Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off
That youtube video was amazing. You can kinda hear what you're saying if you turn the volume up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I was skeptical of your actions at first, but that story quickly became amazing.

Surely this is a reverse troll, SURELY YOU JEST. God that had me in tears.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
DROW WOMEN

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
That was great Renwick.

"You have no life!"

*Is married in a virtual online game*

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

"You just wasted the last three hours of my life on stupid head games!"

:golfclap:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
If you are too lazy to write it out as a short little story then don't post a chat log about it in it's place.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Judakel posted:

If you are too lazy to write it out as a short little story then don't post a chat log about it in it's place.
...So says the guy who's yet to tell any stories of his own. :crossarms:

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
You guys weren't kidding about second life's interface being a clunky piece of poo poo.

I created Lemmy the tard and after 10 minutes of flying around I gave up.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

coyo7e posted:

This is a worthless argument.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

coyo7e posted:

Read the Left4Dead thread. That is my story.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Judakel posted:

Read the Left4Dead thread. That is my story.

I would agree with you about the whole "don't post an entire chatlog thing", but the story was funny enough, no one said there had to be a limit on the length of the posted griefs, and it's a legitimate complaint to say that someone who hasn't contributed to the thread shouldn't be complaining about others contributions. ESPECIALLY when quite a few people enjoyed the contribution.

Also what the gently caress are you doing complaining in this thread, post a grief.

It's Hammer Time
In Red Faction: Guerilla, one of the online multiplayer modes is a game in which there are two teams each with a person who's sole goal in the game is to cause property damage. The rest of the team is around to protect that person, and kill the other destruction causer on the other team. Now, normally when you play this game mode if you end up being the destructor or devastator or whatever the game likes to refer to you as you should grab the destruction backpack (you can get different packs like a Rhino pack and a jetpack, the destruction pack just wrecks the gently caress out of buildings around you), a rocket launcher and go to town.

Here's where my story comes in. So I join one of these games, not expecting to actually get to be the destruction guy, and yet for some reason I get it. Well, not to let this opportunity go to waste I run up to a building and start hammering that poo poo. Suddenly my headset explodes in a violent fury of cursing as nearly everyone on my team starts shouting about how I need to loving get a better weapon and a better pack what the gently caress am I doing you loving human being. So, not to disappoint, I run off, grab a jetpack, and then jetboost up to the top of a building and start hammering the roof in. Again a hail of cursing. Finally I've had enough of this poo poo so I shout into my mic, "IT'S HAMMER TIME YOU FUCKERS. WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING WITH THOSE OTHER WEAPONS."

30 seconds later my entire team is standing on the roof with me, hammering that poo poo.

The other team didn't know what the gently caress when their destruction guy rhino'd through a buildings wall only to get slingshotted out by an entire team wielding sledgehammers.

We didn't win the round, but we did win the other team's respect when our entire team came flying through the air, swinging madly, and killed them in a haze of steel and blood.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

RotationSurgeon posted:

"IT'S HAMMER TIME YOU FUCKERS. WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING WITH THOSE OTHER WEAPONS."

This is not a grief, my friend.

This is the meek rallying behind the strength of a hero.

E2M6
Jul 17, 2007

by Peatpot

RotationSurgeon posted:

So I join one of these games, not expecting to actually get to be the destruction guy, and yet for some reason I get it. Well, not to let this opportunity go to waste I run up to a building and start hammering that poo poo. Suddenly my headset explodes in a violent fury of cursing as nearly everyone on my team starts shouting about how I need to loving get a better weapon and a better pack what the gently caress am I doing you loving human being. So, not to disappoint, I run off, grab a jetpack, and then jetboost up to the top of a building and start hammering the roof in. Again a hail of cursing. Finally I've had enough of this poo poo so I shout into my mic, "IT'S HAMMER TIME YOU FUCKERS. WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING WITH THOSE OTHER WEAPONS."

30 seconds later my entire team is standing on the roof with me, hammering that poo poo.

