Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.
If you're now looking at this, this thread is welcome for all of those who proudly dress up like bumblebees (or other colors that aren't black, or something cool).

While I'm documenting my career from couch guy bitching about Fifa 12 to fully malnourished guy doing 12 games a weekend, I think having an official thread for those of us who make the calls for you to hate forever is much better.

Part 1 - from the couch to the classroom

If this topic is already covered in another thread, please feel free to let me know. I'm sure the mere concept of this thread has many of you worried about many things, but - I figure I can't be the only person in TRP who is either a licensed, active ref (or a ref in training).

I almost wanted to use the lets play format, but - I'm currently taking my USSF Grade 8 tests and exams, and am thinking that a thread for actual licensed refs (at all levels) could be amusing and/or helpful.

As scary as the thought of me being a lead ref in competitive league games seems, it appears that I'm both in shape and passing with 100% scores on the tests they've given us so far.

How many of you are licensed refs, either USSF or UEFA/etc? Does anybody give a poo poo enough to have a thread dedicated to the life of the AYSO/College/Uni level reffing, and/or think that tips/pointers/advice from Pissflops is worth having?

I think many of you will enjoy the "Laws of the Game Made Easy" booklet I received, which is like "You are the Ref" meets "Calvin and Hobbes" style artwork.

Any interest in this?

If not, I'll just make a "Let's Play" style thread where AVBadvertising becomes an official competitive ref, with my failures being probably more amusing than my regular posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rossy
Oct 25, 2004
I'd like to read about your weekly refereeing endeavours.

What sort of age group are you going to be reffing?

I think refs are flippin' crazy but have always respected them whenever i played. Especially the real old boys who turn up to a 10.30ko on a Sunday in the middle of December when its pissing it down with rain and is absolutely freezing only to get sworn at and threatened for 90mins.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'd like to read your adventures in refereeing. I considered becoming a referee before realising getting called a oval office and punched in the face in my spare time wasn't so appealing.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Good luck, hopefully youre a better at refereeing than you are at playing fifa

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Taff posted:

Ahahaha drat that's cold.

Anyway, yeah, I'd love to hear more about what it's like to actually ref, have you ever red carded a kid and gotten confronted by the parents or anything? I have no idea what sort of leagues or age groups you have reffed or will be reffing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

gently caress yeah, get in, join the dark side. Or the offensively yellow with stupid stripes side, I think it is over there. The idea of having to carry a bunch of different shirts around is so alien to me.

Hopefully USSF teaches you the importance of Law 18, which is common sense and can usually solve any problems you're having with the first 17. It's not pointyball, there isn't an answer to everything in there.

Off the top of my head you've got me (British park monster), Mewcenary (who started three years ago and has just been promoted to referee serious football), and GOM, who's like, old.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I'm taking the Grade 8 course in September. Luckily a lot of it is done as an online course so there are only two days in-person instead of three as I believe it had been last year. I'm actually really psyched for it, which is probably strange.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I've been USSF certified since 1999. Plenty of stories/experience ranging from 6 year old bumblebee soccer to college level games.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

Taff posted:

Don't recall having played you chum, but let's hope so - I'm a division higher in Fifa (almost, with 1 more win) than I am in Grade.

The YATR cartoons have already set me far above the standard for the course, as I know about things like drop balls, IFKs, and other crazy rule.

I'll be Grade 8 USSF certified a week from Sunday, which means I'm eligible and will be lead and/or AR for competitive leagues and/or recreational leagues.

After talked with the state's lead instructor, he told me that being 28 and in very good shape (aka can run for an entire game), he recommends that I do AR in mid-level games for 2-3 months, and take lead ref on any rec or lower level game I feel like.

Within a year it looks like I can progress to Grade 7, which can get you pretty much in to almost any US soccer competition from what I can tell.

I'll happily take TRP through my journey from average Fifa player and horrible Chelsea fan to my quest to be a PF-worthy referee.

However, being new to the block, I imagine I'm going to get some sketchy rear end games from the city leagues, along with AYSO games and high-school games.

Dollas - you can probably tell me - it seems like once Grade 8 is achieved you CAN get assigned nearly anything (if you're old enough, as they have that 2 year rule for the teenage refs). In a year if I move up to grade 7, does that basically leave me at the mercy of my local coordinator/record from previous games?

