Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

The Exile games are rather stingy with spell points. I have an end-game party in Exile 1 (but I can't remember where I stopped) so I think that I can say that with some authority. I bought a ridiculous number of skill potions in that game and most of them want to shoring up my spellcasters' max mana, and only three of my six even cast spells.
That's because you don't gain spell points when you level (or if you do, it's at a ridiculously slow rate) - you get free spell points on character creation based on the amount of points you put into your starting mage/priest skill, but after that, you have to actually spend skill points directly on increasing your mana pool.

When I played through the Exile games as a kid, I made it all the way to end-game with something like 35 max spell points on each of my casters except for one guy with exactly 50 for the plot-requisite Ritual of Sanctification, then brought Energy Potions to make up for the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You are correct. HP goes up based on Strength each level-up, while SP has to be manually invested in. That's because everyone uses HP, but only people who want SP use it. For the record, at the end of E1, where a spell's level was it's SP cost, Art ended the game with 36 SP, Peregrine IV has 81 and Ember had 74. At the end of E2, Art had 70, Dmurr had 16(!) and Kai-Lyss had 92. This was augmented by my using the Crystal Cave special to give everyone 150 SP before heading into the final dungeon and stocking up on Medium Energy Potions like they were going out of style. End of E3, Art had 65, Sass, 62, Ni'arrul 86, and Delilah with 100.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My level 34 party in Exile 1 has three casters: one that is all mage, one that is all priest and one that is both. The latter has no other skills but casting. They all have max 99 SP, but again that was due to many, many skill potions.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Scenario 2 - A Mild Rebellion
Chapter 9 - Operation LMS

This is a short part as I badly misjudged how much content was in the end of this line through the scenario. Oh well, can't win them all, really.

"Sorry about that. Where were we?"

"We were just about to attack Jaens super-secret hidden underground fortress."

"If we didn't all live in Avernum, I would call that a ztupid idea."

"Yeah, what if the roof fell in?"

"Would be more entertaining."

"And why did we have this place by the river again? Erosion would be a serious problem."

"Just the usual amount of intelligence we can expect from everyone involved."

"That and maybe they repurposed a natural chamber."

"That iz logical. We cannot dizcount such things."

"So, how do we get into this place anyways?"

"I'm not gonna tell you my name. It's Marv. Stalker told me to tell you that once you go down that hole, go north, then in the back door. Stalker will launch a distraction, and you take that to sneak in the back and kill Jaen. Leaving is up to you. But you can't come back this way for reasons."

"Did we just reuse the same plot? We get infiltrated, the other faction creates a vain distraction out front and we go and stab the head of the side we're killing?"

"Sometimes strange minds think alike."

"Not in my experience."

"Sure, let's use the garbage chute, the furnace chimney for when they burn their trash. Not like that's every gone wrong before."

"But with the Runners, they would probably try to get one of their boom-boxes as close to Jaen as possible. Either the explosion kills him or causes enough of a mess and distraction that we can go finish the job."

"Knowing our luck, we'll have to finish it."

"I ztill wonder what sort of facility Jaen operates out of. An underground fortress iz so... overdone."

"Agreed."

"Also, can we skip to the part where we stab the guy? I mean, I feel like a slog through a base has been done before with our previous imaginations."

"Agreed. We have proven that we know nothing, so all our ideaz are just that. Ideaz."

"I suppose. You think he's any good in a fight? He's an intelligence agent."

"He could be a dervish."

"Doubtful. We met one, and he waz not leaderzhip material."

"I mean, nah. He might have some skill, but that's just typical."

"Don't count someone dead until they are dead."

"Then then getting out."

"I doubt we can walk out the front door, so we'll probably have to go around."

"And deal with the incoming reinforcements."

"I alzo doubt we could stay and investigate at our leisure."

"And knowing the sort of people we're interacting with, we'll undoubtedly have to fight our way out the last bit, with them hot on our heels."

"Too bad our imaginations don't let us have one of those explosive boxes to leave behind as a present."

"Then report back to Stalker."

"Good news! There is no one left on the island who can stop me now. Except you. For the love of me and my goals, go away. There's a reward in a side room, and a boat you can leave under the fort. Because if you stay, people might think you're better than me, and I can't have that."

"Sounds about right."

"I wonder what can match that armor that Jaen would have given us?"

"The same armor?" :lol:

I will have words later.

"And thus, we leave. For good."

"Well, here in reality, LMS is almost ready. We all good to go?"

"Everyone?"

"I am."

"Az well."

"All set."

"Let's do it."

An extra point of Strength and Edge Weapons, as I've been focusing more on trying to level my casters and not my melee monsters.

With two levels, she gets +5 Archery.

Also with two levels, Danger boosts his Strength and Dexterity by two points each, using the points saved from last time.

Tokka gets Mage 5, and another point of Intelligence.

And Zaka drops all five Skill Points into Spell Points.

Lastly, Hox gets +2 Dex and +1 Bashing.

"OK, we're here. We've got all our gear. I have my pants."

"Operation LMS is a go!"

"Tickets please?"

"Here you go. Six to Krizsan, thank you."

"Welcome aboard the Lady Maria Santa. Enjoy your trip."

"And good riddance!"

... I'm not sure what to say about this scenario. I mean, yes, A Small/Mild Rebellion is the middle scenario of the default three, and doesn't have the same introductory elegance that the Valley does, or the tenseness of the last. It's just there, and if you know what you're doing - like me - it's actually very short.

What the real draw of the scenario is, is the three endings. While you can side with either of the two factions on the island, getting the third one requires doing something that you're never explicitly told to do, but something that is built into every scenario.

Just...
leave.

There is nothing holding you to the scenario, and until you either get captured by the Rebels, or attack the hidden Empire fort, this option is always available to you. Just head on back to the start, and hop on the boat. Leave.

