Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm in my late 20s and in Portland. How do I meet people and make friends?

I tried a cribbage tournament this week, mostly Amazonians who cant make eye contact and nerds trying to cheat with lame card tricks and posturing.

Going back to just sitting at the bar making friends with the local drunks. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The mountain looks AWESOME today, in case anyone cares.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

Have kids then you'll be forced to interact with other parents or nannies.

you'll also start to hate any of your friends who don't have kids

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Any parent worth his salt knows to encourage friendships with other children whose parents aren’t absolute social dumpster fires.

The fortunate thing is that, usually, if the parents are awful then their kids are too.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Sorry to hear about the budget cuts at the NWS

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Buncha cars in the ditches on 101 headed out to Aberdeen. It was pretty heavy snow almost up to Tacoma.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

McGlockenshire posted:

Sorry to hear about the budget cuts at the NWS

yeah it's almost 3:30 and I haven't seen snow at work since before noon

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
http://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-man-says-he-must-move-because-of-high-property-taxes

I dunno if I should feel sad about this guy or send him to the guillotine. On one hand, his work is in non-profit stuff. On the other hand, :qq:ing about a $1k raise in property taxes seeeeems like a bit of a stretch.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

seiferguy posted:

http://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-man-says-he-must-move-because-of-high-property-taxes

I dunno if I should feel sad about this guy or send him to the guillotine. On one hand, his work is in non-profit stuff. On the other hand, :qq:ing about a $1k raise in property taxes seeeeems like a bit of a stretch.

It's almost like his rent went up $100 a month, this never happens!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Thoughts and prayers for the old man who is forced to sell his hundreds of thousands in assets and retire to warm sunny California.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Guys, I have truly the saddest story in Seattle: imagine if you sold your humble little family home, and used that money to buy five or so condos in Seattle with "insane views." And then imagine that a developer wanted to build a six-story building (part of which would be used to house poor people) that would block those aforementioned "insane views." Can you imagine what kind of tyrannical city council would let a developer get away with that?!

Apparently, for once, it's Seattle's.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

Guys, I have truly the saddest story in Seattle: imagine if you sold your humble little family home, and used that money to buy five or so condos in Seattle with "insane views." And then imagine that a developer wanted to build a six-story building (part of which would be used to house poor people) that would block those aforementioned "insane views." Can you imagine what kind of tyrannical city council would let a developer get away with that?!

The view in those pictures isn't even "insane".

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I do enjoy how she submitted the original Redfin listing as evidence of the insanity contained in the original, unmolested views.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Thanatosian posted:

Real estate speculator hosed by other real estate speculators, in my neighborhood? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah but she’s just a small time independent speculator! A regular citizen like you and me!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a building right near where I live that got a height request blocked because it would have interfered with the view of a retirement home and the residents, being retired, had nothing better to do than visit every single meeting on the topic. I think the developer decided to cut their losses rather than build something smaller so I don't even know what's happening to the land now.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

seiferguy posted:

My property taxes went up $500, I don't think they've gone up a collective $500 in the whole time I've lived here. Sucks a butt.

Otoh we had some fun snow!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The only way that story could be better would be if they were all AirBNB units.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Wait, he makes over 50k a year, owns property right off Pine Street, and is forced to move to California? Couldn't he just sell his property, make a boatload of money, and move to like Everett or something? Or into a condo in Seattle because that property has got to be worth an absurd amount of cash?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

The only way that story could be better would be if they were all AirBNB units.

They almost certainly are all AirBNB units.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Peachfart posted:

Wait, he makes over 50k a year, owns property right off Pine Street, and is forced to move to California? Couldn't he just sell his property, make a boatload of money, and move to like Everett or something? Or into a condo in Seattle because that property has got to be worth an absurd amount of cash?

Yes, he could.

I mean, we shouldn’t be ok with the idea that folks can be forced out of their homes and neighborhoods but it’s not so bad that he has to leave the state.

I guess what I’m really saying here is that we need a loving income tax.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
it's almost as if there isn't a firewall for gentrification 🤔🤔🤔

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a building right near where I live that got a height request blocked because it would have interfered with the view of a retirement home and the residents, being retired, had nothing better to do than visit every single meeting on the topic. I think the developer decided to cut their losses rather than build something smaller so I don't even know what's happening to the land now.

In Bellevue some city hall workers tried to block a zoning increase around the new light rail station because it might let a building block the view of Mount Rainier from city hall. The city council voted that poo poo down, but I’m sure they’ll make the permit process hell for anybody who tries to build there.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Buying into a neighborhood is not a ironclad agreement between you and the city that things will never change. Frankly rich white liberals whining about needed housing being built are showing thier inner Trump.

gently caress anyone who refuses to allow thier 50s suburb housing development to be changed to accommodate more people I.e. poors and browns. The city should be radically upzoned to produce enough housing for all who want to live here.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Amen. Mandatory single family homes on big lots makes for a gated community, just with the gates being laws instead of physical barriers.

Lol at all the times I've heard something like, "Oh those laws aren't intended to keep all the poors out. That's totally just a side effect of preserving neighborhood character, which is completely different!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Property taxes are insanely regressive and need to loving go though, same with sales tax. There's no way we'll ever pass an income tax without getting rid of at least one of those.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Property taxes are insanely regressive and need to loving go though, same with sales tax. There's no way we'll ever pass an income tax without getting rid of at least one of those.

That seems unlikely considering most other states tax property and sales in addition to income. We don’t even have the highest sales and property tax in the country. Adding an income tax wouldn’t be much if at all worse than most other states yet I’m certain people here would never have it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

DrNutt posted:

gently caress that, if a human being is going to claim to own a piece of land, they can pay society for the privilege.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

DrNutt posted:

Property taxes seem more flat than regressive to me, and at least in theory you could make them progressive. Also relying too much on income taxes means that your tax receipts get very 'swingy' (see: California).