Trin Tragula posted:

Hopefully USSF teaches you the importance of Law 18, which is common sense and can usually solve any problems you're having with the first 17. It's not pointyball, there isn't an answer to everything in there.

Yeah - there is an entire class at the end (5 classes total, 4 3-hour classroom, 1 8 hour on the pitch day) dedicated to Law 17, amendments to the game from this year, and general conduct/"passed knowledge" from the instructors. I'm guessing Law 18 is ref slang for "use your goddamn head" and/or the section called "Interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referees"

I'm expecting the hardest part at first will be keeping track of everyone on the pitch and not ballwatching and missing some shady poo poo or offside call that a bad linesman failed to pick up. I've been told to expect cheating/lying/diving/using foreign objects pretty much all the time.

I expect this to be a loving blast though, and after watching a couple of games killing time (there is an AYSO league or something in a park right by where the class taught), even the u10 leagues don't gently caress around.

Next class is tomorrow, where we're going to cover Laws 7-11 I believe (we're skipping 5-6 and going back to it later).

I'll keep updating this then, as I'm going to get assignments the second I'm eligible.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Law 18 is literally a colloquial way of saying "use yer common sense, lad".

quote:

I'm expecting the hardest part at first will be keeping track of everyone on the pitch and not ballwatching and missing some shady poo poo or offside call that a bad linesman failed to pick up.

If there's one thing you want to actively focus on learning early doors, it's "when someone passes the ball, watch him for a second to see if someone's going to go in late". I've got away with loving up a lot of things in my time, but every time I've missed a late one like that, it's not ended well.

Also, be very careful about taking high school games because the NFHS has its own "Rules of Soccer". They have some hilarious differences from the game everyone else knows. Also a lot of states will have you work a hilarious clowncar system called a "dual", which means you share the pitch with another referee and both of you have whistles.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

I've already heard about the horrors of some of the leagues and competitions. While I REALLY wish the scanner emailer thing at my office was color, I think this might explain why us yanks are not so good at the hoofball.

This is the first page of what I'll be learning about next, starting with a (colorified) comic about how much sheer, unbridled power I will have:

It appears to be a fine intro to Law 5, which we are going to gloss over for now and come back to later. Every page of this book is gold. A refresher, for those of you follow USSF Grade 7/8s who may have forgotten;

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Grade 8 gets you everything from recreational(youth and adult) to travel soccer (AYSO stuff). As you get more experience, you can also get state cup assignments as an 8. Also note that high school is a separate certification.

Grade 7 is a stepping stone. It's been a while since I upgraded, but I think you need something like 25 middles and 75 lines (of travel level or higher), an assessment (usually U18 or higher and you give up the match fee as payment), attend the senior referee re-cert class (in my area only 1 a year is offered), and pass a fitness test (mile and a half and a couple other runs).
It's kind of a neat thing to have and you get real smug the first couple games you referee as a 7, but it doesn't really open any more doors save for the grade 6 upgrade.

It's a lot of fun, a great way to stay in shape, and you get dollas for it. Enjoy!

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

President & Founding Member of Cardiac Crew (x2)

Trin Tragula posted:

Also, be very careful about taking high school games because the NFHS has its own "Rules of Soccer". They have some hilarious differences from the game everyone else knows. Also a lot of states will have you work a hilarious clowncar system called a "dual", which means you share the pitch with another referee and both of you have whistles.

Trin is right, I also referee. However, I do not do USSF matches and am not a USSF referee. I gave up on the USSF years and years ago when the local chief assignor and I had an argument and suddenly, I got lovely matches and couldn't get assessed for upgrades.

I honestly don't miss it. Youth soccer sucks (poor pay, stupid parents and idiotic coaches) and the adult leagues aren't much better (slightly less poor play, and players who think they can talk poo poo to the ref).

So I am a NISOA and my local NHFS. And Trin is correct, the high school uses the dual system, although some school districts are moving towards the traditional diagonal system of control.

Typically, in order to become a NISOA ref, you have to do at least a couple of years of high school.

High School is pretty fun, actually. The kids really want to win for their schools, the coaches are generally much better than youth coaches, and, at least in my association, you don't get any poo poo for sending kids/coaches off if required. The pay is much better than youth. Last season I got $64 for a varsity match of 80 minutes duration. $53 for junior varsity.