This option was something that appealed to Jeff Vogel, as the next game, Geneforge 1 would have a half-dozen versions of the ending depending on what you did or did not do, or whom you sided with or destroyed. It was a definite step up in terms of technical skill, and represented one of Vogel's fundamental opinions about his RPG's.

You are not always in the right.

But be that as it may, let's talk the loot. For stopping the Rebels, you are rewarded with the Prismatic Armor. I would like you to compare this to the Best Armor in Exile 3.

Here, in the middle of the three scenarios, we are handed a suit of armor that has 2 points higher base protection, weights 2.5 times less, and has Full Protection, meaning resistance to EVERYTHING, rather than "many things". The Prismatic is, simply put, better than everything else.

On the other hand, taking Stalkers side rewards you with this, and compare it to the best equivalent in Exile 3.

This new weapon HAS NO WEIGHT, and while the base damage is 2 points lower, Korthrax has a +5 bonus, meaning that it hits more reliably, and has a higher average damage! It's the same thing, where these scenarios had out loot to the party that can casually eclipse things that needed effort to obtain in previous games.

It doesn't stop there. Some of the stuff in other scenarios will blow your mind. I've seen things.

So, what do you think? Let me know. I'm not a fan of this scenario, and I'll be getting into the next one right away. As per your wishes from the last vote, I'm going to take Team Crime into the last scenario that comes bundled with the game, then see what you want of me from there. See you then!

"So... that's a fine mess."

"The decision to abort was mine, sir."

"And I can't argue with it. I've already contacted the Lorelei Embassy and sent along your reports. I can tell you right now, the Empire wants an easy win to flex its strength and this time next month, the entirety of Morrow's Isle is going to be shoulder-to-shoulder with the Imperial Army. This Stalker will either hide or die, and Jaen is going to be answering some very harsh questions about what the hell happened that he got us to help him out."

"Sounds about right."

"Ugh, I'm too old for this."

"Your hair barely shows the white, sir."

"..."

"Anaximander, a queztion?"

"Of course."

"I have notized that you have a Dervish's embalm on the wall. Did you gain that in combat?"

"Technically, yes. But to answer the actual question you're asking, no. The Dervish you reported meeting is the typical kind, the top-of-the-line soldiery of the Empire. The other kind of Dervish is those who are promoted to the rank because of grand service to the Empire. Good catch though, as having one keeping the peace in Muck was a total waste. I hope that the old Lord can be found and answers gotten from him."

"Volpe... I wish we could have talked to him."

"Nothing but wishes now." :sigh: "OK, so while you did a good job, and no one is going to hunt you down and murder you in your sleep over this, it's been strongly suggested to me that you six... take a break for a while. Head back down to Exile, I have what should be a quick supply run for you to do."

"Zir?"

"Fort Cavalier, on the north end of the Za-Zhazi run has had supply issues, and Unspecified Services has been called upon to take a more dangerous route to deliver supplies to the Fort before their situation becomes untenable and they have to abandon it. The safe route is longer, but is also being interdicted by factions of the Slithzerakai, so Tokka-Gess or Zaka, I want one of you to take point on this mission. You will report to Fort Gooding, and will receive final instructions there."

"Of course sir."

"Dismissed."

Whybird posted:

There is in fact a fourth ending: if you side with the Empire, then when Jaen appears to talk to you and congratulate you on the docks, you can go hostile on him (like you can with any NPC) and murder him too, and the game will recognise this.

"You know...."

"Yez?"

In both our hypothetical scenarios, we met with the leader of the opposite faction after killing the head of one."

"I see where you're going with this."

"I don't."

"What if we had taken the opportunity to.... kill them?"

"Without the leadership on both sides, they would have kept to their conflict, more determined than ever to avenge their loss, but without any central controlling figure."

"We could have avoided suspicion az the people would assume they were dead by the otherz hands."

"Would it matter though?"

"No, no it would not."

My rebel sided save is after I left the scenario (silly me), but I can only presume that "Kill Stalker after killing Jaen" also has its own ending dialogue that mirrors this.

Goddamnit Jeff, you didn't even mention this was possible in the walk-through YOU WROTE. You amazing, brilliant man you. And thanks Whybird for pointing that out to me. See you all next time.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 18, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I’m completely opposite from you. I think Small Rebellion is far and away the most interesting of the three default scenarios. It provides options, moral ambiguity, and variety whereas the other two feel much more vanilla and less exciting.

As for being able to leave, many (most?) scenarios that I’ve played also offer a “hit da bricks, just walk out” option. Typically it’s in the initial town you start at, so as long as you can access that town, you can quit the scenario freely. Presumably this is so that you could get out of a scenario if you didn’t enjoy it or got in over your head or etc - without needing to fiddle with the character editor.

The Geneforge comparisons are interesting here because the scenario is clearly a proto-Geneforge and the first two games also have this option. In 1, you can leave as soon as you go to the zone with a boat and can survive an all out sprint to the boat. In 2, the only criteria is fulfilling the “Meet Barzahl” quest that sits in your log for the first half of the game, as soon as you do that, you can walk right out (though the game doesn’t indicate this in any way).

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

As for being able to leave, many (most?) scenarios that I’ve played also offer a “hit da bricks, just walk out” option. Typically it’s in the initial town you start at, so as long as you can access that town, you can quit the scenario freely. Presumably this is so that you could get out of a scenario if you didn’t enjoy it or got in over your head or etc - without needing to fiddle with the character editor.
This is the only scenario where "Just leave" gets its own special ending. Everything else is just generic "you want to leave? OK, you're done."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've always liked Jeff's ambiguous morality stance. I don't believe in good nor evil nor happy endings and morality in the world is dictated by whomever has the power, so moments of 'it was all hosed anyway' appeal to me. Fairy-tale endings work in fairy tale stories, but these games are written in such a way that such things just come across as contrived.

berryjon, does Blades of Exile only have three scenarios designed for the same party? I thought that BoE and BoA had all the same modules, and I know that BoA has 4.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, Geneforge 2. That was my first Spiderweb Software game, and it holds a very special place in my heart.