The other team didn't know what the gently caress when their destruction guy rhino'd through a buildings wall only to get slingshotted out by an entire team wielding sledgehammers.

We didn't win the round, but we did win the other team's respect when our entire team came flying through the air, swinging madly, and killed them in a haze of steel and blood.

This is a post.

You should all learn from this fine example.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FamDav posted:

This is not a grief, my friend.

This is the meek rallying behind the strength of a hero.

And this is God's own truth.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Haha, the Druid WoW griefing story a few pages ago reminds me of something I did way back when.

Alliance vs Horde? Well, sort of...

In Hellfire Peninsula, the first area of the Burning Crusade expansion, there is an elevated area that only level caps (at the time, 70) could get to. At this time, it had a raid boss intended for 25 people to take down, named Doom Lord Kazzak. Among several other gimmicks, he would self-heal for something in the range of 15-20% of his health if anyone in combat with him died. He had several AoE abilities in addition to hitting fairly hard, but was otherwise simple enough.

Now, in TBC Druids got a new ability called Cyclone. Long story short, whoever you nailed with it is made invulnerable but unable to act for six seconds. The AI for WoW's monsters is smart enough to switch targets when their target becomes invulnerable in this fashion for any reason. You can probably see where this is going by now.

A group of Alliance were going for the fellow while I happened to be in the area, faffing about on my Horde Druid. So I did what any self-respecting Horde would do: targeted Kazzak's target (their tank) and Cycloned him. Kazzak immediately proceeded to head for the pack of ranged Alliance and killed five or six people before the tank broke free. Healed himself from 30% or so back to full; the tank died a bit later from the confusion (and presumably some dead healers), and that was the end of that attempt. Meanwhile, I had run off until I got out of combat, and re-stealthed, and waited.

Did this two more attempts before they got wise and stood ready to kill me, along with the tank wearing a PvP trinket (to break control effects like Cyclone). All told, wasted an hour of their time and got angry in-game mails from several folks who had second accounts to make a Horde character and mail me with, threatening to petition and such. Wish I still had some of those mails :(

(edit) I figured it would be, but what the hell. :v:
|
V

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 26, 2009

Kaitian
Jan 24, 2006

nt

Kaitian fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 19, 2010

ScottP
Jul 22, 2008
Since it actually has some multiplayer again, here's a Men of War grief:

If you don't know much about it, Men of War is a RTT, so you get points from killing things or completing objectives to call in bigger things. The majority of battles online are "combat", which is basically the RTT equivalent of team deathmatch, and the vast majority of combat battles are tank wars, which means calling in the biggest tank, going into "direct control" mode (think CoH's direct fire done well) and taking potshots at the enemy's tanks on the other side of the map. Originally, you could easily gently caress these battles over by calling in AT infantry, but the devs patched in a tank-only mode, making the only infantry unit call-in tank crews.
In a word, tank crews suck. They have a pistol, a cool looking hat, and band-aids. Also, if it wasn't clear, MoW has an inventory for each unit. It's near impossible to manage in a multiplayer game, but it's still a nice touch, and keeping in with MoW's super realism, it also allows infantry to salvage wrecks for their guns. You probably know where I'm going with this.
After enough wrecks had been littered around each side's respective base, my tank crews would rip off any coaxial machine guns lying around, along with surprising amounts of dynamite. Men of War has realistic fog of war, so tanks can only see things outside of their turret and machine gun slots, which, coupled with a gigantic tank map, was absolutely perfect for my commando tank crews, who all sported multiple machine guns and several bandoleers worth of rounds.
I would send them in one at a time, gunning down dozens of hapless enemy crew Rambo-style, and throwing dynamite under every artillery tank unfortunate enough to be camping nearby. The enemy wouldn't even notice until they had lost control of their tanks, since they're usually busy sniping a tank tread through a house. Best of all, when a tank crewmember dies, the enemy only gains one point, whereas tanks are worth hundreds of points. Even after my crews were gloriously martyred for the Motherland, my allies rallied to my cause and rammed into the remaining Nazis. It's oddly satisfying to see people cursing in characters your computer doesn't recognize.

