Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'd pay to see any of that crew's back story.

Even the Hat guy. Especially the Hat guy.

I think Sony sees this as a slight hit without a lot of marketing that's going to get really popular in rentals. Kind of like another Austin Powers or Pitch Perfect that has a decent first film and a monster sequel. Except in this version of Pitch Perfect the Bellas are all dead and now Anna Kendrick has to carry the next movie by herself. So yeah, a traditional sequel isn't going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Saw an advanced screening of this last night (not out for a couple of weeks here in Australia). Loved it and totally looking forward to checking it out again. With that said, I wasn't a fan of the third act and would have much preferred another elaborate chase instead of the "Human Robot Wars" we got instead.

minato posted:

Definitely. I was really sold on him tapping his hands around the car. (And it's probably been brought up before, but Edgar Wright directed a music video kinda based on the same concept, of focusing on a getaway driver getting into the music during the robbery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfrcZsKcVxU)

I might be mistaken, but this was on the TV when baby was channel surfing at one stage yeah?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Looten Plunder posted:

I might be mistaken, but this was on the TV when baby was channel surfing at one stage yeah?

Definitely was, yes.

The theater I was in played this clip and a bunch of other Edgar Wright stuff before the previews. I had never seen it before. Cool, but it kind of took some of the punch away from the movie's opening scene to have watched something so similar just a moment earlier.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So is it possible that Sony just decides to do a sequel with or without Wright? Imagine Baby Driver 2 directed by some other guy. gently caress that.

I'd be up for a different crime film in the same universe with a new cast (barring a few that cross over), or a different crime film in a different universe with the same cast (or just every character played by John Hamm).

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

So is it possible that Sony just decides to do a sequel with or without Wright? Imagine Baby Driver 2 directed by some other guy. gently caress that.

I'd be up for a different crime film in the same universe with a new cast (barring a few that cross over), or a different crime film in a different universe with the same cast (or just every character played by John Hamm).

the same universe lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RideTheSpiral posted:

the same universe lol

The Baby Cinematic Universe is going to be huge, you'll see.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Was thinking today that the parole hearing should have been nine months down the line to really hammer the rebirth idea and how long it takes to reunite with his "mom"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's a podcast where Wright talks about the possibility of a sequel and discusses the ideas of sequels in general, and I'll say at the very least he seems to be aware that most of his movies don't demand sequels and that the laziest thing you can do in a sequel is somehow set the characters back to square one so you can do the same movie again. I still kind of hope he just leaves it alone though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It would be neat if Baby showed up for a cameo or something in a future film, but I'd rather get another original film from Wright.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Another fun bit: in he script, immediately after the line "If you never see me again, it means I'm dead," the stage directions read 'We never ever see him again.'

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Spergatory posted:

Another fun bit: in he script, immediately after the line "If you never see me again, it means I'm dead," the stage directions read 'We never ever see him again.'

Yeah that was a super fun detail he talked about on some podcast (the Empire spoiler special I think? I listen to too many podcasts). Another thing I learned from that podcast is that during the long steadicam one-r the graffiti is all digital, and it changes to fit the song when he comes back out of the coffee shop. That's so cool, I didn't notice when I first saw it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Spergatory posted:

I love it. Is the full script available anywhere?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I love it. Is the full script available anywhere?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriting/comments/5w938w/request_edgar_wrights_baby_driver/

This clearly isn't the shooting script, as it's still set in LA, so a lot of stuff is different here.

What's interesting to me is how different the tone of the ending is here. For one thing, in this version, Debora isn't there for the final clash, and it's made clear that Buddy's parting shots leave Baby completely and permanently deaf, or at least much worse than he seems in the movie. Baby goes and gets Debora after Buddy dies and it's played almost like he's abducting her without realizing it. When they confront the police blockade, he gets ready to speed off, but realizes that she's scared, has an "oh god what the gently caress am I doing, who even am I anymore" moment, and surrenders instead. It's also clear in this version that his happy ending with Debora is a fantasy that he's coming up with based on a postcard she sent him, and it's left up to the audience as to whether or not he really gets any kind of happy ending. All-in-all, much more of a downer. :smith:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah I read that script. It's marked as 'First Draft Revisions', which means it was fairly early in the process. Given that Wright lists all the songs you can also see the ones that changed over time. What is impressive is that by and large it is the same script, though I thought he hadn't worked some stuff out with regards to Baby by that point. There's a sentimental streak to the movie that's missing from the script, but it sounds like the battle at the end is better in the script, or at least it's more audacious.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Spergatory posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriting/comments/5w938w/request_edgar_wrights_baby_driver/

This clearly isn't the shooting script, as it's still set in LA, so a lot of stuff is different here.