It's also the next game he's remaking, now that QW2 is out the door. I can't wait :allears:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So this is an actual moral decision. Choose to help one of the two rear end in a top hat factions in this civil war, or just book it and abstain from the rewards of helping one of the assholes.

While the min-maxer in me dislikes you not getting any rewards, especially after you actually played the game to show off the rewards, I do admire the story reasoning for just letting you leave. This is war-crime central between two factions that are horrendously bad, and sometimes its better to just wash your hands of it.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
There is in fact a fourth ending: if you side with the Empire, then when Jaen appears to talk to you and congratulate you on the docks, you can go hostile on him (like you can with any NPC) and murder him too, and the game will recognise this.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Real winners quit.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cutting your loses is such an underappreciated approach.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Whybird posted:

Motherfucker. How could I have missed this? There are special ending messages for killing Erika and Micah, why wouldn't there be one here?

Update will be edited shortly.

edit: Previous update edited with a small addendum to show this ending off.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 22, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I went and answered my own question. Apparently Blades of Avernum has a high-level adventure called 'Diplomacy with the Dead' that was not in Blades of Exile.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I went and answered my own question. Apparently Blades of Avernum has a high-level adventure called 'Diplomacy with the Dead' that was not in Blades of Exile.

Yep, it's pretty neat.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
The scenario is very well written and matches the ugliness of real life.

I don't think I would enjoy playing it, however. Sometimes the real world is enough.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Sadly, I've checked my sources, and that scenario wasn't back-ported into BoE, so I won't be able to show it off for you all.

The Za-Zhazi Run, due to it's gimmick, is going to be played through twice, I'm thinking. Once to win, and once to show everything off as best I can.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

Sadly, I've checked my sources, and that scenario wasn't back-ported into BoE, so I won't be able to show it off for you all.

The Za-Zhazi Run, due to it's gimmick, is going to be played through twice, I'm thinking. Once to win, and once to show everything off as best I can.

Is that way you decided not to continue the party from parts one and two?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Is that way you decided not to continue the party from parts one and two?

No, no. Same party. But the first pass through will be for the gimmick, then the second pass will be ignoring it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

No, no. Same party. But the first pass through will be for the gimmick, then the second pass will be ignoring it.

I stand corrected.

berryjon posted:

Since it's an official scenario, if only in another engine, why not show it off after this upcoming one?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Scenario 3 - The Za-Khazi Run
Chapter 1 - Fort Goodling and Assikvas

Hello all, and welcome to the third core scenario for Blades of Exile. Under normal circumstances, I would jump right into it, but this one is a little special, and requires me to explain something about it before hand. The Za-Khazi Run is a timed scenario. Not like Exile 3, which had soft-caps on timing to show the slow loss to Valorim to the Plagues, but the game was still winnable. No, in this scenario, if you do not complete it by the end of Day 20, you lose. Yes, you can still get to the finish line, but you have lost.

So, what I am going to do is fairly simple. I am going to make one run through this Scenario as fast as I can in order to beat the time limit. Once I have that, I am then going to restart the scenario and ignore the time limit, looking at everything along the way, because there are a few different ways to get through certain checkpoints, and I would like to show them all for you.

With that in mind, I begin the... fast Run.

"We are here."

"We are. Your victory was well fought."

"You played Rock-Paper-Scissors to decide who would be in charge."

"What you humanz zee as a child's game iz a master-class in strategy for the Slithzerikai. But I have own, and it iz time to move forward."

"Found this in the chest."

"What is it? Alchemical?"

"Dunno."

"Se are rested. Let uz get our mizzion and be done with it."

You recognize the robes this man wears. They are the traditional robes of the Triad of the Tower of Magi, center of magical learning in exile. "When I see Peregrine again, I'm going to turn him into a toad," he mutters as you approach.

"Magus."

"Ah, there you are. I am Seletine, of the Triad. I have tome to render assistance in the fight, which you are here to help me with."

"What sort of assiztance are we to help with, Magus?"

"We have watched the fight for For Cavalier with concern," he says. "To protect the fort, we have created a package to be taken to them, to aid in their defense."

"What iz this package?"

"I'm sorry, I know you are here to help, but I can only tell you after you have been officially been given the mission. Talk to the Commander. His chambers are in the corner over there."

"Thank you, Magus."

"Hello?"

"Here." The Commander of Fort Goodling looks like she's wearing her armor more for show than out of a desire to fight hand-to-hand. The books on tactics that surround her show where he true focus is. She stands to shake your hand. "I am Commander Yale, how can I help you?"

We are here from Unspecified Services, you sent for uz."

"Right, sorry. I am the commander of this front against the Sliths - no, not you, the others. I asked the Castle to send a team to perform a critical mission for us, which is where you come in."

"What iz the nature of thiz mission?"

"I'm not sure how much you know, but the Sliths are far worse now than they were in the first War. Yes, Sss-Thsss was an amazing leader, but this is on a whole different level. Sever of their tribes have united into something larger than we've ever seen before, and their magical and martial skills are as sharp as ever. They are attacking Cavalier to test our defenses. Without them, we are the next line of defense, and there is nothing between us and Fort Remote.[/i]

"Cavalier is about 250 miles to the north, and has been under siege for months. The sliths there keep putting on the pressure, and unless they receive support, the fort will fall soon. Very soon. This would be a strategic disaster. We need to get this package to them. The perils are great, but so are the rewards. Do you accept?"

"We accept

"Go speak with Seletine, he should be in the common room now. Tell him you've accepted the mission, and he will give you the package to take to the fort."

"We will."

"Ah, I heard."

"Yez, we are to do the mizzion."

