:

I legitimately love it and as much as I love Revenge Twofold and Fractal Hard, I actively dislike fighting Ultima Beast because it doesn't play SB's boss theme. No other reason.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I liked the running crew in Stormblood better. Estinien is bit too dour for my tastes so Lyse and Gosetsu were pretty refreshing, and while I love Alphinaud I’ll take Alisaie over him any day of the week.

Yotsuyu Aymeric, duh

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Have you seen Hien's textures? Man hasn't changed his coat since 2002.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

I hate getting Bardam's because there's like a 90% chance you're gonna end up with a tank in 270 gear who just gets turned into a greasy stain on the ground

This. This is why Bardam's sucked SO GODDAMN BAD at launch.

And now I just reminded myself how easy it was to heal a tank in mixed un/upgraded shire gear as a WHM. Reset the clock!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Eureka has motivated me to go back and work on my ARR relic. Finally finished the book step tonight!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

jalapeno_dude posted:

Eureka has motivated me to go back and work on my ARR relic. Finally finished the book step tonight!

I've done every ARR relic up to at least the Zenith step and I've been working on their Atma steps as I level all my classes to 60.

So I'm only at elemental level 7 right now. I feel like I've gotten lucky riding FATE trains, and even if the experience I get is reduced because of my low level, it still beats farming regular mobs. Plus there are plenty of people around willing to raise me when I die. At least now people have a good opportunity to get those Good Samaritan achievements nobody ever bothered with before, right?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

re: the Easter event

Leih finally has a family

I'm so happy ;-;

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ibblebibble posted:

I do too. I just wish it didn't play all of the time!

Nodosaur posted:

re: the Easter event

Leih finally has a family

I'm so happy ;-;

She still bullies me for being a Wildwood, though. :argh:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SonicRulez posted:

Ah, I see what you've done. You've taken common sense and defecated on it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Blockhouse posted:

SB's story of revolution and colonization and finding the will to fight when you've already been crushed into the dirt speaks to me more than HW doing the standard JRPG ancient race war plot with pretty much all the same beats as always (well-executed and presented beats grant you but there's very little new in that story).
As someone who only discovered the Scholasticate the day before yesterday, I urge you to explore the Scholasticate.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Nessus posted:

I don't quite get why Zenos appeals so deeply to people, though. I mean, I understood his role and he carried it out, and this is certainly a Final Fantasy archetype, but it seems like there's some part of him that appeals to many deeply, and which I just don't perceive.

Zenos' english VA is, by loving miles, the best voice in the entire cast. Every once in awhile I load up the CS immediately before the royal menagerie so I can listen to him belt out his monologue again and chew the scenery to absolute shreds.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
The best part about SB is the Steppe and the worst part about SB is they haven't put an awesome loving questline in there that updates every patch and have instead devoted effort to other dumb things like Eureka.

HW was better because it had a lot of hot elf guys. Also it wasn't afraid to kill people, which SB apparently is. I'm good with nobody dying but I hate fake outs. And if we end up getting one or both of those murderer chicks on the scions for whatever dumb rear end pull redemption arc they seem to want to impress on me, I better at least get Zenos. He's better than the both of them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

On the subject of VAs, I think the only out and out downgrade was losing Richard Epcar as Ilberd. The 1.0 cast is generally outshown by their UK counterparts but. I dunno. Epcar just sounded legitimately more menacing.

Also, I hope whatever questline they add to the Steppe involves Magnai to continue failing to get a girlfriend.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Gearhead posted:

Zenos, for all intents and purposes, appears to be set up as the dark mirror of the protagonist. He's not some scheming merchant, angry furry tribesman, priest king who would be a god, agnostic mechanoemperor or shadowy rear end in a top hat from beyond time and space. He is a man who lives though violence, is capable of perceiving and interacting with the backbeat of the universe itself and appears to be loving unkillable.

He IS basically the protagonist, but working for the other side of the current conflict.
This is something I realized over the course of playing Stormblood, and it's why it works to me that he isn't actually a Luca Blight analogue.

I created Tiny to be a joke character in reverence to TERROR BALTIMORE during a gifted 30-day trial, not realizing how endearing the character and her interactions with the NPCs or even other PCs would end up being. I had long since abandoned the idea of roleplaying or caring about lore, but she felt like a character of her own that I was guiding through the game like any of the FF protagonists in their respective games. Over time, there would be hints that her power scared even some of her closest friends and allies a little, and the dialogue helped me embrace that a little.

Zenos made me angry the first time I encountered him; I felt he was almost surmountable the second time around, but by the time 4.0 ended after everything happened I had the same feeling towards the character he professed for the WoL.I'm not sure how my WoL will react when seeing him in the flesh, nor how I will for that matter.

I have a hard time thinking of him as a bad villain or even character when he helped change how I saw my own PC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nodosaur posted:

On the subject of VAs, I think the only out and out downgrade was losing Richard Epcar as Ilberd. The 1.0 cast is generally outshown by their UK counterparts but. I dunno. Epcar just sounded legitimately more menacing.

Merlwyb's replacement was terrible, too. I liked grizzled old pirate queen with a deep and gravely voice.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Merlwyb's replacement was terrible, too. I liked grizzled old pirate queen with a deep and gravely voice.

Yeah she’s bad, but Merlwyb has done so little since 1.0 I just tend to forget her new VA even exists.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SonicRulez posted:

you have all the crystals to make a second one. it literally just involves letting an autoclicker run on the anemos turn in while you wait for a pazuzu to spawn.

it takes less time to get all of the relic weapons than it does to hit level 19, honestly.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Meiteron posted:

Zenos' english VA is, by loving miles, the best voice in the entire cast. Every once in awhile I load up the CS immediately before the royal menagerie so I can listen to him belt out his monologue again and chew the scenery to absolute shreds.

I still think about this dumb meme sometimes and it makes me smile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuCib9jVvI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Same. Old Merlwyb sounded like she's been smoking handrolled cigarettes since she was 8, and it was great.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 20, 2018