Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the circle shaped one is like a jillion times faster and loads everything basically instantly. its fully sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've two Chromecast 1s. They occasionally lag a bit. The Chromecast 2 is snappy as hell though. And no strange battery drain on any of them.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Smythe posted:

the circle shaped one is like a jillion times faster and loads everything basically instantly. its fully sick

I bought my dad one of the 4k ones for Christmas and he seems to like it.

I wish I the $$$ for a 4k anything. :smith:

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I loving love my Chromecast and if you dislike it you are bad or have bad equipment. My gen 2 is a godsend for work and gen 1 works great for Plex streaming on my secondary TV, the first TV using the amazing wonderful Nvidia Shield TV which coincidentally also works as a Chromecast if needed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I went to bitch to support about the kneecapped Play Music, that I've complained a few days ago. They finally came back and say that it's indeed geo-blocking. Musical gernes and filtering thereof is a loving basic feature that should be always present. I just don't understand that insane company.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

I went to bitch to support about the kneecapped Play Music, that I've complained a few days ago. They finally came back and say that it's indeed geo-blocking. Musical gernes and filtering thereof is a loving basic feature that should be always present. I just don't understand that insane company.
I assumed everyone had to deal with this lovely interface but this was last straw, think I'll end up moving to Spotify. Exporting/importing playlists is annoying but oh well. Not having to use 3rd party desktop app will be nice as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What advantages does a Chromecast have over Plex + a PS3?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It costs $35?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Portability and ease of guest access.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Were you supposed to get an email confirmation from signing up for the essential?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The worst thing about Play Music is the fact it doesn't display/grey out missing tracks in playlists (due to expired licensing agreements, regional restrictions etc.). Spotify has an option called "Show unavailable songs in playlists" on desktop as well as mobile. That way I'm not wondering whether I'm going crazy or some songs actually are missing from my playlists due to expired licensing agreements.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bull3964 posted:

No music, watching stuff. If I'm going laundry or cooking or something, just easier to grab it.

Oh so YOU'RE that guy at the laundromat

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ugh whatever jeez posted:

I assumed everyone had to deal with this lovely interface but this was last straw, think I'll end up moving to Spotify. Exporting/importing playlists is annoying but oh well. Not having to use 3rd party desktop app will be nice as well.
Spotify works relatively reliable. I've been on it after a stint on Windows Phone, and when I came back, GPM was already doing this stupid stuff.

The only annoying things are that Spotify doesn't really want to start up when a Bluetooth device requests music playback, unless it's already running in background (GPM always came up, at least in the past). And when a BT device requests playback while you're on your WLAN network with your computer and Spotify running, it'll start playing over there occasionally than say in your car (my big pet peeve).

However it does have Replaygain, so all songs have roughly the same volume. That makes up for it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hooah posted:

The power bill of your PS3 probably can buy 1 chromestick in 6 months.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

WLAN network with your computer and Spotify running, it'll start playing over there

This is a feature called remote play or remote control or something and I believe it can be turned off. Spotify is v good ime, having used both it and GPM I prefer Spotify

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Moto Z2 Play has been announced - it is Verizon only, has a smaller battery, and costs $500 :lol::lol:

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
How do I force apps to open links in Chrome instead of embedded browsers on a Samsung S7? If I get a text with a link, it opens in a lovely embedded browser, and if I click the thing in the corner I only have the option of opening it in Samsung Internet.

Also, Facebook Messenger opens Facebook links in an embedded browser instead of the Facebook app. That's dumb.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Boz0r posted:

How do I force apps to open links in Chrome instead of embedded browsers on a Samsung S7? If I get a text with a link, it opens in a lovely embedded browser, and if I click the thing in the corner I only have the option of opening it in Samsung Internet.

Also, Facebook Messenger opens Facebook links in an embedded browser instead of the Facebook app. That's dumb.

Facebook Messenger has a "links open externally" setting.

I don't know if this helps with Samsung apps, but in Settings -> Google -> Search -> Accounts & Privacy try toggling "Open web pages in app".

And maybe try going to Settings -> Apps -> Samsung Internet and "Clear defaults" to get the "default app" prompt again and set your Browser app to Chrome right below.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 1, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hooah posted:

It's much cheaper, you can control it with your phone, it can do plex + every other music and video service, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh so YOU'RE that guy at the laundromat

If by laundromat you mean my basement, sure.

Syrinxx posted:

The Moto Z2 Play has been announced - it is Verizon only, has a smaller battery, and costs $500 :lol::lol:

Timed exclusive just like last year and it hits the same pricepoint of the previous Moto Z play. The reduced battery is a bummer, but stuff like the camera has bee substantially upgraded.

