Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Petrov's vacuum cleaner not working is proof of a spiteful god.

A man whose life was beset by the failings of technology.

Also, agreed, I wanted to hear more and Alex's trip to Peru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

makhno is bae

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

wait so i have continually pay to get access to the podcast?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

most of it, yes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Karl Barks posted:

2/5 episodes are free. Hypothetically you could just pay for a single month's subscription, download all the episodes and work your way through the backlog after unsubscribing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Makhno is cool as hell and lol @ the dude who killed Symon Petliura being acquitted because Petliura was such a piece of poo poo

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Karl Barks posted:

Think of it as paying to keep Dolan out of the Canadian slums/Northern Iraq/an East Timor prison camp.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/913125255190687744

e: :holymoley:
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/913166593009508352

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Sep 27, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Did anyone buy The Iliad? I didn't pre-order but wish I did, since a few excerpts I've come across make it look like a rollicking good time.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/913170846855831552

from the thread, lmao

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

snoremac posted:

Did anyone buy The Iliad? I didn't pre-order but wish I did, since a few excerpts I've come across make it look like a rollicking good time.

There are still a few copies on Amazon. Just picked one up.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Yeah I grabbed one, got a 13+ day wait though :(

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'll have to wait till christmas time to get mine, if it's even available.

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/913172481485135872

So apparently this is a regular thing for military otaku rags?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

japanese incel science at it's best.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Carl started his own Podcast

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Jane's-sama

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Carl started his own Podcast

I saw him mention it on twitter, but didn't see any links or a title.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I saw him mention it on twitter, but didn't see any links or a title.

https://www.patreon.com/clash_civ

coathat
May 21, 2007

Carl zha is my Chinese friend

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/918145947594559490
https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/918148294823628802

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I'm about 1/3 of the way into the war nerd Iliad, and its great. Really nails the tone of 'bloody modern campfire oral myth'. Dolan's voice comes through strong, and you could read this to a group of unsuspecting scouts raised on GoT and have them riveted.

Make sure you do all the voices though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/919052403516649472

New War Nerd is about the suspiciously underreported ongoing Islamic State insurgency on Mindanao, where they've been attacking the city of Marawi since late May.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

New War Nerd is about the suspiciously underreported ongoing Islamic State insurgency on Mindanao, where they've been attacking the city of Marawi since late May.

is this one free? was just in phil and would love to hear it but im a cheap rear end in a top hat

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

safely sodomized posted:

is this one free? was just in phil and would love to hear it but im a cheap rear end in a top hat

No, and the preview isn't up yet. But the preview from the last episode about Rojava is still up, and it's half an hour of the interview with Wladimir van Wilgenberg. It's been over a month since they've posted a free episode. IMO the next one they should post up for free is the Russian Civil War ep, but who knows.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

My Iliad arrived at the post office a week early! I haven't been this pumped for a book ever.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Agamemnon is like a Trump twitter storm:

quote:

He thinks, "Why attack Troy? That's too simple! Too obvious!" Like all truly stupid people, Agamemnon hates the obvious.
"No," he thinks, "I'll test my army! I'll see who's really loyal enough to me. I've already got Zeus' word, through his dream, that we'll take Troy as soon as we advance. So why let disloyal bastards share in the booty? I'll call an assembly -- I'll act all mopey, tell them it's hopeless, we've tried for nine long years and it's not working, blah blah blah... perfect! O God, I'm so smart I scare myself sometimes! The cowards and shirkers and traitors, who've always hated me -- they'll flee! So only the loyal ones will march into Troy with me! I won't have to share the booty and the slave girls with any of them! ... Akilles will have to watch us trooping back to the ships so loaded down with loot he can barely sing a hymn of gratitude! It'll kill him, seeing us like that! Beautiful!"
Zeus, not guessing quite how stupid Agamemnon can be, is waiting for the dream to take effect, for the Greek armies to march from the beach to the walls of Troy as the dream commanded. Instead, he zeroes in on the Greek camp to find Agamemnon has called... an assembly? Why an assembly? Zeus is disgusted. He says to his cupbearer, Ganymede, his boy, "Look at this idiot! He's so stupid you can't even trip him up properly!"

snoremac has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Oct 18, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boy I wish I had spending cash.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Has any cast ever addressed why Dolan is still wandering all over the globe like he's been cursed by a vengeful old-testament god?

I mean, years back I know he was doing teaching work overseas because academia is a toxic cesspit if you don't play their little byzantine game and he was seen as 'tainted' from his War Nerd stuff, but I hoped he'd be able to settle down a bit with the Patreon doin well.

Then again, if he enjoys it, all the better. Just a bit worried, is all.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think John & Catherine Dolan are both accustomed to the expat lifestyle, and frankly I wouldn't want to go back to the United States either when I could be traveling the world and seeing all the sites I've only read about in books or on wikipedia.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm pretty sure John mentioned on one of the recent eps he was going back to new york soon

I can't imagine why because turin seems like a real cool city and he seemed happy there

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Going back to America isn't the same thing as settling down.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah I guess they weren't very clear on if he was actually staying. probably not since he seems to enjoy his travels but also the dude's real old

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

The Dolans are going to move into the Cum Town apartment. "It's no Kurdistan," he said wistfully.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladin posted:

The Dolans are going to move into the Cum Town apartment. "It's no Kurdistan," he said wistfully.

John would strangle Nick to death after he won't quit "joking" that Catherine could do better.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

somebody should tip Will Menaker that the Dolans will be in NYC so they can get John on Chapo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

somebody should tip Will Menaker that the Dolans will be in NYC so they can get John on Chapo.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sephyr posted:

Has any cast ever addressed why Dolan is still wandering all over the globe like he's been cursed by a vengeful old-testament god?

I mean, years back I know he was doing teaching work overseas because academia is a toxic cesspit if you don't play their little byzantine game and he was seen as 'tainted' from his War Nerd stuff, but I hoped he'd be able to settle down a bit with the Patreon doin well.

Then again, if he enjoys it, all the better. Just a bit worried, is all.

He's been cursed by a vengeful old-testament god.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Finally someone would be Speaking the Truth about Rwanda.