Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

GD_American posted:

There’s a trade off. If you’re really after a bigger grade job, then hiring in as a GS-5 is bad b/c you can only jump two grades within that agency. But, if you have bills to pay, and need to get a door in the federal system, there’s your choice.

It happened to me. Thankfully the job was a GS5-GS8, jumping a grade every year.

Nah, I'm shooting for GS7 spots, GS9 as the biggest absolute stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I could have sworn I read in here that using the post 9/11 GI bill to take a class during a summer semester wasn’t an efficient use of the benefit? I’m looking to get calculus done over the summer since I’m bad at math and it would be easier to get done outside of a regular semester and it would make scheduling future classes a lot easier to just get it done. Anyone have any advice or am I just misremembering things?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I needed a specific course for my degree and did it at a school that did, uh, what do you call when it’s not semesters? Terms? What more and more private schools are doing. Where it’s one class at a time, but still full-time. It was six weeks or so iirc.

I’m not sure how a 3 credit course translates to full-time when it’s condensed, but I want to say you still get full benefits. So as long as you’re getting the weekly credit hours for full-time it would be the same?

Just one class would let you focus on math only, but summer and intersession courses are generally highly accelerated with no room to get behind and you might be better off doing it through a regular semester. If it was some liberal art gen ed classes then I’d say go hog wild.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 17, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cenen posted:

I could have sworn I read in here that using the post 9/11 GI bill to take a class during a summer semester wasn’t an efficient use of the benefit? I’m looking to get calculus done over the summer since I’m bad at math and it would be easier to get done outside of a regular semester and it would make scheduling future classes a lot easier to just get it done. Anyone have any advice or am I just misremembering things?

It’s not efficient if full time status for the summer is one class versus 2 or 4 for a regular academic session.

A benefit day is used whether you’re full time or half time.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I needed a specific course for my degree and did it at a school that did, uh, what do you call when it’s not semesters? Terms?

Quarters?

Also I really needed spring break last week to catch up on some coursework, not have to be at my internship/placement, and get some extra sleep. Ready to start the back third of the semester

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

holocaust bloopers posted:

It’s not efficient if full time status for the summer is one class versus 2 or 4 for a regular academic session.

It's true, but you can also think of it as getting your degree sooner, thus increasing your earning power quicker. I am doing an average MBA program, but my terms are 9 weeks, so for me it makes sense to be at full class load all the time. For a regular program, not taking summer classes would mean losing out on BAH while saving on tuition. But the benefits will run out eventually, so I see it as a means to an end.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That’s the main takeaway. It’s solely time based, not content.

Meshka posted:

It's true, but you can also think of it as getting your degree sooner, thus increasing your earning power quicker. I am doing an average MBA program, but my terms are 9 weeks, so for me it makes sense to be at full class load all the time. For a regular program, not taking summer classes would mean losing out on BAH while saving on tuition. But the benefits will run out eventually, so I see it as a means to an end.

Good points. If it’s just a 3 unit class and money isn’t tight I’d almost say just pay out of pocket and cruise through. I also want to tell folks not to use the GI bill on junior college but I know the BAH can be too good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just paid out of pocket for my government class during the summer. 200 bucks is better than not having enough GI Bill later.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks for the answers! I’ve been thinking about paying out of pocket, family said they would help since I did well last semester. They used to offer calculus online but they aren’t doing it this summer I or II and my advisor didn’t know if they would again in the future. If I knew for sure I’d probably just wait but I need calc at some point, fortunately just one class.

Overall goal is to hopefully have VocRehab pay for grad school which a couple of people from the VSO are doing and a benefits counselor from the VA said is possible but not a guarantee.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, keep in mind that taking calculus during the summer means you might be covering more material each day than normal, and you'll have to be back the next day to learn more stuff. It's not as bad as Calculus 2, because the course is mostly just "how does derivatives work" and then you learn some integrals at the end, but if you get stuck on something, you won't have much time to catch back up.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
It's a bad idea if your problem is grasping the concepts, it's a lot less of a bad idea if your problem is retaining them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

if you are bad at math in any capacity DO loving NOT do it online

or a condensed/accelerated course unless you want to hire tutors or live at the tutor center on campus (not sure if those are open in summer?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

or a condensed/accelerated course unless you want to hire tutors or live at the tutor center on campus (not sure if those are open in summer?