"Thank you."

"Good luck. The docks are due north of here. Take which one you feel is best, and be on your way. Time is of the essence."

"We take zat one."

"I can feel the rapidz from here."

"Az can I."

"And the rest of us?"

"Will have to trust."

"Well, that's not ominous at all. But we've been through a bit already."

"So there's no reason to stop now. Lead on."

"Our path iz clear here. But the waterz will not be kind to uz."

"No, we knew what we were doing when we signed on. It was this or the Abyss."

"And to hell with them."

"..."

"Do you humanz not have a saying, the calm before the storm?"

"It is pretty calm. Which means the storm must be more."

"The point of no return. After thiz, we will reach Cavalier, or die."

"You make that zound ominous."

"How many will think uz traitors?"

"..."

"That was .... not bad. But yeah, I can see why this path isn't supposed to be taken."

"Not even properly mapped, which is a problem."

"Hold."

"Why?"

"That."

"I wonder what it means."

"Za, a prefix meaning long, or far in terms of distance. Kha is to travel or journey, and zi is... unknown or lack of knowing, a mystery. So, the Za-khazi Run is a long journey though mysterious lands."

"Why do I keep forgetting you actually went to school?"

"Keep it up, we might just need that at some point."

"A calm lake. I zee several outlets to the north, but only one haz current flowing northward still."

"I see it, we will follow it."

Dungeons Skipped: 1

"Thiz one, in the middle."

"I hope you guys know what you're doing. Going up and down the wrong paths would be bad news."

"If I get them right, the path from here to there is all down-river, as much as possible."

"Correct.."

"Fishers?"

"No, thoze are signal lights. A place to stop."

"A demand to ztop."

"I don't suppose we can go past?"

"Not without trouble."

"But it iz also a peacful summons. Arrive in peace, leave in peace."

"And they might know about the paths ahead!"

"It's only day two, I think we can afford some time."

"Very well."

:doh:

"What?"

"Oh, it's one of those things."

"Bloody Hells, really?"

"Maybe there will be a quick resolution to this."

{I am Zaka-Priest. State your Business.}

"Translation?"

"Sssh!"

This massive male slith stares at you impassively, with dark reptilian eyes. He seems ready to attack you at a moment's notice. {I am Masskriss, of Assikvas, Priest. You are here to pass to the north? With humans?}

{I am, warrior. With what do you bar my path?}

{We control the only passage north into our lands, Priest. We have blocked the way with sharp stones and traps. To better keep the humans from passing.}

{I desire passage, and will have it.}

{For you and the Mage? No cost. But for the Humans? ... A treasure, or gold.}

"We can afford it."

{Here.}

[Go forth, Priest, and have no fear. The gods await you.}

"What happened?"

"We got scammed, that's what. I bet we could have stolen in and gotten what we needed without paying a thing."

"Yeah, but then it would have been a bloodbath."

Dungeons Skipped: 2

"Here's hoping we weren't given bad info. Those look... deadly."

"Safe."

"But the water is slowing down."

"Another large lake?"

"No. Worse."

"Unforseen."

"Thiz is not good. Not good at all."

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This looks interesting. :allears:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I bet they can make the run in less then 12 parts of standard exile clocks (parsecs, colloquially)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

berryjon posted:

"I'm not sure how much you know, but the Sliths are far worse now than they were in the first War. Yes, Sss-Thsss was an amazing leader, but this is on a whole different level. Sever of their tribes have united into something larger than we've ever seen before, and their magical and martial skills are as sharp as ever. They are attacking Cavalier to test our defenses. Without them, we are the next line of defense, and there is nothing between us and Fort Remote.

"Cavalier is about 250 miles to the north, and has been under siege for months. The sliths there keep putting on the pressure, and unless they receive support, the fort will fall soon. Very soon. This would be a strategic disaster. We need to get this package to them. The perils are great, but so are the rewards. Do you accept?"
Fort Cavalier is located 250 miles from anywhere else in Exile - and that "anywhere else" is Fort Goodling, which itself is the frontier. Oh, and the only route for resupply, fresh troops, or etc involves a deadly river rapids route.

I'm going to say we're just delaying the inevitable here because Fort Cavalier looks seriously hosed. Even if they fight off whatever Slith assault is currently "testing their defenses", this just isn't logistically viable.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

quote:

"What you humanz zee as a child's game iz a master-class in strategy for the Slithzerikai. But I have own, and it iz time to move forward."

This is truly great typo.

I found another, but forgot to note it propertly.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

Fort Cavalier is located 250 miles from anywhere else in Exile - and that "anywhere else" is Fort Goodling, which itself is the frontier. Oh, and the only route for resupply, fresh troops, or etc involves a deadly river rapids route.

In Blades of Avernum, it's pointed out that Cavalier has other, regular supply routes that are far safer, mapped out, and secure, though a bit longer. The Sliths are blockading them. Doing this delivery through the Za-Khazi run is the PCs trying to sneak through the back way into the location. The path is known to exist, but no one is sure about what lay in the way and is basically a hail-mary run. I just hope whatever is in those wands includes a teleportation source.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Chapter 2 - The Unicorns and the Giants

"What's the plan, Zak?"

"Za~ka. And we go north until we hit ze next obstacle and then go around."

"Sounds goot to me. I hope we get out of this mush sooner rather than later."

"Agreed."

"Thiz is at least a ridge, we can get dry up here."

"Yeah, but what's on the other side? That's the question."

"Help!"

"... We assizt."

"Not questioning, but why?"

"Thank you!"

"It iz right."

"Huh, those are big."

"Easier to hit, then."

:science:

"I'm half sure the Unicorn could handle this on its own, but why not?"

:black101:

"Thank you, and go well."

"And that didn't take up too much time."

Did I mention that being in combat also advances the clock? No? Well, it does.

"I do not like thiz."