ScottP fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 26, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Wow, I finally reached the end of this glorious thread. Between the amazing Ultima Online stories, Second Life, the flare and intel bugs in TF2, the awesome Everquest stories, and a few others I'm forgetting, this is, by far the best thread in Games. Period.

All those UO and EQ stories kinda make me wish MMOs weren't so carebear-ish nowadays either, because I would totally subscribe to another one just to gently caress with people to witness savory nerdrage.

Keep the stories coming!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

RotationSurgeon posted:

I would agree with you about the whole "don't post an entire chatlog thing", but the story was funny enough, no one said there had to be a limit on the length of the posted griefs, and it's a legitimate complaint to say that someone who hasn't contributed to the thread shouldn't be complaining about others contributions. ESPECIALLY when quite a few people enjoyed the contribution.

What are you doing?

I don't need you to tell me whether something is a valid complaint or not. I was bothered by the chatlog being the bulk of the post and I told him. He can change the way he posts his stories or he can ignore the fact I was bothered by it and I can just ignore his posts and move on to the next one. That's it. No "valid" or "invalid", no "you need to do this before you can do that".

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
I can't decide whether that story or crashing weddings was the best use of the giant spider model.

YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE SNAKE

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
more HellMOO posting. we've seen a major influx of goons in the last few days, so hopefully I'm not the only one making chaos.

for those unfamiliar, it's a post-apocalyptic text game. sometimes i like to pretend to be a roleplayer. sometimes i like to pretend to be a medieval rogue. lately, however, i prefer to be a native american shaman.

some newbies think using this as a medium to cyber is a good idea. i do not:

http://pastebin.com/f50d621fb <- the old penis to rattlesnake trick

my shamaning is going well, so the admins have built me a teepee and even occasionally puppet my spirit animal, Sitting Bear. my first attempt at sending someone on a spirit quest:

Part 1: http://pastebin.org/3574 <- new disciple's holy vision (rather long)
Part 2: http://pastebin.org/3576 <- attempt to tame a bear
Part 3: http://pastebin.org/3577 <- the unfortunate flight home

join me and get in on this.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

asylum years posted:

more HellMOO posting. we've seen a major influx of goons in the last few days, so hopefully I'm not the only one making chaos.

for those unfamiliar, it's a post-apocalyptic text game. sometimes i like to pretend to be a roleplayer. sometimes i like to pretend to be a medieval rogue. lately, however, i prefer to be a native american shaman.

Oh my god :laugh:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

asylum years posted:

"This is a serious penis. Bigger than a Pringle's can. Bigger than a baby's arm, and the baby is making a fist. It is the Arrow of Life. It is Cupid's Torch. And best of all, it is inside of you."

I'm going to find somewhere in the game to put this, even if it kills me.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I have such a hard time fathoming people that seriously use Hellmoo for internet sex and poo poo.

not charlatan though charlatan is a god

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

YOURFRIEND posted:

I have such a hard time fathoming people that seriously use Hellmoo for internet sex and poo poo.

not charlatan though charlatan is a god

From what I've seen, in every single MMO style game I've played, if you can type to other people, there will be people eFucking each other.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's true, I used to annoy lesbians who would cyber in Runescape. It was probably two dudes anyway.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Code Jockey posted:

From what I've seen, in every single MMO style game I've played, if you can type to other people, there will be people eFucking each other.
I've seen cybersex rooms in iSketch.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Silver lining: No badly misspelled body parts. Sure, badly drawn, but it won't anger nearby grammar people.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

asylum years posted:

quote:

Charlatan buries a hand in her hair, groaning slightly, his eyes closing. Under his breath, he hums one of the ancient battle hymns of his people.

ahahahaha

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'll see that and raise you Where, an app on the Android phones. It's used for finding useful information around you - weather, places to eat, gas stations, etc. There's an option to chat with people in either your area or other areas.