Might just be a me thing then, I've always been fine with keeping pace so long as the retention isn't a problem. 10 week in-person stacked with an online-only nutrition course I can phone in for an easy A, should help me skip having to tack on an extra semester.

Now the really lovely part is staring down the barrel of re-taking A&P I/II, Micro, and Gen Chem I then Gen Chem II, Orgo I, and Biochem before I can really seriously think of applying to PA programs. Ooorrr deal with graduating and finding either a post-grad nursing program or a second bachelor's.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I’m doin it. Ima do it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

I’m doin it. Ima do it.

You can do it with your good puppers avatar

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The trick for chemistry is finding a professor that grades on a curve and just be the smartest person in class. I got a 100 in gen chem 1.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

If you're doing calc over the summer be prepared to spend hours doing homework. It's the only way to really understand it.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Gen chem professor gave a ton of extra credit and curved the hell out of stuff last semester and I know a few people in that class got some amazing grades. Dude wasn’t necessarily a bad professor but he sure as hell should not have been teaching gen chem 110. Current semester professor doesn’t do extra credit or curve but teaches at a way more appropriate level and practically phones in what will be on the quizzes/tests. Funny enough the guy who always used to answer questions and sometimes even correct the professor even though it looked like he slept a lot through class from last semester is also in my class this semester.

I’ve been using the same math tutor for years, even for my CCAF so I’ll definitely be using her again this summer since she is a teacher and needs the money especially during the break. On the one hand condensed class is rough but on the other I’ll have nothing else going on and can just focus on getting it done. Don’t need a fancy grade, just need to get calc done and my maths will be complete outside of the many, many chemistry classes I still have left.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 18, 2019

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I guess since I'm a chem major I never understood what was hard about gen chem. Is it just profs teaching like trash?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Aardvark posted:

I guess since I'm a chem major I never understood what was hard about gen chem. Is it just profs teaching like trash?

I think it might be because it's not like other classes. With math, everything builds off the previous stuff. With physics, everything goes back to conservation of *blank*. Chemistry seems to jump around a lot and has a bunch of different concepts that don't seem to mesh together until you have all the pieces.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
What he said but it doesn’t help when you have a guy who does presentations around the world on chemistry teaching at a waaaay higher level than the class. The guy had some job I couldn’t even understand and by all accounts from him he lived and breathed chemistry. Current professor has a much humbler crime lab day job and relates chemistry to easier to understand concepts like de-icing roads instead of getting into breathless rants about nuclear explosions.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I think it might be because it's not like other classes. With math, everything builds off the previous stuff. With physics, everything goes back to conservation of *blank*. Chemistry seems to jump around a lot and has a bunch of different concepts that don't seem to mesh together until you have all the pieces.

Hm, I suppose the puzzle aspect is why I was drawn to chemistry.

I suppose things like molecular orbital theory are a bit too much for gen chem. I didn't go back to those until physical chem and inorganic chem. Thinking about it, there are parts of gen chem that I still have never used in undergrad research or upper division classes like ICE tables.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So my college was delayed on getting me certified for benefits. They didn’t start until early last month. My BAH for the quarter has yet to pay out. Does the VA send over back pay when payments typically go out or at any random date?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

So my college was delayed on getting me certified for benefits. They didn’t start until early last month. My BAH for the quarter has yet to pay out. Does the VA send over back pay when payments typically go out or at any random date?

Yes

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Heh, "yes" is literally not a joke. It could come in a lump sum, or random dribs and drabs of random amounts calculated gently caress knows how.

