Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

is the fighting as broken as it seems in the demo? I've had Kane, Malkin and Tavares and other superstars lay out "BIG HITS" and instantly drop gloves to fight (because that happens all the time in the NHL). Is there really no way for an enforcer or literally anyone else other than the superstar sniper, to step in? I've also noticed a couple guys (Versteeg of all people did twice in one game) randomly charge others in open ice only to fight and get a penalty called on the play for interference.

I am loving the ridiculous hits and the snappier skating in this game compared to the hope Chara doesn't bounce off Hall hits and mud skating of 13.

Whatever, I traded in a ton of 360 games while they're still worth anything at all and got this and GTA V for 15$ a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The demo has all kinds of setting changes to showcase the new mechanics.

I made a power forward in BaP and actually can't even fight with him, with the setting on Sometimes. Because he's a first liner and a team point leader someone else always jumps in to fight for him.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Aphrodite posted:

The demo has all kinds of setting changes to showcase the new mechanics.

I made a power forward in BaP and actually can't even fight with him, with the setting on Sometimes. Because he's a first liner and a team point leader someone else always jumps in to fight for him.

Yeah, the demo was just a balls out "EVERYBODY FIGHTS" setting. From what I saw in BaP in early access, you have to actually hurt a player on a hit to get sucked into an immediate and unavoidable fight, otherwise your superstars can lay dudes out all over without risk.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Pleads posted:

Yeah, the demo was just a balls out "EVERYBODY FIGHTS" setting. From what I saw in BaP in early access, you have to actually hurt a player on a hit to get sucked into an immediate and unavoidable fight, otherwise your superstars can lay dudes out all over without risk.

Landeskog crushed everyone, and had 7 fights in 3 games... So I have no idea

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Fighting is definitely toned down in the release. In fact, similar to Aphrodite I can't get anyone to fight me either. I was going round trying to get a Gordie Howe hat trick but nobody would drop the gloves with me.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They probably toned it down because everyone would just be fighting for the first 2 weeks.

I can't wait to get this on thursday. I might be down for EASHL on occasion if there's room on a team. Definitely down for GMC again.
(speaking of which, I'm guessing someone will be making a separate thread for it?)

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 10, 2013

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'm not sure when the game is getting here, usually it's 1 or 2 days after the normal American release date. Last one I played was 12 so hopefully this is better, but I'm well aware it won't be.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

^^ it'll probably be better than 12, I liked 12 more than 13 and this demo felt closer to 12 in terms of fun

Diet Crack posted:

They probably toned it down because everyone would just be fighting for the first 2 weeks.

I can't wait to get this on thursday. I might be down for EASHL on occasion if there's room on a team. Definitely down for GMC again.
(speaking of which, I'm guessing someone will be making a separate thread for it?)

Well, I would hope they turned it down, and figured they would have, but, you know, EA Sports. I mean the goalie still gets dumbass trapezoid penalties because his default animation makes him rotate the puck through the no play area. Since at least NHL 11. I mean, I expected to see goalies still do that but it still somehow surprised me.

Got my copy installing as I type, can't wait to see the new bugs and still terrible interface!

Technetium fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 10, 2013

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Protip: To help speed up the horrific process of grinding offline for Slots/Boosts before you start your career go into your gameplay settings and adjust the Human/CPU sliders so you're a god player and the CPU is crippled. Create a Center and start at the draft since theres no benefit that I can see to having to play a full CHL season instead of just the Memorial Cup. Set your clock to 5 minute periods instead of the simulation 20. Your gameplay settings will carry over and you can have fun scoring at will until you hit the necessary criteria to unlock the various things.

Please note I've not tried to see yet if you can sim games and intervene in the 3rd period like you could last year and still have your stats count. I imagine it will work though.

Its also worth noting that it will expose the new Live the Life feature to be an undercooked piece of poo poo when you get asked the same set of questions with the same set of answers every time you hit a hat trick. It's either that or the game is accurately simulating the monotony of having to deal with the sports media on a daily basis :v:.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I just got all a+ as a 2 way dman doing the 2 period sim trick and I'm not unlocking that boost slot. I will be really loving annoyed if this doesnt work.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Doing that was a 50/50 chance of it actually unlocking what it said it would last year for me.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Was there anyone in the whole world who expected "Live the Life" mode to not be a giant piece of poo poo? Even the trailer for it just showed some super boring menu options.