Yep. :gonk:

It's a great, handy app but I stay the hell away from the chat section.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Code Jockey posted:

But Hellmoo is different from these games because it already HAS sex in it. It has provisions for threesomes and orgies and poo poo and straight up sex so I've always sort of assumed that the people that wanna do that stuff do it that way. Also that most/all of the people playing Hellmoo are irony-loving goons and the "sex" in the game means nothing to them because they see it for what it is, which is you know.....just a part of the game world.

It just weirds me out is all.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

woops wrong thread

kaschei fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 28, 2009

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
The Hellmoo poo poo is incredible. Is everything in the chatlogs a back and forth between two players? I'm having trouble understanding how text games work out, since they were kind of before my time.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
I suppose I'll get my griefing story off my chest.

I used to play this game called the Eternal City. It was a pay to play text-based RPG, and suffice to say, people took it a little too seriously. The game was boring as all hell except when you were causing trouble for people, so I would do little things to entertain myself while I waited for my long-distance (at the time) girlfriend to get on. One of these things I did was run a little call-in radio show which had anywhere from 20-60 listeners. One night we had a grief-a-thon, and I decided to pull out the stops.

Being a roman-themed MUD, the way you rested after training or hunting was to go to the baths and lay down in the lukewarm waters, and almost everyone went AFK while they were doing this, because it took 15-20 minutes to become fully rested. Well, if your character was prone in this game, the opposing player had a 90 point bonus to hit. Now, normally when you were attacked in the baths, a bunch of constables would spawn and beat the everloving poo poo out of your attacker. However, there was a skillset in this game called brawling which came with several grapples. And if you had someone in a grapple, you entered human shield mode, and your victim had a 50% chance of absorbing hits going to you.

For a period of 2 weeks, I would get on the radio show, go to the baths, and choke someone out who was AFK, while constables beat them unconscious, usually breaking multiple bones in the process. Eventually the game staff removed the human shield mechanic, and made the baths impossible to fight in. I also got several death threats on the game's forums!

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
So I spent last night with some friends on iSketch, joining British rooms and always drawing some combination of a duck and an American flag. It's just too easy. When people all left the room we would just change our names and join a new one. People would often leave as soon as the first duck was being drawn.

Then there's also pretending to be an extreme patriotic American in chat between rounds.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
Oh, another story from The Eternal City.

There are only a few legitimate clients to connect to the game from, and the way the server is built it's really cumbersome to use a typical MUD client and have the game be playable. This lead to the development of a mIRC hack which connected to the game, properly emulated all the colors and what have you, and included a pretty robust scripting system. This program was called TECracked and being caught using it was cause for huge punishment.

Enter Ripor. Ripor was an idiot, and for whatever reason was asking for a copy of TECracked to run the training courses to raise his stats. Being the warm-hearted citizen of the Eternal City I am, I offered to send him a script to do exactly that!

However, what he didn't know is that I had altered his program to think aloud (the global in-character chat channel) "I am retarded" again and again. Needless, to say, this lead to a ragequit. The fallout can be seen here:

http://www.skotos.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64690

If it's not clear, I'm Eddy.

TheAmbassador
Nov 21, 2005

by Ozma
I was DMing a while back from the D&D 3rd Edition Oriental Adventures book.

A good friend of mine decided he wanted to play a samurai. Now, this guy doesn't take much of anything seriously, and I knew that this was going to royally piss off another guy in our group who took his dungeons and dragons VERY seriously, so I went with it.

He ends up rolling up the Saki, a morbidly obese samurai who cannot use anything in his off hand because he is always holding food in it. We also had a tattooed monk, a priest, and a few other players, but its the priest who is most important, played by the samurai's brother, and the monk, who is the guy who is way too into this.

Early on, the group is sent to investigate a mysterious pagoda which has appeared overnight in the middle of the city. The samurai leads the group, being the leader of the group, and they find their way to the pagoda, which they promptly enter.

