Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Linguica posted:

Loras was arrested because his squire - the guy who, you know, dresses him - claimed he was banging him, and as his sole proof, said he was able to describe the shape of one of his birthmarks.

I only remember that because it was pointed out in this thread. I wonder if anyone on the show realized that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Linguica posted:

Loras was arrested because his squire - the guy who, you know, dresses him - claimed he was banging him, and as his sole proof, said he was able to describe the shape of one of his birthmarks.
At which point Loras completely flipped his lid. An innocent man probably wouldn't have done that, or so the Faith's reasoning most likely ran.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I still hate how they had the Hound and Arya actually make it to the Eyrie. it was Bull poo poo!!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

a cop posted:

I still hate how they had the Hound and Arya actually make it to the Eyrie. it was Bull poo poo!!!!!

Sorry the niece of the current acting ruler of our lands? No we're not interested please run along.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Sorry the niece of the current acting ruler of our lands? No we're not interested please run along.

Like, the best case you can make for it is that The Hound decided she wouldn't be safe there since Lysa just died and ran away with her before any of the guards could make it down, but that's stretching it hard. No followup scene where Sansa learned that Arya was at the gate sucked too. If you're going to change poo poo at least follow what you change to its logical conclusion.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Linguica posted:

I guess it was a continuity error? Because he was his squire on season 3 (and that was the whole of Loras plot on season 3 lol), and next season he is the pimp master.

I thought squires were bound to their masters and only they could release them from their duties either by dismissing them or knighting them?

A hilarious continuity error which could have been easily avoided by either writing a good plot OR hiring 2 actors. They could have probably hired someone else to be the head of Littlefinger's house of gratuitous nudity...oh wait

Smart move on D&D's part. Whenever some dumb plot happens they can say it was the coffee guy's fault, whom they were just trying to help grow as a writer.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

No, the squire WAS the pimp viceroy at Littlefinger's whorehouse, while also moonlighting as Loras's squire (as a well-placed sleeper agent), which no one apparently noticed or cared to mention to Loras.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

Wait, I might be misremembering but I think we do see him fight in DwD. Izdar zo Loraq is ruling over Mereen after Daenerys escapes with Drogon and Barristan gathers his forces and kicks him out or some poo poo, and in the process he has to fight some of Izdar's guardians, which granted are actually pit fighters so they put up a poor fight, but we do get a glimpse of Barristan moping the ground with them.

Most of his badassness we hear about from other sources. He ended an entire rebellion before joining the kingsguard after cutting down a would be usurper and his personal guard, snuck into duskendale and rescued his king and whooped rear end at countless tourneys around the kingdom. You don't get to see it before he wastes the pit fighter but the dudes like a bad motherfucker. He didn't exactly go out like a bitch against the Harpies but it still felt like a wasted scene. It's like they were trying to double down on how dangerous the harpies were. First with Barry gettin' ganked and then with the fighting pits scene.

bobjr posted:

I only remember that because it was pointed out in this thread. I wonder if anyone on the show realized that.

Eh, Squires prepare your horse, clean your poo poo and help you strap on stuff like gorgets and chest pieces, they're not cleaning your nuts for ya after a days ride. Also he wasn't really his squire, he was helping out on the training ground.

The sansa/stoneheart thing might end up being pretty clunky the whole point of it in the book is part of Brienne's realisation and maturation that the world isn't black and white. imo The whole point of it is that she's bringing Jaime before lady stone heart and I think, eventually will kill lady stoneheart to ensure Jaime doesn't end up at the end of a rope. My guess is D&D have absolutely no loving clue what to do with Jaime after this season, and it's why they slowed his story down by sending him to Dorne.

In the books he's pretty much MIA and I would think if he gets away from stoneheart heading back to a kingdom where the King is still pre-pubescent, the dowager queen is facing a trial against the faith, a good chunk of his kingsguard cannot be trusted... at all, the hand of the king dead, Highgarden and the Lannisters poised to go to war, Iron islanders reaving up and down the westerlands and the reach, the Stormlands taken by an Army that has crossed the narrow sea, the North all but in open rebellion and the Dornish potentially uprising to the south. He'll have few allies, fewer advisors and a swath of unsolvable issues. He's going to be thurst into a leadership roll he can't hope to be successful in.

