Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I set my desktop to update at 3:30 am when I'm asleep. guy must have a hosed sleep schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
well he is a twitch streamer of cs go

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i almost cant believe anyone plays cs go in 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

triple sulk posted:

people are probably still playing 1.6

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

I set my desktop to update at 3:30 am when I'm asleep. guy must have a hosed sleep schedule

don't set it to anything manually. let it determine when to reboot based on usage and it will pick a time when you regularly don't use it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

don't set it to anything manually. let it determine when to reboot based on usage and it will pick a time when you regularly don't use it

of course if you regularly do things like rendering video/3D queues you're SOL

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

doesn't work if you hibernate/shutdown instead of sleeping

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would you do that?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also I don't think that's true if you have wake timers enabled

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

triple sulk posted:

I didnt understand cs go at all until it was finally pointed out to me that it's actually all about gambling / money laundering

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Linguica posted:

I didnt understand cs go at all until it was finally pointed out to me that it's actually all about gambling / money laundering

it's about ethics in money laundering

oh and Asus bios on the laptops are broken in win 10, 9 time out of 10 restarting it causes the interrupts to go haywire and use 20%cpu on the acpi.sys driver

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my stepdads beer posted:

it's good he got those critical security updates before becoming an infection vector

wait whatever happened to that hot update/reload win7 was supposed to have

only really matters for core installs, general desktop installs have way too much poo poo to support hotpatching and you're going to see a reboot every month

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theultimo posted:

oh and Asus laptops are broken
wow, really? no poo poo?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

also I don't think that's true if you have wake timers enabled

wake timer will trigger on hibernate but not shutdown

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Shaggar posted:

naw because "when I'm not using it" in practice has meant it updates the precise moment I'm in the mood to play a game or watch a movie

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

naw because "when I'm not using it" in practice has meant it updates the precise moment I'm in the mood to play a game or watch a movie

ive basically never been interupted by a windows update since like windows xp. id ont know how you foilks manage to hold the computer so wrong, so consistently. perhaps try aligning your use case and usage habits with normal people instead of basement dwelling trolls and see how it improves you life :smug: :smaug:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I fixed it by scheduling it because I have an actual sleep schedule lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

by default that's 3am and then it watches how you use it and if you use it until like 1 or 2 frequently it will bump it further into the morning.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/paulstovell/status/727687528002637824/photo/1

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this is why ms is cool as heck

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's simple and to the point

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

ill take the one thats advertising free, thanks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

no, we meant you get the advertising free of charge

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's even worse than advertising. it's active directory lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fake

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/azure-active-directory/features.aspx

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's on this page https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-editions/

super glad I can't actually parse these two paragraphs

quote:

Azure Active Directory Basic - Designed for task workers with cloud-first needs, this edition provides cloud centric application access and self-service identity management solutions. With the Basic edition of Azure Active Directory, you get productivity enhancing and cost reducing features like group-based access management, self-service password reset for cloud applications, and Azure Active Directory Application Proxy (to publish on-premises web applications using Azure Active Directory), all backed by an enterprise-level SLA of 99.9 percent uptime.

Azure Active Directory Premium - Designed to empower organizations with more demanding identity and access management needs, Azure Active Directory Premium edition adds feature-rich enterprise-level identity management capabilities and enables hybrid users to seamlessly access on-premises and cloud capabilities. This edition includes everything you need for information worker and identity administrators in hybrid environments across application access, self-service identity and access management (IAM), identity protection and security in the cloud. It supports advanced administration and delegation resources like dynamic groups and self-service group management. It includes Microsoft Identity Manager (an on-premises identity and access management suite) and provides cloud write-back capabilities enabling solutions like self-service password reset for your on-premises users.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

:yayclod:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i'm the enterprise-level sla with three nines

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

it's on this page https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-editions/

looks like someone was trying to force everything into that fixed width layout.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

lol come on.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

here shaggar it's on github so you can edit it and make it better (assuming u can figure out git)
https://github.com/Azure/azure-content/blob/master/articles/active-directory/active-directory-editions.md

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

no it looks like someone has no idea how information design works so they did something dumb instead

I remember a long time ago getting tasked with seeing if we could do a decent intranet in sharepoint and I was talking to our sharepoint expert and my first question was "hey can we make the content column wider" and the guy was like "lol not without months of work"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right. they were trying to cram the stuff from the full table into the tiny column w/out getting rid of the table or doing it another way

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

there's no excusing this shaggar

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

you can also add a comma to that sentence to make it about the comparison table

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

T A S K W O R K E R S W I T H C L O U D F I R S T N E E D S

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

In a hosed up future world where the Thurrott-Kevin Hypothesis comes true, North Korea will send out propaganda photos of Kim Jong Un drawing up world domination plans on an iPad.

wow, your straw man is turning into a full-blown fan fiction! i like it! what happens next?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Windows 10 completely ignores the "no auto restart with logged on users" group policy setting/registry setting. the only thing you can do is set it to manual check for updates only. if you have it set to prompt to install, prompt to reset, it will display a big "updates are ready" banner every hour or so covering the whole screen, and the only button loads windows update; there's no "i know let me get back to work goddamnit" button. either way as soon as updates are installed its rebooting, the best you can do is use group policy to make it let you schedule a time or delay by a certain amount.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

all i know is some days i wake up to a nice notification that windows has updated everything for me.

hasn't once prompted me about it or interrupted my yosposting.

worksformewontfix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

apple on the other hand can't do whit without me hand holding it and responding to prompts

• Locked thread