Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe I'll have a better opinion a second time if I watch it at home but I was disappointed with this one. Especially for having to drive 45 minutes out of the city and back to see it at a drive-in. The humour didn't land and the space scene felt like they were doing it because everyone joked about expecting it to happen at some point. If you're going to have cars in space there should be some kind of race or chase or battle.

I did like the action sequences, especially the magnet stuff, but in between it dragged. I'm feeling the loss of Brian in the franchise because I don't care about Dom all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Was Scott Eastwood too blatant a Brian clone that they dropped him completely?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WhyteRyce posted:

Was Scott Eastwood too blatant a Brian clone that they dropped him completely?

Yeah, strange that he isn't in this. Seemed like it would have been a natural fit if the story had started with him coming to Dom for help to find his boss.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Han is the Scott Eastwood character

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

True.

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

A good entry into the franchise.

Very nice to have Justin Lin back. I think he is probably the world's biggest fan of the series and it really shows - there's a love for the characters (major and minor with all the cameos).

Look forward to seeing what X and X-2 do.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

F9 was exactly what I wanted it to be. B+ story, ridiculous car stunts, fan service callbacks and cameos, and FAMILY

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Forget retconning han's death any more, retcon the heist in the first one and it turns out those combo dvd/vcrs are actually some sort of secret superweapon. We need to remember that 'trucker with a gun' is actually the teams greatest enemy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Forget retconning han's death any more, retcon the heist in the first one and it turns out those combo dvd/vcrs are actually some sort of secret superweapon. We need to remember that 'trucker with a gun' is actually the teams greatest enemy.

"Trucker with a gun" will turn out to be Cypher's father.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Everyone posted:

"Trucker with a gun" will turn out to be Cypher's father.

Nah Mr. Nobody is Cypher's dad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Obviously this is all leading to James Marsden being the main villain so he can get his revenge on Nobody for being blinded.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Going to find out Mr Nobody was the one buying all those DVD players from the crew

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

Nah Mr. Nobody is Cypher's dad.

Mr. Nobody was "trucker with a gun" who was also getting those DVD players from the crew for... reasons.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Not the strongest of the series but I did enjoy it overall and John Cena is a great addition to the cast.

Mostly I was disappointed by the over use of CGI, I thought that the return of Lin would be a mean a greater use of practical effects but drat near everything was CGI or heavily touched up with CGI. It really takes me out of the action. Some of the sets were terrible too, that Tokyo street looked like something out of a theme park.

But I can't be too mad at a film that has Vin Diesel recreate the balrog scene and return as Torreto the White.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rewatched the first 4 movies. It’s fun pretending John Cena, Kurt Russell, and Jason Statham are just lurking around in the background out of focus in every scene

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Rewatched the first 4 movies. It’s fun pretending John Cena, Kurt Russell, and Jason Statham are just lurking around in the background out of focus in every scene

"All my nemeses are just out of frame, familying too"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I want Fast 10 to be Cipher collecting a Legion of Doom of old forgotten enemies to take down Dom. That Miami drug lord, Braga, DK, Lance the crazy cousin with snake pants, trucker with a shotgun

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I want the villain of F10 to make Vin sit down and have a parade of all the henchmen's families come out and chastize him for killing them. Like an Italian Mamma or something coming out and wailing at Vin's feet holding up a picture of some random scrub that got iced in Fast 5 and Vin just sitting there stone faced like he normally is because he's some machismo joke but his eyes have a 1000 yard stare and then the villain asks "Family? You don't know what that means."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

WhyteRyce posted:

I would have loved it if the went back and just inserted Statham just giving Han the murder eyes into Tokyo Drift.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At this point the franchise is a hair's breadth away from doing Back to the Future.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gatts posted:

I want the villain of F10 to make Vin sit down and have a parade of all the henchmen's families come out and chastize him for killing them. Like an Italian Mamma or something coming out and wailing at Vin's feet holding up a picture of some random scrub that got iced in Fast 5 and Vin just sitting there stone faced like he normally is because he's some machismo joke but his eyes have a 1000 yard stare and then the villain asks "Family? You don't know what that means."

That was the plot of fast 7

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Who'd like to take a turn at guessing which of the F&F movies Kurt Russel has watched?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

Who'd like to take a turn at guessing which of the F&F movies Kurt Russel has watched?