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cicero posted:

Property taxes seem more flat than regressive to me, and at least in theory you could make them progressive. Also relying too much on income taxes means that your tax receipts get very 'swingy' (see: California).

Property taxes are a big driver in gentrification, because long time residents don't have a say in how the housing markets roll out one way or another, and when historically low income residents like, say, the Black multigenerational residents of Central District have to deal with higher annual costs of living in an area whose housing prices skyrocket, they are forced to leave. Progressive income taxes would not have that effect.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Property taxes are a big driver in gentrification, because long time residents don't have a say in how the housing markets roll out one way or another, and when historically low income residents like, say, the Black multigenerational residents of Central District have to deal with higher annual costs of living in an area whose housing prices skyrocket, they are forced to leave. Progressive income taxes would not have that effect.
People sitting on million+ dollar houses they can't afford are part of what's driving the cost of living up. If we tore those down and built to scale with demand we'd see property prices stabilize.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

twodot posted:

People sitting on million+ dollar houses they can't afford are part of what's driving the cost of living up. If we tore those down and built to scale with demand we'd see property prices stabilize.

One of the side effects of rising housing prices and the correlated increase in property taxes is that low income residents of those million dollar houses often don't have a million dollars in equity. Reverse mortgages and similar predatory lending practices tend to significantly undercut whatever cash payout they have waiting for them through selling their homes.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

twodot posted:

I’d love to see stats on the number of low income homeowners sitting on million dollar assets. I’d also love to see how much these people realistically make on these sales. I get lots of letters from developers and I’ve had them estimate really lowball figures compared to Zillow and similar sales in my area.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

One of the side effects of rising housing prices and the correlated increase in property taxes is that low income residents of those million dollar houses often don't have a million dollars in equity. Reverse mortgages and similar predatory lending practices tend to significantly undercut whatever cash payout they have waiting for them through selling their homes.
So these multi-generational residents are sitting on 70 year mortgages that transfer through inheritance? It doesn't even matter. If you live in a million+ dollar house and you can't afford property taxes, you need to move. It turns out it's easy to make bad, leveraged investments in real estate, and that sucks, but eliminating property taxes is not a way to save people from their bad choices.

ElCondemn posted:

I’d love to see stats on the number of low income homeowners sitting on million dollar assets. I’d also love to see how much these people realistically make on these sales. I get lots of letters from developers and I’ve had them estimate really lowball figures compared to Zillow and similar sales in my area.
I don't know what the stats are, just that every person I see complaining about property taxes has a house/building of 5 condos worth at least a million dollars.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

twodot posted:

So these multi-generational residents are sitting on 70 year mortgages that transfer through inheritance? It doesn't even matter. If you live in a million+ dollar house and you can't afford property taxes, you need to move. It turns out it's easy to make bad, leveraged investments in real estate, and that sucks, but eliminating property taxes is not a way to save people from their bad choices.

I don't know what the stats are, just that every person I see complaining about property taxes has a house/building of 5 condos worth at least a million dollars.

If it's more important to you that 3 tech yuppies get to move into 3 townhouses on the same lot than, say, 1 Black family remains in CD where they have been for several generations, I guess that makes sense.

Personally, I do not like the idea that markets or finances should get to dictate who gets to live where, but I guess those low income people simply don't deserve what they have, now do they.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

If it's more important to you that 3 tech yuppies get to move into 3 townhouses on the same lot than, say, 1 Black family remains in CD where they have been for several generations, I guess that makes sense.

Personally, I do not like the idea that markets or finances should get to dictate who gets to live where, but I guess those low income people simply don't deserve what they have, now do they.
Hey, if we're talking nationalize the housing industry, I'm on board, but property owners decided to engage in capitalism, and now their assets need to be redistributed either way. My first priority is people who don't have houses, people whose houses are worth too much are pretty low on list.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Also elderly low income residents often have a crapload of deferred maintenance going on that makes it hard to sell for a decent price. One also wonders why they should be forced to sell the only investment they have in a fire sale to keep living so rich people can take over the neighborhood. Then you get into the effect of generational wealth where these people won't have anything to pass on to thier kids like middle class and wealthy people do.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

twodot posted:

Hey, if we're talking nationalize the housing industry, I'm on board, but property owners decided to engage in capitalism, and now their assets need to be redistributed either way. My first priority is people who don't have houses, people whose houses are worth too much are pretty low on list.

If you care about people who don't have houses, don't you think progressive income taxes would have equal or greater power to fund public housing than property taxes would, while avoiding the problem of displacement?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

If you care about people who don't have houses, don't you think progressive income taxes would have equal or greater power to fund public housing than property taxes would, while avoiding the problem of displacement?
We should both have progressive income taxes and tax land holders because exclusive rights to land is a thing they should pay society for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElCondemn posted:

That seems unlikely considering most other states tax property and sales in addition to income. We don’t even have the highest sales and property tax in the country. Adding an income tax wouldn’t be much if at all worse than most other states yet I’m certain people here would never have it.

twodot posted:

gently caress that, if a human being is going to claim to own a piece of land, they can pay society for the privilege.

lmao okay have fun tilting at windmills then. An income tax will never pass without some concessions. Frankly it is unreasonable to jack up someone's home prices because all of a sudden rich white people want to move to their neighborhoods, which is how property taxes work right now.

Unless you are willing to completely nationalize housing how the gently caress do you make rents affordable? We didn't buy a house because we wanted to, we bought a house because in our area it's cheaper than renting at the insane prices scumlords are demanding.