If people want the long battery life phone, it looks like the new Moto X is going to be the one to look out for.

For those that want to roll your own Nintendo Switch, it looks like the controller mod will be $80.

https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-mods-gamepad-turbopower-jbl-soundboost-2-pricing-availability

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 1, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Who's ready for 8GB of Ram? ZTE, that's who:

https://phoneradar.com/nubia-z17-snapdragon-835-soc-8gb-ram-23mp-dual-cameras-launched/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have to say that the new battery mod that was announced for the Moto Z line is pretty compelling. My cheap-rear end Moto Z that I bought last year came with the original Incipio pack and it's really good for letting my Moto Z (which I use as a chromecast remote around the house and such) last for a decent long while. However, it's only 2200 mAh, lacks it's own charging port, and only trickle charges the phone.

This new TurboPowerPack is 3490, uses QC to recharge the phone, and has it's own USB-C port that can be fast charged off the phone.

That's pretty compelling in general. It makes the phone a little bit of a brick when attached, but there are very few combos that are going to match the overall longevity and portability as a combo.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Calaveron posted:

Were you supposed to get an email confirmation from signing up for the essential?

I didn't get anything - it did state they'd just contact us once a phone is available to be ordered but I did think it was odd they didn't send any initial email with confirmation too.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Syrinxx posted:

It will be $10 a month for 24 months by Black Friday.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

comper posted:

I didn't get anything - it did state they'd just contact us once a phone is available to be ordered but I did think it was odd they didn't send any initial email with confirmation too.

Were you able to pick your state? I did mine over mobile and I managed to input everything but the state dropdown wouldn't work

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Calaveron posted:

Were you able to pick your state? I did mine over mobile and I managed to input everything but the state dropdown wouldn't work

Yeah, I was able to fill in all of the fields.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

whatever7 posted:

It will be $10 a month for 24 months by Black Friday.

Likely cheaper than that. The full blown Moto Z I picked up during black Friday from best buy was only $4.99 a month and it let me pay the whole thing off right away. So, I got a Moto Z Droid, JBL Speaker Mod, and battery pack mod for $120.

It's great that Best Buy can't do carrier billing credits.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Honestly, the Z2 Play seems like it could be described as "a G5 Plus, but with more features". Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if what was holding you back from the G5 Plus was the lack of USB-C and NFC support and you don't mind spending the extra money.

You still don't get a great camera, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto X may fit that bill even more honestly. It's supposed to be SD660 with dual cameras, HD screen, and a whopping 3800mAh battery.

Basically, it seems like Moto is making their "normal" phone line and then a phone line for Moto Mods with only the flagship being exclusive to the Z line.

I would suspect that the Moto X4 would be around the same price as the Z play (maybe a tiny bit more) and would be the "everyman" phone.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If the Z2 is a GSM unlocked phone I would consider getting it to replace my Note 4.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 1, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think Moto sells all of their phones unlocked

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There will be a Verizon only variant launching first and then a GSM unlocked variant launching later.

We are also expecting the Z2 Force to be announced sometime soon as well which should have SD835 and the shatterproof screen (at a flagship price.)

The real wildcard right now is where the Moto X4 is going to slot and when it will come out. SD660 and 3800mAh on a 1080p screen is going to be one hell of a long lasting beast.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hooah posted:

when my friends come over and it turns into beers and fail army video youtube time, they can all send vids to the queue from their phones. it works great and is hells of ownage. also i dont have a video game console or use for one.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the only thing in my entertainment center, heh, under the drat tv - yes, thats right - its my Bang and Olufson Beomaster 4500 with attached BeoCD and twin Bang and Olufson RedLine speakers - horizontal configuration. Thanks.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Blue Train posted:

It's hosed and an ultra niche product and as such is doomed to fail

But is the keyboard any good?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I keep on asking myself if I did the right thing getting the Pixel for $10/mo from Verizon during Black Friday; I only upgrade every 2 years at a minimum anyways. Is it goon consensus that this was a good deal? I prefer not thinking for myself, thank you.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

jokes posted:

I keep on asking myself if I did the right thing getting the Pixel for $10/mo from Verizon during Black Friday; I only upgrade every 2 years at a minimum anyways. Is it goon consensus that this was a good deal? I prefer not thinking for myself, thank you.

$240 for a Pixel is a drat good deal, but really it depends on how much your Verizon bill is each month. If it's somewhere around $90 or lower for your line and finance plan then yes it is a very good deal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jokes posted:

That's a bargain at twice the price.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

jokes posted:

No, getting a $650 phone for $240 was a terrible deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

jokes posted:

I was sick of my HTC one m7 so I paid full price for a pixel XL and feel it was worth it.

You got a goddamn steel, I have no idea how you can doubt yourself.