I'll say that he's watched this one and only this one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

well why not posted:

Kurt Russell was in roughly two scenes of this movie and one was something he could have easily recorded on the toilet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/dwayne-johnson-emily-blunt-jungle-cruise-1234984896/
Interview with Johnson about Jungle Cruise but has a reply to Vin Diesel's remarks.

quote:

When asked about Diesel’s comments, Johnson says, “I laughed and I laughed hard. I think everyone had a laugh at that. And I’ll leave it at that. And that I’ve wished them well. I wish them well on Fast 9. And I wish them the best of luck on Fast 10 and Fast 11 and the rest of the Fast & Furious movies they do that will be without me.”

Also kind of sounds like no more Hobbs and Shaw?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The tl;dr for what Diesel said:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

lmao Vin is such a lame goober but I love him

honestly good riddance to the rock

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mandrel posted:

lmao Vin is such a lame goober but I love him

honestly good riddance to the rock

Fs 5, 6 and 7 were probably the best movies in the franchise and they all had Johnson in them. 8 fell down a bit but that was likely more due to the loss of Paul Walker than to the presence of the the Rock.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Fs 5, 6 and 7 were probably the best movies in the franchise and they all had Johnson in them. 8 fell down a bit but that was likely more due to the loss of Paul Walker than to the presence of the the Rock.

Nah, it was just a shift in director. It took 4 movies for Lin to learn that perfect balance between absurdity and sincerity that makes the movies work. James Wan had something very similar and Gray never quite found the sweet spot. Paul Walker, despite by all accounts being a nice guy, was not the thing holding FnF together.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, it was just a shift in director. It took 4 movies for Lin to learn that perfect balance between absurdity and sincerity that makes the movies work. James Wan had something very similar and Gray never quite found the sweet spot. Paul Walker, despite by all accounts being a nice guy, was not the thing holding FnF together.

I don't know. I could see the idea of Walker being the nice guy that got the egos of Diesel and Johnson to get along being something that held FnF together.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Nifty article covering the work Proof Inc did on Previs/Postvis VFX for Fast 9. I've worked Postvis with these guys since Fast 7, and its certainly one of the crazier productions you can get to work on- I feel lucky to have been able to contribute some (accurate) visual touches to the space sequence!

https://www.awn.com/vfxworld/proofs-f9-visualization-was-race-finish

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 25, 2021

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Okan170 posted:

Nifty article covering the work Proof Inc did on Previs/Postvis VFX for Fast 9. I've worked Postvis with these guys since Fast 7, and its certainly one of the crazier productions you can get to work on- I feel lucky to have been able to contribute some (accurate) visual touches to the space sequence!

https://www.awn.com/vfxworld/proofs-f9-visualization-was-race-finish

wow, wish they had gotten into some detail on how they came at those magnet gags

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

atrus50 posted:

wow, wish they had gotten into some detail on how they came at those magnet gags

Coming in after Previs I can't speak to the creative planning of it, except that there are a lot of hot wheels around the office. Execution-wise, most of the magnet gags are the standard movie things: cranes, CG and lots of careful wire work (with rig/wire removal). The production tends to shoot a lot of it practically which means crazy rigs to launch cars around, and the article is right on about how its a pleasure to see plates come in- sometimes you get something like the flaming tire blowing past the camera at the climax of 8 that are just magnificent. It gives you a real appreciation for the practical side when you've got stunts and pyro at the top of their game.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The magnets caused hilarious amounts of collateral damage but I just rewatched Fast Five and the vault was basically the same thing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The genuinely surprising part of these movies is that we still haven't gotten a decent video game out of them. They lend themselves so well to some sort of "diddy kong racing but sexy/gritty" formula, where some people are in planes, some in hovercraft, some in tanks and so on. It's weird that we never got it. Then again, I guess video game adaptations of film properties have been dying off for a long time. They used to be almost guaranteed.

Everyone posted:

I don't know. I could see the idea of Walker being the nice guy that got the egos of Diesel and Johnson to get along being something that held FnF together.

I see that argument. He did have that channing tatum quality of being able to have on screen chemistry with basically anyone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There was a mobile game around the time 7 or 8 came out IIRC.

And yeah, Walker 100% brought an easy charisma to the franchise. You wanted that guy to succeed. And he would interact in funnier ways with the rest of the cast.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 28, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

btw Channing Tatum really needs to join the franchise

Does Dom have a long lost twin brother?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wasn’t that who cena plays? Lol I didn’t see 9 but I saw the trailers

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That’s his younger brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
They need to do fast ten with channing tatum being his older brother, and flashback to the same scenes they did in fast 9 but like pan over and have him standing there off to the side