Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How do you deal with verbal abuse from the players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

If it were U10s I could understand looking the other way (heck some of the leagues I do won't do cards til U11), but if it's a match where there's cards in play then that's the send off you dream of getting because no one in the world can argue with it. I have yet to have a send off be that clear cut outside of fighting. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've ever had to give DOGSO. Hmmm. Knock on wood.

Jhet, I got in touch with the guy who moved there (he's a Full Adult and not a young guy, state was just hoping to use him to help groom younger folks) and he said he got connected with people and is actually starting high school games soon. I'll probably check in with you in a few months to see if you've worked with him. Small world and all that.

Good, I'm glad that he's hooked up with high school already. Just let me know if he needs anything as we aren't likely to cross paths until the state tournament in high school unless he's in my assigning regions. And with it being his first year here, he won't make it to the tournament. Just one of those things.

As for sending offs, I've given everything except for DOGSO-H. It's just never come up. So unless you have local rules of competition that keep cards from the game, please use them properly everyone. It makes our lives easier in the long run. Sure, you may make a 12 year old girl cry when you send her off for DOGSO, but after you calm the coach down, show some compassion and help him use it as a learning tool. We don't coach on the field, but we can make it easier for the coach to deal with difficult things like that.

chaoslord posted:

Our state camp came and went and we are moving to the online test, which is cool. And since USSF says they can't require fitness test/assessments for G7 anymore, our state is using a Referee Development program to kind of get around that. No matter what your grade is, if you are in the program you have to pass the 35/40 interval test and get three assessments, 2 center and 1 AR. One of the centers has to be on adult league, the other can be as low as U16 (an assessment on a game with 35 minute halves on a tournament weekend sounds glorious) but could also be adult if you want. The two centers have to be in different leagues. Being part of the program will give you preferential assignments in state, help with big travel tournaments (Disney Showcase/GIT), and fast tracked for upgrade. Theoretically, that means I could have completed all the necessary requirements to be a Grade 6 by next summer, but I'm going to target that as Summer 2016 goal because I'm getting married at the end of this year and I don't know how much time I will really have to devote to this afterwards.

Here we're doing something similar and calling it a referee academy. If you're a 6, you must do the fitness test and advanced clinic. If you want to be a 7+ basically, you do the fitness and the advanced clinic. There's pay bumps, you're on the first list for games at state tournaments, and you're on the list to be eligible to go to Regionals. I too am just counting games at this point, and while my assignor is trying to help me out with the amateur adult game count, there's only one day a week to get the games, so the most I get in a week until spring is 2. Hopefully, I can get what I need via MRL and KPL (Kentucky Premier League, it's new!).

Charlotte Hornets posted:

How do you deal with verbal abuse from the players?

If you're calling it abuse, you should likely be sending them off. I settle it down and put a stop to it while they're still in the complaining stages. Proactively, I try to keep it from moving to the abusive stage when they get to call it a day. It's not always going to be successful and is a tool that you learn over time by making mistakes in how you talk to players. This isn't an easy one. So if you try to keep it cool and it doesn't work, then they've done something you need to send them off for. The key is trying to keep them from getting to that point through positioning, presence, and your talking to them.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I hate to post so much in this thread, but it's HIGH SCHOOL SEASON with CRAZY RULES!!!

I was assigned a High School center next week with current National Referees as my ARs and a mentor/assessor in the stands. It's a preseason top-level HS boys game, so I'm not sure what the significance is (am I being scouted? etc).

I can't wait to show what I've got.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 29, 2014

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bio-Hazard posted:

I hate to post so much in this thread, but it's HIGH SCHOOL SEASON with CRAZY RULES!!!

I was assigned a High School center next week with current National Referees as my ARs and a mentor/assessor in the stands. It's a preseason top-level HS boys game, so I'm not sure what the significance is (am I being scouted? etc).

I can't wait to show what I've got.

Post all you want. It's not like this thread is bombarded with trash talk like the league ones.

The NY season is starting in two weeks. I am probably going to miss the month of November for some shoulder surgery, (to repair a bunch of tears in the cuff and tendons).
We had a local girls league tournament last week that woke me up to how I got to get back to running more. We also had a errant dog run onto the field, but it did not poo anywhere. Which was a bit of disappointment, it was hot and humid a short break would have been welcome.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Season just got back underway for us and of course it was the hottest weekend of the year (felt that way at least). This is also the first season of U11s being 8v8, so I got the pleasure of working a 3-man system on the tiny field for 3 games. Sunday was on a brand new turf field that retained a godawful amount of heat and was lined for about 12 different sports.