Inside, there is a trio of jade statues guarding a single door. As the group approaches, the statues begin to move, drawing weapons and charging the team. The blood mage casts a grease spell, causing two of the statues to slip and fall. The monk is getting ready to start smashing them, thanks to his high dex, when Saki decides to throw his weight around.

"I'm going to run to the end of the room and charge foward, leaping to the ground and sliding forward on my belly".

The monks player punches the table as Saki rolls his charge attack and leaps onto the grease, sliding into the remaining standing statue and knocking it down, onto the monk, injuring him pretty badly. Saki spents a partial action dipping his okonomiyaki in the grease, and the rest of the round sitting and eating it, while the priest and blood mage finish off the statues.

Now the Priest's player is laughing his rear end off, especially since the monks player is just seconds away from punching Saki's player in real life. Saki complains that he bumped his elbow when he hit the statues (2 hp damage), and the monk is one round away from bleeding to death. Saki orders the priest to heal his elbow first, leaving the monk to die.

First time I've ever seen someone ragequit in real life.

The other incident was me, but it wasn't intentional.

My DM was running a Forgotten Realms campaign and I had the Tome of Magic, from which he allowed me to roll a wild mage. Our party consisted of me, an anti-paladin, a thief named Seven (more on Seven in a moment), and a few normals. Our first mission was to infiltrate a castle and capture a certain wizard's spellbook. We get outside the castle and I cast Invisible and Silence: 15' radius. Silence went wild. Normally, this is just unpredictable, but the DM had overlooked in allowing me to roll a wild mage that this mission took place in a wild zone. Another roll of 100, and the wild effect went wild as well.

Fortunately, our DM was a crazy rear end in a top hat, and loved to throw out his plans if it means forcing one of us to grief all the others (later he assigned xp values to all our characters and gave us each a copy). So, a giant anvil, larger than the castle is summoned over the castle, falling on it and completely crushing it. Everyone in our group failed their saves and we all went temporarily deaf. The anvil unsummoned eventually, but everything was completely ruined.

More on Seven, he was accidentally killed by our party's necromancer, and the player rerolled a character, naming this one six. Big mistake in that group. Six died when a beholder we could have easily killed demanded a sacrifice, and the necromancer just decided the sacrifice was easier. Having a good sense of humor, the player rolled up Five, who died when my fireball went wild and made him fall in love with my character, bravely leaping into an acid trap my character almost fell into. He tried to name his new character something else, but it was too late, we all just called it Four and kept griefing him. We even had a tally mark for each character down to 1, and wondered if he'd keep it up into the negatives. We all eventually died when the antipaladin tried to kill me for the xp and shattered my rod of reversal (the only weapon I had to defend myself with), creating a wild effect that turned us all into stone in the middle of a Fly spell.

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I spent a good while yesterday getting my team mates stuck in teleporters in team fortress 2. If there's a slant you can stack teles so that the entrance is slightly above the exit, this causes whoever uses it to become stuck and they continuously teleport, going nowhere. Most newbies who play realize the only way they can get out is to type 'kill' in the console, however by the time they do this you've already racked up 30 or so teleports and have kept them stuck for a very long time, another good thing about this is if people start to get angry at you for not doing anything, you simply refer to your score which should be (due to the teleports) quite large. Probably the best thing about this however is the engineers taunt. He basically just points and laughs, combine this with some very very serious servers and you have unlimited fun! I'll get some screenshots up later if anyone is having problems setting up the teles to do this.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Echoes posted:

I'll get some screenshots up later if anyone is having problems setting up the teles to do this.

Please do because I have been dying to find a good engy grief beyond "build turrets in stupid places and be worthless"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Code Jockey posted:

Please do because I have been dying to find a good engy grief beyond "build turrets in stupid places and be worthless"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

And of course, teleporter placement to annoy your teammates is an endless cavalcade of hilarity.

• Locked thread