It's usually all sorted within 30 days once the money starts, in my experience.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ok great thanks VA.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Does anybody know if the VA pays for a school's deposit? Or should I just pay out of pocket and call it good? The CSO at my school is out of the office and she's the only one who knows apparently.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Triggs posted:

Does anybody know if the VA pays for a school's deposit? Or should I just pay out of pocket and call it good? The CSO at my school is out of the office and she's the only one who knows apparently.

It should be deferred and rolled into the lump sum of tuition and everything else, either with a form you fill out for the FinAid/Bursar's/Certifying Official people.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
And just like that, the VA deposited all of my back pay yesterday—in three oddly-sized sums all at the same time so lol.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah I don’t think I ever got any payments consistently through the whole thing. Always random amounts at random times.

They also overpaid me I think $3,000 in BAH over a year or so, paid that back, then I owed them $5,000 and was getting nastygrams from my school as well on what I owed them. Thankfully the latter was mostly on my school and a bad financial advisor, but man. I had to call the VA and request an audit on my account: meaning someone actually sat down and double checked the numbers or some such. I think I ended up actually making money off that one in the end, but what a headache. Took about three months in the end.

Ultimately I think it was because my school adjusted tuition rates but billed the VA for the old value

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

It should be deferred and rolled into the lump sum of tuition and everything else, either with a form you fill out for the FinAid/Bursar's/Certifying Official people.

Interesting, the CSO said the VA won't pay it up front but didn't mention a deferral. Guess there's some more digging I have to do.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Triggs posted:

Interesting, the CSO said the VA won't pay it up front but didn't mention a deferral. Guess there's some more digging I have to do.

*Experiences may vary school to school. Talk to the FinAid and Bursar people to make sure, otherwise you might have to front it until the tuition payment kicks in.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This is the first spring break that I haven't limped into due to everything being due and exams every day. Feels good.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
If you are wondering where the last Bioethics seat went I grabbed it sorry guys. (Not sorry)

Overall it’s a pretty solid schedule except for a 6 hour break between my first thing in the morning class and an early evening class on Thursday. Guess just label that homework time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Learn you some :biotruths:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hah, no :biotruths:

Bioethics is an interesting subject. It's a mix of history, philosophy, and science. A run-down course should cover Walter Reed Yellow Fever, Tuskegee, and a couple of more modern incidents that are better known in-industry. There's also evolution of regulatory frameworks. Believe it or not, Germany had a (lovely) patient protection law in place by the time of the Holocaust. That led to the Nuremberg Code, the Helsinki Declaration, The Common Code, and the ICH G6 Good Clinical Practice Manual (my ethics bible). Fun fact: Japanese medical practitioners didn't really adopt bioethics until the 1990s. I wrote my final paper for bioethics on it since the delay was just so bizarre.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
A little nervous for next quarter, have 2 core classes and decided to go with EE509, Computational Intelligence which is mainly different types of AI, for the third. Not entirely sure if I have the background for it but Game Theory is full and not much else interesting fits.

We did finally get our advisor up on where we were with our project and come to some conclusions so just need to write my thesis now. Getting started has proven to be a challenge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
1 week until I can register for next semester. Let's see what hosed up horrors lie in wait for my schedule.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Now the really lovely part is staring down the barrel of re-taking A&P I/II, Micro, and Gen Chem I then Gen Chem II, Orgo I, and Biochem before I can really seriously think of applying to PA programs. Ooorrr deal with graduating and finding either a post-grad nursing program or a second bachelor's.

Hey I know this is a kind of old post but if you need any help with pre-med or PA/Nursing classes or applications please hit me up on the GiP discord, my name there is TQW. I'm a 4th year medical student now and I would be happy to help any mil/vet goons trying to break into the civilian medical game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The MSW program is virtual so that we do asynchronous work before class and then a once/week/class 80 minute session using modified Adobe Connect (Zoom next year) where you see everyone and talk like a normal class, just at your home. I preface this by saying that for one of my classes today, we sent 20 minutes during it to watch a TEDx talk and then discuss it. We did other reviews of material and whatnot but spending a quarter of "face-to-face" class time doing that was a bit :|