I did hear a new one from a coach though; when a kid inevitably took the throw-in from the wrong line and we called the foul throw, the coach tried to argue that "the ball was never in play" and we should have let him take it again. "....coach, the ball is never in play on a throw-in. That's why it's a foul throw, because he put it in play incorrectly." He gave me a face like I was speaking Chinese and I decided it was better just to move on.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Thinking about crossposting this in one of the MLS threads, but I'll start here with it. PRO put out a series of video clips where the decision is "Offside or not?" Take a gander, see how many you can get right!

http://www.proreferees.com/news-offside-videos.php

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

Thinking about crossposting this in one of the MLS threads, but I'll start here with it. PRO put out a series of video clips where the decision is "Offside or not?" Take a gander, see how many you can get right!

http://www.proreferees.com/news-offside-videos.php

Imagine trying to explain those to a U13 coach. I do wish they'd have put the answers on a different page or spoilered them somehow.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
Suddenly realizing that 100 U-19+/Adult USSF centers is a LOT.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jhet posted:

Imagine trying to explain those to a U13 coach. I do wish they'd have put the answers on a different page or spoilered them somehow.

I wish there was some guidance on how strictly to apply this all the way down. Like, #5, I'm 100% okay with PRO's decision for professional matches, but at U13, like you brought up? IMO, should probably be offside. Obviously, going to let it go because my opinions don't outweigh official interpretation, but to most bystanders (and honestly to a lot of fellow referees) we will look clueless calling that.

Bio-Hazard posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup. And backup your log online, if you don't just keep your log online entirely. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bio-Hazard posted:

And the US has still only produced one competent official.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

I wish there was some guidance on how strictly to apply this all the way down. Like, #5, I'm 100% okay with PRO's decision for professional matches, but at U13, like you brought up? IMO, should probably be offside. Obviously, going to let it go because my opinions don't outweigh official interpretation, but to most bystanders (and honestly to a lot of fellow referees) we will look clueless calling that.

Use Law 18. Gauge the level of play, and make the call for the good of the game that's being played on the day. Are there problems with how offside is understood as they get older and better? Sure. But that's where my sarcasm is coming from. You're going to pop your flag on about half of those if they were to have happened in most of the U13 games we see in this country. Once you're looking at DA and regional levels of competition, we should be going more along the lines of what they want in those videos.

Does that mean we're applying being involved in play differently? Definitely. It's in the opinion of the referee on the day, which let's us do what's right for the game.

Fake Edit: 100+ full length centers is a lot. Especially when all of the high school and college games don't count for poo poo. I so very much hate the three competing law books.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Haven't checked in for a while. Probably.

I'm a Level 4 referee in the UK. That means I referee supply league (semi professional) matches, and act as an assistant referee on the contributory leagues. This is generally where floodlights and stands are compulsory, and spectator numbers can vary a bit... Tuesday night we had about 250 at the game.

All going well for me and very much enjoying it. Happy to answer any questions :-)

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
NY East region has officially decided that there is no physical requirement test for grade 7.

There is going to be a slew of unfit sevens this year into next.

Mewcenary, I'd be interested to know what time keeping method(s) / device(s) you use.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Lladre posted:

Mewcenary, I'd be interested to know what time keeping method(s) / device(s) you use.

Pretty standard, I think. I have one of those standard Casio referee timer watches counting down from 45:00, and I stop that as required for injuries and so on. My second watch is a Garmin Forerunner 610 that is running as a standard stopwatch and never stops, and also tracks my movement around the pitch so I can get an idea of how far I am running. Typically in a supply league game that will be 11-12km in total, and when on the line around 5 - 6.5km (tends to be more variable).

I'll indicate to my ARs how much time is remaining when we get close, just so they know what to expect and can advise the technical areas if appropriate (if I don't do that myself when passing). It's also as a good sanity check if in case I have screwed something up with both watches somehow (!)

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That is what I am doing as well, just without the GPS watch.
Two Casio's, the countdown one has the vibrating alarm which is great for me since I can have a hard time hearing the chyme.

I should look into getting one of those Garmin's, will hit the wife up for one on Christmas.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Lladre posted:

NY East region has officially decided that there is no physical requirement test for grade 7.

There is going to be a slew of unfit sevens this year into next.

