Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jade Star posted:

If you didn't know the series, I could see that being the 'trauma survivors bond and fall in love' moment that you see in movies. Knowing the series, man does Ada play Leon hard. Like, super hard.

Which actually makes me wonder about how much their relationship developed between games, cause by 4RE Leon puts a knife to her throat and totally isn't buying the 'working for the good guys' schtick. (I actually can't remember anything of RE 3...)
While Ada does not do anything after RE2, Leon is kind of busy. First, Adam Benford (the government official who eventually becomes the 44th POTUS in the RE universe) gives Leon his job as a government agent, and then comes Leon and Krauser's Bogus Journey seen in Darkside Chronicles. Oh, and Leon (despite not appearing in-game) is the one to tell Chris that Claire's in trouble in Code Veronica, after receiving Claire's message early on in that game. Leon essentially gets a mix of a retconned-in side story and offscreen stuff between RE2 and RE4.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did they try to make some of the CGI movies part of the canon?
Degeneration (the one with Leon and Claire) features the introduction of Tricell, setting up things for RE5. I don't think Damnation or Vendetta feature any real plot stuff that connect to the games outside of Damnation being loosely tied to RE6 (in the "you can see it if you squint real hard" sense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Degeneration is also where they got the idea that Claire is now working for a humanitarian NGO.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Okay, so I have some good news and I have some bad news. The good news is all of my footage to the end of the game is recorded! That's pretty dang good. All I have left to record is one special extra thing I've had planned since, uh, early March.

The bad news is I've caught a cold. A loving cold, in early summer. I don't think I'll be recording commentary like this. At least, not until I stop sounding like a bag of gravel.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Have Bert fill in for you.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jade Star posted:

Have Bert fill in for you.
I see nothing wrong with this plan.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
First, there was LPBot. Now say hello to LPBert!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

liquidypoo posted:

The bad news is I've caught a cold. A loving cold, in early summer.
See you in month. Seriously, those are the worst. When you get sick in summer, it somehow always seems to last forever.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Not only has Leon been wading around in a sewer, but a giant disgusting mutant horror has vomited all over his face and Leon never wiped it off.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Who knows how strong the poison in that vomit residue is? Maybe Ada got poisoned and had to cram a blue herb down her gullet while we weren't looking :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There’s an item box on the platform, she could have easily raided Leon’s stash. :v:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Sorry to hear about the cold, man. I've had one since Friday myself, and it suuuuuuuucks! Get well soon!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One day Leon is gonna mistime his jump and end up breaking an ankle

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

We're back! I'm impatient and wanted to get this out there. I mean, we're so close to the end; too close to have progress halted by an rear end in a top hat cold virus. At worst, I still sound a tiny bit hoarse and I had to silence a couple coughing fits. I'm basically back to normal though.

We poke around the labs for a bit, and get more closely acquainted with our new friend, the chemical flamethrower.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

We're back! I'm impatient and wanted to get this out there. I mean, we're so close to the end; too close to have progress halted by an rear end in a top hat cold virus. At worst, I still sound a tiny bit hoarse and I had to silence a couple coughing fits. I'm basically back to normal though.

We poke around the labs for a bit, and get more closely acquainted with our new friend, the chemical flamethrower.

Pretty sure Mr. X will follow you all the way to the room just before the safe room; I know he'll come into the room overgrown with vines--where you first encounter the ivies--but he won't follow you down the ladder under the hatch in the greenhouse area, which means that route is completely safe.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
GUAC are the four main bases of DNA/RNA. Cytosine, adenine, guanine, and thymine. Uracil instead of thymine for the RNA. I take it you never played Parasite Eve?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Ah, I missed the Parasite Eve train. I oughta get around to playing that at some point. Imagine if I'd played it and knew GUAC had nothing to do with guacamole :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh good, I'm not the only one who's apparently gung ho about clearing out the cafeteria zombies. :v:

jwalrus posted:

Pretty sure Mr. X will follow you all the way to the room just before the safe room; I know he'll come into the room overgrown with vines--where you first encounter the ivies--but he won't follow you down the ladder under the hatch in the greenhouse area, which means that route is completely safe.

I was wondering why you'd go that way instead of directly back towards the central hub, but I guess if you've got a bunch of ivies still waiting to devour you, you wouldn't have to deal with them or X.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, he physically can't fit through that hatch, it's pretty much a guaranteed escape route. Honestly, just taking off running and staying running works well enough as well, though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So why do you have so much less ammo than in Claire's run? Does run B or Leon just have fewer drops?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Slaan posted:

So why do you have so much less ammo than in Claire's run? Does run B or Leon just have fewer drops?

I don't think there's a static ammo count between Claire/Leon or A/B runs; going purely off of empirical evidence, I think the game dynamically adjusts how much ammo you get from each pick up depending on how well you're doing. The amount of damage you take also varies depending on how you do; sometimes a zombie bite will take you from green to yellow, or sometimes it will go straight to red, for example.