What's interesting to me is how different the tone of the ending is here. For one thing, in this version, Debora isn't there for the final clash, and it's made clear that Buddy's parting shots leave Baby completely and permanently deaf, or at least much worse than he seems in the movie. Baby goes and gets Debora after Buddy dies and it's played almost like he's abducting her without realizing it. When they confront the police blockade, he gets ready to speed off, but realizes that she's scared, has an "oh god what the gently caress am I doing, who even am I anymore" moment, and surrenders instead. It's also clear in this version that his happy ending with Debora is a fantasy that he's coming up with based on a postcard she sent him, and it's left up to the audience as to whether or not he really gets any kind of happy ending. All-in-all, much more of a downer. :smith:

Thanks!

Saw this again just now, it's even better the second time IMO.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
this film would have been a million times better with simon pegg, mark heap, michael smiley and nick frost instead of real actors

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RideTheSpiral posted:

this film would have been a million times better with simon pegg, mark heap, michael smiley and nick frost instead of real actors

But Edgar Wright already made the Blue Song music video, that would just be redundant.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Saw this last night. This movie loving rules.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
Does Simon Pegg or Nick Frost show up at all?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not that I saw.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Great movie.

I couldn't squelch my inner nitpicker at the ending though.

Edgar Wright, you poor naive Englishman. Baby's got like 20 felony murder counts on him. 25 years with parole in 5? A Georgia judge/jury would hang him for what goes down in this movie.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well, counterpoint: He's white.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Great movie.

I couldn't squelch my inner nitpicker at the ending though.

Edgar Wright, you poor naive Englishman. Baby's got like 20 felony murder counts on him. 25 years with parole in 5? A Georgia judge/jury would hang him for what goes down in this movie.

Is it actually parole? I thought it was just like, a check-in to see if his sentence would be commuted at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope we get a sequel in 25 years with a 50 year old Ansel Elgort with a comically large beard.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Is it actually parole? I thought it was just like, a check-in to see if his sentence would be commuted at all.

I thought they said he'd get a parole hearing after 5, and then the part with him leaving prison was him leaving after getting paroled after 5 years.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Mulva posted:

Well, counterpoint: He's white.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PostNouveau posted:

I thought they said he'd get a parole hearing after 5, and then the part with him leaving prison was him leaving after getting paroled after 5 years.

You can take it how you want, but that scene looked like a straight up stylish fantasy to me. Rainbows and 50's style clothes and what not.

Possible it was real, but who knows.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

You can take it how you want, but that scene looked like a straight up stylish fantasy to me. Rainbows and 50's style clothes and what not.

Possible it was real, but who knows.

I took the transition from black and white to color (his first fantasy is all black and white) to mean that Baby got exactly what he was dreaming of when he got out of prison. His fantasy of freedom came true.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I took the transition from black and white to color (his first fantasy is all black and white) to mean that Baby got exactly what he was dreaming of when he got out of prison. His fantasy of freedom came true.

Yes.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Plus, they could have all been counts of robbery. I think there was one charge he was declared not guilty, which could have been a self-defense murder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chieves posted:

Plus, they could have all been counts of robbery. I think there was one charge he was declared not guilty, which could have been a self-defense murder.

Nah, in the states we have a "felony murder" rule in nearly every state. If someone is killed while you're committing a felony, you get the murder charge too, even if you didn't pull the trigger. Getaway drivers and even lookouts included. Baby would have been on the hook for everyone Bats, Buddy and Darling killed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
From how I understand it I think the point people are missing is that it's an option for them to prosecute but they can decide not to. Extenuating circumstances here include Baby potentially acting under duress (e.g. If he has Doc on tape threatening to kill him and everyone he loves), being a minor part of the crime, the character witnesses getting the public on his side, and him being possibly co-operative in testifying on Doc's criminal network, and so on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also: it's a movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty certain that tape recorder wouldn't have picked up poo poo in his pocket like that and no coffee place fills orders that fast.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm pretty certain that tape recorder wouldn't have picked up poo poo in his pocket like that and no coffee place fills orders that fast.