South Texas has introduced a new grade 7 that doesn't require a PT but does require additional classroom and online training. These grade 7's will be able to do adult games(while next year Grade 8 will not) and the old grade 7 is now called......7+

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I sure am glad these new guidelines have been introduced to simplify things

(Not that it makes a whole lot of difference to me, I'm going to be an 8 for the foreseeable future either way)

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
In Oregon the requirements for 8/7/6 are staying the same. The USSF test changed to the more simple 50 question quiz and there's online video prior to the upgrade class. There is still a physical requirement every year for 7 and above.

I'm just now heading out to be AR1 on a top-level HS game with a notoriously bad coach. We'll see how this goes.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh I also forgot. Recertification test to be done "online" and apparently you get three tries at getting a passing grade of eighty percent.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Lamont Cranston posted:

I sure am glad these new guidelines have been introduced to simplify things

(Not that it makes a whole lot of difference to me, I'm going to be an 8 for the foreseeable future either way)

Yeah, USSF is super great. "Okay, no state can require a fitness test for grade 7 anymore! Well, I mean, individual leagues can require referees to pass a fitness test to work there. Or, I guess states can have special programs that require a fitness test. But, seriously guys, no fitness tests for grade 7s". Clear as mud, as with many things USSF has done.

I post on another board with Oregon's SRA (Bio-Hazard you have a really good guy in charge!), and this was something he said about the changes to all the grades. He's focusing mostly on the change from 5 as State I to 5 as National Candidate, and the getting rid of a lot of game count issues in lieu of a portfolio.

quote:

Okay, let's get brutally honest here. The problem is Cal-South. I think it is fair to say that Cal-South has a lot of excellent young referees, who are up and comers and who are willing and able to make the personal and economic sacrifices that are necessary to be a National Referee.

But, in a change in the way the game is administered, beyond the power of the referee community, there are, essentially, no affiliated adult amateur games in Cal-South. So where are those referees supposed to get the game experience they need to become National Candidates? They do unaffiliated Latino leagues where, I might add, the games are much more difficult than your average white bread league. Yes, you can understand that I think highly of referees who want to be big time referees having experience in ethnic leagues, if only to develop their player management skills to an extremely high level. You simply don't get the experience you need by doing U-16 Development Academy games where the players may even call you sir.

So the low level of affiliated game experience required for National Candidacy allows Herb's committee to look at the referees who have the real experience that's needed, without confining their review to just USSF affiliated games. Candidacy is a 'big front door, big back door' situation. If you can't cut it during your candidacy, you don't get the badge. A bunch of National Assessors are going to have to give you a thumbs up. We can talk about whether those Assessors are tough enough or not. IMHO, the number of failing grades at that level does not reflect how narrow the pyramid gets at the top end, but that's just my opinion. Maybe it is "false hope" for those who might want to be a National Candidate when they don't really have much experience. I think that any such referee from a more populated area is going to get the message from their peers and state administrators that they don't have a chance. I can tell you that I get asked regularly by State Referees whether I think they should be a Candidate or not. I know that National Assessors get asked that question a lot as well. Their "false hopes" crash against reality pretty quickly. The ones that truly have 'false hopes' are the ones from the smaller areas of the country, because they have nothing to compare themselves to and leadership that has no personal experience at a higher level either. But that's pretty much the story that's always going to be true for them and there really isn't much you can do about it. It is tough to tell people, "You don't deserve a chance," because some small number of them do deserve a chance.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That is a very well put together response. I used to think, sure, let's try to get my National badge. Then I actually spent some time around people with National badges and quickly realized that it isn't going to work. I have different priorities. That doesn't mean I'm a bad referee, but it does mean that I'll never have the national experience. I'll still likely get to work some various USL-PDL games, still can do a few DA events and whatever, and still can do Youth Regionals/Nationals.

Oh no! So I don't get to referee MLS games... This is the hurdle that so many young referees and even some older state referees need to come to terms with. Herb and the committee aren't trying to short change anyone, but they are trying to get the right people moving up the chain. This means that they'll find plenty of people who aren't meant to move to that level. Will it improve refereeing in this country at the higher levels? Maybe. Will it improve refereeing at the lower levels? Not likely.

On the topic of fitness tests. I like them. This year in KY ours was 45/45 intervals and 6x 9 sec/40m sprints. Granted, this is for our 7+ and 6 referees. We had maybe two or three people not make it. I'd like to see this get more difficult over time too. That is a change that will provide us with fitter referees at the very least. 7+ also requires assessment like your 6s. It's being used as a stepping stone/holding zone for people who should be moving to a State badge, but just don't have the game count. Will it work better in practice? We'll find out.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
"That was the most bullshit ref job I've ever seen. I know your boss! I'll call him up right now! Good luck getting games in this league after this. I TRAIN REFEREES."