"Neither do I, and that path is south, not north."

"On the other hand, this is north."

"Anyone else seeing... glitter?"

"Those trees look cultivated."

"Thiz will nto be pleazent."

"No, but it muzt be done."

"AH! MY EYES!"

"Come, we zhould stay to the zouth."

"Ah, yez, I see it now."

"How can you see anything?!?"

"Oh, goodness, just searing and not boiling."

It iz not that bad."

"He's right. You get used to it after a while."

"Hail and well met. Handi sends his regards, and vouches for our integrity."

"Speak to me then, in the nor'west."

"I am Zaka, Priest. And theze are my companions on our travel."

You meet a Unicorn. This stallion, however, lacks the beauty and tranquility of most of the race. His fur is ragged, and he has a bitter, haunted look in his eyes. "Welcome, humans. I am Aetherius. If you have helped Handi, then perhaps you can help me." His voice is rough and uneven.

"What troubles you?"

"I am in mourning for my mate."

"You have our condolences with your loss."

"My poor mate. Aessoforus, who was slain by vicious giants. They butchered her and stole her horn!"

"!!! No!"

"You understand! A unicorn's horn contains a good measure of its spirit. To lay one to rest, the horn must be present. By taking her horn, the Giants have taken some of my love's memory from me. We... I could reward you well if the Horn was recovered from the Giants. Wound you accept this mission?"

"Yez, we accept the mission."

"Wonderful. Handi is a good stallion. I thank you. I can also give you something to help you." He leaves, and returns with a small charm. It is a small, silver horn on a delicate chain. He gives it to you. "When you are in the giant's lair, it will let you know when you are near my mate's horn. Return it and I will reward you well. Also, we have spare supplies."

"What sort of supplies? What works for you may not for us?"

"Understandable. Aessoforus lived in the northeast dome. We have collected some supplies there, to aid those who might help recover her horn. Feel free to help yourself."

"Thank you, and we will return with what you desire."

"You sure we can spend this time helping?"

"Yez."

"OK then."

Doing this really does save a lot of time, as I will show in the second run.

"Good stuff here, I think."

"Except the Darts."

"We don't uze them."

"Hrm...."

"Through them, and risk lozing time as we recover."

"Or go around the long way safely, which is a time sink."

"... We go around. Back to the boat, to the lake to the south, and take an estuary back north."

"I hope thiz is worth it."

"Az do I."

"Of course, it would never be easy."

Nothing Blesses and Curses can't handle.

"Hey, the charm is going this way!"

"Well, at least we know what name to put on the maps."

"Can we focus on the Giants?"

"Charm is going this way!"

"Huh, graveyard."

"Well, we're here. Might as well read the graves."

"Muzt be the onez north."

"Test?"

"Now it's pointing... down?"

"Then down we go."

Dungeons Skipped: 2.75

"No go in!"

:priest:

'Great, fed to the worms. I mean, good for conservation, but what else?"

So... I'm exploring while in combat mode. This is something that will be vital for my Solo Character, and I'll explain what I'm doing there. But for the importance of this scenario, while you are in combat mode, a "turn" doesn't end until all characters have acted. And in combat, everyone can move more than one tile on their action. Which means that when haste is the order of the day, you can upwards of quadruple your speed in a town by fighting and running.

"Here!"

:science: "Ah, a secret. Well hidden."

"Where else would you put a Golden Unicorn horn?"

"The charm isn't helping, and there are four chests to check."

"One at a time, then."

"Ew."

:black101:

"Dizpel Undead iz so good."

"..."

"Got it, let's get the hell out of here."

"Oh, right, Worms."

"And back to the Unicorns."

Dungeons Skipped: 3.5. That's two full dungeons, and I took the fastest path through the Giant's cave and the basement to get what I wanted, to that's 0.75 each.

"We return! Here is your horn."

You present the horn to Aetherius. Overcome, he touches the tip of his horn to the ground in a sign of respect. He then takes the horn in his mouth and leaves the dome. You wait. When he returns, he casts a spell. The charm he gave you earlier turns into a small horn, made of amber. "That is part of your reward."

"This charm will now let you pass through a gate to the north, which will make your task much easier. In addition, although Aeliopole is loathe to speak with humans, I have convinced him to assist you."

"Thank you."

"No, thank you. You have done me a great service."

"We zould be going now."

You come face to face with a unicorn, one of the most graceful, beautiful creatures in existence. This specimen, however, is not tranquil. In fact, it seems agitated by your presence.

"Sorry, we were told that Aeliopole resided here and could help us."

"I am Aeilopole," it says in a deep, quiet voice. "Normally, I spend my days here in quiet contemplation. I also would not speak with you. However, because of what you have done for Aetherius, I will tell you of the caves to the north."

"Thank you for your wisdom."

"I have wandered through them more than the others. I can warn you of some of the creatures ahead."

"We know of the giants and the Slithzerikai. What other creatures lay to the north?"

"There are all manner of undead, lizards and other pests. Two beings you should know about, however, are Morog and Khoth. They are beings which should not be dealt with lightly."

"We have heard of Khoth. Who is Morog?"

"Morog is a lich."

"Liches are lagical beings, undead. Yet, a great wizard in life. This one, she too turned her power into life unending. Many such creatures are unceasing in their malevolence. Morog, on the other hand, had a peculiar sense of honor."

"She often deals with those who enter her fortress, providing rewards for assistance in her magical experiments. Should you deal with her in this way, I give you a warning."

"If she gives you her word, it can be relied upon. However, she is not above trying to trick you out of your reward, once you have it. Evaluate any offers she gives you carefully before accepting."

"A for Khoth, I know little. He is a dragon, and lives at the north end of these caverns. He lays between you and your goal. He will not let anyone pass, not even you, without payment of tribute."

"Yes, he requires that all who would pass through his fortress give him an item of special value."

"Ah...."