College matches are very fun. Very intense; they only have ~ 20 competitive matches, so every match matters, as does every decision. Your assistant refs or center refs are very good and make doing the job much easier. And the pay is much better.

And let's be serious. You are doing it for the money. So get the most you can.

And Trin overstates the problems with HS officiating. HS is basically the same as USSF rules 4 years ago or so. The dual system is weird at first, but it can be summarized as being a center ref when you trail the ball and being an AR when you lead the ball.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

GOM posted:

And let's be serious. You are doing it for the money. So get the most you can.

Actually it has nothing to do with the money for me...I was actually looking about trying to find a mighty-ducks type team who needed a coach, and I saw the Ref site on USSF and decided to go with it.

I actually didn't even know you get paid until I registered.

The way I look at it is simply as a huge football fan and wanting to contribute something to the game besides our sarcastic love/hate TRP posts and watching TV. It's 115 outside right now, so I can tell you it's not like an easy way to try to score extra scratch.

I don't MIND getting paid, but I went in to it with the mindset of "this is probably the most involved I get get in the world of football."

I don't know how many teams want holding mid-fielders here, and I don't think I have the skill to play in a competitive league. I just thought being a ref would be really an awesome way to kill time here and there

So - I'll take every dollar I get, but I legitimately didn't sign up for the money or for any sort of reasons relating to it.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Yeah, I know many referees who have had GOM's problem. The USSF business can get very political out of nowhere.

If you get a good rep you will start getting recommended to other assignors come tournament time. I've showed up to a few tournaments over the years and I get approached by some assignor from out of the area and get the "so YOU'RE Dollas, you come highly recommended from assignor X". This is also another good way to feel :smug:.

Also, for your own sanity, don't ever referee high school age girls.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

AVBadvertising posted:

Actually it has nothing to do with the money for me...I was actually looking about trying to find a mighty-ducks type team who needed a coach, and I saw the Ref site on USSF and decided to go with it.

I would have read the gently caress out of this thread if it had happened. Give up on reffing and chase your coaching dreams AVB!

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Taff posted:

Give up on reffing and chase your coaching dreams AVB!

Please do this and use every applicable concept from Soccernomics to build the most successful team in the northeast regional's under-14 division.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Could we have some stories about the best/worse decisions you've made? How are you advised to deal with aggressive players etc?

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

Taff posted:

I would have read the gently caress out of this thread if it had happened. Give up on reffing and chase your coaching dreams AVB!

That thread is coming, fear not. It's Phoenix...there are lots of leagues that will take any coach they can get. I'm already looking, as USSF coaching and "city league needs a coach" are two totally different worlds.

Once I have a u14 team of hispanic kids in Barca jerseys, I'll whip out 20 copies of Soccernomics and have them all wearing John Terry temporary tattoos by the end of the season.

Any player that gives me guff gets reminded that Torres made their precious Messi cry.

So - update tonight, as we learn Laws 7-12 and about how cool we are.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

Taff posted:

That thread is coming, fear not. It's Phoenix...there are lots of leagues that will take any coach they can get. I'm already looking, as USSF coaching and "city league needs a coach" are two totally different worlds.

Once I have a u14 team of hispanic kids in Barca jerseys, I'll whip out 20 copies of Soccernomics and have them all wearing John Terry temporary tattoos by the end of the season.

Any player that gives me guff gets reminded that Torres made their precious Messi cry.

Dollas posted:

If you get a good rep you will start getting recommended to other assignors come tournament time. I've showed up to a few tournaments over the years and I get approached by some assignor from out of the area and get the "so YOU'RE Dollas, you come highly recommended from assignor X". This is also another good way to feel :smug:.

Also, for your own sanity, don't ever referee high school age girls.

One of my instructors is a Grade 7 female ref, and she started off (when we covered Laws 1-4) that high school girls are the worst to ref for, and that in her 13 year of being a ref, most of her worst/most difficult games were all high school girls. Teenage girls I guess just don't give a gently caress about the rules.

[/quote]

So - update tonight, as we learn Laws 7-12 and about how cool we are.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
When I first started out I flagged a striker for being offside by a mile. Then I look in horror as the defending team's sweep is tying his shoe back at his own 18.

I've fallen on my rear end a couple times trying to do fancy stuff with the ball at halftime. Also, during the screwing around at halftime days, I blasted the only good ball the field had into the highway where it was promptly run over and ruined.