Seriously, though, threatening a referee with his job over a Div 4 rec game? Might as well go cry to mommy.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hahahaha, he "trains" referees. What a joke.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bio-Hazard posted:

"That was the most bullshit ref job I've ever seen. I know your boss! I'll call him up right now! Good luck getting games in this league after this. I TRAIN REFEREES."

Seriously, though, threatening a referee with his job over a Div 4 rec game? Might as well go cry to mommy.

I wish you knew who it was so you could report him to your SRA. He would not tolerate crap like that, especially from a claimed referee instructor. If true, that kind of statement is a MASSIVE violation of the Code of Ethics. Amazing.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
The perfect storm for tomorrow: U14B Premier center, no ARs, bad weather, and I picked up an injury tonight. I normally have a smile the entire match; tomorrow I may be a bit pissy.

Edit: I also found my state SRA talking about a game I did on BigSoccer. He's a great guy, and very funny.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 25, 2014

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bio-Hazard posted:

The perfect storm for tomorrow: U14B Premier center, no ARs, bad weather, and I picked up an injury tonight. I normally have a smile the entire match; tomorrow I may be a bit pissy.

Edit: I also found my state SRA talking about a game I did on BigSoccer. He's a great guy, and very funny.

Ugh, that sounds like the worst. Good luck with that! Let us know how it goes.

Your SRA is one of my favorite internet people. I'd love to meet him sometime. His posts are very insightful because of his massive experience. He was on the NFHS Rules Committee for a little while, I think, and then his daughter is obviously very good at it, too. Him, MassRef, and PH really make me think about what I'm doing out on the field.

No updates in a while on my end, never got quite back into shape after my fathers passing and two month comfort food binge. Running plenty of D1 Adult Amateur ARs, but my upgrade to 6 will have to be put on hold for a little bit while I work on my fitness in the offseason break. State Cup on Nov 8/9, then I'll put my stuff in the closet until the end of January.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004

chaoslord posted:

Ugh, that sounds like the worst. Good luck with that! Let us know how it goes.

"Hey! This isn't the referee show!"

The game was cake. 3 yellows: 1 Delaying Restart, 1 Reckless slide tackle, 1 Tactical shoulder outside the area. Gave a hawkeye-type goal on the last play of the game to the team that was down, making it 3-2.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Good to hear your game was fine!

My state finally got around to doing recerts online this year. The Grade 7 test continues to be the easiest test of any sort I've taken since I left elementary school.

Since we were told we could retake the test if we failed (lol), I ran a little experiment and let my fiancee take the test. I've taken her to some Sporting KC games since they are the closest MLS team to here (4 hours :argh:) and a USMNT back in the Hex. She watched the world cup, too. That is her knowledge of soccer.

Would anyone care to guess what she scored on it? It's 50 questions.

45/50, 90%

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

45/50, 90%

I'm not sure if I should be depressed or excited. She should pick up a whistle.

I'm done with High School, USSF, and college in KY now. Moving to Seattle, so I get to start over getting to know everyone again and get to prove myself to a third state association. So if anyone knows any assignors in the Seattle area, I'd love it if you hit me up in PM (or I can send you my email too).

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
USYSA Regional League, U14G. I gave a foul right on the touchline, and after a short delay, the restart was taken as a throw-in. I noticed after a few seconds, but gently caress it, I'm not bringing it back after the play has passed. Probably my biggest technical mistake ever, UGH.

My other center for the day sent a U12B team to USYSA Regional Championships, that was pretty cool.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

chaoslord posted:

Good to hear your game was fine!

My state finally got around to doing recerts online this year. The Grade 7 test continues to be the easiest test of any sort I've taken since I left elementary school.

Since we were told we could retake the test if we failed (lol), I ran a little experiment and let my fiancee take the test. I've taken her to some Sporting KC games since they are the closest MLS team to here (4 hours :argh:) and a USMNT back in the Hex. She watched the world cup, too. That is her knowledge of soccer.

45/50, 90%

Small resurrection here, but just saw this post. That is the stupidest grade 7 test I've ever heard of.