"How should I know what a dragon would consider of value? You must discuss that with him. However, I cannot help but think that there must be something in these caves he would judge adequate. Now go, I am done with you."

"Gone!"

"Khoth?!? As in the Dragon, Khoth? I thought he was in Valorim?

"Yeah, this makes no sense!"

"Regardless, we muzt advance forward. But now we know about the Dragon, and can look for zomething to allow uz passage."

And if we weren't warned ahead of time, we'd have to backtrack!

"Well, let's head north then, see what this gate is all about."

"And here, in the norzh-wezt corner of the caves, thiz way iz down."

We are along the left side of the map. To the right is a massive maze that you would have to go through, as well as a dungeon, which we will now skip.

"How... cozy."

"But the way is barred."

"But we have the modified charm."

"Like that!"

"One day, Dizpel Magic and Unlock will work. Until then...."

"And it works on this set as well."

"I feel az though we have made much progress."

Dungeons Skipped: 4.5. That's not the Unicorn Gate itself, but the longer way around includes a dungeon to help eat time.

And we are now at about the half-way point of the trip. Well, halfway by events. There's still a lot of distance to cover.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 5, 2022

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I suppose this is the kind of thing you get from a true solo developed piece of media. A time sequence that encourages you to skip as much of the content made as possible. That's... interesting, for sure.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Keldulas posted:

I suppose this is the kind of thing you get from a true solo developed piece of media. A time sequence that encourages you to skip as much of the content made as possible. That's... interesting, for sure.

Fighting the Giants to get in, that's the fastest way. I took the long route around. Now remember, I'm also using a guide/walkthrough for this, and I am deliberately skipping everything I can. Also, the back third has something of a web of actions. Doing something can close other avenues off, meaning that doing X prevents Y, taking up Z time, while doing A stops B, but enables Y, taking up D time. It's just this front section is fairly linear.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
You said that you were going to do a completionist run after this one, correct?

I probably wouldn't like this scenario much. I'm an explorer-type who likes to see all of the content and I do not like to have to rush and skip things. It feels like a game that is punishing me for wanting to enjoy all of it, which is a backwards system.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

You said that you were going to do a completionist run after this one, correct?

If I can get away with it, this will be the only run where I get less than 95% completion in a scenario.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

If I can get away with it, this will be the only run where I get less than 95% completion in a scenario.

I like that you left yourself about 5% daylight for all scenario's going forward - very clever and sensible.

Edit: Would it have been possible to edit the scenario to remove the time limit/insure the 'prompt' ending and then do a completionist run of it? I was curious as to whether players could edit the stock scenarios.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 6, 2022

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I like that you left yourself about 5% daylight for all scenario's going forward - very clever and sensible.

Edit: Would it have been possible to edit the scenario to remove the time limit/insure the 'prompt' ending and then do a completionist run of it? I was curious as to whether players could edit the stock scenarios.

Yes, players can open the stock scenarios in the scenario editor, and Jeff even suggested doing so to learn how he did things for people's own scenarios. I know I missed one thing in the Rebellion Scenario that required running around the island to find four otherwise unmarked tiles in a specific order to get a reward, and was tempted to open the editor to figure it out. This scenario... I'm not going to break it like that just for this. Besides, I'm skipping so much content on the Blitz Run that the completionism run will be pretty much a whole different scenario!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

Yes, players can open the stock scenarios in the scenario editor, and Jeff even suggested doing so to learn how he did things for people's own scenarios. I know I missed one thing in the Rebellion Scenario that required running around the island to find four otherwise unmarked tiles in a specific order to get a reward, and was tempted to open the editor to figure it out. This scenario... I'm not going to break it like that just for this. Besides, I'm skipping so much content on the Blitz Run that the completionism run will be pretty much a whole different scenario!

Fair enough. I shall look forward to it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I probably wouldn't like this scenario much. I'm an explorer-type who likes to see all of the content and I do not like to have to rush and skip things. It feels like a game that is punishing me for wanting to enjoy all of it, which is a backwards system.
Not sure if they changed the way "days" work in Blades of Avernum or maybe I'm just misremembering, but I don't remember having to actually skip that much when I did this scenario in BoA. I didn't intentionally run past dungeons or anything like that and still made the time limit.

But even though it didn't stop me from doing stuff, I still didn't like the time pressure feeling because it just always makes me feel like I'm forced to rush when I don't want to. Honestly, it kind of felt like Fallout 1's water chip thing - it wasn't that big of a problem to meet the deadline, but merely having it hanging over my head felt kind of miserable.

It's a weird contradiction: I don't want the game to include blatant padding or pointless required quests when there's something important going on; if we're supposed to be stopping a cataclysm or whatever, I want the game to act like it's important rather than requiring me to go do some rando's laundry or whatever. However, I still want the freedom to choose to go slow, confidently knowing that the Evil Overmind is going to politely wait around while I wander aimlessly or find someone's lost dog or whatever.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Not sure if they changed the way "days" work in Blades of Avernum or maybe I'm just misremembering, but I don't remember having to actually skip that much when I did this scenario in BoA. I didn't intentionally run past dungeons or anything like that and still made the time limit.

But even though it didn't stop me from doing stuff, I still didn't like the time pressure feeling because it just always makes me feel like I'm forced to rush when I don't want to. Honestly, it kind of felt like Fallout 1's water chip thing - it wasn't that big of a problem to meet the deadline, but merely having it hanging over my head felt kind of miserable.

It's a weird contradiction: I don't want the game to include blatant padding or pointless required quests when there's something important going on; if we're supposed to be stopping a cataclysm or whatever, I want the game to act like it's important rather than requiring me to go do some rando's laundry or whatever. However, I still want the freedom to choose to go slow, confidently knowing that the Evil Overmind is going to politely wait around while I wander aimlessly or find someone's lost dog or whatever.