The whole aggressive player is a several step solution. If there is a known history for one team or the other, discuss it in your pregame talk with the other referees. Mention it to the captains when you flip the coin. Stay vocal during the game, you would be amazed how many situations can be avoided by a simple 'Take it easy, guys' as they approach a 50/50 ball. When/if it gets to the point of misconduct, the strength of your whistle blast can help get the point across. Stay vocal. If it merits a warning, take the time to warn. If it merits a caution or worse, don't be afraid to use the book. Keep in mind this is not a set formula as age, gender, level of play, pace of play, past history, recent history, moon phases, bowel movements, parmos passing accuracy, etc all play into it. You will inevitably do everything right and have some rear end in a top hat two-foot tackle a keeper's head in the first 2 minutes of a match and you will wonder why you aren't coaching 12 year olds (you should be).

Also, an 8 year old might poo poo his pants during play (this counts as dogso).

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dollas posted:

You will inevitably do everything right and have some rear end in a top hat two-foot tackle a keeper's head

And you will then caution the keeper for faking an injury.

Not that I ever had a ref do that to me or anything.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Haven't listen to this but I thought this might be of interest in this thread, a interview with the head of the North America’s Professional Referee Organization Peter Walton.

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

Hmmm.

I find HS girls the easiest to officiate. Slow. Tactical.

Biggest problem, for me, is that I don't really get a workout in during a HS girls match.

The only real issue is how much they grab each other and I just call it when I believe it makes a difference (or I would be calling fouls every 10 seconds).

Once you accept the fact that the Laws don't matter too much, they are pretty easy to handle.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Maybe it's just my area then. Every game is 10-0 and it's so incredibly slow it makes me want to kill myself.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

So I've officially passed the Grade 8 "physical," which I assumed would be running up and down the pitch for a bit and/or simulations of plays/cheating/etc.

All I had to do was be an AR for 20 minutes, signal offside (far side of field), a few throw ins, and a corner kick. The trickier signals like "Hey other ref, you're looking at me and I don't know if it's a penalty...." we just glazed over, and we were back in the class watching DVDs in no time.

I learned about the offside rule by watching a DVD from the year they invented them that used footage of the 1999 WWC to show offside/not offside and where you should be standing as an AR.

But, I got the inside scoop about the assignors in my area. There are really 3 areas I'd want to cover - my immediate neighborhood (east phoenix/where Scottsdale begins), central phoenix, and north Scottsdale.

Apparently there are an absolute shitload of easy assignments that all pay pretty well, and if I'm in the mood for a rough game where u12s fight to the death, central (or even west) phoenix is open as well. The assignor in that hood seems.......a bit sketchy. He's taken a few brown envelopes in his day.

Tonight we FINALLLY study Laws 5 and 6. I've already passed my exam, so even if I miss all remaining question on the exam (we take it in segments) I still have officially passed.

I received my super fruity gold official ref kit from OfficialSport.com yesterday, so I'm ready to tuck in my shirt, yell at some kids, and see if any of their single moms need a ride home.

I actually learned more about the rules from the YATR cartoons than I have in this class...I used the term DOGSO and the instructor told me that "it's not a term that low grade refs really know about....where did you hear that?"

I'm looking for a rec league team that needs a volunteer coach that works with my schedule too, and I think that within 5 years I can make it to the top. If AVB can coach Chelsea at 33, I've got 5 years left to be the youngest coach in the PL.

Oddly enough - there is a Chelsea infancy team in the ghetto part of Phoenix, and half of the people in the class play for Serano West, which is sponsored by Chelsea FC themselves.

Torres jerseys in every class? You bet. I actually almost don't want people to know that I'm a Chelsea fan, as I think I now am beginning to understand why they're hated locally.

The ease of this class is kind of sad.....it's sort of like Billy Madison, except there are 3 old people and not just 1.

One girl seems to think that red cards are for when players make really bad shots, or miss what should have been a goal. She isn't/wasn't kidding.

I'll scan some more of our high-end material soon enough, and my ref license when it comes. I hope it has a picture, as who the gently caress carries around a referee license?

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

The assignments have come....I begin my career this weekend Saturday evening.

U14G
U16G
U18B

I just might be able to find a rag tag squad or brown envelopes of cash. I'm prepared for the worst.