They reworked all the tests for our state and made them 10 times harder. They specifically warned people about the difficulty and told them to have the book and various memos open for it. I routinely miss a couple or fewer on the 100 question grade 7 test. This year i got an 86. It mostly consists of once in a lifetime situations, stuff that only matters at the professional levels, or obscure YATR poo poo.

An average question:

True or False: A substitute runs onto the field of play and violently kicks an opponent while competing for the ball. The substitute is sent from the field and shown the red card. The incident must be recorded as serious foul play.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Dollas, it sounds like they are giving yall the State Referee test then. I think that is the test they should give everyone who wants to start doing adult matches but the powers that be apparently disagree.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

chaoslord posted:

Dollas, it sounds like they are giving yall the State Referee test then. I think that is the test they should give everyone who wants to start doing adult matches but the powers that be apparently disagree.

The state test was even more of a pain in the rear end from what I heard. They gave us the grade 8 test and the grade 7s had to pass with an 80% or something. They made it that much harder. The state did mandate that only grade 7s and above could work adult league matches. They also reworked the fitness requirements so now the fat and old grade 8s can be 7s with minimal effort and ruin my adult league games.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Dollas posted:

The state test was even more of a pain in the rear end from what I heard. They gave us the grade 8 test and the grade 7s had to pass with an 80% or something. They made it that much harder. The state did mandate that only grade 7s and above could work adult league matches. They also reworked the fitness requirements so now the fat and old grade 8s can be 7s with minimal effort and ruin my adult league games.

Lot of that was Chicago. They said G7 is for Adult Amateur and that no fitness test could be run for G7. Then they turned around and said individual academies or leagues could require a fitness test, though since it wasn't a test for a grade they didn't bother to set any standards. And then the state G6 fitness test standards came down I think.

Basically they saw a problem (no one really treats grade 7 as its own thing!!!) that didn't really exist and tried to fix it to make G7 important in its own instead of just as a stepping stone to G6. Lots of dumb problems.

The only good thing is that the path to National opened up for people from smaller states, but even then I'm not sure it was worth all the effort that supposedly went into the changes.

In actual game chat though, is anyone going to be working at the Disney showcases?

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I'm really excited to be doing 5 assessed U15-18 centers this weekend for a local college showcase. Looks like teams from all over Region IV and BC are traveling. I have 12 games total; games are 30 min halves with every game watched by an assessor. They're back-to-back-to-back (5 minutes between games!), though, so there's no time to talk and it seems pretty informal. I might set up a GoPro to watch myself run around a field, out of shape in the offseason.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
Any advice for a referee attending their first RTS-like event out of state?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Have fun. Be a professional. Run your rear end off.

They're good networking opportunities, and a great place to learn. Are you going to one of the national camps this year?

Seriously, don't forget the first tip. And take a notebook to meetings, and actually take notes. Pay attention and be respectful. You'll probably be watching clips, because that's the new thing that's coming down the pipeline for instruction, and if it's anything like the event I was at, questions and interaction are encouraged.

Good luck!

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for your help! :)

Our region (WA/OR) is holding a "non-RTS" near Seattle for referees that aren't National, since they had their own camps this year. The SRA says it's still a great opportunity to get info (and to pass the only fitness event this year).

I have a few ECNL games this weekend, one center. My highest-level youth games yet. I'm confident, but also scared shitless, a bit. Up until now I've been running off my "natural ability" to referee but now it's definitely about GETTING IT RIGHT.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

Thanks for your help! :)

Our region (WA/OR) is holding a "non-RTS" near Seattle for referees that aren't National, since they had their own camps this year. The SRA says it's still a great opportunity to get info (and to pass the only fitness event this year).

My pleasure.

I won't see you there unfortunately. I've only just moved to WA from KY and I've not transferred anything yet and I'm still settling in before picking my whistle back up. I did already pass the fitness back in KY though, so at least there's that.

I did a National event last year and it was a blast. I recognize a lot of those club names from the event, so the level of play and tactical ability should hopefully be pretty good. Just relax and don't let the game intimidate you. Just go out there and treat it like every other game and you'll be fine. My only recommendation is be more cognizant of tactical fouls. I don't know what age group you'll be doing, but the kids on those teams tend to know what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
Had a great time at the event, got to see most of my area 6s and 7s. We ran the FIFA Women's Interval Test, and I felt pretty good. I think I could have passed the Men's. However...

During the following morning's long video reviews, I nodded off for a minute and one of my fellow referees had to shake me awake. I blamed the daylight savings switch.

Seriously, morning meetings are my greatest weakness. Ugh!

• Locked thread