Like... don't even bother attempting that mode if you can't get close to NBA 2K MyPlayer. Spend your time doing anything else in development.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zip! posted:

Its also worth noting that it will expose the new Live the Life feature to be an undercooked piece of poo poo when you get asked the same set of questions with the same set of answers every time you hit a hat trick. It's either that or the game is accurately simulating the monotony of having to deal with the sports media on a daily basis :v:.

"Your team is trailing after two periods. What do you need to do to turn things around in the third?"

A) Get the puck in deep and make sure it's hard for the other team to play in the corners
B) Get back to playing our way
C) Get some shots on net and make sure there's traffic in front
D) It's a good group of guys, just make sure to battle hard and the result will come.

Repeat ad nauseum for every single game until you turn your console off in disgust.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 10, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I still haven't gotten the trophy for a back-to-back goal in NHL13 despite scoring at least 30 or 40 of them in BaP.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I've noticed in the early access that i'm not actually unlocking anything as far as stick boosts and the like go, and I'm not getting XP bonuses for fulfilling the idiotic in-game criteria. Maybe that'll all change when I get the disc today in the mail from amazon.

So far, Live the Life is kind of silly - just some pointless questions after each game that have the same answers and it seems almost impossible to answer them wrong by accident - I even tried picking obvious idiotic joke answers and they actually made everyone like me even more. I'll probably keep doing it because it's a thing and I think it can ultimately boost my stats, but right now it's kind of dumb.

My main frustrations from BaP are still that I'm constantly getting yelled at for turnovers and for being on the ice when a goal is scored against, despite the fact that I was .5 seconds from getting off the bench and had no bearing on anything. "That's a minus!" gently caress you, coach. Also my line and I seem to be the only ones on the entire team who can score this year - NHL 13 seemed a bit better with that. Then again, I'm in the CHL so who knows.

Edit: if anyone has the gamestop or best buy equipment pack codes and doesn't want them, let me know and I might either paypal (not much - I don't care that bad for them) or trade some extra steam codes for various paradox and humble bundle games that I have for them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You being 0.5 seconds from being off the ice when a goal is scored means you made a poo poo-awful line change :colbert:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Pleads posted:

You being 0.5 seconds from being off the ice when a goal is scored means you made a poo poo-awful line change :colbert:

No, I mean I was coming onto the ice from the rear end in a top hat before me making a poo poo awful line change. :colbert:

Edit: Also, I made myself a 5'7" 130lb girl and I seem to be able to hit pretty well.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Team game win together lose together :colbert:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I like that my thread topic I thought of months ago is pretty prophetic.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Backhands do seem to work a bit better this year. It's always annoyed me that I'm better at a backhand shot in real life than anyone in the game is, and I use a Sakic curve so it's not like I'm getting a lot of help from the stick. Elevating a backhand shot and aiming it really isn't that hard - just practice roofing them on the backhand from inside the crease and you'll get good at it. I do feel I'm better at direction changes when I skate than most of these fuckers though, and I just play in beer leagues. Also, despite having an 88 speed rating while most opposing defensemen in the CHL don't, I seem to be outskated to every loose puck, and I'm always easily caught up to from behind even by the slowest lumbering fatass. I noticed that a bit in NHL 13, but it seems to be more so in NHL 14.

Some of the guaranteed goals still seem to work - with a left handed shooter, skate around the net from left to right and right when you get a reasonable angle, roof it high glove side - the goalie almost always overcommits towards the center of the net and leaves that side wide open. Also cutting from the circles straight towards the high slot and shooting high glove side seems to go in as long as it doesn't miss the net.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Fake Edit: This is for EASHL only...

I just hope they make hitting so that it isn't so player-height focused in 14. (body checks, that is)

In NHL 12: I was always 6'1", 195, and could level people playing as a two-way Def/Forward (all body checks). Sure, if I hit an evenly matched guy or a huge brute, he might not always fall over, but I still separated the puck from the player. Even still, I got tons of big hits that were perfectly lined up and timed well.