The other possibilities are he's hanged by the brotherhood, or he's sent off with the mission to secure Arya everyone's heard is in the north, or find Sansa who fled kingslanding.

Good luck unravelling that mess D&D.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 28, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The Brotherhood could also use Jaime to help them into the upcoming Frey wedding, which has been foreshadowed as being where the Brotherhood is going to make a big vengeance play against the Freys and Lannisters. That would be an interesting dilemma for Jaime because he actually seems pretty disturbed by the Red Wedding even though he spent much of his life hating the Starks, but the kind of slaughter the Brotherhood is probably going to be so indiscriminate that it won't be a purely triumphant moment where the Freys that actually perpetrated the Red Wedding get what's coming to them.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Sansa won't be Stoneheart. She's being set up as the Queen in the North. It's why they're going through the effort to bring back Rickon: so they can kill him and make Sansa the uncontested heir to Winterfell, because Jon won't accept it and Bran is a tree.

They might make Beric or Thoros to be a Stoneheart-esque figure, or maybe Blackfish (that would be cool), but not Sansa and definitely not Catelyn.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Are Edmure and the Blackfish coming back this season?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Beeez posted:

Are Edmure and the Blackfish coming back this season?

Yes.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

Sansa won't be Stoneheart. She's being set up as the Queen in the North. It's why they're going through the effort to bring back Rickon: so they can kill him and make Sansa the uncontested heir to Winterfell, because Jon won't accept it and Bran is a tree.

They might make Beric or Thoros to be a Stoneheart-esque figure, or maybe Blackfish (that would be cool), but not Sansa and definitely not Catelyn.

Blackfish vengeance sounds baller as gently caress.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
In that case, it really could be any number of people who enact the extinction of House Frey in the show. Since Thoros is back and there were several new members cast for an "outlaw band" you'd think the Brotherhood will indeed play a role, but it could be any number of people that actually lead them to do this.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ben Franklin loved the old women because they had tons of experience and would rock it in bed. Old Mel the baddest of pussy in westeros

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think Brienne's oath to Sansa this week pretty much confirms that Sansa will ask her to kill Jaime.

And if they're going to do a Red Wedding Mk II, I can't imagine they wouldn't try and involve Jaime somehow - perhaps trying to implicate him in the same way that Roose Bolton did.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

webmeister posted:

I think Brienne's oath to Sansa this week pretty much confirms that Sansa will ask her to kill Jaime.

And if they're going to do a Red Wedding Mk II, I can't imagine they wouldn't try and involve Jaime somehow - perhaps trying to implicate him in the same way that Roose Bolton did.

Except in show dimension this didn't happen. He said

"The Lannisters send their regards" instead of "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" because you couldn't expect showwatchers to remember the ironic echo of that one scene where Jaime told Roose to send Robb his regards since he would miss the wedding, resulting in show watchers going "Uh? So did Jaime plan all this?".

There is a reason why shows sometimes have to spell out what's going on, there is always the off chance that a TWD fan decided to check "that other popular show"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Hey, remember this?

More details about the original project idea e: Link is dead. Fortunately(?), colonel_korn empty quoted in the last spoiler thread so you can still read it:

quote:

WHERE ARE THE VIDEO REACTIONS TO JON SNOW’S DEATH?

The stabbing of Jon Snow was the climax of “Mother’s Mercy,” the Season 5 finale that was supposed to “break the internet” and announced as even more shocking than the famous Red Wedding episode from two years ago. Back then, when the RW was aired, every single media outlet seemed fascinated by the video reactions to the onscreen massacre, creating the impression that there were thousands and thousands of those, and that the episode was therefore a milestone event in the history of the medium of television. In a recent interview, Liam Cunningham, who plays Davos Seaworth in the TV show, said that when someone asks him why “Game of Thrones” deserves their attention, he whips out his phone and shows them the RW reactions, saying: “So that’s the reason you should watch the show, because if a piece of drama has that effect on you, it’s worth watching.” All of which indicates those reaction videos are widely seen, even by the crew members themselves, as the definitive proof of GOT’s success. Opposite to the Red Wedding, however, the stabbing of Jon Snow produced no recorded reaction. And no media outlet seems to pay any attention to the fact. What does it mean? Does it say something about the audience, or the show, or the media? What is it a sign of?