I didn't expect it to take this long, but - it begins.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Have a good one, dude. Blow the whistle like you mean it, but give yourself a moment to think first, to make sure you do actually mean it.

Though I hate the Fox 40 with a passion, it's very good at training you to do that properly because if you give it a half-arsed wimpy toot, you either get no noise at all or something that sounds horrible and completely unlike the noise it should make; what it won't give you is something that you think sounds sort-of-ok and everyone else think sounds hopelessly indecisive.

And remember; the only guy who knows for sure that you've just started is you. As long as you've got some basic self-confidence about you, everyone else'll be too grateful that they didn't draw That Guy this week to realise or care.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Have a good one, dude. Blow the whistle like you mean it, but give yourself a moment to think first, to make sure you do actually mean it.

Though I hate the Fox 40 with a passion, it's very good at training you to do that properly because if you give it a half-arsed wimpy toot, you either get no noise at all or something that sounds horrible and completely unlike the noise it should make; what it won't give you is something that you think sounds sort-of-ok and everyone else think sounds hopelessly indecisive.

And remember; the only guy who knows for sure that you've just started is you. As long as you've got some basic self-confidence about you, everyone else'll be too grateful that they didn't draw That Guy this week to realise or care.

Thanks for the tips...it looks like my first girls are the quarter finals of the Desert Inaugural Cup - Saturday, 3 games total. I took linesman assignmentts, as I think going for center ref first game is a stretch, especially considering that it's a semi-important youth tournament.

I'm going to walk in there like I've been doing it forever, and just roll with it. I guess girls age 12-18 are the most common cheaters in a sneaky way, so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to actually get the center involved a for jersey tugging/scratchign/etc.

The final game on Saturday is the Quarter final of the U18 mens teams, so that should hopefully be some serious poo poo.

Still on the lookout for a coaching gig (rec league), as that done in a let's play format would be amazing. For now, it's "YATR, AVBadvertising guest editor."

Any center refs want to clue me in on annoying poo poo new refs do that I can maybe avoid if possible?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good luck! Don't get stabbed by the kids(' parents).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Get used to holding the flag in the correct hand; it should always be facing the referee. Assuming you're on left backs, that means it's in your left hand when you're going towards the goal, and your right hand when you're going away from it. Every time you change direction, switch hands.

Use the flag like you mean it! There's nothing worse than an "assistant" whose direction signal for a throw-in lasts for one-eighth of a second before the flag goes down again, or who just sort of wafts the flag in the general direction, or who goes up for offside or a free-kick but then drops it if you don't look at him immediately. It screws the referee up and it looks really poo poo. It's not hard to make it look good and like you want to be there, even if you're just starting.

Hopefully your assignor will have put you with someone who won't expect the world from you and will be able to give decent feedback.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Get used to holding the flag in the correct hand; it should always be facing the referee. Assuming you're on left backs, that means it's in your left hand when you're going towards the goal, and your right hand when you're going away from it. Every time you change direction, switch hands.

Use the flag like you mean it! There's nothing worse than an "assistant" whose direction signal for a throw-in lasts for one-eighth of a second before the flag goes down again, or who just sort of wafts the flag in the general direction, or who goes up for offside or a free-kick but then drops it if you don't look at him immediately. It screws the referee up and it looks really poo poo. It's not hard to make it look good and like you want to be there, even if you're just starting.

Hopefully your assignor will have put you with someone who won't expect the world from you and will be able to give decent feedback.

Yeah, the instructor freaked out at anyone who didn't understand that the flag must be in the direction of play. It's a tournament where they supposedly break in a lot of the new refs (it's some huge thing called the Desert Cup), so I'll be assigned a mentor.

My plan is to A. be in the right spot all the time, B. hold the flag in the correct hand, and C. not to drop the flag until whatever signal we agree on as acknowledging the call.

I'm just hoping I don't see any red card throwdowns/cat fighting behind the center's back, and/or a penalty that I have to at least attempt to call.

Everyone tells me that the competitive girls leagues from U14-U18 are the craftiest at cheating/trying to sneak jewelry and other poo poo on the field.

If I have the schedule right, these are all quarter (and a semi?) final games, with the finals being played on Sunday. Parents will want to murder somebody.

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

AVBadvertising posted:

Yeah, the instructor freaked out at anyone who didn't understand that the flag must be in the direction of play. It's a tournament where they supposedly break in a lot of the new refs (it's some huge thing called the Desert Cup), so I'll be assigned a mentor.