That said, liquidy might be a little more wasteful with shots and resources than I am, which could also explain the discrepancy. Claire also gets an SMG over Leon's Magnum and I feel like Claire can afford to blow a lot more SMG rounds than pistol/magnum rounds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't think there's a static ammo count between Claire/Leon or A/B runs; going purely off of empirical evidence, I think the game dynamically adjusts how much ammo you get from each pick up depending on how well you're doing.
This is a persistent rumor, but I am nearly entirely certain this isn't actually true, because I ended up with a frankly ludicrous amount of ammo during my first infinite rocketlauncher speedrun. Specifically, the ammo after the G fight in the Science Pit always comes in stacks of 25, it's the biggest individual ammo pickup in the game and it's always that size, even though I've never even so much as attempted to use my handgun during that.

quote:

That said, liquidy might be a little more wasteful with shots and resources than I am, which could also explain the discrepancy. Claire also gets an SMG over Leon's Magnum and I feel like Claire can afford to blow a lot more SMG rounds than pistol/magnum rounds.
It kind of equals out because the SMG has a hardcoded damage malus against zombies. Kill to ammo ratio for standard enemies with the Lightning Hawk is basically 1:1, but the SMG can put well more than a full mag into a G-Adult and still not end up killing them, if you get unlucky.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im pretty sure speedrunners have long debunked any rumours of variable ammo.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

It's time to finish this. We're just across the room from the G sample, so we're gonna grab it and hand it to our FBI friend, who is willing to smooch our vomit and poo encrusted face, Ada.

Also, it's strange. There's some blank video space at the end that I just can't seem to get rid of in editing. I wonder what that's about. I must be forgetting something.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 17, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

liquidypoo posted:

Also, it's strange. There's some blank video space at the end that I just can't seem to get rid of in editing. I wonder what that's about. I must be forgetting something.
An entire half minute of cilent empty video? That's pretty weird.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to be honest, I do like the redesign of Super X. It's a little more believable within the setup of the exploding facility (the original version has him completely buck naked and without the flaming arm) and still manages to keep Mr. X distinct from the other Tyrants, even if by simply keeping his pants on. Sometimes, a redesign doesn't have to be overly extravagant, a simple look works just as fine.

Now the question is: will we see any of the Ghost Survivors content?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I've got a cneaking suspicion that we might!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: Bonus Update: Exploring the Gas Station :siren:

We had ourselves a plan for scheduling with the rest of our updates, but these things tend to go awry as we all know. That thing or person that I'm definitely forgetting will have to wait for a week since the timing of stuff got a little jumbled up and I'm about to disappear for a week to go on vacation. In the meantime, have a bonus video I was originally going to wait to post after the last main update!

Special thanks go out to ChaosArgate, CJacobs, casnorf, Ambient Oatmeal, Faerie Fortune, Mysticblade, FeyerbrandX, Silver Falcon, Blastinus, Der Letzten Tanz, and FPzero! My dumb ideas would never come to fruition without my enabler friends!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was looking for the older stuff from the other games. There are lots of junk to find.
https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Umbrella_Noodles

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

(speaking backwards) BEEF JERKY... BEEF JERKY...

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The backwards texture was funny, but the stupid joke just made it better :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
meooooowww
YKREJ FEEB?
HABEEF SHJERKY
wwwwoooommm
BEEF JERKE-
Beeeef JER KEYYYY
wwwwoooommm
BEEF SHERKY
wwwoooOOOooommmmm
ABEEF SHMURFY
BEEF SHNERFIT
BEEF SHNERFKY
BEEF SHAREKEEF
BEEF SHNERKEY
BEEF SHVERKY
BEEF IERKY
HABEEF SHNERFKY

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You just made me think the phrase "Beef Shmorky" and I am not happy with you.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Cardiovorax posted:

You just made me think the phrase "Beef Shmorky" and I am not happy with you.

GroverPharmaceuticals was the second choice of name before they settled for Umbrella Corp.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

CJacobs posted:

meooooowww
YKREJ FEEB?
HABEEF SHJERKY
wwwwoooommm
BEEF JERKE-
Beeeef JER KEYYYY
wwwwoooommm
BEEF SHERKY
wwwoooOOOooommmmm
ABEEF SHMURFY
BEEF SHNERFIT
BEEF SHNERFKY
BEEF SHAREKEEF
BEEF SHNERKEY
BEEF SHVERKY
BEEF IERKY
HABEEF SHNERFKY
I'm so glad Bert got to participate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MY EXTRACTION POINT.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I wanted to see the Grim Cuber

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Goddamn, that's a really authentic looking tofu, too. They nailed the pressed texture on the outside and the crumbly-gelatinousness.

I could really go for a cold tofu dish right now.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for the fun videos, CJacobs.

You guys too, liquidy and Argate.

This was a heck of a thread to watch and read.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the handgun-wielding Tofu is the only one I haven't finished yet and I think that's mainly because of how loving annoying Ivy can be when you don't have a lot of defensive weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Seeing all those zombies on screen at once is just like the old days. About the only other difference between the versions was that spiders were no longer isolated to a few screens and would charge you in the police station.