WHY ARE CRITICS MUCH HARSHER TOWARD OTHER TV SHOWS?

Last year, in its debut season, “True Detective” was a huge commercial and critical success for HBO. This year, however, its second season is almost universally seen as a letdown. It looks like no professional reviewer is satisfied with the new episodes, which are constantly and unfavorably compared to the objectively superior previous season. Not so few among reviews are—and justly so, in the opinion of this author—extremely harsh on TD’s second season, to the point where no detail that went wrong is overlooked, whether it’s writing or directing or acting. The first episode of the season was especially derided by the critics, with one of them finding no less than 31 most ridiculous moments in it. Now compare that to the way professional critics 1) religiously avoid any comparison not only between different seasons of GOT but also between the show and its source material, 2) by and large, ignore those countless more or less significant issues ASOIAF fans legitimately have with GOT. To say that the contrast between the approaches to these two HBO shows is stark would be a clear understatement. Where does that contrast come from? Why does it seem that GOT is held to different, much lower standards than other drama shows of its era?

WHAT MADE GOT SO SPECIAL FOR HBO RIGHT FROM THE VERY START?

In essence, the pilot of GOT was a failure so big it eventually had to be reshot almost entirely. And yet, the show was green-lighted nevertheless, which kind of made the whole pilot deal irrelevant. Also, it’s a largely unknown fact that each year, ahead of the GOT premiere, HBO’s regional headquarter for the Balkans invites TV critics from all over the region and hosts them for two days, organizing one luxury event after another (it’s very probable that HBO undertakes identical or similar promotions in other parts of the world, because it’s not very likely their Balkans HQ does this on its own, but I have no confirmation at this point). They do that for no other show. Nor does any other TV company do that for its products. All of which suggests that GOT is some sort of a special case for HBO, and that it was like that from Day 1, but the nature of their investment isn’t of the most usual or most expected kind and includes some very unorthodox actions. Why is it so? Why does HBO makes so much effort in regards to GOT and only GOT?

WHAT IS SO “UNFILMABLE” IN MARTIN’S SAGA?

Because of George R. R. Martin’s famous initial desire to make his “A Song of Ice and Fire” book series impossible for movie adaptations, many ASOIAF parts and aspects that didn’t find its way into the show are believed to be just that: untranslatable to the screen. Are they really, however? What is it about the House of the Undying or Weasel Soup or Ned’s dream, or prophecies in general or Ramsay’s early imprisonment in Winterfell, that makes their omissions from the show so understandable? Would GOT be better off if it included all those sequences instead of show inventions that eventually replaced them?

IS THE ACTING IN THE SHOW REALLY AS GOOD AS OFTEN BELIEVED?

The cast of GOT is usually praised as one of the best on TV. Even those who frequently complain about the show made a habit of excluding the actors from the list of their gripes. “The character is written poorly, but the actor nailed the part” has to be one of the opinions more often expressed even on sites and threads intended for the critique of the show, though the logic of that stance is pretty dubious (an actor’s job is to play the part as it is written, and if it’s written badly, the actor is not really in a position to nail the role in a good way). All this may be strangely important because of the multiple admissions by David Benioff and Dan Weiss that some of the characters and their arcs were highly influenced by, or even completely altered because of, the actors that played them. So, how good the acting in GOT actually is? Does it warrant such a big adoration it receives?

WHY WEREN’T ACTORS ADVISED TO READ THE SOURCE MATERIAL?