My plan is to A. be in the right spot all the time, B. hold the flag in the correct hand, and C. not to drop the flag until whatever signal we agree on as acknowledging the call.

I'm just hoping I don't see any red card throwdowns/cat fighting behind the center's back, and/or a penalty that I have to at least attempt to call.

Everyone tells me that the competitive girls leagues from U14-U18 are the craftiest at cheating/trying to sneak jewelry and other poo poo on the field.

If I have the schedule right, these are all quarter (and a semi?) final games, with the finals being played on Sunday. Parents will want to murder somebody.

Pretty sure the Center will tell you in the pre-game, but just follow his/her lead on what fouls to call. Girls are the worst at using their hands on each other; a referee could literally blow for a foul every minute.

Since you are doing AR's, two points that will help you stand out.

1. Follow the ball to the end line, or at least try to. Nobody expects you to arrive at the end line on a 30 yard screamer, but you want to be there when a dribbler is muffed by the keeper and everyone wants to know if all the ball went over all the line.

2. When there is a goal kick, wait on line with the six yard line (goal line) until the ball is placed. Then sprint to the last defender to await the kick. If a player other than the keeper is taking the goal kick, stop at the 18 yard line (penalty area).

At least that has been what I've been told.

Here is my question. What time of day are your matches and what are your expected temps?

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

GOM posted:

Pretty sure the Center will tell you in the pre-game, but just follow his/her lead on what fouls to call. Girls are the worst at using their hands on each other; a referee could literally blow for a foul every minute.

Since you are doing AR's, two points that will help you stand out.

1. Follow the ball to the end line, or at least try to. Nobody expects you to arrive at the end line on a 30 yard screamer, but you want to be there when a dribbler is muffed by the keeper and everyone wants to know if all the ball went over all the line.

2. When there is a goal kick, wait on line with the six yard line (goal line) until the ball is placed. Then sprint to the last defender to await the kick. If a player other than the keeper is taking the goal kick, stop at the 18 yard line (penalty area).

At least that has been what I've been told.

Here is my question. What time of day are your matches and what are your expected temps?

Thanks for the tips - the ref area/center is supposed to basically gauge how fit/competent you are (on top of the referral from the USSF instructor I had), and the new refs are given "mentors." From there you work out whatever special requests or signals they want used.

Expected temperature is going to be 100-110, maybe dropping to 90 or 95 for the last match. Lineup is:

Sat, Sep 01 05:35PM U14G

Sat, Sep 01 07:25PM U16G

Sat, Sep 01 08:45PM U16B

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

AVBadvertising posted:

Thanks for the tips - the ref area/center is supposed to basically gauge how fit/competent you are (on top of the referral from the USSF instructor I had), and the new refs are given "mentors." From there you work out whatever special requests or signals they want used.

Expected temperature is going to be 100-110, maybe dropping to 90 or 95 for the last match. Lineup is:

Sat, Sep 01 05:35PM U14G

Sat, Sep 01 07:25PM U16G

Sat, Sep 01 08:45PM U16B

loving hell, that's hot.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Good luck Badvertising :)

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

GOM posted:

loving hell, that's hot.

Fahrenheit I reckon, but still nutsweat worthy

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

rats off to ya posted:

Fahrenheit I reckon, but still nutsweat worthy

Thank god I get to wear the yellow jersey and "not booty shorts with pockets" as the official kit. The pockets almost come out of the shorts, I don't loving get it. The fat refs get huge shorts.

It's starting to settle in that my first match is going to be a U14 girls match in 110 heat. A friend of mine wants to film the game/awkwardness of the whole ordeal, so I'll probably put up the highlights.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

AVBadvertising posted:

Thank god I get to wear the yellow jersey and "not booty shorts with pockets" as the official kit. The pockets almost come out of the shorts, I don't loving get it. The fat refs get huge shorts.

It's starting to settle in that my first match is going to be a U14 girls match in 110 heat. A friend of mine wants to film the game/awkwardness of the whole ordeal, so I'll probably put up the highlights.

yessss. was just going to post that you should get pics taken of your special day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

AVBadvertising posted:

Get your shorts here.

Easily the best shorts readily available in the USA.

And if I were working in 110 degree heat, I'd certainly invest in the coolwick jersey.

• Locked thread