I can understand this. I'm not the type that plays games over and over and I want to do everything in one go because, well, I'm not sure if I will ever return. Haste works in racing games and games that are tightly linear and designed for repetition and/or high score, but don't put a bunch of tributaries off of the beaten path and then threaten to punish me for natural curiousity.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It also help that, well... I haven't run into a single overworld random encounter yet. Which is weird, but a definite time saver.

I recorded the next update, and I made a mess of my plans. As mentioned by the Unicorns, Khoth wants something special to get past him. There are three in the scenario. I deliberately skipped one, intending to get it on the second go-around, and then wound up accidentally skipping the second, the one I wanted, because I didn't go the right way. Now I'm getting the third instead, which isn't an issue, just annoying because it means my larger planning is out the window. I should complete the scenario by... Day 12 at the latest, I think.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Chapter 3 - Undead, Poppies, Spiraling Crypt, and a Soul

"A quiet journey north."

"You know it won't last."

"C'mon, let's enjoy it while we can."

"I agree. Calmness is good."

"You know, I wonder, if we couldn't pass through the gate, how far out of our way would we have had to go?"

"I know what you mean. The Unicorns built that gate to control the easy way through, but there were those side passages before and after."

"And there's no way they would build a gate that could be walked around in less than an hour. Worst case, that entire region is a morass of bad tunnels and hostile life."

"Zo what you are zaying iz that helping the Unicorns waz the correct cjoize, and not just the moral one?"

"Your second-language skills are showing, but yes."

:smug:

"We were warned of the Lich. A creature of order, but not to be truzted."

"Maybe we can just go around?"

"A few undead. Where did this Lich get the bodies?"

"We're here, are we not? And other, failed attempts to get through."

"And this entire pull is named for the Vahnatai. You know, I'm surprised we haven't seen any evidence of them."

"If we encounter the Lich, bet you it's taken residence in a Vahnatai location."

"5."

"Deal."

"Witnessed."

"Ah..."

:catholic: "Tell me of Morag..."

"Morag is the calamity that will befall all who oppose her..."

"The pazzword is..."

I openly cheat here. I know the password to avoid getting into a fight with all these undead in the cave, but the only way to find it legitimately is to not go through the Unicorn Gate, and rather into the maze on the right and center of this map section.

"How did you know?"

"They were crafted to rezpond to a certain pass-phrase, so I mirrored their magics to get them to provide the pass in response to the challenge, az a verification check."

"I.... have no idea how that is supposed to work."

"That iz why I am Priest, and you are not."

"It also shouldn't work, and only worked becauze whomever made theze undead iz behind the times."

"Well, let's not press our luck, and keep going north. If we encounter Morag, then we can determine our course of action."

"No."

"Yeah, not a chance."

When passing through Morag's realm, be careful where you walk. Walking on tiles with rocks on them can cause you to lose time because of the effort needed to get across rather than around. This is a warning for the next environmental hazard.

Dungeons Skipped 7.5. There's Morag's Citadel, which is also a Town, the Wyrm Cave, and one other dungeon that is associated with Morag's sub-quest.

"Northwall, but the north-west seems more open than the north east."

"Yeah, and we've still managed to avoid any undead."

"Let uz not take our grazez lightly, and leave."

"I feel better already."

"Don't get too excited, I think we have another problem."

"Oh no."

"You have to be kidding me."

"Patches of this stuff are used alchemically, but this much? They have to have been growing here for centuries, if not more."

"There iz fewer to the south and east, if we stay to the walls, and avoid the patchez, we may cross with fewer difficultiez."

Because I skipped Morag's Citadel, I don't have the other Special Item to get through here safely. I am going to have to brute force my way through, and take my lumps. Now, I *could* open up the scenario editor and figure out a safe-ish path through here, but that would be ... excessive cheating. And not my normal amount of cheating, which is outside context knowledge, and... I actually haven't opened up the Character editor yet to restore people's HP/MP yet either. Huh.

Repeat for two days.

"Free!"

"I never want to have sweetness again in my life!"

"Quickfire. We muzt Quickfire the cavern at zome point."

"I do not have that power."

"Yet."

"Yez. Yet."

"I did some scouting up ahead. I hear water, so the currents should be helping to clear the air."

"We could use that."

"You failed to mention that the river's bend was erozion based."

"Yeah, but I only saw to the north, where the beach ended. Didn't go west."

"Anyone else finding it odd that most of the time our way north has also been to the west?"

"You're imagining things."

"Still, nice change of pace. No boat though."

"Thiz iz ominous."

"We muzt inveztigate, az the road endz here, lest we backtrack to Morag."

"Danger?"

"Hold on... it's faded. Ah, sealed for preservation.... guardians... light of the soul.... Hell if I know, but it seems to be some sort of official launching point for a funeral procession."

"Which means there might be a boat."

"Yeah, but the place was sealed up for preservation's sake, with the usual rounds of summoned creatures to defend it from interlopers."

"So fight our way through then."

"It iz what muzt be."

:science:

So... Dumbfounding. I hate this status more than Diseased. Each level of Dumbfounding reduces your maximum spell level by 1. So 1 level of this prevents you from casting Tier 7 spells, while seven levels of this prevents all spellcasting. The counter-spell, Restore Mind, is Priest 3, so you better keep your Priest(s) out of the line of fire. And what makes things worse is that these guys deal it with each hit, so you could lose 3 levels of spells with one attack. These guys are DANGEROUS.

"Ztack up!"

"More from the north!"

"And that iz that."

:catholic:

"My thankz. I could not thing."

"Looting time... armor..."

"NO!"

Oh god, teleporter traps. However, there is a way around them. You see, because teleporters move your entire party, if you're in combat mode, the game thinks it can't move the party... so it won't let you step on the tile. Which means you can explore in relative safety. Well, as safe as you can be here, as some tiles will summon new enemies.