Even early on, while the show at least resembled the books it was trying to adapt, the showrunners weren’t so eager to encourage the actors to read ASOIAF. On the contrary, from the actors themselves we found out they were often subtly advised against reading the novels. The most common explanation for this is a fairly ridiculous one: supposedly, an actor shouldn’t know too much ahead. It was a possibly unprecedented situation that knowing something about the character was deemed undesirable for an actor. And it stood in contrast not only to the basic logic but also to the common wisdom of the industry itself, packed with adaptations and biopics about well-known historical figures. Let’s reach to “True Detective” once more: its first season depicts events from three different timelines, and the main characters, played by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, go through thorough mental and physical transitions between each of the stages; and yet, their performances hardly suffered because of the fact they knew what’s going to happen with the characters all the way; quite the opposite, their work obviously benefited from the said knowledge. So, why was the obvious logical fallacy of the claim that knowing “too much ahead” can hurt performances in GOT tolerated through and through? Why was the source material seen as some kind of a burden from the get-go?

And so on.

These and other questions are not only unanswered: they’re unasked. That can change, because I intend to explore all of them in the documentary about the phenomenon that is GOT.

In order to do that properly, me and my modest but capable crew should face certain individuals with these questions in the most direct way possible: by asking them in front of a camera. Those individuals should include media professionals, TV critics, literary critics, veterans of the television and movie industry, some of the key personnel behind both HBO and GOT, and last but not least, representatives of the fandom gathered around ASOIAF and GOT. Most of them can be approached on one of those three locations: New York (media industry), Los Angeles (film and TV industry), and Belfast (the show’s main base). Their answers, presented comparatively, would hopefully form the core of a documentary of around 90 minutes, that would then be posted on YouTube and other unrestricted platforms, from which it’s going to be easily available to anyone puzzled by, or generally interested in, the critical praise for GOT.

In short, the idea is to create a movie that can serve as the ultimate answer to what myself and many other ASOIAF fans often call the show apologia.

Since this isn’t going to be a commercial endeavor, but a passion project that won’t return any money at all, funding it is an obstacle. From what I’ve seen around the web, the ASOIAF fandom, with its passion and interconnection, can help me overcome this obstacle.

Along with the “Pawn to Player” site, I plan to organize an online fundraising on one of the sites designed exactly for that purpose. The costs of the entire project are estimated at a few tens of thousands of dollars (the more precise calculation will follow soon). While it’s ridiculously less than the resources the other side has at their disposal (more than 100 million dollars per year), the sum is still not a joke. Hopefully, it can be reached without causing trouble for anyone.

We plan to ask for donations of 5 and 10 US dollars. No bigger individual donations should be necessary, because the entire fundraising would rely much more on large number of donators. Based on the number of visitors our GOT reviews attracted throughout Season 5, and also on the general mood among genuine ASOIAF admirers, it’s not unrealistic to expect that thousands of fans would welcome such a documentary. Ideally, several thousands among them would be capable and willing to make the documentary possible, by donating 5 or 10 US dollars to it.

The goal of this endeavor is, then, to include as many people as possible. If you are generally interested in ASOIAF/GOT, if you find our views on the show legitimate and worthy of exploring in the video format that dominates this epoch, and you can donate and/or find others that can (the latter would be no less important than the former), you are exactly the person we’d like to ask for help.

We’re preparing a campaign of sorts, with posters and videos, that would help explain our intentions further and make the “recruiting” of other enthusiasts somewhat easier. All that material, with the precise budget and other details that we’ll reveal in the coming days, should be instrumental in fulfilling the most desirable schedule: Summer for raising the resources, early Autumn for the shooting, late Autumn for post-production, and the documentary itself before the New Year, right in time to inspire some new discussions and stir some fresh debates ahead of the next GOT season.

Well, contrary to what I thought had happened (the director got cold feet and abandoned the project), he ended up making it over the last year and it comes out on May 3rd. Here's the trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMujSdkOX5w

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 28, 2016

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Maybe I am thick but what's the "#GOTO" supposed to stand for?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
drat MSM keeping down GoT critics! #Trump2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Item Getter posted:

Gonads Only Touched Once?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

savinhill posted:

Gonads Only Touched Once?