In NHL 13: I had to jack my guy up to 6'5" 215 to hit anyone who wasn't a speedy midget (and at that point, if they knew what they were doing, they could skate right around you). Even though my checking/strength/aggression were always maxed out, I couldn't do jack when my guy was 5'10" to 6'4". I did more testing than I care to admit. I would go from 5-8 hits a game at lower heights, to 20-30 at 6'5"-6'6". The worst part was getting a perfect line on someone at top speed, just to hit them like it was two hand touch football, no puck separation, and more times than not, my guy would grind to a halt doing his shove animation while the 65 OVR sniper chugs right on by with little disruption.

I miss being able to be agile and quick while still throwing meaningful checks :negative:

The Rev fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 10, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The Rev posted:

I just hope they take hitting isn't so player-height focused in 14. (body checks, that is)

Not so much, nope. I tried running a 5'7" cannonball build and knocked people down maybe once over 10 games. Same hitting and aggression as the other guys on the team, but smaller with the aim of taking out people's precious knees in the new engine. No such luck.

Go big or go home.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Pleads posted:

Not so much, nope. I tried running a 5'7" cannonball build and knocked people down maybe once over 10 games. Same hitting and aggression as the other guys on the team, but smaller with the aim of taking out people's precious knees in the new engine. No such luck.

Go big or go home.

Well, Ideally I would like to be 6'1"-6'2", so not 5'7" short. But that is very sad that you can not channel your inner Brad Marchand trying to kneecap people protect yourself.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I just got all a+ as a 2 way dman doing the 2 period sim trick and I'm not unlocking that boost slot. I will be really loving annoyed if this doesnt work.

I think for the single game achievements you have to play a full game but the end of year achievements (Play 40+ NHL games and average 1.0 goal per game, Less than 1 Offside a game etc) just look at your career stats instead. Or at least thats what I'm hoping!

Edit: I've unlocked the all A+'s with a Sniper unlock by playing a full 5 minute period game.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I played two full five minute games getting all a's as a two way and still nothing. Weeee.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The stats in your achievement tracker only count for the games you actually play. So, when you sim games, the stats go towards your season/career stats, but not towards stats needed for unlocks/goals for the season.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Does it matter if you do classic or authentic or anything??

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
86k returning puck reward hell loving yes.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Ahhhh it's nhl/playoff stats only duh :downs:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Also for HUT guys, puck rewards for collections aren't total poo poo now.

Boy am I bad at fighting. Yeesh. This'll take practice.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This is fitting as the end to the final game of NHL13 for me.
http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/170308425

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

der juicen posted:

Boy am I bad at fighting. Yeesh. This'll take practice.

How does one fight with only one hand?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
the best dodge is when you get a dude in a headlock and are able to unload on him freely but I've only been able to pull it off a couple of times

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I want Rob Ray rapid fire punching on a fan in the game.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/170295047

:toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how EA is still unable to render video that fills the full box of their web player.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I've only played the demo so they may have improved on this, but it seems like puck recovery is even worse than in 13. Which is strange because they said it was one of the improvements for the game. Pucks go through stick blades more often when poked and intercepting passes is harder. I don't mind that so much and it can probably be adjusted, but generally the players are not getting the puck under control very well.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

How does one fight with only one hand?

see NHL 10-13

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Just started playing Live the Life (in the Memmer right now), and if you're a forward are your teammates always this stupid? I get a shift, my centerman throws it back to the point but no-one's there, allowing a breakaway and me being pulled because "YOU WERE OUT FOR A GOAL ON THAT SHIFT. THAT'S A MINUS."

Otherwise, it looks like NHL 09's Super Goalies are back.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
EA finally added a page-up/page-down function in the Roster Management screen (right stick up and down). This pretty much redeemed my purchase, because moving anyone with a last name starting with M - Z was a chore to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

TealShark posted:

EA finally added a page-up/page-down function in the Roster Management screen (right stick up and down). This pretty much redeemed my purchase, because moving anyone with a last name starting with M - Z was a chore to get to.

I remember finding that a month or two ago in NHL 13.

• Locked thread