Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bakugou is just kinda an alright dude these days. A big part of that is character development but another part of that is Horikoshi backpedaling from how he was initially presented. The same thing is happening with Endeavour except not quite as well.

Endeavor, right in the middle of his redemption arc, had flashback scenes to him abusing Todoroki and the strong implication that one of his kids is a serial killer and it's his fault for being a terrible father.

There's a lot of "Endeavor was a lovely dude." in the "he's trying to change" arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Larryb posted:

The Boruto anime is actually genuinely good, don’t bother with the manga though.

I feel the exact opposite. Manga is a great read. Can’t stand the Anime.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bakugou is just kinda an alright dude these days. A big part of that is character development but another part of that is Horikoshi backpedaling from how he was initially presented. The same thing is happening with Endeavour except not quite as well.

Endeavour is at least acknowledging his abuse and trying to atone for it slowly. Bakugou just got a tiny bit more chill and never really touched on the fact that he was basically a bully from a Stephen King story with how violent he got. Endeavour's redemption arc is already miles better.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Katsuki will finally atone for his past by taking a swan dive off a roof to save Izuku.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Endeavor, right in the middle of his redemption arc, had flashback scenes to him abusing Todoroki and the strong implication that one of his kids is a serial killer and it's his fault for being a terrible father.

There's a lot of "Endeavor was a lovely dude." in the "he's trying to change" arc.

Endeavor is still a lovely dude but he is written and presented in a distinct enough way that I think is not entirely explained from the different context of his recent arc.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Endeavor is still a lovely dude but he is written and presented in a distinct enough way that I think is not entirely explained from the different context of his recent arc.

I don’t really see this, Endeavour seems to be consistent to me. Insomuch as someone who realised he was a complete asshat can be consistent.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think the specifics of his monstrousness are kinda not reflected in his recent appearances. I mean, he treated family as a genetic experiment. I didn't get that from him in the Hawks/Endeavour arc. Like yeah obviously that is the reason why he is a bad Dad and Spouse, and him being a bad Dad and Spouse is totally still a part of his character. But when we explore him and his relationship with his family I don't think it comes off like "Oh yeah, he didn't even really see them as people until like a month ago." It's probably a good idea to ignore this part of his character because it's kind of completely ridiculous and also hard to work into redemption. But even so it's really hard for me to accept he regularly buys flowers for his hospitalised wife when he supposedly only saw her as a quirk.

I'm not even saying his redemption arc is bad, I was actually pretty into the Hawks/Endeavour arc. They have an interesting dynamic. But it still just reads as kind of weird and awkward

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

That feels less like an inconsistency and more like your reading of Endeavour based on Shoto’s backstory as not being the whole picture. It is possible he kept trying for that perfect quirk child without it entirely being a genetic experiment.

As a more monstrous example of this idea Mad Max Fury Road has some stuff about Immortan Joe wanting a perfect son to be his successor and legacy, as his first and second sons are either incapable physically or mentally. But he still recognised them and treats them as his family, whilst being a monster with garbage ideas.

The important bit here is that Endeavour neglected the children who were not perfect, but he did not abandon or throw them away. If I remember they got to play whilst Shoto trained even. So he was an abusive awful monster, and that’s not changed, we just have some more info on the shape and nature of him and how that abuse played out from him.

As a sort of thought stream. Enji Todoroki convinces Rei’s parents to marry her to him, they have a marriage with little love and an explicit understanding of children/good traditional family. He has several kids, the first three prove to be not what he’s looking for. Touya burns hotter but has almost no resistance and the other two also seem to have bad combos, then Shoto is born and is perfect, Endeavour promptly neglects his other children, perhaps pushing Touya to do something foolish and burn himself, and this ultimately amounts to physical abuse instead of actual training. Rei watches him get worse and worse and more and more violent, and this leads to the thing with the Kettle.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 23, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori playing with his figurines again.

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1153656489384411136?s=19

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I appreciate the sneak peek to Uraraka's new hero item and I agree with Horikoshi's choice.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

ochako is becoming too powerful

between inevitable gravity crush and now laser cannons she's set for #1

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So if there's a Godzilla hero, that must mean there's a Ghidorah villain, right?

When is Mei building MechaGodzilla

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The disconnect is that mass murdering your own family is a very rare occurrence in real life so the idea is mostly abstract to the audience. Being bullied relentlessly by a classmate or abused by your father is far more common and relatable so forgiving a character for that in a comic you like is a lot harder.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bakugo is the real hero and honestly he should have bullied deku even more beacuse when deku is finally given the power he lusts for the first thing he does is almost suicide by flexing himself too hard and then just gets worse at it until he get's the brilliant idea of "What instead of just making my fist strong and leaving my arm weak I make the whole thing strong" and then he generally just fucks up and is given powerups by outside forces or tries to give his power away.

There I've made a stupid take that's still somehow less dumb than Bakugo discourse.