Well, they were just black coffees...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Red Oktober posted:

Well, they were just black coffees...

Fine.

There's no way Baby's name isn't misspelled on at least one of those cups. Immersion ruined.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I think you're probably right about the parole thing, since that's what someone else said too so I'm probably just misremembering, but I disagree about the ending.
2 just copy-paste my take from the GenChat thread: I don't think we're supposed to take that as literal, the entire film is about Baby engaging in constant escapism to avoid the consequences of his actions. The end of the movie has him engaging in an identical fantasy to one we see earlier in the film. But the difference is that contextually the fantasy is a little more real (colored) because this time there's room for it to at least exist in some form in the future.
It's still presented in a sort of hazy fantasy style & it transitions from him looking at that postcard to the scene. At the very least I think it's supposed to be ambiguous, I remember reading somewhere recently that Ansel Elgort says he thinks it's definitely not real so it's not like it's a super implausible take.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Eh, I could buy it being a fantasy but what does that really add to the movie? Baby doing his time and then reuniting with Deb is a logical way to end his character arc. She sticks with him through crazy gangster gunfights and car chases, and is willing to run a blockade of FBI agents for him, so I don't see why she wouldn't wait for him to get out of prison. The colour transition seems to suggest that this time it's not the same as the previous fantasy sequence.

In the end he does face up to what he's done and surrenders to the cops, so I feel like the movie is no longer about him ignoring the consequences of what he's done.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Blisster posted:

Eh, I could buy it being a fantasy but what does that really add to the movie? Baby doing his time and then reuniting with Deb is a logical way to end his character arc. She sticks with him through crazy gangster gunfights and car chases, and is willing to run a blockade of FBI agents for him, so I don't see why she wouldn't wait for him to get out of prison. The colour transition seems to suggest that this time it's not the same as the previous fantasy sequence.

In the end he does face up to what he's done and surrenders to the cops, so I feel like the movie is no longer about him ignoring the consequences of what he's done.

It's a good question, I'd say the difference between it being him literally getting out of prison versus it being a fantasy of him getting out of prison is the idea that he's still got to suffer through the consequences of what he's done. When I pasted it here I cut out the second half of my original post bcuz im an idiot & thought it was unnecessary here but it clarifies my take a bit
"I mean personally I found Baby likable but I think the movie very much portrays him as a bad person, especially with Buddy as a sight of him in the future (a former driver with a love interest he's willing to die for [and all he cares about], who is, as Jamie Foxx's character points out, also implicit in violence that he doesn't necessarily own up to), his decision at the end is him purposefully making a decision unlike his father to end the ***cycle of violence***. But it doesn't mean that Baby is free of the consequences of his actions."

e: apologies if its bad form 2 just paste stuff ive posted already...im min/maxin

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think you're probably right about the parole thing, since that's what someone else said too so I'm probably just misremembering, but I disagree about the ending.
2 just copy-paste my take from the GenChat thread: I don't think we're supposed to take that as literal, the entire film is about Baby engaging in constant escapism to avoid the consequences of his actions. The end of the movie has him engaging in an identical fantasy to one we see earlier in the film. But the difference is that contextually the fantasy is a little more real (colored) because this time there's room for it to at least exist in some form in the future.
It's still presented in a sort of hazy fantasy style & it transitions from him looking at that postcard to the scene. At the very least I think it's supposed to be ambiguous, I remember reading somewhere recently that Ansel Elgort says he thinks it's definitely not real so it's not like it's a super implausible take.

I don't think it's an implausible take on the ending. The visual language just struck me as a clear movement from fantasy to reality. I could be reading it wrong.

I'm having trouble remembering, but doesn't the whole prison montage work in pretty seamless transitions from one shot to the next? The postcard -> him leaving prison transition didn't jump out at me as being unusual in the context.

• Locked thread