"I see boats on the river, but the wall is blocked."

:science: "There are stringz of magic from above we can uze."

"Up we go then. One of theze roomz muzt have stairs."

"Thiz path iz blocked by another teleporter."

"So is this one."

"I think we can go up here."

"Oh dear..."

"Lights out!"

"Almost there!"

:catholic: "They can't come up, there's something stopping them."

"These lights appear to be... a key-code of some sort. We muzt find the lock."

:science: "There iz no way..."

"What?"

"We ztep on thiz one with the lights about us."

Look, the walkthrough makes this seem more difficult than it actually is, and I was shocked when I triggered the escape clause so quickly. I think there's a bad code here, but I'm going to explain it in detail in the completionist run. No sense in questioning my good fortune, just run for the exit. And avoid the enemies that spawn and the teleporter traps.

"Good willz, let uz back to the docks."

"Dammit, they were waiting for us!"

"Just the two, keep the Sliths back for support!"

"I see the boats!"

"It's dead, move!"

Dungeons Skipped: 8. Half of this one means I'm back up to round numbers!

"Safe!"

And me forgetting to screencap stuff.... mutter mutter mutter.

"I zee the river blocked to the west. We should go east, then north."

"Approved. Everyone, pole."

"Odd, I can feel the water, it iz slowing az we turn."

"Which means?"

"Lake ahead."

"Come to me."

"Who speaks?"

"I, Casser-Bok. Come to me. We have much to discuss, and this is not the best way."

"Objections?"

"Don't mess with anyone with the title of Bok. That's in the primer for Vahnatai culture."

"I agree."

"Definitely."

"I would say no, but I seem to be out-voted."

"They are not dangerous, just hiding things we zhould not zee."

"And here we are."

"What's that to the side?"

"That's... surprisingly polite. I'm thinking that we're not going to get through this with violence."

"Just a simple audience. I can live with that."

"Az leader and Priest, I muzt go forth."

"Do return alive. I would hate to have Zhinwell be the new leader for his Priesthood."

"I'm standing right here, you know."

"Oh don't worry, you had your chance. It'll be Tokka in charge next!"

"Don't curse me."

"Just go."

"You are here. Approach."

"I thank you for the invitation."

You come face to face with Casser-Bok. It is a beautiful, flawless blue crystal, about 18 inches long. Brief flashes of light and energy bounce back and forth inside it. You think you can see that it's vibrating slightly. It's voice sounds out inside your mind. You hear it's words as if they were your own thoughts. It's quite disconcerting. "Welcome, I am Casser-Bok."

"I greet you, as a guest. In the words of the Vahantai, I am Zaka-Ihrno, Priest of my people. I bow before your wisdom."

"Your effort to be familiar to me is to be respected. I have spent much time here, living in quiet contemplation."

"And what do you contemplate?"

"The living Vahnatai use my superior kind as storehouses of knowledge to aid them. To serve them."

"As a foreigner, I am know well versed in all aspects of your culture, but I am told that service as a Crystal Soul iz considered the highest honor."

"I believe that you have not encountered my Council then."

"No. My people are allies of allies of the Olgai."

"I know of them. Not mine. Not enemies either, but we digress. Once, I was a mighty warlord for the Vahnatai. Then I died, and was remade in this form."

"I have not met a Vahnatai warlord, though your existence seems necessary."

"I was a great warlord, and won many victories for my people. But, after my death and remaking, I was forced to sit and obey orders, instead of giving them. There were disagreements. Difficulties. That is why I am glad you are here."

"You speak of difficult disagreements? Were there the cause of your exile?"

A raspy chuckle saws through your mind. "Not all beings can always agree with all beings. That is why I decided to live apart from my people for a while, in order to rethink my place among them. That is why I wished your presence."

"And at your bidding, I am present."

"My agents, such as they are, have followed your progress through the caves with great interest. You have been useful to others, and know the value of discretion. I have a mission I wish to give to you. Complete it, and you will be rewarded."

"Speak this mission"

"There is an outpost of my people hidden to the north. I want to take a message to them. I wish you to tell them that I wish to return to my people. The outpost is hidden, but I will be able to help you locate it. If you carry this message, and the response back to me, I will give you the Crystal of Purity."

"What is this crystal of Purity?"

"It is a valuable artifact for magical research. You should be honored that I would ever think of giving you such a thing."

"Know this, my path will take me across the realm of the Dragon Khoth. I may be forced to give it up to secure passage."

"I am aware of the overgrown lizard. It is of no concern to me. Do you accept, or not?"

"I accept. I thank you for your generosity."

"I look forward to your return, though I know the path is long. I will not be impatient."

"By your leave."

"Thiz will be interezting."

"Why are the three of you liztening to the wall?"

"They were wondering if you were going to die horribly."

"No, nothing like that. Come, I will tell you what happened as things transpizre on our journey."

"Well?"

"Casser-Bok wishes to end their self-imposed exile from their people, and is offering an object that zould see uz past the Dragon in return."

"I don't like this, but we're not exatly swimming in options here."

"Just play the messenger, right? Maybe this object is something they don't value, and have no problem giving it to us then?"

"Any signs of madness?"

"No. Perhaps thiz is a way to avoid izolation madness."

"And after helping the Vahnatai in the Valley, more potentially friendly contact with non-Olgai tribes could help in the medium to long run."

"Then we appear to be in agreement then. Where are we going?"

"North."

Not a skipped dungeon, as we'll be back.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Slightly surprised you skipped Morog like that. I'll wait for the completionist run before saying more, but I vaguely remember it being a pretty important part of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

Slightly surprised you skipped Morog like that. I'll wait for the completionist run before saying more, but I vaguely remember it being a pretty important part of the run.

It was an accident! I swear! While Morog is important, she's just key to two of the three items to get through Khoth's place. I'm on the third because... ooops.