What is with you and your obsession with bullying children? This is even creepier than what Crabtree wrote.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eej posted:

The disconnect is that mass murdering your own family is a very rare occurrence in real life so the idea is mostly abstract to the audience. Being bullied relentlessly by a classmate or abused by your father is far more common and relatable so forgiving a character for that in a comic you like is a lot harder.
:hmmyes:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bakugo is the real hero and honestly he should have bullied deku even more because when deku is finally given the power he lusts for the first thing he does is almost suicide by flexing himself too hard and then just gets worse at it until he gets the brilliant idea of "What instead of just making my fist strong and leaving my arm weak I make the whole thing strong" and then he generally just fucks up and is given powerups by outside forces or tries to give his power away.

There I've made a stupid take that's still somehow less dumb than Bakugo discourse.
No I'm pretty sure this still takes the whole dumb cake.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Eej posted:

See: The exact same idea in action in Homestuck's two main villains; the first a universe-destroying genocide, the second (mostly characterized as) a misogynist. People's visceral reaction was far stronger to the latter than the former, and it makes perfect sense.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Some new story info was released about the new MHA spin-off "Team Up Mission":

It will focus on Deku & friends fighting together along with Pro-Heroes.

Kind of disappointed that it's not focusing on a new cast of characters like Vigilantes, but I guess this could be a way to give a lot of the lesser used cast members more screen time. Also wondering how this'll fit into the timeline of the main series, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Finally.... we can Homestuck in the MHA thread

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Probably the time we've skipped since the Overhaul arc, or another incoming time skip for the class following this arc.

Or it's a basically a Schrodinger's Canon thing. Stuff that makes sense or people like becomes Canon as needed

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Maybe Invisible Girl, Naval-Gazer, Fluttershy, and Sugar-Lips will finally do something!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if Class B will get any screen time in it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wasn't there supposed to be a females spin-off at some point too?

Or was that people being hopeful after they did nothing during the Overhaul Arc?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
No that's being done but basically almost none of it has been scanned or translated

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Only the first chapter was translated

Incidentally, they were also made by the same person doing the Team Up Mission spinoff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

This is part of it, though in what I was saying specifically, I was also mostly saying what I think will happen, not what I want to happen, but at least one person conflated the two. I like evil rear end in a top hat Shiggy, and was one of his few fans here even before he developed into anything beyond an evil manchild (which has been great, some of the best stuff in a very good comic), but based on the themes and patterns and stuff I'm seeing in the comic, I think he's going to be "saved" by Deku by the end. And if that does happen, I hope it doesn't just lead to him then dying or getting a life sentence, because that feels like a cop-out, and the prison system in this comic (or at least Tartarus) is torture and I dislike that kind of thing being presented as justice.

"I saved the villain!"
"Oh really? That's amazing! How'd you do it?"
"I made him realize he was bad, then he killed himself!"/"Sent him to jail where he'll be locked up with no human contact, ability to move, or anything to do except think about what an rear end in a top hat he used to be for the rest of his life!"

If I'm right and he does go down the "saving" path, then I hope Horikoshi actually commits to it instead of trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe getting Shigaraki to care about something other than destroying everything is how Deku will reach out to him.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Only the first chapter was translated

Incidentally, they were also made by the same person doing the Team Up Mission spinoff.

That was really funny, what a shame that nothing else has been translated.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Viz thinks there's some money in it they'll probably localize it. Smash and the LNs are getting localized so who knows. Normally that poo poo never gets officially brought over but mha is huge.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What ending do you think would work for the actual murderer Shigaraki? I mean, yeah their prison system sucks rear end but I'm drawing a blank at what other kind of ending there could be waiting for him.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shinjobi posted:

What ending do you think would work for the actual murderer Shigaraki? I mean, yeah their prison system sucks rear end but I'm drawing a blank at what other kind of ending there could be waiting for him.

AfO: You fools this is exactly what I wanted
*promptly slips his mind into Shiggy's body and breaks out of prison*
*then gets plastered across the street by Deku and Bakugo's team attack*

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Shinjobi posted:

victory

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bacon flaps posted:

ochako is becoming too powerful

between inevitable gravity crush and now laser cannons she's set for #1

Deku's going to be the greatest hero because he helped Uraraka get into U.A.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

How do you even put a guy who can disintegrate everything he touches in prison? He doesn't even have the "needs 5 fingers to touch it" limitation anymore. Even if you lock him up like AfO his quirk might be fast enough now to crumble the guns before they can fire.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

How do you even put a guy who can disintegrate everything he touches in prison? He doesn't even have the "needs 5 fingers to touch it" limitation anymore. Even if you lock him up like AfO his quirk might be fast enough now to crumble the guns before they can fire.

tiny, tiny manacles

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nephthys posted:

Doesn't he still need to do 5-finger contact on some surface? Sure the decay can travel but if you prevent contact it's still doable.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Nephthys posted:

Oxxidation posted:

tiny, tiny manacles

Kyte posted:

Doesn't he still need to do 5-finger contact on some surface? Sure the decay can travel but if you prevent contact it's still doable.

"How can we imprison him when he doesn't need five finger contact anymore! :eek:"
"We'll just keep him from touching things with all five fingers! :downs:"

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
He will join the good guys, but will still be really cool and still murder a lot of people.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nephthys posted:

Cut off his hands.

It's not exactly humane but you asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
good enough for overhaul good enough for shiggy