That almost keeps it from being gay

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I would argue that a single delicate dalliance of testicles is more gay than smashing that poo poo together over and over

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

This is a fair point

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sansa won't be Stoneheart. She's being set up as the Queen in the North. It's why they're going through the effort to bring back Rickon:

Wait. what? Where Rickon at?!!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Item Getter posted:

It's a programming instruction that follows a boolean logic condition, eg

IF show_sucks = TRUE;
#GOTO SomethingAwfulSpoilerThread
POST DaveHillMeme.txt

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

kcroy posted:

Wait. what? Where Rickon at?!!

Spoilers say he's going to get Ramsayed, so all those nutcracking theories will be proven false.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Hey, remember this?

This is kind of interesting in that 10% of it is interesting and 90% of it is a weird mix of hyperbole and faulty logic.

The stuff about top reviewers being given vacations isn't surprising but it's just typical Hollywood bullshit that everyone should see through just like Emilia Clarke getting nominated for an Emmy.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hey, remember this?

More details about the original project idea e: Link is dead. Fortunately(?), colonel_korn empty quoted in the last spoiler thread so you can still read it:

Well, contrary to what I thought had happened (the director got cold feet and abandoned the project), he ended up making it over the last year and it comes out on May 3rd. Here's the trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMujSdkOX5w

Lol at the loving westeros.org sperg being the only one who didn't dress well/make themselves presentable for a media appearance

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Love Crime posted:

This is kind of interesting in that 10% of it is interesting and 90% of it is a weird mix of hyperbole and faulty logic.

I didn't know it was made by Preston Jacobs?!?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I liked the part where the director put himself as an interviewee and called himself an "ASOIAF Purist"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat killing off Rickon would be dumb as hell, I'm hoping the direction the books are going will mean that at the end of the series, Rickon will be a messed up King of the North of old, basically an illiterate, psychopathic Wildling

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

Except in show dimension this didn't happen. He said

"The Lannisters send their regards" instead of "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" because you couldn't expect showwatchers to remember the ironic echo of that one scene where Jaime told Roose to send Robb his regards since he would miss the wedding, resulting in show watchers going "Uh? So did Jaime plan all this?".

There is a reason why shows sometimes have to spell out what's going on, there is always the off chance that a TWD fan decided to check "that other popular show"

the lannisters send their regards is a better sounding line when spoken.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I sincerely hope that Rickon will be dealt with even swifter than Dr. Bashir. Just move on and get to the next garbage monologue for Lena or Emelia.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Rickon dying is kinda necessary for Sansa to take power all for herself, so I'm all for it. Altering the line of succession would be, of course, preferable, but I don't really see that happening in the current political climate of the North.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Could be heading into some parallel Sansa/Robin territory where Sansa poisons Rickon or exploits his walnut crushing autism for her own ends.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
http://internetremembers.com/

quote:

Game of Thrones has become one of the most widely discussed subjects in the world, with millions of people from all over the planet participating in online arguments about the show. A significant number of those participants are highly critical of Game of Thrones – which is noteworthy in itself, as TV shows aren’t usually watched nor followed by people who dislike them

Someone should introduce these guys to the TV IV

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
You don't even need to go that far, it's like they've never heard of Dexter or True Blood. I refuse to believe there were anything but hatewatchers for its last 3-4 seasons.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

kater posted:

I sincerely hope that Rickon will be dealt with even swifter than Dr. Bashir. Just move on and get to the next garbage monologue for Lena or Emelia.

They've had the decency not to make us watch whatever insignificant thing is going on with him, though. He's important but it's really hard to see what the end game is for him other than just being dragged out for the series finale.

It would be a good move to just make him the Rose and Bernard of GoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Mike N Eich posted:

I actually think it fits this season pretty well, with Jon resurrected, it would bring ambiguity into the whole process. Is Jon trustworthy now, now that we see a totally mad bloodthirsty Stoneheart? Should we let dead stay dead? Etc.

For the books I think it would be really effective if resurrected Jon acted exactly the same, but we didn't get any more POV chapters for him. Never really know what's going on in that undead head of his.

• Locked thread